Will Snyder change the name?

23 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

It was 7 years.  By 1955, every team other than the Redskins had a back player.  7 years is significant. 

I bet the fact that the team was in Boston, catering to their predominately racially insensitive and cheating loving nature, played a role in this

• Upvote 2

All of the genocided native non-americans will be crying tears of joy. Finally, America delivers justice...after 300+ years...by changing the name...of an NFL team. Brilliant. A great day, i'm sure, for the 5 surviving natives in the United states.

By the way, has #cancel culture hit the kansas city chiefs' tomahawk chop yet? This seems awfully stereotypical:

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

Of course they were racist, but that was an accepted practice back when these sports leagues started. I judge people by the standards of their era otherwise you are not being fair. For example, The Yankees won't use the Kate Smith version of "God Bless America" because back in 1931 she sang a song "Thats Why the Darkies Were Born." Yet the Yankees for decades refused to sign minority players.  The Yankees excuse themselves for the accepted practice of racism of that era but won't tolerate it from Kate Smith.  Ridiculous!

Im with you to a degree. We have the right to look down upon figures who were on the wrong side of history just as we look up to and praise those who were on the right side. 

Do I think Thomas Jefferson and George Washington deserve to have all their monuments taken down for owning slaves? Not at all, it was nearly 250 years ago in a totally different world. That said it absolutely should be mentioned as a footnote in their legacy and not be hidden (if that makes sense). 

• Upvote 3

I don’t care, but I will never understand how using a name in an idolizing fashion is offensive. 

What if they named a team the Newtown Ni***rs— would that be ok with you since it’s in an “idiolizing manner” or would it be a slur — what about the Chesapeake Ch**ks? What about the Smallville Sp**cs?

Just admit that since it doesn’t bother your PARTICULAR demographic you don’t care. I don’t get how anyone can’t see how offensive the use of a slur as a team name is. Oh that’s right since native

Americans are a marginalized minority no one gives a sh*t

4 hours ago, PS17 said:

You gotta love Nike saying the name Redskins is unacceptable while they pay slave wages in sweat shops in third world countries. 

But we like sneakers! 

5 minutes ago, GreekJet said:

Im with you to a degree. We have the right to look down upon figures who were on the wrong side of history just as we look up to and praise those who were on the right side. 

Do I think Thomas Jefferson and George Washington deserve to have all their monuments taken down for owning slaves? Not at all, it was nearly 250 years ago in a totally different world. That said it absolutely should be mentioned as a footnote in their legacy and not be hidden (if that makes sense). 

I agree with you.

2020: a time where everyone is offended by everything. And I for one am outraged!!! 

Seriously tho, If redskin is so offensive, then why do we call people of color, Black? Isn't that equally offensive? I think we should stop calling them black. We should probably just refer to everyone as homo sapiens. Then nobody can get sand in there vagina.

5 minutes ago, DLJ said:

What if they named a team the Newtown Ni***rs— would that be ok with you since it’s in an “idiolizing manner” or would it be a slur — what about the Chesapeake Ch**ks? What about the Smallville Sp**cs?

Just admit that since it doesn’t bother your PARTICULAR demographic you don’t care. I don’t get how anyone can’t see how offensive the use of a slur as a team name is. Oh that’s right since native

Americans are a marginalized minority no one gives a sh*t

From what I understand if it was a Rap group it would be OK??

• Thumb Down 1

5 minutes ago, predator_05 said:

All of the genocided native non-americans will be crying tears of joy. Finally, America delivers justice...after 300+ years...by changing the name...of an NFL team. Brilliant. A great day, i'm sure, for the 5 surviving natives in the United states.

By the way, has #cancel culture hit the kansas city chiefs' tomahawk chop yet? This seems awfully stereotypical:

Is the woke movement going to get rid of the Florida State Seminoles and their Chief Osceola too?

2020: a time where everyone is offended by everything. And I for one am outraged!!! 
Seriously tho, If redskin is so offensive, then why do we call people of color, Black? Isn't that equally offensive? I think we should stop calling them black. We should probably just refer to everyone as homo sapiens. Then nobody can get sand in there vagina.

Another ridiculous take...

4 hours ago, nico002 said:

yup and pay their ceo/executives exorbitant amounts of money contributing to the #1 issue that no one talks about in this country, Low/middle class wages not really increasing since the 1990s while our costs rise and %1 of people control 99% of wealth.

Thank you. I'm hoping the nationwide protests and marches continue, and the focus shifts to tackling income inequality, corporate greed, and fair voting. 

• Upvote 2

From what I understand if it was a Rap group it would be OK??

What rap group is naming themselves that with the hard R?

Oh oh oh here comes the “ black people use it with each other so it’s totally ok” argument...
  • Upvote 4

So, it looks like Snyder is changing the name. Kind of something for everyone lately. Plenty of symbolic gestures targeted toward progressive, anti-racist activists, but also zero substantive policy shifts that might upset a single boomer. So, carry on. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2

1 hour ago, Integrity28 said:

I consider myself lucky. The most offensive thing I face is when Gen X is completely ignored in polling across generations.

Boomers and millenials ruining everything..

As to this issue, change the name. Its long overdue. 

However, imo people with the idea that those who resist cancel culture are doing so solely on racist grounds have a pretty shallow take on the matter. Organized mobs of people deciding what is or isnt ok to think/say with the power to take away livelihoods and ostracize is pretty dangerous as far as I'm concerned. Particularly as thier causes move from unambiguous issues to ones that are more complex and nuanced. 

• Upvote 4

14 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

So, it looks like Snyder is changing the name. Kind of something for everyone lately. Plenty of symbolic gestures targeted toward progressive, anti-racist activists, but also zero substantive policy shifts that might upset a single boomer. So, carry on. 

If you review google trends for the term Black lives Matter it spiked in 2016 and now again in 2020 and was not a blip in between. So either cops were strangely non aggressive for 17,18,19 or a very real issue is being exploited by scum media and politicians in an election year, and we will be back to business as usual in Dec. But hey some great photos ops for Pelosi and crowd 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Lurker89 said:

Okay.... so I said something that makes you not want to engage with me anymore?

I'm talking to you rationally, I'm not being combative. Not trolling you, you could just express your opinion as to why I'm "off-track" instead of taking your ball and going home.

You are willing to butt heads with @Gastineau Lives  but want me to put  you on ignore, I'm genuinely confused by that stance.

You took the conversation sideways. I figure if you’re that bothered that you took it a different direction, better to ignore me. Just trying to be peaceful, and avoid deflection or generalized arguments, not avoiding anything. Do as you want, it was a suggestion.

8 minutes ago, victorjets said:

Washington Indians, Washington Cherokees, Washington Navajos, Washington Apaches, make it an homage to native american culture and be done with it.

Washington Americans.  It's a play on Native Americans (keep basically the same uniform) and it's a shot at their rivals, the Cowboys being America's team.

Other good names would be the Warriors or perhaps the Tomahawks (go back to their old helmet.)

image.png.0baa02117d5921b624d8d1db690ac65f.png

• Upvote 2