Sign in to follow this  
THE BARON

DAMIAN WOODY - "JAMAL IS SMART"

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/former-jets-star-says-jamal-adams-is-smart-for-demanding-trade-but-explains-why-he-s-likely-going-nowhere/ar-BB16fEBn?ocid=spartan-dhp-feeds

This bit is exactly what I was saying in a previous thread about "Asymmetrical Negotiation" or "Asymmetrical Leverage".   When a given side in a negotiation has no practical leverage, they have to resort of unconventional methods in a negotiation.  In business, a person that is under contract or perhaps has a non-compete clause may try to get out of it by:  Slacking, taking unscheduled time off, staring arguments and quarrels with other employees, threaten to give away company secrets, sabotage their own work or the work of others, dress poorly, come in late all the time, complain constantly, etc...  They become so destructive, the management has no choice but to release them from what ever legalities they are bound by.   Jamal is using Asymmetrical Negotiation tactics.   He does not specifically want off of the Jets roster.  He wants money.   In these cases, the most constructive thing that top management can do with an employee that is using this method is offer a good incentive to the man/woman grandstanding.  An incentive that is economical and fair to both sides.   Make the offer as public and visible for all to see.   If the person in question accepts it, all is well.   If the person rejects a fair offer, then, the company has the final word and the moral/ethical ground to do the following.   Wave the contract in the malcontents face, remind them of the fair offer that was made, and tell them to STFU and do their job like everyone else is doing. 

"“They just did a new CBA where they made it even harder to hold out. So if you’re Jamal Adams, what other recourse do you have? The only recourse you can have is try to be a thorn in the team’s side, where you can hopefully force their hand and they trade you — or withhold your services.

“Those are the only two recourses that he has, because honestly, he has no leverage. He doesn’t have any leverage. The organization knows that"

• Thumb Down 1

6 minutes ago, slats said:

I'm thinking you could've said this in the same thread...

Pretty sure he did, at least according to his first sentence in this thread. 

• Haha 3

What other recourse? He’s under contract. These are the parameters the league has set. Again if players want to kill the goose go for it, but this type of stuff isn’t good for league. Fans won’t come back if players just tweet their way off the roster every 2 years.

• Upvote 4

all good points from woody.  if the jets do offer him a new contract they should make it clear that they just did something for him that they haven't done for other players.  and, as woody says, if he declines then they can play hardball.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, slats said:

I'm thinking you could've said this in the same thread...

I could have, but this is a new article and I know a lot of fans including myself have a lot of respect for what Damian Woody says... 

Are you perhaps tired of threads regarding Jamal or just bored in general ??? 

• Upvote 3

Sure its smart if:

You are an a$$hole who cares about nothing but yourself.

You do not care at all about the team that drafted you and you spent the last 3 years bleating that you were some kind of leader.

You don;t mind having the whole fan base hate you, even after you sign a new deal and say 'all that was negotiations.'

You are a low character phony who can't be trusted.

• Upvote 2

Just now, T0mShane said:

I don’t this it’ll be commonplace. The great players will get paid, and the ok players will acknowledge their lack of leverage. Adams falls in a unique space where he’s an ok player who thinks he’s elite, and he’s also dumb as a brick.

He is an exceptional player at a position that is not regarded as an ultimate priority.  He may or may not have a very high IQ regardless of his methods.  His current antics wont have any bearing on his performance on the field.   Professional athletes that make millions always lose popularity with the market audience when they piss and moan.   Nothing new hear.  He's just been unusually effective at making his case public.   Lets see if it pays off for him. 

The thing is, holding out actually can hurt the team, being an ass on social media just means you can be an ass on social media if the team ignores it. I don't  see how this gives him any levage. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, slats said:

Honestly, just because Damien Woody said this, that doesn't make it news. We've been discussing this exact same concept for weeks: Jamal Adams has no leverage at all, so he's trying to manufacture some with this internet tantrum. 

There's not a word in that article that hasn't been posted here many times before. Despite the headline and the use of the word "savvy," in the article, I don't see anywhere in there where Woody actually says Adams is smart. In fact, the article is basically Woody saying that Adams' ploy probably isn't going to work and that he'll be playing for the Jets this year after publicly claiming he won't be. You think Woody thinks that's smart? 

I'll have you know that I keep my lawn beautifully landscaped.  Grass at an aesthetic height.  No old, rusting automobiles in the yard.   Not that we have a little putz running around the neighborhood with a ruler and tiny note pad, but if we did, he'd get laughed out of town his first day on the job.

Adams has no leverage and an elevated sense of his value. It’s a challenging combination.

Jets have four years of control below what he’s likely asking for annually, he gets hammered with fines if he holds out, and we’re mid pandemic unsure if there will be a season and what the impact will be on the cap. Tons of reasons not to extend him now and that he lacks leverage.

So there were basically three ways for him to play this. Wait until there’s less uncertainty to get the extension when the team has less control and will pay you more. Take a contract that gives you a significant raise but is below what you think you’re worth while you don’t have leverage so you get paid now. Or try to create leverage by stamping your feet. He chose three.

It sucks that he’s got no leverage but this is so bad optically. One first round guy in his class has been extended, he’s throwing a fit, and a bunch of other guys who have outplayed their contracts are just hanging out because they have no leverage and they know it.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, derp said:

So there were basically three ways for him to play this. Wait until there’s less uncertainty to get the extension when the team has less control and will pay you more. Take a contract that gives you a significant raise but is below what you think you’re worth while you don’t have leverage so you get paid now. Or try to create leverage by stamping your feet. He chose three.

His primary goal is to get off the team. He doesn't want to be a Jet. Crying about money is just an excuse to ask for a trade, but then his intentions become clearly transparent when he lists a handful of teams he'd be willing to play for without a contract extension. 

He just wants out and if I'm Joe Douglas I show him the door... as soon as I get an offer I'm willing to accept and not a moment sooner. 

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

To put it another way, if Deshaun Watson was the Jets QB and he wanted a new contract, the organization would give it to him and the fans would want him to have it. The organization doesn’t want to pay a safety who produced 61 tackles and a pick $18 million per and the fans think that player is a ******* loser who loses. 

I see him as a player that outperformed his contract.  I think what is not "equal" is the way each respective team deals with this sort of thing.  Some teams will bargain and offer a new contract or extension.  Other teams, like New England let it be known up front.  Your contract is your contract.  STFU and play.    

I myself have mixed feelings about this sort of thing.  On one hand you want to keep your employees happy and reward people for exceptional performance, but on the other hand, if management has to pay more than contract rates, they company is taking all the risks and getting no reward for being good at selecting/hiring/training employees.   If a given employee underperforms, they are still stuck with the contract.  If one performs splendidly, the company gets NO REWARD for having a good scouting/training department because they have to tear up the original contract and pay out more money.  

It is matter of company culture.  Do you want to be Santa Claus, a total hard-ass mercenary or if possible, in-between ???

3 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

I see him as a player that outperformed his contract.  I think what is not "equal" is the way each respective team deals with this sort of thing.  Some teams will bargain and offer a new contract or extension.  Other teams, like New England let it be known up front.  Your contract is your contract.  STFU and play.    

I myself have mixed feelings about this sort of thing.  On one hand you want to keep your employees happy and reward people for exceptional performance, but on the other hand, if management has to pay more than contract rates, they company is taking all the risks and getting no reward for being good at selecting/hiring/training employees.   If a given employee underperforms, they are still stuck with the contract.  If one performs splendidly, the company gets NO REWARD for having a good scouting/training department because they have to tear up the original contract and pay out more money.  

It is matter of company culture.  Do you want to be Santa Claus, a total hard-ass mercenary or if possible, in-between ???

It’s why drafting a strong safety at 6 was a huge mistake from the jump. Sure, he’s become the player Maccagnan hoped he’d be, but it’s still relatively valueless

• Upvote 4
  • Sad 1

From a buisness perspective I would be astonished if the Jets give him a contract at all at this point. That ship has sailed.

I negotiate contracts with team members all the time, and I can tell you this...

If a team member of mine ever acted in a manner that Jamal is currently acting to extort me for a raise, I would

A - Never cave in to the raise demands. 

B - Make moves to ensure that he isnt on my team anymore.

The type of people that act in this manner, never change their ways when they get what they want...Never. There is always another thing they want later. I value the synergy of my team and one malcontent can absolutely destroy that and divide my team.  

Its business and its MY company, you dont pressure me into sh*t, and yes, Jamal IS extorting the team:

EXTORTION - 

noun
  1. the practice of obtaining something, especially money, through force or threats.
  • Upvote 2

Meh. 

These things can't be looked at in a vacuum. The reality is that it is way more likely than not that all Jamal accomplishes here is telling the entire NFL that he is someone who is willing to put himself first at the expense of the team, and that he will literally burn every bridge possible to get what he wants. 

Does that apply some additional pressure to Jets/JD? Absolutely. But it also reveals a lot about the type of player he is to the rest of the league. If I was a GM for one of the teams Jamal wanted to sign up for I am now forced to 1) give up significant capital to acquire this player 2) eventually pay him a record setting contract for his position and 3) face the reality that whether it is next year if I don't extend him immediately, or down the road when he wants another big contract that this is a player who is willing to burn everything down to get what he wants. Think about how Revis went about his contracts... if you knew Jamal would follow the same path (constantly threatening to holdout/constantly wanting to revisit his contract when he had time left on his existing one) - how much less enticing is he in the eyes of other GMs?

Finally - my main beef is know who you are up against. Say what you want about JD but in a year he has already shown a lot about how he will be as a GM. He has a long term deal so he is under no immediate pressure, he just showed over a few months of FA that he doesn't want to give out big deals at the moment and places a value on character, and that if he were to trade you he is going to be asking for so much back that its going to make a deal almost impossible. 

So yea, he did gain some leverage - but there are other things he did in the process as well that I think make his decisions overall a net negative. 

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

40 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Did Woody ever actually say Adams was “smart” to do this, or was Woody just stating that Adams has no leverage so being an a$$hole is his only route to getting traded?

The ONLY person who used the word "smart" and then "savvy"  was Daryl Slater, I think.  Beware article headlines from any and all Jets beat reporters, I guess.

Former Jets star says Jamal Adams is smart for demanding trade, but explains why he’s likely going nowhere

By Darryl Slater, nj.com  2 hrs ago

NJ.com logoFormer Jets star says Jamal Adams is smart for demanding trade, but explains why he’s likely going nowhere

Damien Woody doesn’t blame the Jets’ most decorated player, All-Pro strong safety Jamal Adams, for requesting a trade as he seeks a new contract.

In fact, Woody thinks it’s a savvy move. But that doesn’t mean Adams will get what he wants — in terms of the trade or contract.

“I think he’s going to play [for the Jets this year],” Woody, a former Jets offensive tackle and current ESPN analyst, told NJ Advance Media. “I just don’t see it in him to sit out. Once we get to playing, I don’t see him being a guy that [says], ‘Well, I’m going to just sit out the year.’ I don’t see that.”

Woody, who still lives in New Jersey, takes a pragmatic outlook with these situations. He fully understands the harsh reality for Adams, who wants a lucrative deal this offseason, after Year 3 of his rookie contract. The Jets have contractual control over him through the 2021 season.

With the Jets and Adams unable to work out a contract this offseason, his frustration reached a boiling point, and he requested a trade. But the Jets haven’t shown any recent interest in trading Adams. (They should be willing to do it — if they get a strong enough offer.)

“Players don’t have much leverage, particularly with Jamal Adams’ situation, where you’ve got multiple years left on your deal,” Woody said. “They just did a new CBA where they made it even harder to hold out. So if you’re Jamal Adams, what other recourse do you have? The only recourse you can have is try to be a thorn in the team’s side, where you can hopefully force their hand and they trade you — or withhold your services.

“Those are the only two recourses that he has, because honestly, he has no leverage. He doesn’t have any leverage. The organization knows that. [General manager] Joe Douglas knows that. [Coach] Adam Gase knows that. So my thing is: Are they going to call his bluff?

“He makes it seem like he’s not going to play for the organization again. OK, well if we don’t trade you, what are you going to do? Are you going to sit out? Good luck with that, with the new CBA and how they handle holdouts now. That’s a lot of money [in fines]. I’m curious to see how it’s all going to play out, too.”

Woody thinks an Adams trade will be tough to pull off, for several reasons.

“Here’s the problem: You’re going to have to give up a bounty if you’re going to trade for Jamal Adams, because he’s that good,” Woody said. “Like, I’m not giving him away, especially when I have the leverage that the Jets have. Why are you going to give him away? So a team is going to have to give up a lot of capital to get him, and then they’ve got to sign him to a contract.

“And on top of that, nobody knows what the [salary] cap is going to be like in 2021. The cap could go down, because of this whole pandemic. That’s why teams aren’t signing guys. So this is just a bad time for Jamal.”

Ultimately, Woody can still envision Adams playing for the Jets long-term, despite his trade request.

“Listen, I don’t ever say that ship has sailed,” Woody said. “You throw enough money at somebody, all things can be fixed. So I don’t think the ship has sailed. I just think it’s a guy that’s trying to use his tools in his toolbox, to try to get what he wants.

“But he doesn’t have the leverage. I’m always going to be on the player’s side. I’m just looking at the reality. The reality is, he doesn’t have the leverage. And that’s the bottom line. [The Jets] are probably just going to wait it out, to see what happens.”

Thank you for relying on us to provide the journalism you can trust. Please consider supporting NJ.com with a voluntary subscription.

Darryl Slater may be reached at dslater@njadvancemedia.com. Tell us your coronavirus story or send a tip here.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

It’s why drafting a strong safety at 6 was a huge mistake from the jump. Sure, he’s become the player Maccagnan hoped he’d be, but it’s still relatively valueless

Mr. Coffee was a disaster in general... 

2 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Here’s the problem: You’re going to have to give up a bounty if you’re going to trade for Jamal Adams, because he’s that good,” Woody said. “Like, I’m not giving him away, especially when I have the leverage that the Jets have. Why are you going to give him away? So a team is going to have to give up a lot of capital to get him, and then they’ve got to sign him to a contract.

“And on top of that, nobody knows what the [salary] cap is going to be like in 2021. The cap could go down, because of this whole pandemic. That’s why teams aren’t signing guys. So this is just a bad time for Jamal.”

Yeah, I don’t see how Slater heard this from Woody and concluded that Jamal was “savvy.”

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, slats said:

Honestly, just because Damien Woody said this, that doesn't make it news. We've been discussing this exact same concept for weeks: Jamal Adams has no leverage at all, so he's trying to manufacture some with this internet tantrum. 

There's not a word in that article that hasn't been posted here many times before. Despite the headline and the use of the word "savvy," in the article, I don't see anywhere in there where Woody actually says Adams is smart. In fact, the article is basically Woody saying that Adams' ploy probably isn't going to work and that he'll be playing for the Jets this year after publicly claiming he won't be. You think Woody thinks that's smart? 

yes. 

Thread title misleading.  should be:

Darryl Slater: "Adams is Smart and so Savvy"
source: Darryl Slater

I don't see the brilliance of shooting your way out of town and alienating everyone. That reputation will follow Jamal and affect any negotiations he has in the future as no one want's to pay a guy only to have him complaining on twitter/threatening to sit out a year or two later when he feels underpaid. What happens when another guy gets a bigger contract the following year? It's just immediate gratification for an entitled young person who knows far less than he thinks. 

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

To put it another way, if Deshaun Watson was the Jets QB and he wanted a new contract, the organization would give it to him and the fans would want him to have it. The organization doesn’t want to pay a safety who produced 61 tackles and a pick $18 million per and the fans think that player is a ******* loser who loses. 

The Cowboys never paid Dak despite him being their franchise QB. Teams have different reasons for paying some guys but not others. The Jets would likely pay Jamal if he understood his own value. 

As for Damien Woody, his quote makes no sense. He is saying that Jamal's only leverage to get paid is to act like a fool to get traded, but he doesn't explain how getting traded helps him get paid. If anything, getting traded to the Cowboys would result in Adams getting paid less because the Cowboys are in cap hell the next few years. 

He’s smart to demand as much money as possible and any leverage he has to his advantage.

He’s a f*cking moron for trying to alienate anyone and everyone associated with the Jets. Burning bridges and showing off to the world what a diva he actually is. His reputation has taken a huge hit amidst this absurd drama.

Any team taking a look at Jamal now will look at this situation as a red flag. It could be them in a few years.

49 minutes ago, Embrace the Suck said:

I don't see the brilliance of shooting your way out of town and alienating everyone. That reputation will follow Jamal and affect any negotiations he has in the future as no one want's to pay a guy only to have him complaining on twitter/threatening to sit out a year or two later when he feels underpaid. What happens when another guy gets a bigger contract the following year? It's just immediate gratification for an entitled young person who knows far less than he thinks. 

I think he's damaged his brand pretty severely. Hard to claim to be a leader of others when all you're about is yourself. I think he could rehabilitate that image if gets traded to a team like the Cowboys and endears himself to the fans of the team he's always wanted to play for, but I don't think he will. This is a guy who's gonna feel disrespected every time someone signs a bigger contract than his, and he's gonna let people know. 

• Upvote 3

Since he thinks Jamal is smart for choosing to leave the Jets...

He is also calling us stupid for choosing to stay with the Jets.

He's smart in realizing he has no leverage.

He's a moron for destroying any avenue he has to guarantee a good pay day with the Jets.  Or goodwill with the fans if he remains on the team.  JD won't cave until conditions suited him.  So the Jets will keep him just long enough to insure they get exactly what they want while sending him a place where he will be unhappy.

Have fun Jamal.  You played checkers and not chess.

23 minutes ago, slats said:

I think he's damaged his brand pretty severely. Hard to claim to be a leader of others when all you're about is yourself. I think he could rehabilitate that image if gets traded to a team like the Cowboys and endears himself to the fans of the team he's always wanted to play for, but I don't think he will. This is a guy who's gonna feel disrespected every time someone signs a bigger contract than his, and he's gonna let people know. 

I agree, he could rehabilitate his image somewhere else as people have short memories, particularly when their team is winning, but I don't think this is a negotiating ploy I think this is really who he is. He certainly isn't a leader as he's clearly a self promoter and those two traits don't mesh well too often. It's a talking the talk and waking the walk sort of thing.

2 hours ago, derp said:

Adams has no leverage and an elevated sense of his value. It’s a challenging combination.

Jets have four years of control below what he’s likely asking for annually, he gets hammered with fines if he holds out, and we’re mid pandemic unsure if there will be a season and what the impact will be on the cap. Tons of reasons not to extend him now and that he lacks leverage.

It sucks that he’s got no leverage but this is so bad optically. One first round guy in his class has been extended, he’s throwing a fit, and a bunch of other guys who have outplayed their contracts are just hanging out because they have no leverage and they know it.

This basically sums up the entire Adams situation.  There is no need for another post on this topic. Just read this post again when you want your Adams fix.