Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Jetsfan80

Chiefs' Chris "Jamal" Jones looking for $20M per year 'or I won't play'

Recommended Posts

He must be a Jamal Adams follower on social media.

 

https://www.nfl.com/news/chris-jones-looking-for-20m-per-year-or-i-won-t-play

Tuesday, Jun 30, 2020 10:29 PM

 

  •  

Chris Jones looking for $20M per year 'or I won't play'

f6b7udz3xm3jglfakq9q.svg

Grant Gordon

NFL.COM DIGITAL CONTENT PRODUCER

 

Standout defensive lineman Chris Jones and his Super Bowl-champion Chiefs have until July 15 to work out a long-term deal.

However, if Jones, who the team applied the franchise tag to in March, doesn't get the deal he's desiring, it might be well past mid-July until Kansas City sees the uber-talented DL again.

NFL Network's Mike Garafolo reported Tuesday on NFL Total Access that Jones has "always viewed himself as a $20 million-plus" per-year player, but that the Chiefs have never seen him in such a light and have never offered him that substantial an amount. Hence, Garafolo added there is "a lot of work to be done," if a long-term pact is to be had and Garafolo's not confident it will happen.

Jones, a 2019 Pro Bowler, replied via Twitter to a reply to a video of Garafolo's report that a holdout might be in store.

"Or I won't play. Le'Veon Bell told me about this," Jones' tweet read.

Bell famously -- or infamously, pending on your viewpoint or rooting interest -- held out all of the 2018 season while he was with the Pittsburgh Steelers seeking a lofty contract. He was eventually released and signed a lucrative deal with the New York Jets.

Jones, 25, is set to make $16.1 million during the 2020 season on the franchise tag and currently there are only two defensive tackles making north of $20 million annually, per Over the Cap, and that's the Rams' Aaron Donald and the Colts' DeForest Buckner.

Jones, whose 87.6 grade via Pro Football Focus was the seventh-best among interior defensive linemen in 2019, is a four-year pro who really burst upon the scene in 2018 when he tallied 15.5 sacks. Over the last two seasons and 29 games played, he has 24.5 sacks. Aside from his statistics, though, Jones can play all along the line and impacts a game like few others.

Should he hold out, not only would it likely be a blow to the chemistry of the reigning Super Bowl champions, it would also take one of the most talented young defensive players in the league off the field.

It seems as though the honeymoon may well be over for the champs.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Chris Jones is much better than Jamal lol 

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jamal Adams can kiss my ass. 

  • Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, KRL said:

Jones is the focal point of their defense, without him KC's 
defense is a joke:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/3044859/chris-jones

Jones situation is like Bell not Adams.  Jones played out his
deal got tagged and if he doesn't get what he wants he can sit
out with no penalty.  Adams has two years left on his deal and is
throwing a "social media tantrum" trying to get a new deal

Hold out Chris Jones - they’re totally disrespecting you.    Get your money now because when Patrick Mahomes gets paid- how much money will be left for you.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, HessStation said:

Does anybody really care about pro sports anymore? As entertainment sure, but if you still lose sleep over this sh*t I don’t get you

I suppose if any of my teams were successful, I'd care more.

I like talking sports on JN more than actually watching sports, these days.  There's been no sports whatsoever but I've spent a great deal of time here.  It's entertaining here.  The actual games?  Not so much, typically.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, HessStation said:

Does anybody really care about pro sports anymore? As entertainment sure, but if you still lose sleep over this sh*t I don’t get you

Why wouldn’t we care anymore?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He's 25 and a DLineman.  A year off won't hurt his market value if he truly decides to sit out.  In fact, if there was ever a year to do it then this uncertain Coronavirus season might not be a bad one to skip.  He's not necessarily dumb for playing hardball here.

  • Post of the Week 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, More Cowbell said:

Adams is an excellent football player, the best on the team. We should want to retain him. 

Mosley is the best player on the team.  And we are retaining Adams, currently.  He's under contract the next 2 seasons.

  • Upvote 2
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

I suppose if any of my teams were successful, I'd care more.

This.

I don't think I'd be too upset debating about whether our Pro Bowl DLineman was going to hold out after we just won the Super Bowl.  Nice problem to have.

  • Upvote 2
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

This.

I don't think I'd be too upset debating about whether our Pro Bowl DLineman was going to hold out after we just won the Super Bowl.  Nice problem to have.

 

Right?  They have a QB on a GOAT track.  Missing a pass rusher on the DL, albeit an excellent one, won't significantly impact their chances at winning more Super Bowls.  

How much do you think Mahomes is going to get on his new deal?  $45M per?  $50M per?  More?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, HessStation said:

Does anybody really care about pro sports anymore? As entertainment sure, but if you still lose sleep over this sh*t I don’t get you

I don't see how anybody gets excited about this anymore as well.

 

NBA?  I actually winder who are these morons paying hundreds of dollars to see a game?  

NFL, NHL, MLB  I may go to one game a year each, if that.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, More Cowbell said:

I just want to say this is becoming the "how can i bitch slap Adams today" forum.

He is in no way connected to this except for the obsession some posters have with him. Adams is an excellent football player, the best on the team. We should want to retain him. 

I think we do... great player but not 20M worth.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

People say that Leveon Bell was not smart for holding out, because he cannot re-earn the money he lost in 2018.  He signed with the Jets for $35mm guaranteed, or about 2x he would have made in 2018.  Leveon messed up by holding out, not getting paid a season, and then signing basically the same deal with the Jets as he could have with the Steelers.   Leveon should have taken the money from the Steelers and played in 2018.  

But if Chris Jones would rather forego playing for one year on the tag this year so he can get a guarantee of twice that next year, if that is what we think he can do, I can see that.   If I am an NFL player I am focusing on getting that big payday-the $20mm+ if you can get it and be set for life, and then after that do what you can.

The Cousins strategy worked for him, but if he got hit like Alex Smith it looked less good.  

Jamal holds few cards, really.  The right answer to me is for the Jets to guarantee him 3 years now at Eddie Jackson numbers, with a downward escalator if the salary cap goes down.   Every two years they can look at it again, with the ability to franchise him.   But if he wants a guarantee now, he is not getting top, top dollar.  His choice is to play out his contract and then sign for the highest bidder.  He can do that-players do, like Mosley did. But there is risk there.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, varjet said:

People say that Leveon Bell was not smart for holding out, because he cannot re-earn the money he lost in 2018.  He signed with the Jets for $35mm guaranteed, or about 2x he would have made in 2018.  Leveon messed up by holding out, not getting paid a season, and then signing basically the same deal with the Jets as he could have with the Steelers. That is where he messed up.

But if Chris Jones would rather forego playing for one year on the tag this year so he can get a guarantee of twice that next year, if that is what we think he can do, I can see that.   If I am an NFL player I am focusing on getting that big payday-the $20mm+ if you can get it and be set for life, and then after that do what you can.

The Cousins strategy worked for him, but if he got hit like Alex Smith it looked less good.  

Jamal holds few cards, really.  The right answer to me is for the Jets to guarantee him 3 years now at Eddie Jackson numbers, with a downward escalator if the salary cap goes down.   Every two years they can look at it again, with the ability to franchise him.   But if he wants a guarantee now, he is not getting top, top dollar.  His choice is to play out his contract and then sign for the highest bidder.  He can do that-players do, like Mosley did. But there is risk there.  

What if bell would have torn his Achilles the year he held out instead of playing? You think he would have gotten a similar contract or would he have been lucky to have gotten a 1 year 5 mill deal? I don’t think he messed up at all. He took 35mill guaranteed versus playing on a 1 year deal with no protection. It only takes one fluke play to ruin a career. Bell played it smart and made sure that if that fluke play happens, he has nothing to worry about.

  • Post of the Week 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Chris Jones is a top 5 DT in the NFL. He has the pass rushing skillset to get close to 20mil a year. Donald and Buckner are already making 20mil a year but not sure if Jones is close to Donald's level, probably closer to Buckner.

He has a case to get that money, KC's defense is hot garbage without him and Honey Badger. At the same time, i doubt signing Chris Jones is KC's top priotity right now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bell may not be the best person to model your holdout over...he ended up with less money

  • Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

 

Right?  They have a QB on a GOAT track.  Missing a pass rusher on the DL, albeit an excellent one, won't significantly impact their chances at winning more Super Bowls.  

How much do you think Mahomes is going to get on his new deal?  $45M per?  $50M per?  More?

 

Too much.

 

 

 

 

And worth every penny.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, extmenace said:

What if bell would have torn his Achilles the year he held out instead of playing? You think he would have gotten a similar contract or would he have been lucky to have gotten a 1 year 5 mill deal? I don’t think he messed up at all. He took 35mill guaranteed versus playing on a 1 year deal with no protection. It only takes one fluke play to ruin a career. Bell played it smart and made sure that if that fluke play happens, he has nothing to worry about.

I don’t think those are the facts.  I think Bell could have signed the Jets’ deal with the Steelers in 2018 and received a guarantee similar to what the Jets provided.

So Bell signed the same deal with the Jets that he did with the Steelers, except that he lost a year of work.  Bell is out $14mm unless he can find a way to play a year longer than he wanted to for that money.  I don’t think that is happening.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/leveon-bell-reportedly-turned-down-a-monstrous-70-million-deal-from-the-steelers/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mr. Jones, I support your bold statement, as you don't have a degree or any verifiable vocational skills I wish you luck in your new life as a bouncer or private security. I don't think you'll be making the amount of money you think you deserve though. 

jason bateman dodgeball GIF

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Mosley is the best player on the team.  And we are retaining Adams, currently.  He's under contract the next 2 seasons.

Really, because I haven't  seen Mosely play a complete game as a Jet so how do you make that statement. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, southparkcpa said:

I think we do... great player but not 20M worth.

There is a slew of people who don't  want him here because they're  feelings seem to be hurt.  It's  like hate on Adams 24/7

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No way I’d pay a Fatass with bad character 20 mil

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

See, Jamal.  If you'd just been more direct then things would be so much easier. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Really, because I haven't  seen Mosely play a complete game as a Jet so how do you make that statement. 

You know that's funny, but true. I didn't even think about it until you mentioned it. It's just that Mosely in one partial game left an impression on some of us of an impact player which we haven't seen in what seems like decades. The moment he went down the dynamic of the game changed entirely. I think he had as many pick 6s in that partial game as Jamal has in three years. Mosley also had 3 passes defensed that game whereas guess how many Jamal had all year.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Really, because I haven't  seen Mosely play a complete game as a Jet so how do you make that statement. 

Mosley made more impact in one partial game than Adams has made in his career to date.  And people like to operate like the early years of his career didn't happen.  He has an impressive resume that included 4 Pro Bowl appearances.  And I say this as someone who didn't want to sign him at all.

And you didn't address the 2nd part, that he is indeed being retained.  Under the terms of his rookie deal.  So what's next?

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

I just want to say this is becoming the "how can i bitch slap Adams today" forum.

He is in no way connected to this except for the obsession some posters have with him. Adams is an excellent football player, the best on the team. We should want to retain him. 

You are right.  The article implied that Jamal is looking to holdout and nothing is even remotely indicated that Is happening anywhere...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

He's 25 and a DLineman.  A year off won't hurt his market value if he truly decides to sit out.  In fact, if there was ever a year to do it then this uncertain Coronavirus season might not be a bad one to skip.  He's not necessarily dumb for playing hardball here.

There also might be a lot less money to go around next year if the cap goes down a significant amount.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, pdxgreen said:

See, Jamal.  If you'd just been more direct then things would be so much easier. 

You mean that shouting comments out the window of your $150K Mercedes towards a fan in a parking lot who is recording you isn't a good strategy to send a message to the Jets organization?

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Mosley made more impact in one partial game than Adams has made in his career to date.  And people like to operate like the early years of his career didn't happen.  He has an impressive resume that included 4 Pro Bowl appearances.  And I say this as someone who didn't want to sign him at all.

And you didn't address the 2nd part, that he is indeed being retained.  Under the terms of his rookie deal.  So what's next?

Adams sealed the Dallas and Giants game last season. Mosley played in two games and we lost both. That is a rediculous  statement.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

Adams sealed the Dallas and Giants game last season. Mosley played in two games and we lost both. That is a rediculous  statement.

He had very nice games against the Cowboys and Giants, no doubt.  But Daniel Jones was on pace to set the fumble record by a QB.  Lots of people did that to him that year.  And meanwhile people who saw Jamal's "flashy" plays against Dallas and the Giants ignore the yeomen's work the secondary had to do behind him as he was busy blitzing in order to allow those wins to happen.

Mosley was absolutely dominating the Buffalo game.  He had a pick 6 AND a Fumble Recovery, plus 2 Pass Deflections (Adams only had 7 all year).  The moment he got hurt, the game was lost, primarily because the Adams-led defense couldn't stop a nosebleed.

Mosley >>> Adams.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  



Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company
×
×
  • Create New...