Cam Newton to Patriots (MERGED 4x)

1 hour ago, Trolly McTrollface said:

I’ve been trying to figure how Belichick would ever get 9 or 10 wins out of that roster this season. If nothing else, this shows he isn’t giving up on the ‘20 season.

Not sure how much Newton will contribute right away, but I can see him stepping in for Stidham (or Hoyer) if he falters, and taking them on a run to the playoffs.

He's not stepping in for Stidham or Hoyer....he's the clear cut starter as he should be. Stidham and Hoyer are not viable QB's in this league.

2 minutes ago, Trolly McTrollface said:

I think Stidham wins the starting job, the more I think about it, this Newton signing will end up with him in the backup role.

He’s going to be a mentor, and insurance policy this year, ala Flacco with the Jets.

If you think Stidham beats out Newton that explains most of your posts on here. The Darnold/Flacco situation does not equal Stidham/Newton and it's not even close. Did you even watch the game last year when they inserted Stidham against us in a route? He was beyond awful and also sucked as a college QB.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 3

35 minutes ago, RobR said:

If you think Stidham beats out Newton that explains most of your posts on here. The Darnold/Flacco situation does not equal Stidham/Newton and it's not even close. Did you even watch the game last year when they inserted Stidham against us in a route? He was beyond awful and also sucked as a college QB.

*Route? ? It’s spelled rout, genius.

He didn’t suck in college, and lol at you posting another egomaniacal judgement based on what, about 10 minutes of playing time?

He threw maybe 4 passes in 2019. But yeah, you’ve seen enough. ?

Just now, Trolly McTrollface said:

He didn’t suck in college, and lol at you passing another inane judgement based on what, about 15 minutes of playing time?

He threw 4 passes, and completed 2 in 2019. But yeah, you’ve seen enough. ?

He sucked in college and was Hackenbergesque at times. He only threw a few passes in 2019 because he got yanked when Billichek thought he was going to blow a huge lead against us. He couldn't even handle mop-up duty.....but I'm guessing you missed that game....and all of his college games.

And now you think he'll start over Newton.....this was probably a done deal months ago.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, RobR said:

He sucked in college and was Hackenbergesque at times. He only threw a few passes in 2019 because he got yanked when Billichek thought he was going to blow a huge lead against us. He couldn't even handle mop-up duty.....but I'm guessing you missed that game....and all of his college games.

And now you think he'll start over Newton.....this was probably a done deal months ago.

Billichek... ?

Eh, he lasted this long for a reason, because rotator cuff tears (his initial surgery in 2017) is terribly hard to come back from.  If you are a Mets' fan, you'll remember Johan Santana pretty much derailed because of a rotator cuff.  

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3419559/

That study seemed to conclude that pitchers didn't seem to reach their pre-operative state, and took far more time to recover.  In a sport like football, where you can get tackled on that shoulder, it seems far more risky.  

I don't think this is going to be anywhere near the All-Pro Cam, because this seems very similar to our resigning of Revis Island at one point.  They're just not the same players.  I'm more interested in how Bellichek changes his offense, if he's going to go more towards an RPO based offense that limits the throws from Cam.  They went TE heavy in this draft, which makes me think it's going to be an offense similar to how the Ravens (and the Kapernick 49ers) set up.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, win4ever said:

Eh, he lasted this long for a reason, because rotator cuff tears (his initial surgery in 2017) is terribly hard to come back from.  If you are a Mets' fan, you'll remember Johan Santana pretty much derailed because of a rotator cuff.  

That study seemed to conclude that pitchers didn't seem to reach their pre-operative state, and took far more time to recover.  In a sport like football, where you can get tackled on that shoulder, it seems far more risky.  

I don't think this is going to be anywhere near the All-Pro Cam, because this seems very similar to our resigning of Revis Island at one point.  They're just not the same players.  I'm more interested in how Bellichek changes his offense, if he's going to go more towards an RPO based offense that limits the throws from Cam.  They went TE heavy in this draft, which makes me think it's going to be an offense similar to how the Ravens (and the Kapernick 49ers) set up.  

How do you know he's starting?

He'll probably be a back-up.

• Upvote 1

I’m pretty happy about this bc I think Cam is a mediocre qb.

however it does make sense for them.  As far as I can see this is less insurance with Stidhams passing and more about insurance regarding their very weak skill player situation (which is filled with rookies and unknowns).

in other words if you can’t generate offense, a good oline, a running game and Cam will put some guaranteed points on the board, at least enough to not be embarrassed.

Great, the one ******* year the Patriots suck they go out and get a former MVP qb cause the Panthers are incompetent. Watch, Newton will win comeback player of the year with Belichick winning coach of the year as the media jerks them off over how genius the Patriots are.
We also.have a former Suoerbowl MVP as our backup.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

7 hours ago, win4ever said:

Uhm dude, I don’t think n you need to use a baseball example to tell Jets fans about a rotator cuff injury.

• Upvote 1