jetstream23

Darnold hit piece on ESPN front page, "Is his talent salvageable?"

he did pieces on all the 2018 qbs.

look at paradis icon...    bad footwork....

the piece also includes a healthy dose of gase criticism...

and invokes comps to alex smith and troy aikman.....

i mean...   this is the 2nd paragraph...

only thing is....it also ends up with the types of questions that i and a few others around here ask....which are so unpopular...

If you were crafting a quarterback prospect from scratch, you would likely end up with something close to Sam Darnold. The New York Jets quarterback has prototypical size and arm strength. He is tough and an above-average athlete. He anticipates windows coming open and makes accurate passes to give his receivers opportunities to run after the catch. He makes the sort of unstoppable, breathtaking throws that only a few human beings on the planet can make.

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

you act as if anything that doenst procliam that darnold is god himsef is an unsult......

btw, yesterdays headline was 

What went wrong for Baker Mayfield, and can he be fixed? A progress report on the Browns QB

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, GreekJet said:

It’s not really a hit piece, but the headline does suggest it would be (generate those clicks). 

no its not.

but the babies around here wail so easily...

@Beerfish   is on thr ight track...  i think...   and its basically barfwell's conclusion. that sam will be as good as those round him.

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 2

what a hit piece!!! u guys really are ******* pussies...       oversensitive carriers of the y chromosome

valuating Darnold after two seasons requires an elaborate system of caveats and justifications. Everyone is going to weigh those differently. How do you account for him suffering from mononucleosis? What have the Jets done to surround him with talent? Do you treat the second half of 2019 -- when he threw 13 touchdown passes against four picks and posted a passer rating of 93.5 -- as his true talent level and a launching point for 2020? Or do you look at that schedule, see six consecutive starts against teams that finished in the bottom quartile of pass defense DVOA this past season, and worry about what Darnold is going to do when five of his first nine starts in 2020 come against top-six pass defenses?

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 2

2 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

Darnold is an MVP candidate

who has said this????

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, GreekJet said:

Who said Lamar would be last year?

i didnt. but i am pretty sure someone at ESPN called it before the season, iirc

5 minutes ago, Trolly McTrollface said:

Forget the headline of this thread, it wasn’t a “hit piece.”

i'd lay good money that the OP didntg even read the article before posting it as a hit piece....

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 2

13 minutes ago, Lith said:

I don't know. 

The hyperbole on both sides of the Darnold argument drive me crazy.  I am disappointed in his first two years.  Team has not been good and he has not been what I had hoped.  There are legitimate reasons for this which have been disucssed on this site for the last 10 months 

For a national writer to refer to his numbers as "horrid" is ridiculous click bait.  It is also crazy to refer to him as a sure fire 10-year franchise QB.  I am optmistic about Sam, I hope to see a big leap this season.  But I think it is okay to be a Jet fan and to recornize that the jury is still out .  And he needs to be better this season.

the numbers ARE quite bad...   theres a lot of different ways to say that...  but they are BAD.....    

the piece isnt a HIT PIECE...  ffs...   this is the last 3 paragraphs..  my bold

My concern is that Darnold might only be as good as the people around him, and his development could depend more on players such as Becton, Mims and Perriman becoming instant contributors. Darnold can play a role in making them better, but he hasn't been able to do that with the likes of Anderson or Bell. It's also fair to question whether Gase is truly effective at developing young quarterbacks, given that all of his work as a pro before Darnold has really been with veterans, outside of serving as Tim Tebow's quarterbacks coach.

Compare that to the Browns, who went out of their way to add talent for Mayfield over the past two years. During the brief moments when they've each been at their respective zenith as pros, Darnold has looked better than Mayfield, the one quarterback who was chosen ahead of him in 2018. Given their respective supporting casts, though, Mayfield has a better chance of producing above-average efficiency in 2020 than Darnold.

For Darnold to break through in 2020, he needs something to really go his way. He needs that brutal schedule to lighten up thanks to injuries, or for Bell to have a big year as a runner. He needs one of Perriman, Mims or Herndon to emerge as a star target. There's still upside in Darnold's profile, and at his best, he still looks like that prototypical quarterback prospect. I just don't think he's going to be able to deliver on his own.

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Also, when do you Venmo me?

:D

if we HAD, I would absolutely pay you...   

yesterday was can Baker mayfield be fixed. is that somehow ok more than todays headline on Sam?

the whole hypersensitivity to crit of Sam is juvenile and lame. ffs, he's had 2 bad years where we're out of playoff contention by week 9.

Sam seems like a earnest, good kid and is very likeable. I like him. 

But , in the end, his footwork sucks whcih concerns me...

we though we were getting perennial top 10 type talent...    i dont think that what he will become..

i think he's as good as the talent around him...aka Andy Dalton

• Upvote 1

somehow i stumble on this... 

https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/every_throw_graded_ultimate_scouting_report_of_jets_sam_darnold/s1_13132_31475993

here's the CODA

f the Jets improve the pieces around him, Darnold is capable of becoming a top-15 quarterback. When his line plays well. he'll play well. When Darnold has taken a pressure rate of below 34 percent (about league average), he is 7-1 with a 108.3 passer rating and the Jets average 29 points.

Keep in mind Darnold's age -- he'll only be 23 when he begins his third season. Still, Darnold must demonstrate progress in 2020. Three straight mediocre seasons -- regardless of his age or quality of support –- will not give New York much hope. 

• Upvote 1

fwiw, 

the article does substantive work on whether Gase is worth a ****...

2 minutes ago, nico002 said:

the largest statistical outlier in NFL history,

you rea;lize that what you are saying is that Sam Darnld played one of the worst games for any QB who has ever played, right?

10 hours ago, slats said:

I did the numbers somewhere else, but if you took out Darnold's best and worst game last year, his stats rose to close to the middle of the pack. I don't remember exactly, but it was a fairly significant move up. It was really only that Cheatriot game that was the outlier of the whole season. But that was a national TV game and it sticks in people's minds. 

btw, i forget where teh f i just was...  but that game was actually the worst game ever played by a jet qb...   

yes, including brooks bollinger

10 hours ago, slats said:

We've still got folks here trying to convince me that Bell is still an elite RB. Big 3.2 yards per carry last year. Pretty sure there's a stat out there that he was hit behind the line more than any other RB, too. That's the excuse for Bell, it's all the OL's fault...

But in the next breath, that's not an excuse for the youngest QB to ever start a season? That OL and Robby Anderson as his #1 target? What QB is expected to be effective in that situation? 

Sure, he has things to work on. But most of them, IMHO, are bad habits he's developing running for his life. Like the back foot throws. He steps up when he can, but that seems to've been pretty rare. Or trying to do too much, again, because of no push in the running game, bad play calling, a penalty, or maybe Darnold himself on occasion putting him in a position where he needs a lot of yards on one play. The support for this kid simply hasn't been there. Does he have to get better? Of course! The whole offense has to get a lot better. 

no.. not an excuse for, oh , let me stop completely behind the los cos i aim known for y accelration, bell...

he sucked as much as the ol did...   no slower rb in the nfl...   what was his yards after contact??

there is no slamming sam cos he's got bad character...     hes a good kid. 

his lame footwork does not bode well...

the odds are against him being above average based on the data we have....

can it happen? yes. will it? 

we the jets, so ...the odds say no. but???    miracles DO happen. 

just curious..

what does JN think of Aikman?

me? decent qb on a great team. not more. not a great qb. a solid piece. Romo was significantly better. a very good qb, not quite great...flirted with greatness.

13 hours ago, SackExchangeNYJ said:

So Barnwell is playing all sides of this, evidently. One minute, Darnold is on his last chance. The next, the WRs are to blame.

it is not a hit piece...which is why i said the op didnt read the article...  there is substantial time given to every excuse that JN gives for sam..personnel, coahces, et cet....

12 hours ago, CTM said:

Probably because both can be and in fact are true 

its crazy. cos the article does not slam sam... it is a decent piece that includes all levels of excuses jn makes for sam... 

his conclusiojn isngt what jn wants, in that he believes sam will be as good as his surroundings.

see above question re: aikman

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Here is what I care about, will he be one of the highest PRODUCING QB's in the league in 3 years.  I hope he is.

this

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DoubleDown said:

He does.

Since drafting Darnold, the Jets are 0-6 when he is out of the lineup.  They are 11-15 when he starts.

That's as black and white as it gets in terms of "making the players around him better."  The Jets are a somewhat competitive team when he plays.  They are possibly the worst team in the league when he does not play.

we decided that anything resembling competition at the QB position was bad...   thus our backups stunk to hi holy hell....

• Upvote 2

just so I am sure...

only Jets fans doubt Sam Darnold?

5 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I wouldn't put much stock in anything non-Jets fans have to say about the individual players (whether positive or negative).  The team hasn't made the postseason in a decade and thus has had precious few nationally televised games for a long time.  And how many NFL ticket owners are ever bothering to turn on a Jets game?

only Jet fans are qualified to analyze our own players...??

unless they are applauding Sam Darnold? 

• Confused 1

proper footwork

• Like 1

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company