NFL rumors:league might require fans to sign a waiver to attend games

NFL rumors: Amid coronavirus pandemic, league might require fans to sign waiver to attend games — if they’re even allowed in

Updated 4:07 PM; Today 3:20 PM 
New York Jets v Buffalo Bills

Will fans be allowed to attend NFL games this season? Getty Images

shares

It remains unclear if the 2020 NFL season will actually happen, amid the coronavirus pandemic.

CORONAVIRUS RESOURCES: Live map tracker | Newsletter| Homepage

It’s also still unclear whether fans will be allowed to attend games, presuming the games even occur, as the NFL continues to insist — or at least hope — they will.

But if fans are allowed to attend games this season, a waiver signing could be involved.

Here’s The Athletic with more on that:

The NFL is considering requiring fans attending games this season to sign liability waivers shielding the teams from COVID-19 lawsuits, sources said. The waiver proposal is likely to be forwarded to clubs by the middle of next week as part of a broad range of league recommended best practices for re-opening stadiums amid the coronavirus pandemic. 

“It is probably something you do electronically, just trying to figure out the operational challenges associated with waivers,” said one source familiar with plans under development by the stadium reopening working group headed by NFL Sr. VP of Security Cathy Lanier. “Just have to work out how best to do that.” 

The league has said almost from the beginning of the pandemic that it expects to play its season as normally as possible. Teams are preparing for a range of scenarios, from no fans to nearly full stadiums, and the NFL is leaving those choices to the clubs and local health regulators.

Some teams — including the Jets and Giants (but not yet the Eagles) — have already given season ticket holders the chance to opt out of attending all games in 2020, with no penalty.

The NFL *might* have a season in a bubble situation, however the notion that fans are going to be allowed is the equivalent of a Hail Mary unless technology changes soon.  There’s major spread in the summer months, it will be much worse in the fall and winter.  There’s no way all the states maintain unanimity, and if one goes its hard to see how it all stays together.

wish it wasn’t that way, but the smart money bets pessimistically

• Upvote 2

Waiver probably wouldn't hold up on court especially for a wrongful death suit. You really can't waive your constitutional rights and most of these things get no because people don't have the money to seriously challenge them.

Also, if there is a season a coach will probably catch it and die.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

50 minutes ago, nico002 said:

Sorry but scraping week 4 has little to do with covid, why wouldn’t you scrap the first two weeks? The new cba has a shorter pre season anyway no?

Scrapping Week 4 might make sense if they essentially do a "mini-quarantine" of players. It gives them 2 weeks to keep teams separated so if any player shows symptoms they can be held away to hopefully stop the spread in its tracks. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, JetFreak89 said:

When people's decisions can have dramatic consequences on others, it is no longer just a "decision for themselves". 

It's almost like these mouth breathers live in a society with other people while they pretend to live by themselves in the ******* woods and that making unilateral decisions doesn't impact the rest of people they interact with in society. If these morons get infected and kill their barber's grandparents they probably wouldn't even bat an eye because that's the price you pay?

• Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 3

1 minute ago, Jolot said:

Ummm guys .....there’s not going to be a season . I’ll still come here and shoot the sh## with most of you til the day I die . But why are we pretending there’s going to be a 2020 season ? The writing is clearly on the wall. 

Rugged individualism or some other weirdness. I'm with you brother. Sincerely doubt this season happens.

• Thumb Down 1

2 hours ago, New York Mick said:

Social distancing and mask. If they don’t work them what’s the point of making people do it? Who makes the decision that’s right? I can sit at the counter in a diner but  I can’t sit at a bar and have a beer. I can sit at the table in the same bar though and have a beer. The same distance I would be from someone if I was sitting at the bar.  I can’t go to a sporting event but I can go to a super mall with 10,000 people. We can’t go to the beach on the 4th but we can go to the restaurants across the street from the beach and walk in the road to allow more space for distancing. If the kept the beach open that would allow for 50 more yards of space for people. Nothing makes any sense with what the governments are doing. They’re more worried about votes then safety. 

If you’re at high risk, have someone at high risk or don’t feel safe you don’t have to do any of those things.

Also a majority of new case a while back were from people that were quarantined so how do you stop that? Do you no longer get deliveries to you house? How do you get food? Etc. 

And yes I breath through my mouth my nose has been broke so many times it’s pointless to breath though it.

What's the point of a seat belt and an air bag? It helps in some cases and might save your life but if you're going over 55 you're probably getting messed up.

If you're low risk that's fine. Is the cashier that you buy groceries from also low risk? Are your parents? Your co-workers. Your ability to make these decisions end when it impacts the well being of others.

If you're high risk and you're an "essential worker" you have no choice but to show up or be homeless.

The mall stuff is just stupid. I agree they should be closed.

• Thumb Down 1

9 hours ago, Arsis said:

What's the point of a seat belt and an air bag? It helps in some cases and might save your life but if you're going over 55 you're probably getting messed up.

That’s what people say when someone say they won’t wear a mask.

If you're low risk that's fine. Is the cashier that you buy groceries from also low risk? Are your parents? Your co-workers. Your ability to make these decisions end when it impacts the well being of others.

Then everything should be shutdown or controlled not just selective thing.

If you're high risk and you're an "essential worker" you have no choice but to show up or be homeless.

People at high risk shouldn’t be working those jobs during a pandemic and should receive unemployment. Anyone could have not just people who went to a sporting event or had a beer sitting at bar or walked on the beach. And why is it ok for major chain restaurants to stay open 24/7 but other places have to close at midnight?

The mall stuff is just stupid. I agree they should be closed.

So should Walmart, Target, Home Depot, Lowe’s and every other large store. Again the government is picking and choosing what companies can be opened. Why can 10s of thousands of people go to a complete strangers funeral but friends and family can’t go to theirs? Why can 10s of thousands of people go to a political rally but we can’t watch fireworks or lay on the beach. 

Obviously things need to be opened because we have to live our lives and they need to be safe about it but they’re just randomly selecting what they think is an important business and what isn’t. Everyone needs to make money. 

BREAKING NY just issued guidance no fans in phase 4. So the Bills will officially have no fans which I’m under the guidance from Goodell on Advantage’s no team can. This is turning into a cluster quick. This is why I said the whole everything is fine approach wouldn’t work and now it’s July with no realistic plan 

https://www.wkbw.com/news/coronavirus/new-york-state-says-no-fans-allowed-for-professional-sports

15 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

BREAKING: Only 2 preseason games......coming pretty quick off the whole "full normal season" line

I hope not, but I'm afraid so.  Things are inevitably going to get pushed back or canceled or both.  It is tough to come to grips with. 

p.s.   And the thread of course has become overly political.  

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

If the players want to kill the golden goose then so be it. We’ve been without sports for 4 months now. Does anyone truly miss it? Things are going to be massively different. 

Major sports leagues are in for a shock . People have gone 4 months, and probably longer, without them. A lot of those fans are not coming back. 

• Post of the Week 4

1 hour ago, New York Mick said:

Obviously things need to be opened because we have to live our lives and they need to be safe about it but they’re just randomly selecting what they think is an important business and what isn’t. Everyone needs to make money. 

"randomly"

that's funny.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Cuomo is so desperate to cover up his killing of old people in nursing homes he will try to lock down everything . It's disgrace. That isn't politics, it's a fact. There may be good health reasons come September to do that, how he can make that decision 2 months out defies explanation. 

Crime in NYC skyrocketing too. Might want to get on that.

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Major sports leagues are in for a shock . People have gone 4 months, and probably longer, without them. A lot of those fans are not coming back. 

They know this, thus the continual optimistic forecasts of full seasons with at least partial attendance.  

Many fans never came back to MLB after work stoppages no matter if they were management induced lock outs or player strikes.  Other fans like me came back, but lost their passion or intensity in their fandom.  

• Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, Dcat said:

"randomly"

that's funny.

What would you call it? It doesn’t make any sense what they allow and what they don’t. I can go to a restaurant that has a full liquor bar order a $5 app and sit there all day pounding shots but I can’t go to the bar that’s attached to the same exact building sharing the same overhang and have a drink. That seems random to me. 

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, Bugg said:

"Cases" are up, but still nowhere near the numbers of March and April. Morality and hospitalizations are  way down. Does not mean there are tons of people on death's door on ventilators, only that more people are getting tested. Most of them have minor or no symptoms. The elderly and those with underlying conditions need to take precautions. 

At this point we are shutting down the economy for a what is now elongated flu season. 

You can go to Shoprite or Costco or Trader Joes and crowd into the aisles,  or riot, but having dinner or a drink or your kid's CYO game will get you sick. Right. What bullhs!t. 

And come October when the weather gets bad and bars and restaurants are fully reopened the second wave will hit good - although thanks to Florida and Texas we aren’t done with the first wave

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Jolot said:

Ummm guys .....there’s not going to be a season . I’ll still come here and shoot the sh## with most of you til the day I die . But why are we pretending there’s going to be a 2020 season ? The writing is clearly on the wall. 

I disagree. There is too much money at stake for all sides involved for them NOT to have a season. Even if it is in front of empty stands. 

There are other sports leagues (including contact sports leagues like soccer) up and running around the world. With massive testing (Which the PGA has and the NFL will definitely have) they can quickly isolate those players that test positive and continue on with the season. 

It's just that some of you need to realize that it will be a different season going in. Already no HOF game, only 2 preseason games, allowing some players/coaches to opt out) Perhaps other modifications. 

The NFL is actually lucky because they will learn from the mistakes of European soccer, the PGA, MLB, NBA, NHL before they start their season. 

We just have to hope that we don't have critical players "opting-out" this year due to covid.