GreekJet

Will Snyder change the name?

Regardless of name, they've got a great fight song!

5 minutes ago, slats said:

Just over 50 years ago, Washington became the last NFL team to allow blacks on it's roster. The owner at the time was this guy: 

"In 1932, Marshall bought the Boston Braves football team. After five years of sparse crowds, and a loss of $85,000, Marshall moved the team, now named the Redskins, to Washington." 

https://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/07/sports/football/50-years-ago-redskins-were-last-nfl-team-to-integrate.html

So the guy who didn't want blacks on his team also thought it would be fun to change the name of his football team from the much less offensive Braves to the Redskins. Screw that guy, and screw Snyder for sticking with it. The federal government was involved then, withholding the use of the stadium on federal land if they didn't integrate. Same pressure is being applied this time as Snyder tries to move back to DC. At this point, it really just feels like a matter of time. 

People from generations ago should not be judged by today's standards. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, slats said:

I can't judge the last NFL team to integrate its roster? 

No, I'm sorry. I think I can. 

There has to be a last.  If you are telling me he held out many years after all other teams had black players then I agree. If it was just a season or so then he is no different.

5 minutes ago, slats said:

I can't judge the last NFL team to integrate its roster? 

No, I'm sorry. I think I can. 

It was 7 years.  By 1955, every team other than the Redskins had a back player.  7 years is significant. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

You can't judge people from a few years ago by today's standards or Joe Biden would be labeled a racist.

With that said, times change and what is considered right/wrong changes. The time for Snyder to change the name has come and I'm pretty confident it will happen sooner rather than later.

I'm not arguing that standards change and evolve from generation to generation.  I've always had a problem with going into history and judging historic figures by todays standards.  In this case Marshall was a racist by the standards of his era, as there was a 7 year gap between all other NFL teams and the Redskins in signing minority players.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

True but I'd bet the vast majority of those owners were racists.

I mean the Giants still haven't had a black head coach or a black starting QB unless you count that one time Geno Smith started and got benched by ownership the next week.

Of course they were racist, but that was an accepted practice back when these sports leagues started. I judge people by the standards of their era otherwise you are not being fair. For example, The Yankees won't use the Kate Smith version of "God Bless America" because back in 1931 she sang a song "Thats Why the Darkies Were Born." Yet the Yankees for decades refused to sign minority players.  The Yankees excuse themselves for the accepted practice of racism of that era but won't tolerate it from Kate Smith.  Ridiculous!

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Warfish said:

The Redskins is a name in use today.  So yes, it can be judged by today's standards.  

5 minutes ago, GreekJet said:

Im with you to a degree. We have the right to look down upon figures who were on the wrong side of history just as we look up to and praise those who were on the right side. 

Do I think Thomas Jefferson and George Washington deserve to have all their monuments taken down for owning slaves? Not at all, it was nearly 250 years ago in a totally different world. That said it absolutely should be mentioned as a footnote in their legacy and not be hidden (if that makes sense). 

I agree with you.

8 minutes ago, victorjets said:

Washington Indians, Washington Cherokees, Washington Navajos, Washington Apaches, make it an homage to native american culture and be done with it.

Washington Americans.  It's a play on Native Americans (keep basically the same uniform) and it's a shot at their rivals, the Cowboys being America's team.

Other good names would be the Warriors or perhaps the Tomahawks (go back to their old helmet.)

image.png.0baa02117d5921b624d8d1db690ac65f.png

• Upvote 2

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company