NFL rumors:league might require fans to sign a waiver to attend games

59 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

They're doing it wrong. They need to follow the Clemson model and "intentionally" get all their kids covid positive now so they can breeze through the season with no issues. 

That is a crazy story. Was a time -1960s, 1970s-when parents wanted everyone to get chickenpox at the same time to get it out of the way, basically herd immunity by design. It was not pleasant but not a big deal for kids. Especially so if you planned on having more kids because pregnant women were vulnerable, so your kids getting it and getting it out of the way  before pregnancy was sensible.

At a loss how or why that works with any respiratory illness, especially for athletes. There are athletes who have diabetes or asthma or other conditions, and this would be catastrophic for them. NY  Ranger Kappo Kakko, for example, is diabetic; if he were exposed, that would be very bad. Of course, Boomer Esiason is expounding on it. 

7 hours ago, T0mShane said:

<November, as I’m snake-crawling in my gas mask through a burning CVS to recover a bottle of peroxide and steal some antibiotics to treat an infected leg wound I got in the famed Raid on FOB Norwalk, where our makeshift militia group overwhelmed a National Guard unit and acquired a generator for our tent village under the I-95 overpass near Stamford>:

Me: Oh I can attend the Jets-Bills this weekend if I sign a waiver?

<Fires an arrow at a gaunt dog eating some beef jerky in the ravaged Jerky Aisle in CVS, striking it in the neck, excited at the prospect of adding the fur and protein to our diminishing stockpiles, only to be sad when a Bengal Tiger, escaped from Beardsley Zoo, sprints out of the stockroom to claim my kill>

Me: Pretty crazy that President of The Sovereign Northern Americas Commonwealth (SNAC) Woody Johnson was able to get football back so soon. Things are really getting back to norm...

<Flaming zombie falls through the ceiling tiles and bites hard into my neck>

50/50 chance on this occurring.

Gotta love 2020

8 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

I disagree. There is too much money at stake for all sides involved for them NOT to have a season. Even if it is in front of empty stands. 

There are other sports leagues (including contact sports leagues like soccer) up and running around the world. With massive testing (Which the PGA has and the NFL will definitely have) they can quickly isolate those players that test positive and continue on with the season. 

It's just that some of you need to realize that it will be a different season going in. Already no HOF game, only 2 preseason games, allowing some players/coaches to opt out) Perhaps other modifications. 

The NFL is actually lucky because they will learn from the mistakes of European soccer, the PGA, MLB, NBA, NHL before they start their season. 

We just have to hope that we don't have critical players "opting-out" this year due to covid. 

This idea that “to much money” is on the table comes from the wrong stance they have anything to say about it. You know who does? Governors, and well the virus. The nba nhl and mlb all lost tons of money and so will the nfl. Why? Because there is no safe way to conduct a contact sport like football 

18 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

This idea that “to much money” is on the table comes from the wrong stance they have anything to say about it. You know who does? Governors, and well the virus. The nba nhl and mlb all lost tons of money and so will the nfl. Why? Because there is no safe way to conduct a contact sport like football 

Cuomo should just become King imho

2 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

Soccer is a contact sport and they are up and running in various places. 

Massive testing and players accepting the risk is all you need for sports to happen. It will also come with a larger number if players missing weeks due to covid.

Governors aren't going to get in the way, at least not in a significant way meaning even if a couple of governors shut sports down, which they won't, you will just see teams hosting their home games in different states..

Again, too much money at stake.

16 hours ago, Bugg said:

"Cases" are up, but still nowhere near the numbers of March and April. Morality and hospitalizations are  way down. Does not mean there are tons of people on death's door on ventilators, only that more people are getting tested. Most of them have minor or no symptoms. The elderly and those with underlying conditions need to take precautions. 

At this point we are shutting down the economy for a what is now elongated flu season. 

You can go to Shoprite or Costco or Trader Joes and crowd into the aisles,  or riot, but having dinner or a drink or your kid's CYO game will get you sick. Right. What bullhs!t. 

The typical, tunnel vision view point.  Come to Florida.  The walls are closing in all around us. 

Take a virtual trip to South America.  Have you noticed what is happening in Brazil?  Chile?

Read some reports out of India.

This is not a New York problem.  This is not a Florida problem.  This is not an American problem.

THIS IS A WORLDWIDE PANDEMIC THAT AFFECTS EVERYBODY ON THE PLANET.

Every step to battle it saves lives, somewhere.

5 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

The typical, tunnel vision view point.  Come to Florida.  The walls are closing in all around us. 

Take a virtual trip to South America.  Have you noticed what is happening in Brazil?  Chile?

This is not a New York problem.  This is not a Florida problem.  This is not an American problem.

+ California 

right back where we started...

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

BREAKING NY just issued guidance no fans in phase 4. So the Bills will officially have no fans which I’m under the guidance from Goodell on Advantage’s no team can. This is turning into a cluster quick. This is why I said the whole everything is fine approach wouldn’t work and now it’s July with no realistic plan 

https://www.wkbw.com/news/coronavirus/new-york-state-says-no-fans-allowed-for-professional-sports

Lets go New Jersey Jets lol.

• Haha 3

16 hours ago, Bugg said:

"Cases" are up, but still nowhere near the numbers of March and April. Morality and hospitalizations are  way down. Does not mean there are tons of people on death's door on ventilators, only that more people are getting tested. Most of them have minor or no symptoms. The elderly and those with underlying conditions need to take precautions. 

At this point we are shutting down the economy for a what is now elongated flu season. 

You can go to Shoprite or Costco or Trader Joes and crowd into the aisles,  or riot, but having dinner or a drink or your kid's CYO game will get you sick. Right. What bullhs!t. 

Have you looked around the country at the states that are closing in on hospital bed capacity?

Also this is not a Covid forum. We do have a club for that. There are political posts in here and that is going to get this locked \ moved.

The point of this thread is the waiver. If I decided to go, if there were fans, I would sign a waiver for sure.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Have you looked around the country at the states that are closing in on hospital bed capacity?

Also this is not a Covid forum. We do have a club for that. There are political posts in here and that is going to get this locked \ moved.

The point of this thread is the waiver. If I decided to go, if there were fans, I would sign a waiver for sure.

politics or no politics, this guy must not own a television/iphone/ipad/computer/newspaper/magazine/smoke signals/morse code...you literally have to be living under a rock to not be informed as to what's occurred over the past 2-3 weeks.

No one can live in a bubble, you could be quarantined for 14 days, get a delivery from Amazon & bam, Covid. The death rate for 60 & under is so minuscule, this same age group has a better chance of being in a terrible car accident than dying from Covid. 
STAY AWAY FROM OLDER PEOPLE & Those with underlying conditions. 
The season will kick off as soon as soon as the election is over. It’s just too freaking obvious! 
Just a few years from now the truth will be told, you can flatten a curve, you can’t stem a Pendemic as it will run its course no matter how you proceed. It’s always been about not overwhelming healthcare system & now that the elderly & people with underlying conditions have been more cautious total deaths are way down compared to positive result #s skyrocketing because more & more people are finally getting tested. Outspoken immunologists are being silenced by the Media. Do your homework. 

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, southtown24th said:

+ California 

right back where we started...

No.IN the US, the mortality numbers are way down from March and April. If you want to lose control of your bowels because every positive test (most of which are not sick or even experiencing symptoms) is reported breathlessly by the media as "a case", that is your choice. Elderly people, people with compromised immune symptoms and those with pre-existing conditions need to take precautions. The rest of it is  cheap grace theater and preening moralism Again, why is the virus so smart that it doesn't transmit at riots and supermarkets, but restaurants and bars and other retail businesses are deadly? Unless that's all bullsheet. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Bugg said:

No.IN the US, the mortality numbers are way down from March and April. If you want to lose control of your bowels because every positive test (most of which are not sick or even experiencing symptoms) is reported breathlessly by the media as "a case", that is your choice. Elderly people, people with compromised immune symptoms and those with pre-existing conditions need to take precautions. The rest of it is  cheap grace theater and preening moralism Again, why is the virus so smart that it doesn't transmit at riots and supermarkets, but restaurants and bars and other retail businesses are deadly? Unless that's all bullsheet. 

your problems will come to an end here in 4 short months...hope you enjoyed the ride. the party is OVER.

On 7/2/2020 at 11:17 PM, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Soccer is a contact sport and they are up and running in various places. 

Massive testing and players accepting the risk is all you need for sports to happen. It will also come with a larger number if players missing weeks due to covid.

Governors aren't going to get in the way, at least not in a significant way meaning even if a couple of governors shut sports down, which they won't, you will just see teams hosting their home games in different states..

Again, too much money at stake.

Are you really comparing soccer to football? Not even remotely similar. Where in soccer do every play 4-5 guys line up face to face again? 

On 7/1/2020 at 7:24 PM, Jolot said:

Ummm guys .....there’s not going to be a season . I’ll still come here and shoot the sh## with most of you til the day I die . But why are we pretending there’s going to be a 2020 season ? The writing is clearly on the wall. 

Remember when COVID was gonna go away in the summer?

Look at all the baseball players who have tested postive....I'm starting to think more and more, 2020 football just ain't happening.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/29410167/miguel-sano-dj-lemahieu-salvador-perez-mlb-players-test-positive-coronavirus

And here's the interesting bit at the end of this article:

Braves manager Brian Snitker said Freeman had a fever but added it's too early to know if the four-time All-Star's status for the start of the season could be jeopardized. Snitker said concerns will remain even after the four Braves players return to workouts.

"Guys have gotten it more than once," Snitker said. "We're going to have to be careful all year, and it's going to be the new normal for the next three months."

Remember when you got COVID and you couldn't get it again?

3 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

Are you really comparing soccer to football? Not even remotely similar. Where in soccer do every play 4-5 guys line up face to face again? 

He is not comparing the games. Point is soccer and football players are constantly in physical contact with each other. Rugby has also resumed in some places, and that is very comparable to football in terms of contact. 

Can tell you also as of now NCAA D2 football appears to be on track to start either sometime in later September or, worst case,  in the spring.  Article in todays NY Post indicates SEC is looking at spring if the fall doesn't work. Mot colleges in the US are moving up their fall semesters to start no late than mid August to have everyone off campus by Thanksgiving. Idea being if there is a 2nd wave, that could be expected to start late November/early December. 

On 7/3/2020 at 12:17 AM, RoadFan said:

Read some reports out of India.

Yeah but we have 32% of the world’s cases with 4% of the population 

Something got screwed up

28 minutes ago, Bugg said:

He is not comparing the games. Point is soccer and football players are constantly in physical contact with each other. Rugby has also resumed in some places, and that is very comparable to football in terms of contact. 

Can tell you also as of now NCAA D2 football appears to be on track to start either sometime in later September or, worst case,  in the spring.  Article in todays NY Post indicates SEC is looking at spring if the fall doesn't work. Mot colleges in the US are moving up their fall semesters to start no late than mid August to have everyone off campus by Thanksgiving. Idea being if there is a 2nd wave, that could be expected to start late November/early December. 

I have no idea why college is even attempting to have a season.  The players won’t be compensated with classes and dorms which is supposed to be how it works.  They won’t be able to have fans in the stadiums.  It’s just gonna be a horrific debacle and the financial objective isn’t there like with the NFL

I find it hard to believe that they will allow fans to fill stadiums.  Option 1 is to limit the number of fans at the game and to have them sit with empties between them.  Sure like some won't sit next to their buddies, or claim their family whatever.  And who gets to go to games and who have to send their season tickets back to their teams.  I dont want to give mine up while the guys next to me get to go.  

Option 3, rid yourself of the inevitable lawsuit from the fan who decides to risk all and go to a game and then tests positive for COVID-19 and just eliminate fans, they make all their money from TV anyway

• Upvote 1

Just now, Jet Nut said:

I find it hard to believe that they will allow fans to fill stadiums.  Option 1 is to limit the number of fans at the game and to have them sit with empties between them.  Sure like some won't sit next to their buddies, or claim their family whatever.  And who gets to go to games and who have to send their season tickets back to their teams.  I dont want to give mine up while the guys next to me get to go.  

Option 3, rid yourself of the inevitable lawsuit from the fan who decides to risk all and go to a game and then tests positive for COVID-19 and just eliminate fans, they make all their money from TV anyway

The owners are delusional 

Goodell is an empty suit yes man to the in crowd of owners (Kraft,Steve Bisciotti, the Rooneys and Maras)

I would be shocked if the nfl season didn’t get cancelled by week 10

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

The owners are delusional 

Goodell is an empty suit yes man to the in crowd of owners (Kraft,Steve Bisciotti, the Rooneys and Maras)

I would be shocked if the nfl season didn’t get cancelled by week 10

I dont think it will happen because of fans in the stands.  I dont even think it will happen if some players come down with COVID.

I think its the coaches.  What happens if a Belichick, a Andy Reid, a Pete Carol come down with it?  Then what, its a huge disadvantage to lose your HC, never mind a top one

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

I have no idea why college is even attempting to have a season.  The players won’t be compensated with classes and dorms which is supposed to be how it works.  They won’t be able to have fans in the stadiums.  It’s just gonna be a horrific debacle and the financial objective isn’t there like with the NFL

It really is, though. A lot of these schools are dependent on football money. 

The spring season idea is probably a good one. That would probably push the draft into the summer. 

Preface all this with again being very skeptical. But not foolish enough to throw caution to the wind either.

Suspect there's a fine scientific line between the outdoors and Vitamin D being good for people's health and crowds being conducive to virus transmission. Clearly anyone who is elderly or immuno compromised has no business being in a crowd. Fresh air and sunshine are good things.This was one of the lessons of the 1918 pandemic. In the "concert" thread one of the scariest memories I can recall in leaving Giants Stadium from a GNR/Metallica show on a 100 degree/100 humidity/no breeze night. Would think for most high school and smaller colleges, this is probably doable.It's spread out, it's small scale.  For Division 1 big time schools, many not be possible. UND gets 75000+ into a bleacher bench stadium designed a hundred years ago; simply won't work under these conditions.  Think thousands of people, many drunk or high, cheek to jowl, in a  confined area.And that is the problem for NFL teams and a lot of sporting events. Their habits when it comes to crowds is create bottlenecks, be it at entry for security reasons, at bathrooms, at concessions. One thing that surprised me is how the newer arenas and stadiums like Yankee and new Shea  try to avoid that, to spread things out. But MetLife is one glaring exception. 

3 hours ago, IndianaJet said:

Remember when COVID was gonna go away in the summer?

Look at all the baseball players who have tested postive....I'm starting to think more and more, 2020 football just ain't happening.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/29410167/miguel-sano-dj-lemahieu-salvador-perez-mlb-players-test-positive-coronavirus

And here's the interesting bit at the end of this article:

Remember when you got COVID and you couldn't get it again?

The problem isn't that players are testing positive it's that some people, apparently like yourself, believed players wouldn't test positive. 

As the article you posted noted at the end. "it's going to be a new normal for the next three months."

Did anyone actually believe that any sports league would have zero positive results before and during the season? The PGA, which is a zero contact sport has already had a few positives. Some of us go to work in environments where we COULD get exposed. Where we COULD test positive. It's the way of the world until there is a vaccine. 

2 hours ago, Philc1 said:

There is no college sports being prepared to be played? Where are you getting this 

On 7/2/2020 at 8:15 AM, Bugg said:

My niece her husband and their 4 kids all have had Covid the kids late teens early 20's felt nothing the only thing my niece had was a slight fever and couldn't taste anything for 4 days and her husband did have pneumonia for a few days and also lost his sense of taste they are all fine now. The kids say most of their friends have had it with little problems. The media loves to dramatize everything when we have a hurricane down here in FL they make it sound like its the end of the world.. 

• Sympathy 1

12 minutes ago, Savage69 said:

My niece her husband and their 4 kids all have had Covid the kids late teens early 20's felt nothing the only thing my niece had was a slight fever and couldn't taste anything for 4 days and her husband did have pneumonia for a few days and also lost his sense of taste they are all fine now. The kids say most of their friends have had it with little problems. The media loves to dramatize everything when we have a hurricane down here in FL they make it sound like its the end of the world.. 

Sipping Kermit The Frog GIF

• Haha 2