Chiefs' Chris "Jamal" Jones looking for $20M per year 'or I won't play'

54 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Let me see, maybe I can hang some curtains by the cerebral cortex.  

You can live in mine if I can live in yours but we have to go shopping for curtains together. I'm partial to Kelly Green but I'm open to Gotham Green as well. 

We can have sleep overs, you can show me your Jamallpro posters and I'll show you my Incognito action figure with straight jacket and  baseball bat swinging action. 

Don't mind the mess in here I can't seem to stop collecting baggage.

56 minutes ago, Lurker89 said:

I keep responding because thats my idea of a fun game ..... I went back and forth with @Defense Wins Championships for two weeks because it was fun knowing I could take 15 seconds out of my day with a post directed at him and he would post an essay sized response taking 20 minutes out of his. ? That's internet fun in my book. Nothing like intentionally wasting the time of those who have no impulse control.

And ummmm you still haven't apologized to the disabled community for your hateful use of the R-word you ableist swine.

You're  right, comparing you to anyone who is actually retarded  was pretty mean.....  to the retarded people.  What was I thinking.

Btw, retarded means slow. Nice to know where your head is at. 

29 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

You're  right, comparing you to anyone who is actually retarded  was pretty mean.....  to the retarded people.  What was I thinking.

Btw, retarded means slow. Nice to know where your head is at. 

DATEDOFFENSIVE
less advanced in mental, physical, or social development than is usual for one's age.

I don't know man .... The internet dictionary labels it as a dated and offensive term.... You might want to write a formal apology to those of us  less mentally gifted than yourself, as our developmental handicap is not our fault and you have been unduly hurtful and offensive.

You're an easy bait, try not to swallow the hook love.

@bitonti at least knows how the game is played and has a decent repertoire of moves. I think you might be a more fun mark though.

For someone who is as smart as you are, your syntax is all screwed up.

P.s. I hope we can still go shopping for curtains together I have a lot of fun plans for our sleepover.?

On 7/1/2020 at 12:28 PM, Embrace the Suck said:

Mr. Jones, I support your bold statement, as you don't have a degree or any verifiable vocational skills I wish you luck in your new life as a bouncer or private security. I don't think you'll be making the amount of money you think you deserve though. 

jason bateman dodgeball GIF

This is the tried and true response from fans who typically feel under appreciated at home or work.

The old “take it or leave it” they’ve been told all their lives, because they can be replaced very easily. They want so badly to hear the same be said to some star athlete who actually has a skill people will pay big money for.

Heres the problem with your little scenario. Mr. Jones (or Mr. Adams) have that type of skill, so if their boss tries to act tough and tell them go get a job as a bouncer, they can laugh in his face, secure in the knowledge someone else will gladly give them millions and millions of dollars.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Lurker89 said:
DATEDOFFENSIVE
less advanced in mental, physical, or social development than is usual for one's age.

I don't know man .... The internet dictionary labels it as a dated and offensive term.... You might want to write a formal apology to those of us  less mentally gifted than yourself, as our developmental handicap is not our fault and you have been unduly hurtful and offensive.

You're an easy bait, try not to swallow the hook love.

@bitonti at least knows how the game is played and has a decent repertoire of moves. I think you might be a more fun mark though.

For someone who is as smart as you are, your syntax is all screwed up.

P.s. I hope we can still go shopping for curtains together I have a lot of fun plans for our sleepover.?

What was that you said about writing a 5 second response and having the other person write an 15  minute essay? I mean I actually have you looking stuff up on the internet dictionary.

So Funny GIF by memecandy

Honestly, this is getting a bit tired now and is way off topic. I'm sure you are going to write another long winded response, probably something about how unsanitary it is to spit up what you're drinking. Have at it but you are really boring me at this point so I won't  be responding. 

18 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

What was that you said about writing a 5 second response ans having the other person write an 15  minute essay?

There we go now you're up on the take. ?

However if you think that took me 15 minutes you are sorely mistaken my dear man,  I moonlight as a stenographer.

I'm saving the thing that takes 15 minutes for our sleepover.

sexy chris farley GIF

On 7/1/2020 at 10:00 AM, KRL said:

Jones is the focal point of their defense, without him KC's 
defense is a joke:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/3044859/chris-jones

Jones situation is like Bell not Adams.  Jones played out his
deal got tagged and if he doesn't get what he wants he can sit
out with no penalty.  Adams has two years left on his deal and is
throwing a "social media tantrum" trying to get a new deal

Also, Jones plays a much more important position where the top players get 20M or more. If the chiefs gave him 20M per year, he'd be the 4th highest paid 4-3DE in the league (just behind teammate Frank Clark, who the Chiefs are paying 20.8M per year).

If Jamal got 20M he'd be the highest paid safety in the league, slightly ahead of Eddie Jackson who is paid 14.6M per year.

On 7/1/2020 at 11:55 AM, varjet said:

People say that Leveon Bell was not smart for holding out, because he cannot re-earn the money he lost in 2018.  He signed with the Jets for $35mm guaranteed, or about 2x he would have made in 2018.  Leveon messed up by holding out, not getting paid a season, and then signing basically the same deal with the Jets as he could have with the Steelers.   Leveon should have taken the money from the Steelers and played in 2018.  

But if Chris Jones would rather forego playing for one year on the tag this year so he can get a guarantee of twice that next year, if that is what we think he can do, I can see that.   If I am an NFL player I am focusing on getting that big payday-the $20mm+ if you can get it and be set for life, and then after that do what you can.

The Cousins strategy worked for him, but if he got hit like Alex Smith it looked less good.  

Jamal holds few cards, really.  The right answer to me is for the Jets to guarantee him 3 years now at Eddie Jackson numbers, with a downward escalator if the salary cap goes down.   Every two years they can look at it again, with the ability to franchise him.   But if he wants a guarantee now, he is not getting top, top dollar.  His choice is to play out his contract and then sign for the highest bidder.  He can do that-players do, like Mosley did. But there is risk there.  

The problem for Jones (and the difference between Jones and Bell) is he's on his first year of the tag. If he holds out this year, the Chiefs can tag him again next year, too.

On 7/1/2020 at 12:28 PM, Embrace the Suck said:

Mr. Jones, I support your bold statement, as you don't have a degree or any verifiable vocational skills I wish you luck in your new life as a bouncer or private security. I don't think you'll be making the amount of money you think you deserve though. 

jason bateman dodgeball GIF

He's made 6.2M over the past four years. Somehow I think he'll muddle through if he needs to sit out for two years.

• Haha 1

On 7/1/2020 at 11:22 PM, Jet_Engine1 said:

Hes already made around, what, $20 Million? That would set me and my family up for a life of comfort and fun for a very long time. 

The thing most of these guys don't seem to get because of their limited brainpower, greed, desire for what they understand as "respect", and their agents, is that nobody is making them play, pretty much nobody can relate to their absurd demands, and that once you have $10M in the bank, if you aren't a full retard, you never need to work again and can care for your family for generations. 

The guys who play for a contract or 2, Make a few mill, and then suddenly "retire" at 27 years old because of "concerns for future health" are probably the smartest dudes around.

But hey, then again, who doesn't need 4 Bentleys, 1000 pairs of gold sneakers, gold chains, 5 Carat Diamond Earings for each day of the week, a pet Oscelot or two, and crippling arthritis and CTE in their 50s?

It's amazing what a stupid take this is. He's playing a position at which injury is common. On the open market he'd get a 100M contract with 60M virtually guaranteed - and he'll get that same contract (more, given inflation) if he has to sit out the next two years to do it.

Or he could play this year, and risk injury, for 16M. If you had banked 6M over the past 4 years and could afford it, would you put 60M+ at risk to get paid this year? If so, you're financially illiterate.

But yeah, tell us that he's the one with "limited brainpower"

2 hours ago, Doggin94it said:

It's amazing what a stupid take this is. He's playing a position at which injury is common. On the open market he'd get a 100M contract with 60M virtually guaranteed - and he'll get that same contract (more, given inflation) if he has to sit out the next two years to do it.

Or he could play this year, and risk injury, for 16M. If you had banked 6M over the past 4 years and could afford it, would you put 60M+ at risk to get paid this year? If so, you're financially illiterate.

But yeah, tell us that he's the one with "limited brainpower"

Yet you said essentially the same exact thing in the post before this.

He's made 6.2M over the past four years. Somehow I think he'll muddle through if he needs to sit out for two years.

My point was that we are talking about guys complaining about sums of money most us will never get close to, and would happily live on forever

And before you snivel and whine about how hard their job is, let me just say, LOL, GTFO with that

13 hours ago, Trolly McTrollface said:

This is the tried and true response from fans who typically feel under appreciated at home or work.

The old “take it or leave it” they’ve been told all their lives, because they can be replaced very easily. They want so badly to hear the same be said to some star athlete who actually has a skill people will pay big money for.

Heres the problem with your little scenario. Mr. Jones (or Mr. Adams) have that type of skill, so if their boss tries to act tough and tell them go get a job as a bouncer, they can laugh in his face, secure in the knowledge someone else will gladly give them millions and millions of dollars.

Ah, the tried and true response from the typical fanboy who probably idolizes, associates with, and lives through pro athletes who they watch on TV (your name suits you btw). Forgetting the fact that the "take it or leave it" came from Jones...

Nice try, except I've never been told take it or leave it, and I can't be replaced as easily as most people (probably such as yourself) as I have a valuable skill set (computer science programming/networking) to go along with natural talent. I'm regularly very forward with my employer and I don't get fired because they need me, and I don't act in a childish manner on twitter either so that helps too I'm sure. Obviously people are willing to pay for my skill set as I've never been unemployed and do well for myself. Oh, by the way the point was that Jones' skill set is limited to being a bouncer if refuses to play unless he gets 20 million per year. Personally I don't care what path he chooses, there is no resentment as you infer, as I was just pointing out the obvious which is:  In couple years Jones will be out of the league and statistically chances are he'll be broke a few years after that and what will working out and playing a kids game be worth at that point? Oh yeah, a job as a bouncer. Meanwhile I'll still be employed in my chosen profession, which I enjoy, and living a comfortable life. So yeah... 

"A reported 78 percent of former NFL players have gone bankrupt or under financial stress just two years after retirement. As the salaries of professional athletes across all sports grow larger, so, too, does the number of individuals seeking to prey on their successes and wealth." https://www.cnbc.com/2018/05/14/money-lessons-learned-from-pro-athletes-financial-fouls.html

Maybe, it all depends on what he has done with that money.  "A reported 78 percent of former NFL players have gone bankrupt or under financial stress just two years after retirement. As the salaries of professional athletes across all sports grow larger, so, too, does the number of individuals seeking to prey on their successes and wealth." https://www.cnbc.com/2018/05/14/money-lessons-learned-from-pro-athletes-financial-fouls.html

26 minutes ago, Embrace the Suck said:

Maybe, it all depends on what he has done with that money.  "A reported 78 percent of former NFL players have gone bankrupt or under financial stress just two years after retirement. As the salaries of professional athletes across all sports grow larger, so, too, does the number of individuals seeking to prey on their successes and wealth." https://www.cnbc.com/2018/05/14/money-lessons-learned-from-pro-athletes-financial-fouls.html

Yes, it does. Given his behavior, seems pretty clear he's confident he can make it through his holdout period without being in financial distress

57 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Yet you said essentially the same exact thing in the post before this.

No. I said that unlike Leveon, he's got two years before he can hit the open market. So he's in a different situation.

My point was that we are talking about guys complaining about sums of money most us will never get close to, and would happily live on forever

And before you snivel and whine about how hard their job is, let me just say, LOL, GTFO with that

Ah, I see, so when you said he was stupid, what you really meant was "OK, he's smart, but I think he should just take the 16M and put the 60M at risk because I'm entitled." Thanks for clarifying.

It's amazing to me how many people think they're entitled to control the choices of other people. You'd play for the 16M and risk the 60? Ok. Cool. Good to know how you would choose, except nobody really cares what you would do because you don't have the talent to make that situation a reality. He's making (or at least threatening to make) a different choice. One that he's perfectly entitled to and that makes long-term financial sense for him. You getting all bent out of shape over that is a you issue. Which is fine. You can have you issues. Nobody cares.

(And before the "hurr durr you obviously care, look, you responded" - nah. I cared about clarifying that what he's doing isn't stupid and this is a you issue. What you do from here on ... all you, buddy.)

17 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

The deal from the Steelers only guaranteed 1 year, I think it was only $10m too if memory serves correct.

That was my understanding as well, that the only full guarantee upon signing was a $10MM signing bonus (and effective guarantee being that plus his 2018 salary - which I think was somewhere between another $7-10MM - since they certainly weren't going to cut him before week 1 in 2018). That $33MM figure was a rolling guarantee, in that the following year's money became guaranteed if he wasn't cut in the first week of the next season in March. So it was a true guarantee in name only. In practice it was a 1 year contract ($10MM of which the team could spread over 2 or even 3 seasons) followed by annual team options thereafter from 2019 onward.

If they'd just changed their minds if Bell wasn't as good anymore - or if he'd suffered an injury but got medically cleared to play again even if he wasn't the same player - Pittsburgh could/would have just cut him before the 2019 season with Bell's future earning potential devastated. If that wasn't a real concern for the player ("Oh, they'd never have done that...") then Pittsburgh could have just put that into the contract as a real guarantee. That they balked at doing so is the point. The Steelers essentially wanted him on more franchise tag type contracts (guaranteeing just one year at a time) without the 20-44% compounded annual franchise tag escalators.

In practice everyone assumes Bell would have made more if he'd signed that deal (and probably would have if he repeated his 2017 season in 2018). But only if he stayed good/healthy enough for Pittsburgh to want him back in 2019. Or maybe they'd have cut him because of something having nothing to do with Bell: namely, the possibility of cutting Antonio Brown - which was already being talked about before Bell's 2019 guarantee date - may have caused them to leave that option open by not first guaranteeing Bell another season at $16MM. Fans poking fun at his decision are taking for granted the possibilities of not seeing that prior offer fully lived out even beyond that first season.

In fairness I think Tannenbaum did something similar with Ferguson and/or Mangold, like if you make it through this year without getting injured then we'll guarantee more after that. I'd have to look that up, if it's still available info, but it was something like that. 

• Post of the Week 1

4 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

That was my understanding as well, that the only full guarantee upon signing was a $10MM signing bonus (and effective guarantee being that plus his 2018 salary - which I think was somewhere between another $7-10MM - since they certainly weren't going to cut him before week 1 in 2018). That $33MM figure was a rolling guarantee, in that the following year's money became guaranteed if he wasn't cut in the first week of the next season in March. So it was a true guarantee in name only. In practice it was a 1 year contract ($10MM of which the team could spread over 2 or even 3 seasons) followed by annual team options thereafter from 2019 onward.

If they'd just changed their minds if Bell wasn't as good anymore - or if he'd suffered an injury but got medically cleared to play again even if he wasn't the same player - Pittsburgh could/would have just cut him before the 2019 season with Bell's future earning potential devastated. If that wasn't a real concern for the player ("Oh, they'd never have done that...") then Pittsburgh could have just put that into the contract as a real guarantee. That they balked at doing so is the point. The Steelers essentially wanted him on more franchise tag type contracts (guaranteeing just one year at a time) without the 20-44% compounded annual franchise tag escalators.

In practice everyone assumes Bell would have made more if he'd signed that deal (and probably would have if he repeated his 2017 season in 2018). But only if he stayed good/healthy enough for Pittsburgh to want him back in 2019. Or maybe they'd have cut him because of something having nothing to do with Bell: namely, the possibility of cutting Antonio Brown - which was already being talked about before Bell's 2019 guarantee date - may have caused them to leave that option open by not first guaranteeing Bell another season at $16MM. Fans poking fun at his decision are taking for granted the possibilities of not seeing that prior offer fully lived out even beyond that first season.

In fairness I think Tannenbaum did something similar with Ferguson and/or Mangold, like if you make it through this year without getting injured then we'll guarantee more after that. I'd have to look that up, if it's still available info, but it was something like that. 

Yea that's exactly how I remember it. Not to mention the Steelers were going to feed him damn near 400 touches so the likelihood of sustaining an injury was gonna be high. I definitely agree with Bell's decision, and I love arguing with people when they say he was dumb haha

• Upvote 1