GreekJet

Will Snyder change the name?

It's always interesting to me how many people feel a desperate and overwhelming need to defend things like the Redskins name, Confederate Statues, and policies of discrimination, because of something something "history and heritage", especially when any change would have no effect whatsoever on them. 

It says something that some folks feel so personally attacked when people attack racism in general....:-k

Sadly, this seems a universal human trait, as in my experience the worst offenders of stridently defending the obviously race-based and racist Washington team name are African American DC residents.  The very same people loudly proclaiming Black Lives Matter and fighting systemic racism (rightfully so) seem completely oblivious to the Red lives that in most ways have been treated worse than they have.  You would think if anyone could understand systemic racism against Native Americans, and help fight against it, it would be African Americans.  But nope, in my experience they're the folks most defending the team name.  

Kinda like the biggest "Merica' F' Yeah! Patriotism! Check out my Flag!" people are the most strident defenders of statues of traitorous rebels who fought a war against the United States.  Again, same issues at play.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

14 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

At what point do you stop judging teams that at some point didn't integrate?

Probably right after they change the only truly objectionable team name in American professional sports, a name chosen by an unquestionable racist who specifically marketed his team to other equally unquestionable racists.

And I say that as someone who strongly disagreed with the change from Washington Bullets to the Wizards.

41 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

People from generations ago should not be judged by today's standards. 

The Redskins is a name in use today.  So yes, it can be judged by today's standards.  

2 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

Another good name would be the Warriors.

If I was a betting man, this will be the outcome.

No color changes.  No logo changes.  Only the name will be changed, to Warriors.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

It wont. Changing mascots, abolishing the police, and toppling Lincoln statues is far more important in our chase for true equality.

Because dudes who refuse to even give ground on blatantly racist team names are surely going to vote away their own privilege to provide for true equality, right? :-k

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company