jetstream23

Darnold hit piece on ESPN front page, "Is his talent salvageable?"

So Barnwell is playing all sides of this, evidently. One minute, Darnold is on his last chance. The next, the WRs are to blame.

5 minutes ago, CTM said:

Probably because both can be and in fact are true 

So he's on his last chance.

8 minutes ago, slats said:

We've still got folks here trying to convince me that Bell is still an elite RB. Big 3.2 yards per carry last year. Pretty sure there's a stat out there that he was hit behind the line more than any other RB, too. That's the excuse for Bell, it's all the OL's fault...

But in the next breath, that's not an excuse for the youngest QB to ever start a season? That OL and Robby Anderson as his #1 target? What QB is expected to be effective in that situation? 

Sure, he has things to work on. But most of them, IMHO, are bad habits he's developing running for his life. Like the back foot throws. He steps up when he can, but that seems to've been pretty rare. Or trying to do too much, again, because of no push in the running game, bad play calling, a penalty, or maybe Darnold himself on occasion putting him in a position where he needs a lot of yards on one play. The support for this kid simply hasn't been there. Does he have to get better? Of course! The whole offense has to get a lot better. 

So what you're saying is that there is a gray area? That it is possible to say Darnold has some developing to do, that he has some work to do to develop his game, but he's still young and has potential, and has had a terrible supporting cast around him in his first two years that is starting to get a bit better?

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, CTM said:

Depends what last means to you, if hes a bottom 5 QB this year its hos last year as the defacto starter I think and Douglas will have to bring in legit competition.

If last means hell be out of the NFL, then obv no 

Well, Barnwell's piece talked about if Gase was dumped by the Jets, a new HC could be looking for his own choice at QB. So that would mean Darnold would be tossed aside at the age of 23. 

I agree that if he is bottom five, the idea of the starting job being his will no longer be guaranteed. He'd have to win the job. But I don't see the Jets dumping him after this year. At worst, they would choose not to pick up his fifth year option, and if he became a stud in his fourth year, they'd tag him and try to extend him. And honestly, that's not likely. He will quite likely be here at least two more years after 2020, whether he is starting or not.

• Upvote 1

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company