jetstream23

Darnold hit piece on ESPN front page, "Is his talent salvageable?"

854937692_ScreenShot2020-07-03at8_39_20AM.png.14a5ff1654c8062d59710225939144d0.png

Is this Sam Darnold's last chance? A progress report on the Jets QB and what to expect in 2020

This week, I checked in with progress reports for quarterbacks from the 2018 NFL draft. Five quarterbacks were drafted in the first round that year, and I took detailed looks at Lamar Jackson (Tuesday), Josh Allen (Wednesday), Baker Mayfield (Thursday) and Sam Darnold (Friday). Sorry, Josh Rosen; I'll get to you another time.

If you were crafting a quarterback prospect from scratch, you would likely end up with something close to Sam Darnold. The New York Jets quarterback has prototypical size and arm strength. He is tough and an above-average athlete. He anticipates windows coming open and makes accurate passes to give his receivers opportunities to run after the catch. He makes the sort of unstoppable, breathtaking throws that only a few human beings on the planet can make.

Darnold just doesn't make them often enough to push the Jets toward success -- so far. Watch him play and you see brilliance interspersed with disappointment. There are stretches in which he looks like a 10-year veteran, easily spraying the ball around the field on time as he finds open receivers. There also are plays, possessions and even games in which he looks worse than your typical young quarterback. It's tough to guess what's coming next when you follow one of your best starts as a pro with arguably the worst start in Jets history.....(continued here https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29402013/is-sam-darnold-last-chance-progress-report-jets-qb-expect-2020 )

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 3

bob GIF

there there Jets fans 

he's actually really awesome

everyone in the national media is wrong

and dumb

and a poopy pants

YOU'RE right 

just like always

In summary Sam Darnold is amazing, he's TOTALLY worth all those picks and Quenton Nelson

Drafting USC QBs is always a great idea, especially in New York City. 

• Upvote 4
  • Thumb Down 10
  • Sad 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 6

he did pieces on all the 2018 qbs.

look at paradis icon...    bad footwork....

the piece also includes a healthy dose of gase criticism...

and invokes comps to alex smith and troy aikman.....

i mean...   this is the 2nd paragraph...

only thing is....it also ends up with the types of questions that i and a few others around here ask....which are so unpopular...

If you were crafting a quarterback prospect from scratch, you would likely end up with something close to Sam Darnold. The New York Jets quarterback has prototypical size and arm strength. He is tough and an above-average athlete. He anticipates windows coming open and makes accurate passes to give his receivers opportunities to run after the catch. He makes the sort of unstoppable, breathtaking throws that only a few human beings on the planet can make.

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29402013/is-sam-darnold-last-chance-progress-report-jets-qb-expect-2020

I agree with most of the analysis here. I think he does a good job using the analytics while also trying to provide some context. Where I disagree with him is that I don’t see 2020 as a make or break year for Sam. I think the Jets/Douglas realize that this is still a flawed roster and would try to run it back with Darnold in 2021 with a new head coach and a more stable environment on offense. 

Its true Joe Douglas/Adam Gase didn’t draft Sam Darnold, but ownership hired them to develop his game and build an infrastructure around him. If he fails, they failed IMO. 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

he did pieces on all the 2018 qbs.

look at paradis icon...    bad footwork....

the piece also includes a healthy dose of gase criticism...

and invokes comps to alex smith and troy aikman.....

i mean...   this is the 2nd paragraph...

only thing is....it also ends up with the types of questions that i and a few others around here ask....which are so unpopular...

It’s not really a hit piece, but the headline does suggest it would be (generate those clicks). 

• Upvote 1

My biggest worry about Sam Darnold is Adam Gase. 

I feel the GM is legit trying to add enough talent to succed.

• Upvote 3

you act as if anything that doenst procliam that darnold is god himsef is an unsult......

btw, yesterdays headline was 

What went wrong for Baker Mayfield, and can he be fixed? A progress report on the Browns QB

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, GreekJet said:

It’s not really a hit piece, but the headline does suggest it would be (generate those clicks). 

no its not.

but the babies around here wail so easily...

@Beerfish   is on thr ight track...  i think...   and its basically barfwell's conclusion. that sam will be as good as those round him.

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 2

I can only imagine Barnwell’s Daniel Jones headline:

How many hands do I need to give him a handjob?

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

you act as if anything that doenst procliam that darnold is god himsef is an unsult......

btw, yesterdays headline was 

What went wrong for Baker Mayfield, and can he be fixed? A progress report on the Browns QB

Didn’t all four teams that drafted a QB in 2018 pass on Mahomes/Watson? Kiem looks like a genius for cutting bait on Rosen.

Lmao Darnold is an MVP candidate this year but his talent salvageable? Ok then fake news

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

what a hit piece!!! u guys really are ******* pussies...       oversensitive carriers of the y chromosome

valuating Darnold after two seasons requires an elaborate system of caveats and justifications. Everyone is going to weigh those differently. How do you account for him suffering from mononucleosis? What have the Jets done to surround him with talent? Do you treat the second half of 2019 -- when he threw 13 touchdown passes against four picks and posted a passer rating of 93.5 -- as his true talent level and a launching point for 2020? Or do you look at that schedule, see six consecutive starts against teams that finished in the bottom quartile of pass defense DVOA this past season, and worry about what Darnold is going to do when five of his first nine starts in 2020 come against top-six pass defenses?

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 2

2 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

Darnold is an MVP candidate

who has said this????

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, bitonti said:

We all remember that game. He throws a pick 6 opening drive and gets hot to beat the Lions. 

he's like 3-9 all time against Playoff teams

he's missed 3 games out of 16 every year. 13 games is what Darnold plays 

this is year 3 of 5 out of his rookie deal. 

the team used a 4th rounder on James Morgan

those are all facts 

was it the right move?

time will tell 

I will say one thing it's notable that instead of defending Darnold these threads become more about Doxxing the author and attacking the source

the numbers on Darnold are what they are 

franchise QBs can perform even with UPS drivers blocking for them 

Phillip Rivers has made a career out of it

There was never a season where Phillip Rivers had offensive talent as bad as the 2018 and 2019 Jets. If you really believe that, then I don't know what to say. And even when he did have poor blocking, he had an abundance of probowl or HoF talent (Gates, Vincent Jackson, Gordon, Allen..)

What's the Jets record against playoff teams this decade as a team? I'm assuming not very good. 

You are right we will see what happens. But my money is on Sam finally taking a step forward and proving his worth. The OLine handicap, Receiver Injuries, New Playbooks almost every year of his career, mono....it's alot of excuses and I hate using excuses but that list is absurd.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

14 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

My biggest worry about Sam Darnold is Adam Gase. 

I feel the GM is legit trying to add enough talent to succed.

Keep in mind that Tannheill used to always be at the bottom of the league in these advanced metrics under gase. Football outsiders had a stat I read somewhere that Gase offenses always lead the league in failed completions. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

who has said this????

Who said Lamar would be last year?

I haven't read an article about the Jets since 2003. It's not worth it. Journalism is dead. Entertainment and selling bs for clicks is in.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

what a hit piece!!! u guys really are ******* pussies...     

Please refrain from this sort of thing. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

7 minutes ago, GreekJet said:

Who said Lamar would be last year?

i didnt. but i am pretty sure someone at ESPN called it before the season, iirc

15 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

Lmao Darnold is an MVP candidate this year but his talent salvageable? Ok then fake news

WTF?