Dunnie

Interesting Take on Darnold

6 minutes ago, GreekJet said:

The truth is none of it matters. Darnold is going to.    next year likely another year after that. 

Nice. 

The new guy is going to be letting us fill in the blank and finish his sentences.

I like him already!!!

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

the MNF was awesome....   he immediately joined the Mt Rushmore of Jet QB fails

🍿🍿🍿🍿

I hope 4 buckets of popcorn will be enough for that post, los.

6 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

There wasn’t a knee.  Actually it was more of toe but reality probably was they wanted to sit him to let him watch without actually benching him.  He re injured it, limped off, went into the locker room against the Bills and played.  

I’m thinking he’s referring to that walking boot thing during the 18 season, nut.

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, SackExchangeNYJ said:

Half the reason this team can't develop a franchise QB is that the media and a portion of the fan base are ready to kick to the curb a kid who just turned 23 and has been in the league two years, in two separate systems, with limited talent around him.

As long as the national (and much of the local) media bash anything in green, and the fans call for guys' heads in the first preseason series, it makes it nearly impossible for a QB to actually develop with the Jets.

Forget how anyone here feels about Darnold for just a second...

That has to be the craziest explanation for the Jets history of poor QB play I’v ever read, and I’ve been reading about this team for over 50 years.

That last paragraph is beyond words. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, GreekJet said:

The explanation is pretty simple-The league has been trending towards offense and the Jets have been prioritizing defense. 

Since 1995 here is the list of first round picks Jets have used on offense 

Kyle Brady

Keyshawn Johnson

Chad Pennington

Anthony Becht

Santana Moss

DBrickashaw Ferguson

Nick Mangold

Dustin Keller

Mark Sanchez

Sam Darnold

Mehki Becton

Ok, I’ll bite. 

Show me how listing our first round picks “explains very simply” his theory that “the national and local media, along with the fan calling for players heads midway through the first quarter”are to blame for the Jets not developing QBs?

10 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

**** history. Here's some current events for you...

In 2018 the clueless hack who was pretending to be GM traded a boatload of picks to move up to #3 overall to draft a QB for the pathetic Offense his team had been fielding for 2 years. His next pick? A 25 year old DT from a Community College program.  

The following year, genius decides to.....draft an undersized DT with his first pick. 

LOL. 

You aren't stupid, and I know a lot of it is schtick at this point, but putting a QB behind a disaster if an O line, with garbage skill players surrounding him, and then blaming the QB for not "elevating" the mob of UPS drivers and Club bouncers masquerading as NFL players, with a sprinkling of journeymen and veteran castoffs thrown in is absurd. 

Kelvin "weakest OT in Football" Beachum, Old Man Khalil, Broken Winters, and the epic tandem of Art Shells Grand-nephew and Chuma Edoga (lol) rounding it out? Please. I think a 40 year old Dan Marino would find a way to contract Mono too if that's what he had for protection. 

You forgot the Osemele debacle also... look, I get it. We all know about the OL. It was bad. I realize that, and I give Bell and Darnold a bit of a pass for having to line up behind it. Bell even more so, in fact.

Here’s the thing though.

Take a look at the OLs most QBs drafted high in the 1st round have in front of them.... we talk often here about Murray, Mayfield, and Jones. Their OL were very bad also. Bad teams pick high in the 1st...

Josh Allen, when drafted had the same bad OL issue. To the Bills credit they addressed it after his rookie year... which brings me to the fact maybe the Jets could have addressed it had they just stayed where they were in the 18 draft, and taken a QB, instead of giving the Colts the #6 pick and 3 second rounders.

Do you think another QB and  those 3 2nds might have helped improve this team more than Sam has in two years? I do. Do you look back and say the trade has worked out for us? I don’t.

i know it’s not Sam’s fault we moved up, Macc didn’t think he’d be there. He was probably moving up to get Baker, but the price we paid for him is something Sam has to own, and overcome.

After two years we’re looking at basically the same situation we were going into the ‘18 season. A young QB, who we hope will be good, yet we really have no idea if he will be. That’s frustrating.

Bottom line? Bad OL, bad GM, lack of weapons, whatever. if you’re being honest, I think you’d say you expected to see more from Darnold than he’s shown.

49 minutes ago, GreekJet said:

Look at that list-it tells a story. The Jets draft QBs and then pour their resources into the defense. Good offenses typically invest first round picks into that side of the ball. 

I was referring to the “the local and national media and fans midway through the first quarter...” narrative.

Still not sure what the list has to do with that, but apparently, that’s on me. 😉

43 minutes ago, TheMo said:

I'm with you my friend. I tend to take a more positive spin than you. But still he has to cut out the completely idiotic stuff where he is waiting too long and either throws an interception trying to force something or a takes a sack. It was almost predictable and you wanted to shake him. He's a talented guy with what appears to be a solid work ethic. But with hopefully a better line and a passable set of weapons he needs to be in the close to top 10 statistically for me to continue being optimistic.

Exactly.

Despite the way people want to spin it, guys like me, @Dunnie @Losmeister, @bitontiand @Villain The Foe are Jets fans who would like nothing better than to see Darnold become a top 10 QB.

None of us derive any pleasure from, or enjoy seeing him play like a bottom 5 QB.  We understand that he doesn’t have a lot of help around him, however we also think that Darnold has not performed very well either.

If that annoys people, that’s fine, they’re being a “good fan” and supporting their guy, I suppose.

We have two years in the books now, and there are a lot more people voicing “concerns” about Sam, both here and in the media. But there isn’t one of us “Doubters” who want to end up being on the right side of this argument.

We’d be very happy to take an L here, and be reminded of it for years.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Really?
All I reread from them is that Darnold hasn't shown anything and never will be anything.  Bit is willing to bet that he won't be anything and Losmeister trashes him at every turn.  So I'm not getting this at all.  

Maybe I’m wrong here, but I think it’s more a case of them expressing frustration with fans who refuse to acknowledge even the slightest of flaws with Sam’s performance thus far.

Serious question... I don’t think anyone has ever called him a bust yet, have they?

2 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

Slightest of flaws? Really you make it sound like it's one extreme or the other. Of course Darnold has floors, but he also happens to be  very talented. Look at the Jets with him and without him, quite a difference.  He also hasn't had much of an offensive line for his first two seasons. 

Be honest, any criticism of this player is met with anger and or disbelief here.

As for the OL? Yeah, that’s been mentioned here once or twice. I think we’re all aware of that, just like we are Sam’s age.

On 7/4/2020 at 10:57 AM, Dcat said:

where have you given Darnold any kind of "pass"?  please post the link.  Not buying in. 

And please just stop with the copmparisons of yourself to @Losmeister or @bitonti who have both through the years have been obvious Jets fans with deep concerns and love for the team.  Somehow you don't match up in that regard.  And I don't see their screen names tarred and feathered like yours.  So it's not any surprise to anyone either.

I gotta get outa here for the day.  Letting a troll get a tad under my skin.  You win McFly... McTroll

I won?

LMAO I never even tried, actually.

All I did was let you carry on for an hour or so yesterday, both here and in the Becton thread.

I just sat back, and let you do you.

18 minutes ago, Bowles Movement said:

1. Joe Douglas will decide when and how much Sam gets paid

2.  They have two more years to evaluate him prior to doing anything.   By that time, it should be apparent what his trajectory and upside are.  They can opt to offer him the 5 th year option if they aren’t sure.   

3.  If they do re-sign him it will be for a lot more than 100 million

1. Yes, of course.

2. I think he might even get tagged the year after that. Because of the ramifications of #3, the Jets absolutely, positively need to be sure about this before they commit.

3. Definitely. Probably somewhere between 250 and 300.

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company