AFJF

Sam Darnold interceptions

Posted (edited)

I've seen a few fans express concern over Darnold having thrown 28 INT's in just 26 games.

However, 50% of his INT's came in just 4 of those 26 games (4 vs NE and MIA and 3 vs Minnesota and Jax).

10 games with 0 INT's

10 games with 1 INT

Threw 5 over the final 9 games of 2019.

Discuss

Edited by AFJF
  • Confused 2
  • Post of the Week 1

20 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

FACT: 72% of Darnold’s interceptions occurred when throwing to Robbie Anderson at the very moment Anderson’s edibles kicked in. 

Could not verify through PFF but you're probably right.

Posted (edited)
54 minutes ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

When he's bad he's really bad? 

Pretty much, except we didn't see any "really bad" in 2019 after the Jax game.  Which, if you recall, was when Darnold sat down with Gase to explain how he thought the offense would run better.

Edited by AFJF
  • Post of the Week 1

This is the ray of hope ... I think he learned a bit of a lesson ... Not to press when things are falling apart.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 2

And we need much more of a running game. doesn't have to be tops in the league but it can't be 2-3 yds a carry.

• Upvote 4

Situational dissection is the last bastion of hope for those desperate to find sunshine in a career (to date) drowning in mediocrity.

• Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 3

That NE game was a brilliant game plan by Bellicheat. Played cover zero and blitzed. Our bum Receivers couldn’t get open against man coverage and the line couldn’t block anything. Sam just surrendered and was chucking it up.

I seriously expect those 4int games to be done with as we improved the talent around him.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

2 hours ago, AFJF said:

I've seen a few fans express concern over Darnold having thrown 28 INT's in just 26 games.

However, 50% of his INT's came in just 4 of those 26 games (4 vs NE and MIA and 3 vs Minnesota and Jax).

10 games with 0 INT's

10 games with 1 INT

Discuss

Throwing it up for grabs off his back foot while unbalanced and on the run will do that.
But there have been times when he throws it up for grabs when there isn't severe pressure, but nobody ever talks about that.  He has reckless tendencies and instincts.  But so did many great QBs who struggled early on.  That's what his detractors on this board won't accept.  With this kid, we are going to need patience and some of us here have lost patience.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

darnold improved in most categories last year over his rookie year.  he had some bad games but don't forget it took some time to get back to 100% after the mono.  he probably wan't healthy enough until mid-season.

he has better people around him this season.  he'll do much better.

• Upvote 3

I distinctively recall on those 5 plays Gase's hat was pushed back just enough to allow the sun/lights to reflect off his bulging eye balls and redirect into the filed of play, blinding Darnold at the precise moment he released the ball. 

Rumor has it this same phenomenon has cost Jamal Adams several interceptions all possible pick 6's.  

• Haha 2

28 - # of INTs Peyton Manning threw in his first 16 games

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, AFJF said:

Pretty much, except we didn't see any "really bad" in 2019 after the Jax game.  Which, if you recall, was when Darnold sat down with Gase to explain how he thought the offense would run better.

Bad games happen to young quarterbacks.  Lamar Jackson didn’t exactly light the world on fire in this year’s playoff game

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Bad games happen to young quarterbacks.  Lamar Jackson didn’t exactly light the world on fire in this year’s playoff game

Exactly this.  Expecting a kid with no O-line, no running game and limited targets to succeed with Adam Gase running the show just isn't realistic IMO.

Better blocking, better run game, improved targets and hopefully a better version of Gase help get this turned around.

• Upvote 2

A lot of his picks come when the jets get behind and he forces passes. This should improve as the line improves and the jets aren’t behind by multiple scores. 

• Upvote 2

With no running game because of his OL, I suspect there were lots of 2nd and 3rd and long situations. Hopefully the new OL will resolve that issue, and give him time to throw to the better receivers.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

FACT: 72% of Darnold’s interceptions occurred when throwing to Robbie Anderson at the very moment Anderson’s edibles kicked in. 

Aww hail nah, bruh. We chillin', ain't nobody be automatically solidifying me!! #SonRA

ngvrb0pa56n31.png.67edaca7eee83575bb15596a890dc1db.png

Young, inexperience QBs throw INTs.

Especially trailing in games and under duress.

And at 21 & 22 Sam is younger than most.  

• Post of the Week 1

This can give hope, but it's the third year in a row we are hearing it.  His last year at USC he had a ton of turnovers and we heard they were in a cluster of games and could be easily corrected.  As a rookie we heard how well he did down the stretch and it was supposed to bode well for 2019.  Now this.  He is young, a bit of a gunslinger and will make mistakes, but this is the last year I am patient.  He'd better be balling hard in 2021 or I'm getting off the carousel.  I think he will, I just hope it is enough that it is obvious to anyone.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, AFJF said:

10 games with 0 INT's

10 games with 1 INT

Discuss

The one outlier there is Miami but the three other teams all have formidable pass rushers. So combine heavy rush with an OL that doesn't  block, the result is a lot of picks. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, AFJF said:

10 games with 0 INT's

10 games with 1 INT

Discuss

Needs to keep that mental fortitude and avoid a meltdown while making a single mistake.  If he overcomes this hurdle he will become a star.

15 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

This can give hope, but it's the third year in a row we are hearing it.  His last year at USC he had a ton of turnovers and we heard they were in a cluster of games and could be easily corrected.  As a rookie we heard how well he did down the stretch and it was supposed to bode well for 2019.  Now this.  He is young, a bit of a gunslinger and will make mistakes, but this is the last year I am patient.  He'd better be balling hard in 2021 or I'm getting off the carousel.  I think he will, I just hope it is enough that it is obvious to anyone.

Pass blocking in 2018 wasn't a complete disaster and Herndon was crucial in his development.  Give him middle of the road pass protection, with decent targets and a running game and he'll be elite.

• Upvote 1

Peyton Manning had 43 interceptions in his first 36 games in an offense that had a far superior offensive line blocking for a Hall of Fame WR and Hall of Fame RBs

SAM DARNOLD NEEDS TO BE MORE GENTLE AND CAREFUL WITH BALLS. HE'S TOO CARELESS WITH THEM.