Report: Jets Still Talking to Demaryius Thomas

Demaryius-Thomas.jpg

Connor Hughes of the Athletic is reporting that the Jets are still in touch with veteran wide receiver Demaryius Thomas as training camp approaches.

Report: Jets "still talking" to Demaryius Thomas https://t.co/wLxHlo8pCm

— ProFootballTalk (@ProFootballTalk) July 2, 2020

A last-minute acquisition last season last season, Thomas was fairly productive for Adam Gase in 2020 (36/433/1) when taking into consideration the disaster that was the Jets offensive line.  With no established veterans on the depth chart, bringing Thomas back for a look during the preseason may not be a bad idea.

Having added Breshad Perriman and Denzel Mims to the roster this season, a player such as Thomas could offer a valuable veteran presence in the locker room.

Discuss this news and more right here in our forums.

The post Report: Jets Still Talking to Demaryius Thomas appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
fjFGctCatow

Click here to read the full story...

• Sympathy 1

6 minutes ago, Dcat said:

just in case no one better is released by other teams, this is wise for depth.

Exactly.  No harm in bringing in a guy who didn't look bad at all last season.

12 minutes ago, KRL said:

I was surprised at how effective he was, I thought he was washed.

If his legs are healthy he would be a good add

Which would be more likely if he's not getting 50 reps per game.  Part-time receiver who has chemistry with Darnold and can have an impact when he's on the field.   

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

10 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Which would be more likely if he's not getting 50 reps per game.  Part-time receiver who has chemistry with Darnold and can have an impact when he's on the field.   

Absolutely.  Secondary will have to account for him and cover.  Will open up others for Sam as well.  Can't ignore him out there.  Excellent safety valve to go along with our slot Crowder, who will probably be the most valuable pass catcher for a while.

Too bad Gase won't have him throw to Bell.  I have no idea why, because that is supposed to be a huge, productive weapon for Sam, but Gase is still searching for it somewhere in some middle east desert.  

• Upvote 1

I do not know about how much he will add during the season.  I do think there is value in having a guy like this in for camp.  He is a solid vet that was in Gase's offense when it really worked.  He can be a big help getting the new guys up to speed and a good influence in the meeting room and just teaching guys how to be  a pro.  During the season I would be concerned he would take away from keeping younger guys that have potential to add down the line and he won't be adding anything on specials. 

• Upvote 3

DT is only 32, don't know why I always think of him like hes 40. 

May not be a 4.4 guy anymore, but with his size and ability, why WOULDN'T you keep him? We have plenty of Speed at WR now,  hes an ideal possession guy who knows how to get open.

• Sympathy 2

I have no problem with them keeping the lines of communication open, but I'd rather the Jets didn't resign this guy. Be much better for the team if a couple of the youngsters stepped up. Also think there will be better WRs available after camp cuts in a couple months if the Jets want to go the veteran route. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

I do not know about how much he will add during the season.  I do think there is value in having a guy like this in for camp.  He is a solid vet that was in Gase's offense when it really worked.  He can be a big help getting the new guys up to speed and a good influence in the meeting room and just teaching guys how to be  a pro.  During the season I would be concerned he would take away from keeping younger guys that have potential to add down the line and he won't be adding anything on specials. 

This is pretty much where i am at.  He is a soid signing for TC, but I sure hope they would not need him much in the season. 

I guess he has a litltle more value given the nature of this offseason.  As things stand now, the only returning veteran with any experince with Darnold is Crowder.  Not knowing how long it willt ake for the young guys to get comfortable in the Jets offense, s Thomas signing would act as a bit of insurance.  But if he has a role during the regular season, I sure hope it would diminsh as the season wears on as Mims, Perriman and other young guys can take on bigger roles.

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Biggest reason for this is his leadership. 

Adding depth is never bad, however, I can't begin to tell you how respected DT is in that locker room.

They need to bring DT back and then pivot to finding another starting WR. You can’t go wrong with DT (for depth/guidance) & a starter to grab some more immediate impact for the offense.

• Upvote 1

Bring him back, but be transparent with him.  Let him know that he's no guarantee whatsoever to make the team.  It would be a very good thing if a guy like Cager or Campbell makes it over him.  

If we're planning on Doctson making the cut as the WR4, Thomas would make little sense to end up on the Week 1 roster.  The WR5 spot needs to go to a young guy.  Or, even better, both the WR4 and 5 spots end up going to young guys, pushing Doctson out.