Dunnie

Interesting Take on Darnold

I appreciate the fact that we’ve got more ways to evaluate the QB position than standard QB rating (which I think we can all agree is flawed). That said some of this is a little absurd. There are so many of these advanced metrics out there that you can literally pick and choose different ones to fit your narrative. 

Here is how this article should read in one sentence:

Sam Darnold has done OK for a 21-22 year old in a tough situation (Mono, bad roster, gase), but he needs to make significant progress over the next few seasons to justify his draft position.

When you tell me that he’s been on par with Mark Sanchez and Geno Smith his first two years based on some metrics that’s when you lose me. As bad as Darnolds ghost game was last year I don’t think it even comes close to Geno’s 3 INT in 1 quarter masterpiece against the Bills.  

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, IndianaJet said:

Steven Ruiz (the author of the article) can go eat a bag of dicks.

Here's another hot take from him:

https://www.kansascity.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/for-petes-sake/article224076765.html

It doesn't bode well for a wanna be NFL writer when you start to type in his name in Google and it autfills: Steven Ruiz Patrick Mahomnes

Its one guys opinion. If you want to read about how great Sam Darnold is you can find content all over the internet. 

The truth is none of it matters. Darnold is going to next year likely another year after that. 

5 hours ago, Losmeister said:

i hope he does well.

i think we was way overhyped. we'll see. 

absolutl;ey nothing he does that other qbs cant do,

I’m not even sure what that means. He was a consensus top 3-5 pick in the draft and a lot of folks thought he was worth taking #1 overall. He certainly has plenty of tools to work with. 

I think it’s time to start pointing the finger at the organization and the way they are developing these guys. Darnold is the fifth QB the Jets have invested a first of second round pick in since 2006 and the story had been largely the same with each one (some worse than others).

Let’s trade up a ton of assets to take this 20 year old QB and hope he’s good enough day 1 to overcome all the mistakes we’ve made building the offense the last decade. We are going to task Todd Bowles (defensive coach) and Jeremy Bates (currently unemployed) to get him to that point after five weeks of practice. What can go wrong? 

• Post of the Week 1

11 minutes ago, SackExchangeNYJ said:

Half the reason this team can't develop a franchise QB is that the media and a portion of the fan base are ready to kick to the curb a kid who just turned 23 and has been in the league two years, in two separate systems, with limited talent around him.

As long as the national (and much of the local) media bash anything in green, and the fans call for guys' heads in the first preseason series, it makes it nearly impossible for a QB to actually develop with the Jets.

The Jets aren’t kicking him to the curb. It really doesn’t matter if there are fans/media members that don’t believe in him. Sam is going to have the opportunity to prove his critics wrong. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Trolly McTrollface said:

Forget how anyone here feels about Darnold for just a second...

That has to be the craziest explanation for the Jets history of poor QB play I’v ever read, and I’ve been reading about this team for over 50 years.

That last paragraph is beyond words. 

The explanation is pretty simple-The league has been trending towards offense and the Jets have been prioritizing defense. 

Since 1995 here is the list of first round picks Jets have used on offense 

Kyle Brady

Keyshawn Johnson

Chad Pennington

Anthony Becht

Santana Moss

DBrickashaw Ferguson

Nick Mangold

Dustin Keller

Mark Sanchez

Sam Darnold

Mehki Becton

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, Trolly McTrollface said:

Ok, I’ll bite. 

Show me how listing our first round picks “explains very simply” his theory that “the national and local media, along with the fan calling for players heads midway through the first quarter”are to blame for the Jets not developing QBs?

Look at that list-it tells a story. The Jets draft QBs and then pour their resources into the defense. Good offenses typically invest first round picks into that side of the ball. 

• Upvote 2

52 minutes ago, Grandy said:

So far Darnold hasn't played like I expected when we initially drafted him, but I also did not think our team would be that awful and we'd at least try to give him something better than Adam Gase who is just about the most mediocre coach in the league, and that trash heap of an o-line.  Just look at how our team has fared without him.

.Sam Darnold 

We also desperately need a QB coach. FFS for a guy who's biggest issues are mechanical (specifically footwork) we've done little to support him in that regard. The only thing we've given him is Dowell Loggains and we don't even know what exactly he does. For all we know the team has just put that responsibility on Jordan Palmer who also has a dozen other QB's to work with at any given time. The guy has been playing QB for 6 years and has NEVER had a personal QB coach.  Is it really that hard? Especially for a guy who needs it. 

Anytime the guy has been given adequate time he's delivered and I'm banking on him improving as long as we do as he still showed growth when facing pressure as well. Saw a Nania article with some very intriguing factoids that point directly to this. and show signs of promise looking forward. 

https://jetsxfactor.com/2020/05/27/100-reasons-to-believe-in-new-york-jets-qb-sam-darnold/

"The league average pressure rate (percentage of dropbacks in which the quarterback is pressured) tends to hover around 34%. In eight career games in which he was pressured 34% of the time or less, Darnold completed 156-of-229 passes for 2,039 yards (8.9 per attempt, 254.9 per game), 16 touchdowns (7.0% rate), and six interceptions (2.6% rate), generating a 108.3 passer rating. The Jets went 7-1 in those games while the offense scored 29.0 points per game."

"From a clean pocket, Darnold had an adjusted completion percentage (filtering out drops, throwaways, etc.) of 81.7% in 2019, sixth-best out of 32 qualifiers."

"From Weeks 10-17 of 2019, Darnold took pressure on a higher percentage of dropbacks than any other qualified quarterback (41.9%), yet still ranked 10th in passer rating (93.3) & 11th in yards per attempt (7.3) over that span."

The Luke Falk/Gase offense might have been the most inept thing to watch since Ryan Lindley in Arizona. 

• Upvote 3

On 7/3/2020 at 1:44 AM, BurnleyJet said:

I’m going to enjoy this season, especially all the back tracking when Darnold turns it’s on in 2020.

He’s in the second year in the system and spent all offseason working on his footwork/mechanics. He’s got 25MM on the line this year so I think whatever we see from Sam is going to be his best. 

• Upvote 1

@Losmeister@bitonti

@Trolly McTrollface

I think everyone here realizes Darnold needs to improve, but the disconnect I have with you is that he seemingly is trending to be this huge bust based off the results of his first two seasons. 

What were your expectations for this 21 year old kid (just turned 21) his first two seasons on a bad team and unstable coaching staff? 

Year 1: I think he showed enough to get excited about for the future 

Year 2: Probably was hoping for some more growth, but given the mono, Gase, and everything around him falling apart around him it makes sense. 

Year 3: It’s still a pretty bad situation for him against a brutal schedule. If he can be a middle of the pack type passer I think that would be fair.

Folks knocking Darnold remind me of Rangers fans already giving up on Kappo Kakko. Temper your expectations on these incredibly young players and give them time to write their own narrative. 

Is if possible Darnold isn’t the answer? Of course-its still possible Lamar Jackson is RG3 redux. Nobody knows how things are going to turn out and what other QBs did in the past has no impact on Sam Darnolds future. 

I personally think given his age, work ethic, the fact that he’s held his head above water, and that the Jets are improving the infrastructure around him Is reason enough to have the optimism that he’s going to be a much better QB in 2021 than he was in 2019.  

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Losmeister said:

for me, unless he is GREAT, I am disappointed. 

So far? Jury still out, I'm not that impressed, especially how awful he is at throwing deep.

And as for that last part...   footwork, baby. Go look at some Kurt Warner film and see how to throw deep properly

I agree with you. Unless he is a great (subjective, but I consider that to be a franchise/pro bowl level QB) I’ll be disappointed as well. It was however unrealistic to expect him to be great from jump given the hand he was dealt and his age/experience. 

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company