Cam Newton to Patriots (MERGED 4x)

2 hours ago, playtowinthegame said:

Cam even on his last leg is better than that stiff Jarrett Stidham.

Stiffham is lucky if he wins the backup job. 

Here’s the thing.

As of today, it’s really impossible to argue that Stidham is any good. The only thing we can say is his HC and OC are both really good at their jobs, and they seem to like him. How much, is to be determined... I’m basing my opinion on their familiarity with him, and his potential, over an older, injured player.

As for Cam on his last leg? I don’t know my friend. The Panthers are on every week where I live. Don’t confuse the MVP Cam with the Cam he’s been recently. We’re talking two different players.

1 hour ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

LOLZ. What? I didn't even realize I was talking to you....

Didn't read any of your posts in this thread, so, narcissist much?

When you listened on Sirius, did they bring up the numbers in Cam’s deal?

My first thought last night was, “uh oh, we’re screwed”, then I remembered the QB I watched the last few years on local games down here, and pivoted to not even thinking he beats out Stidham.

if it’s a low cost one year incentive laden deal, as was rumored last night, I think they go into camp on equal footing, and the Pats would much prefer to see Stidham come out on top...

I ain't afraid of no ghost & Cam Newton is a Ghost of what he was. He has been outright AWFUL & injured now always. Best thing that could happen for the Jets is Cam wins the starting role, Stidham gets second helpings, Edelman catches Cams arm as it detaches from his body & now Stidham has to come in & learn how to play QB.

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Stidham is truly awful, this was the last straw for Bellichick

Didn’t watch the clip, but remember the play. but

There’s no way we could find plays like that from other young guys like Mayfield, Allen, Jones, Darnold and Murray, right?

40 minutes ago, Trolly McTrollface said:

Didn’t watch the clip, but remember the play. but

There’s no way we could find plays like that from other young guys like Mayfield, Allen, Jones, Darnold and Murray, right?

The point is he was picked off by Jamal.

1 hour ago, Jetster said:

I ain't afraid of no ghost & Cam Newton is a Ghost of what he was. He has been outright AWFUL & injured now always. Best thing that could happen for the Jets is Cam wins the starting role, Stidham gets second helpings, Edelman catches Cams arm as it detaches from his body & now Stidham has to come in & learn how to play QB.

hsi worst season is what Sam produced his first 2

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Trolly McTrollface said:

Here’s the thing.

As of today, it’s really impossible to argue that Stidham is any good. The only thing we can say is his HC and OC are both really good at their jobs, and they seem to like him. How much, is to be determined... I’m basing my opinion on their familiarity with him, and his potential, over an older, injured player.

As for Cam on his last leg? I don’t know my friend. The Panthers are on every week where I live. Don’t confuse the MVP Cam with the Cam he’s been recently. We’re talking two different players.

Cam Newton has been one of the worst starting QBs in the NFL over the last 4 years and is as durable as paper mache. There is literally no logical argument to suggest he has a good chance of performing at a high level. I think he gets cut at the end of TC

Stat" 8 QBs have thrown 1000+ passes since 2016 Bottom 5 in passer rating: 24. Mitch Trubisky (85.8) 25. Ryan Fitzpatrick (83.5) 26. Joe Flacco (83.0) *27. Cam Newton (82.6)* 28. Blake Bortles (81.0)

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Cam Newton has been one of the worst starting QBs in the NFL over the last 4 years and is as durable as paper mache. There is literally no logical argument to suggest he has a good chance of performing at a high level. I think he gets cut at the end of TC

Stat" 8 QBs have thrown 1000+ passes since 2016 Bottom 5 in passer rating: 24. Mitch Trubisky (85.8) 25. Ryan Fitzpatrick (83.5) 26. Joe Flacco (83.0) *27. Cam Newton (82.6)* 28. Blake Bortles (81.0)

Yeah, I agree.

you just backed up what I was trying to tell ptwtg with numbers, while I gave only my opinion.

I live in SC, and even though we get the Panthers every Sunday, I rarely watch them, I have seen (and read))enough about them to know how much Cam has struggled.

Its like when we signed Kalil last season. Everyone was excited about it here, but I got raked for saying he was washed up and that we’d regret it.

7 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Stidham is truly awful, this was the last straw for Bellichick

Belichick saw Jimmy G in practice and was so confident in him he wanted to trade or cut Brady

Belichick saw Stidham and was like “hey let’s sign the past his prime diva with injury problems galore”

2 hours ago, johnnysd said:

Listening to Beningo today rave about Belichick and Cam as this new nfl power couple that’s going to win multiple super bowls I was like “why even play the season?”

Can you imagine if the Jets signed the current version of Cam Newton in the pre-Darnold era?  The national and local media would be criticizing the move and pulling out the same old Jets crap. He would be portrayed as a damaged, injured, washed up QB and the Jets would be viewed as desperate.

Instead the Pats sign the same damaged, injured QB and it is stroke of genius!  Newton has a bum shoulder and a bum wheel. If he can't run, it hurts the Pats running game and it makes him an average to below average QB. If he can't find his pre-surgery accuracy, he better be able to run like Josh Adams. If he can't run or throw, which is quite possible, he's done.  I don't think he is that much a threat unless both his shoulder and his foot are fully healed, and even then how long before he is hurt again? There's a reason he wasn't signed until almost July.  Why didn't other QB needy teams like Jacksonville or Chicago sign him?

5 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Listening to Beningo today rave about Belichick and Cam as this new nfl power couple that’s going to win multiple super bowls I was like “why even play the season?”

Anything the **Cheatriots** do is brilliant according to the media. I mean seriously Belichick could sign Sanchez and people would be saying what a fantastic fit he will be for the Patriot offense and how the Pats will improve his game. Or when they cut Newton it will all be "the Patriots know better than anyone else when to let a player go" when they just lauded the signing 3 months prior

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, johnnysd said:

Anything the **Cheatriots** do is brilliant according to the media. I mean seriously Belichick could sign Sanchez and people would be saying what a fantastic fit he will be for the Patriot offense and how the Pats will improve his game. Or when they cut Newton it will all be "the Patriots know better than anyone else when to let a player go" when they just lauded the signing 3 months prior

If Cam sucks and/or gets injured - “look for you see!  Bill Belichick just clinched Trevor Lawrence!”

20 hours ago, Philc1 said:

No it was based on the GOAT Brady being able to pick apart everyone and refs looking the other way when the pats overtly cheated

One guy in particular who went to the Patriots and didn't fit in was Chad Johnson. Who was a very good top WR at least earlier in his career and he apparently could not learn the NEP offense and was unproductive.  IMO they could have won without the cheating. But this is a part of Belichick he wants to do anything to win incl that it's his core belief. Use any advantage possible. He probably and maybe rightly thinks other teams are doing the same thing. Then don't get caught stupid!

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

One guy in particular who went to the Patriots and didn't fit in was Chad Johnson. Who was a very good top WR at least earlier in his career and he apparently could not learn the NEP offense and was unproductive.  IMO they could have won without the cheating. But this is a part of Belichick he wants to do anything to win incl that it's his core belief. Use any advantage possible. He probably and maybe rightly thinks other teams are doing the same thing. Then don't get caught stupid!

Chad Johnson from what I heard didn’t even bother to learn the plays

That’s actually the biggest issue with signing Cam this late.  He has 2 months to learn McDaniels’ entire playbook after he had the same playbook in Carolina forever

13 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

they've won because of cheating

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

• 2 months later...

Cam officially named starter.  He was named a team captain as well.

https://www.nfl.com/news/cam-newton-patriots-starting-quarterback

Cam Newton named Patriots' starting quarterback

Published: Sep 03, 2020 at 03:47 PM

Headshot_Author_Kevin-Patra_2020

Kevin Patra

Around the NFL Writer

Bill Belichick didn't wait until the eve of Week 1 to name Tom Brady's successor.

The Patriots named Cam Newton the starter during a team meeting Thursday, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported per a source informed of the decision.

The Boston Globe first reported the news.

Newton earning the starting gig seemed obvious when he signed an incentive-laden deal with New England that included just $550,000 guaranteed on a $1.05 million base salary in late June.

With little ramp-up time to learn the offense, however, it wasn't a given that Belichick would hand Newton the starting gig off the bat.

As training camp wore on, it became obvious that the job would be Newton's. With Jarrett Stidham dealing with a hip injury, more and more reps went to Newton, indicating he was being groomed for the starting gig.

NFL Network's Mike Giardi, who attended Pats practices, noted that it wasn't always pretty with Newton as he was learning the system, including some errant throws and miscues, but the former NFL MVP was clearly the best QB.

Throughout the process, Belichick continually heaped praise upon Newton -- to an extent we rarely saw through large stretches of Brady's tenure. Twice in the past 10 days, Belichick publicly celebrated Newton's ability to pick up the offense and the former Pro Bowler's work ethic. In addition to earning the role of starting QB, Newton was also named a team captain on Thursday.

With the formality of naming Newton the starter out of the way, the Pats can now focus on building an offense around the QB's unique skill set, which is vastly different than Brady's. If Newton is healthy, he should help the Pats battle for their 12th straight AFC East division title.

Health will be the biggest question with Newton after he missed all but two games last year due to a foot injury and underwent multiple shoulder surgeries. If this is the year the 31-year-old finally stays healthy, the Patriots have a massive bargain at QB. If Newton gets injured again, Stidham is next in line.

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Cam officially named starter.  He was named a team captain as well.

https://www.nfl.com/news/cam-newton-patriots-starting-quarterback

Cam Newton named Patriots' starting quarterback

Published: Sep 03, 2020 at 03:47 PM

Headshot_Author_Kevin-Patra_2020

Kevin Patra

Around the NFL Writer

Bill Belichick didn't wait until the eve of Week 1 to name Tom Brady's successor.

The Patriots named Cam Newton the starter during a team meeting Thursday, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported per a source informed of the decision.

The Boston Globe first reported the news.

Newton earning the starting gig seemed obvious when he signed an incentive-laden deal with New England that included just $550,000 guaranteed on a $1.05 million base salary in late June.

With little ramp-up time to learn the offense, however, it wasn't a given that Belichick would hand Newton the starting gig off the bat.

As training camp wore on, it became obvious that the job would be Newton's. With Jarrett Stidham dealing with a hip injury, more and more reps went to Newton, indicating he was being groomed for the starting gig.

NFL Network's Mike Giardi, who attended Pats practices, noted that it wasn't always pretty with Newton as he was learning the system, including some errant throws and miscues, but the former NFL MVP was clearly the best QB.

Throughout the process, Belichick continually heaped praise upon Newton -- to an extent we rarely saw through large stretches of Brady's tenure. Twice in the past 10 days, Belichick publicly celebrated Newton's ability to pick up the offense and the former Pro Bowler's work ethic. In addition to earning the role of starting QB, Newton was also named a team captain on Thursday.

With the formality of naming Newton the starter out of the way, the Pats can now focus on building an offense around the QB's unique skill set, which is vastly different than Brady's. If Newton is healthy, he should help the Pats battle for their 12th straight AFC East division title.

Health will be the biggest question with Newton after he missed all but two games last year due to a foot injury and underwent multiple shoulder surgeries. If this is the year the 31-year-old finally stays healthy, the Patriots have a massive bargain at QB. If Newton gets injured again, Stidham is next in line.

Figures.  His competition is Stidham who sucks and is hurt and a Hoyer who is a worse Fitzpatrick 

• 3 months later...
On 6/28/2020 at 8:42 PM, Paradis said:

i'm rather suprprised at how many of you seem to think this is a bad/kiss of death move for NE.... Cam is electric when his health is cooperating... 

Now he's going to be working w/ Josh McDaniels, a 3 headed back field and some youth at WR, and a good Oline.

They're still the team to beat.

On 6/28/2020 at 9:39 PM, Mogglez said:

It's going to be absolutely hilarious to necro this thread after Cam shreds our defense like a hot knife through butter 2 times this year.

Happy Fun GIF

• Post of the Week 1

32 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

Happy Fun GIF

lol dude your closet of bad takes is nothing short of a gas chamber. 

He hasn't been good. thankfully.... and your set up for a win-win at the end of the season, whether you get to pat yourself on the back, or cam hot knife's us and the tank is sealed.