NFL Rumors: This theory on why Jamal Adams wants Jets to trade him makes a lot of sense

GaryM

by Brad Berreman 1 day ago
Jamal Adams, New York Jets. (Photo by Jim McIsaac/Getty Images)

Jamal Adams, New York Jets. (Photo by Jim McIsaac/Getty Images)

As Jamal Adams seeks a new contract and a trade away from the Jets, a new theory makes a ton of sense.

In concert with his frustration over contract talks, Jamal Adams would like the New York Jets to trade. There is surely a market for one of the best safeties in the NFL, but the Jets don’t seem inclined to trade him or ink a new deal with Adams anytime soon. Adams has a list of eight teams he would accept a trade to, perhaps even without a new contract.

The Jets’ asking price is high, as it should be really, but any team would have a strong case to meet it and get Adams.

When all is said and done, we’re not sure where Adams will end up. But if he does magically find his way to the Dallas Cowboys — a long-running expectation of how this all ends — the Giants may end up being the ones to blame for all of this.

Why Would Jamal Adams Want The Jets To Trade Him?

Via 247 Sports, ESPN NFL insider Jeff Darlington went on SportsCenter Saturday morning with a theory on Adams’ situation.

“His father, George Adams, who he is very close to was drafted by the New York Giants in 1985 as a first-round pick,” “The next year in training camp, after having a pretty solid rookie season, he suffered a severe hip injury that ultimately ended his career. George Adams has since had two hip replacement surgeries. He never got paid, essentially, the big dollars for his NFL career. Jamal Adams looks at that situation and says ‘I need to get paid as soon as I can because you never know when this game is taken away from you.’

On the Jets side of it, Jamal Adams does have two years remaining on his contract. It does feel early to pay a guy who is on a team-friendly deal at this point. You could see both sides. But certainly, when you add that personal side of the story with Jamal Adams, you start to understand why he’s so passionate and motivated to get that money.”

The idea Adams and Jets head coach Adam Gase don’t get along is convenient, with Gase naturally dismissing it recently. But general manager Joe Douglas was hired to be in concert with Gase, so the organization’s stance on Adams and trading him/giving him a new contract is naturally Gase’s too.

Adams deserves to become the highest-paid safety in the NFL when he gets his second contract. But his father’s story informs his feelings, and the sense of urgency to get paid that all football players feel.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

This theory makes a lot of sense, I am sure his father is part of the equation. However, this does not excuse Adams methods. The way he is going about it hurts both his brand, and the Jets options for a trade, if that is what they decide. Hopefully this situation quiets down to where it can be resolved in a way that benefits the team.

• Upvote 4

I don't blame Adams for wanting his money - that he has coming to him - and he does have it coming. The Jets need to do something here - not nothing and expect the situation to resolve itself. I can see Adams sitting and not playing another down until he gets paid and after a year of sitting the Jets will be in a tough spot. Adams can sit knowing eventually he will get paid as he is near the top player at his position in the world. So what to do - Joe Douglas needs to come up with a solution. Since the Jets have Adams for another 2 years why not give Adams a 2 year deal as the highest paid safety and after that Adams can resign for a bigger deal or leave - but then the Jets don't get anything in return for him except a comp pick. Hmmm. Adams probably wants a longer deal anyway. This is a tough one!

Mangold brought out a good point about the NFL is a business and Jamal should understand any GM will take calls on any player.   The Jets are into Adams for $14MM over the next two years. He wants $20MM a year now? 

Yes, the Jets have been beaten in the past.  JD will do the right thing I hope.

Jamal Baby.png

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 4

18 minutes ago, GaryM said:

This theory makes a lot of sense, I am sure his father is part of the equation. However, this does not excuse Adams methods. The way he is going about it hurts both his brand, and the Jets options for a trade, if that is what they decide. Hopefully this situation quiets down to where it can be resolved in a way that benefits the team.

Bull do do. Ok I’m a social worker. Make high 50’s. Save lives. Hey boss I demand a raise NOW!
Boss:  Ok raise yourself out you’re seat- you’re fired. 

First he’s not the best safety in football. Maybe top 10-15 for what he does which is basically a run stopper. There’s a number of safeties I take over him and would cost way way less for pretty much same production. 2nd, he’s got a contract. Honor it or sit home eating Big Macs. The cajones on this fraud are just mind boggling.  

3rd Just because you are a pro football player doesn’t translate into your employer giving you job security. You earn it. In time. And act with class. Not like a whining, overhyped clown who shows zero loyalty to the team that drafted you and has already invested millions in you. This dude has no gratitude whatsoever. Tailgate party when JD gets rid of this albatross. 

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

If Jamal was worried about getting injured playing football, he should have went to law school 

Lmao, Jamal said that a perfect place to die is on a football field as a response to someone asking him about CTE.  

He doesn't give a sh*t.

4 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

"New York Jets rookie defensive back Jamal Adams called the football field a "perfect place to die" after being asked about chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE) during a fan event Monday."

Beat me to it.

32 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

"New York Jets rookie defensive back Jamal Adams called the football field a "perfect place to die" after being asked about chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE) during a fan event Monday."

Was just about to mention this.

59 minutes ago, Columbia Jet Fan said:

Can't he just buy a 1 year insurance policy to protect him against this? You hear about college athletes always doing it...

Sure can.  Not cheap but the ROI is certainly there in regards to the risk.  Lloyds of London provides these kinds of policies all the time.  He could essentially pay for a limited policy that protects him if he's injured and there's a gap between the value of his next contract and some reasonable number that consensus says he'd likely get (ex. $15-16M per year).  He pays something like $200K (I really have no idea how much it costs) and if he never gets hurt his next contract will make that $200K seem like a one-night bar tab.  But if he does get hurt, recovers, but has "diminished value" and can only secure something like a 2-year, $20M deal then Lloyds would pay the difference (the extra $5-6M per year that he lost out on).  At least, this is my understanding of how these things tend to work.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

More fakery from Jamal....  Wasn't this the dude that was being called out by former teamates for hiding under a table when some of his LSU teammates got into a scuffle..... That's the real Jamal.

• Upvote 2

Cute story that totally doesn't wash.  Because if its so necessary that
Adams gets his money now why did he publish that list of 7-8 teams that he
would go to without getting an extension?  His camp is trying to clean 
up the mess his mouth/social media has caused, not working

2 hours ago, Nixhead said:

I don't blame Adams for wanting his money - that he has coming to him - and he does have it coming. The Jets need to do something here - not nothing and expect the situation to resolve itself. I can see Adams sitting and not playing another down until he gets paid and after a year of sitting the Jets will be in a tough spot. Adams can sit knowing eventually he will get paid as he is near the top player at his position in the world. So what to do - Joe Douglas needs to come up with a solution. Since the Jets have Adams for another 2 years why not give Adams a 2 year deal as the highest paid safety and after that Adams can resign for a bigger deal or leave - but then the Jets don't get anything in return for him except a comp pick. Hmmm. Adams probably wants a longer deal anyway. This is a tough one!

Didn't pay attention to the latest CBA did you? 

If he holds out the Jets automatically get another year of control.  Contrary to what you may think Adams can't sit knowing he'll get an unwarranted contract. The Jets can do nothing and the only one it hurts is Adams. So no they shouldn't make him the highest paid safety on a two year deal. That's literally one of the most dumb things I've heard here.... Lock a deal up for the amount of time  we already have him under control for an absurd amount of money with literally no benefit to the team at a time when the cap will almost surely regress next year.

His rookie contract is $22.25 Mil not $2 Mil. He's already paid handsomely for his services and looks like a tone deaf fool, just like most of the people defending him.

• Upvote 3

Jamals camp trying to spin his recent behavior into anything other than him being a diva is quite fun to watch. First it’s Gases fault now it’s a sob story about his dad lol. We get why you want to get paid who wouldn’t want a raise ASAP? Yeah you deserve it but sometimes you don’t get the things you deserve when you want them. Welcome to the real world!

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I heard the interview the other day and also thought, that seems to be the most reasonable report I've seen to date.

Then I realized that if Adams got injured tomorrow and never paid another down of football, he'd be walking away with 22 million dollars for his career.  

When I remembered that tidbit, I realized someone in Adams camp finally realized how crappy they are looking in this scenario and gave this story to lighten the PR hit a bit.

Bingo.  Just by Maccagnan pulling the trigger on taking Adams at # 6, he was immediately rich in this league.  

No doubt, that money is child's play compared to what he'll make on his 2nd contract (wherever that is).  But this isn't his Dad's situation.  He's not going hungry (though he might end up bankrupt, like many pro athletes do, given his spending habits).  Nor has Adams even brought that up in his many tweets.

2 hours ago, Lurker89 said:

More fakery from Jamal....  Wasn't this the dude that was being called out by former teamates for hiding under a table when some of his LSU teammates got into a scuffle..... That's the real Jamal.

Hahaha I never heard about this until now.  This is amazing.  What a b*tch Jamal is.  The gall for Adams, the most self-promoting player in the league, to rip on Fournette for asking to get selected to the Pro Bowl.  A simply astounding lack of self-awareness.

https://nypost.com/2019/11/15/jamal-adams-leonard-fournette-twitter-feud-gets-nasty-over-quitting-accusation/

Jamal Adams-Leonard Fournette Twitter feud gets nasty over ‘quitting’ accusation

November 15, 2019 | 4:44pm

A Pro Bowl request turns into LSU bad blood.

Former LSU teammates Leonard Fournette and Jamal Adams are accustomed to dueling on the field. On Friday morning, they chose a different arena: Twitter.

The entertaining spat began when the Jaguars running back quote tweeted a message from the team’s official account in a plea for a spot on the Pro Bowl team.

“I know with all this fighting going on yall please fight for me and vote for the pro bowl thanks” tweeted Fournette, referencing Thursday’s Myles Garrett-Mason Rudolph brawl.

Adams quote-tweeted Fournette and called him out in a tweet that has since been deleted: “Bruh we get it…. Stop being thirsty!”

Fournette, offended by Adams’ response, wrote back: “Now Jamal don’t start with the thirsty stuff, you said you had a chip on yo shoulders since 05 boy yo ass ain’t know what a chip was back than.” He further escalated the situation by bringing up an incident from their college days at LSU where he alleges Adams hid under a table during a fight at a party.

“Jamal ain’t tell y’all our sophomore year in college they had a fight at lance party and he was under the table hiding ,where that chip on yo shoulder was than"

Shots fired. Adams responded to the harassment and called Fournette out for missing the last game of their junior season against Texas A&M, as well as the Citrus Bowl against Louisville.

Fournette had played through the season battling a high ankle sprain he suffered during a preseason scrimmage in 2016. Fournette sat out the final two games games in order to avoid further injury before the draft. Both were part of the 2017 NFL Draft class. The Jags’ running back took the opportunity to remind the world that he was selected ahead of Adams, who was taken sixth overall.

"still went number 4."

Seconds later, it looked like Fournette may have been deescalating the situation: “Say y’all I love @TheAdamsEra my brother 5Life”

Three minutes elapsed before the smack talk resumed.

“No real talk ima show y’all our practice clips from lsu I ran his ass over every practice word to my kids anybody played with us could testify too this”

Adams has not replied since accusing Fournette of faking an injury.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, GaryM said:

Adams deserves to become the highest-paid safety in the NFL when he gets his second contract. But his father’s story informs his feelings, and the sense of urgency to get paid that all football players feel.

Personally, I do not care in any way why Adams wants paid now or traded.  Everyone wants to be paid as much as possible, literally everyone.  We all have stories or reasons why we think we need it now or deserve it now or whathaveyou.

But that's not how it works in the NFL.  He has a contract.  A Contract his Union helped negotiate the terms of.  He can play on that contract, plain and simple.  If the price I want is available, I'd trade him.  If not, he can talk all he wants, but he'll play on his deal or he can sit out if he chooses.  His choice.