Cam Newton to Patriots (MERGED 4x)

11 minutes ago, Skeet Ulrich said:

You guys still haven't figured out that Darnold kinda sucks yet, huh?

Hmmm, by his consistent improvement his rookie year with horrible offensive coaching, or his 6-2 record in the final 8 games of a clueless Gase offense? no. No...l actually think we'd lose every game without the kid....like we did last season. He's special. With a ton of upside, something Scam Newton has none of. Cam dresses like a clown in post game speeches much more accurately than Sam though I will give you that.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, Paradis said:

i'm rather suprprised at how many of you seem to think this is a bad/kiss of death move for NE.... Cam is electric when his health is cooperating... 

Now he's going to be working w/ Josh McDaniels, a 3 headed back field and some youth at WR, and a good Oline.

They're still the team to beat.

I still think Buffalo wins the division, but yeah, I can see NE being right there with them now.

This just makes it even more unlikely the Jets  finish second and snare a WC. 

25 minutes ago, Skeet Ulrich said:

Been fighting injuries the past several years. If healthy I guarantee he puts up better numbers than QB 1 for the NYJ.

I just don’t think he has the accuracy for the timing plays with Edelman tbh. They won’t be running the same offense they did with Brady. I think more rollout deep ball plays, designed runs and RPO

9 minutes ago, slats said:

Up until this moment, I was concerned that Beli thought he had something special in Stidham. I’m now less concerned. 

This was my first thought also.

Then I came around to the idea of them giving Stidham a shot to start the season, while Newton got healthy.

Then I thought again, and said why would Cam sign a one year incentive laden deal unless he was told he’s going to start?

Which brought me all the way back full circle to Belichick is a diabolical genius, and I have no clue how he plays this.

17 minutes ago, Paradis said:

i'm rather suprprised at how many of you seem to think this is a bad/kiss of death move for NE.... Cam is electric when his health is cooperating... 

Well that's just it.  It won't.

He's an inaccurate thrower who is very dependent on his running abilities.  McCaffrey helped his accuracy and I suppose James White isn't a terrible replacement in that area of the field, but otherwise he's all but toast.  

Better than Stidham?  Has to be.  No way Belichick signs Newton if Stidham is "the guy".  Scary?  Not really.  It seemed like a slam dunk that Cam would end up in NE, but it shouldn't have taken THIS long for that to happen if the guy has something worthwhile left in the tank.  Just about anyone could have signed Newton to compete for a starting job by now, but they didn't.

• Upvote 3

15 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

He's an inaccurate thrower who is very dependent on his running abilities.  McCaffrey helped his accuracy and I suppose James White isn't a terrible replacement in that area of the field, but otherwise he's all but toast.  

Better than Stidham?  Has to be.  No way Belichick signs Newton if Stidham is "the guy".  Scary?  Not really.  It seemed like a slam dunk that Cam would end up in NE, but it shouldn't have taken THIS long for that to happen if the guy has something worthwhile left in the tank.  Just about anyone could have signed Newton to compete for a starting job by now, but they didn't.

Cam has overcame his flaws his whole career. His health is its own topic - but my god, you'd think after 20 YEARS OF NE handing our asses to us at will, Jets fan would learn their lesson. Never underestimate the Dark Lord, BB... Until they're turning on a spit over a fire, i'm assuming this is going to work in their favor... like everything does. 

• Sympathy 2

2 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Cam has overcame his flaws his whole career. His health is a topic of it's own - but my god.... you'd think after 20 YEARS OF NE handing out asses to us at will, Jets fan would learn their lesson. Never underestimate the Dark Lord, BB... Until they're turning on a spit over a fire, i'm assuming this is going to work in their favor... like everything does. 

Never said I don't fear the 2020 Pats.  It'll be NE and Buffalo duking it out for the division this year, whether Cam, Stidham, or Brian Hoyer is under center.  They still have Belichick and an excellent defense.

I'm just saying that adding Cam doesn't move the needle from "not scary" to "scary".  They were scary regardless.  Brady was the # 18 QB last year per DVOA and near the bottom of the league in air yards per attempt, and yet they still won 12 games.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

But his comp percentage In 2018 was his highest of his career. 
Idk, kinda stupid to write him off, especially with a HOF coach at his side. 

27 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Now he's going to be working w/ Josh McDaniels, a 3 headed back field and some youth at WR, and a good Oline.

people also are completely discounting Harry, and Sanu... Harry has had a crazy good offseason training and sanu has looked really good coming back from his injury.  

If both those players pan out, plus edelman, all those backs, and some new TE blood.  Could be a really good team, you cant count them out with a real threat at QB now. 

• Thumb Down 1

56 minutes ago, Paradis said:

It's going to be absolutely hilarious to necro this thread after Cam shreds our defense like a hot knife through butter 2 times this year.

5 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

He has to make it to Week 9 to have that opportunity.  

I get that his health is a question.  That said, when healthy, he's one of the most brutal QBs to gameplan for because he can beat you silly with his arm and his legs.  Don't like the idea of giving that type of weapon to BB and McDaniels.

Let's face it, with our luck, he's playing 16 games this year.

If you didn't see this coming, then you just weren't paying attention.  No way they were just going to hand the job to an inexperienced Jarett Stidham without any real competition.  Not sure how much Cam has left, but he is a former MVP being added to their QB room.  

• Upvote 1