Questions regarding Jamal, the Jets, and the new CBA

I know, I know, not another Jamal thread....

I’m not starting this to bash or support him however. I’m hoping some of you are familiar enough with the new CBA, and will be able to answer some questions for me.

I often hear people say that the Jets have 4 more years of control over Adams. Two more on his rookie deal, and two more years with the franchise tag.  Help me out here...

1. Under the New CBA, are teams allowed to

a) franchise the same player twice, and

b) are they allowed to franchise more than 1 player per year now? I ask this because there could be a possibility the Jets need to franchise another player also, like maybe Darnold...

2. In the event the NFL doesn’t have a season in 2020, will the players be credited with a year of service? By that I mean would Adams still be considered player with 2 years left on his rookie deal in ‘21, or only one?

3. Assuming now there IS a season, and all Jamal’s bonus money has been paid either before or after TC, which I’m 99% certain is the case, the only money he’s due once the ‘20 season starts is a total of $850,000 in game checks.

Can he sit out the year, and only be fined that amount, or can the Jets go after the bonus money paid earlier?

If he can pocket the other 6 or 7 million, I don’t really see him needing to worry about the $850,000. That’s quite a bit of leverage right there if that’s the case.

3 minutes ago, Trolly McTrollface said:

I really hope so... ??

I think we already know where everyone stands on his trade demand/ contract/ positional value etc 

I’m not so sure TM.  Might there be a thread where people have expressed their views?

1.) Teams can tag a player until it becomes mathematically impossible. Beginning this year, they can use both the franchise and transition tags in the same year, but they can't franchise two players. 

2.) I don't think they've gotten that far yet. As long as they play a single game, I believe the players get paid. If the whole season is cancelled, I could see negotiation, mediation, or litigation down the road between the two sides. 

3.) Adams has a $2.7M roster bonus due on the day he shows up to training camp. If he holds out, the Jets can go after his signing bonus money. 

He has no leverage. 

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, slats said:

1.) Teams can tag a player until it becomes mathematically impossible. Beginning this year, they can use both the franchise and transition tags in the same year, but they can't franchise two players. 

2.) I don't think they've gotten that far yet. As long as they play a single game, I believe the players get paid. If the whole season is cancelled, I could see negotiation, mediation, or litigation down the road between the two sides. 

3.) Adams has a $2.7M roster bonus due on the day he shows up to training camp. If he holds out, the Jets can go after his signing bonus money. 

He has no leverage. 

Thanks.

so  in #3, Adams cannot report to TC, collect his money and then walk out once the season starts and keep that money.

It looks like you’re correct, a player in his situation has no leverage.