jetstream23

Darnold hit piece on ESPN front page, "Is his talent salvageable?"

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29402013/is-sam-darnold-last-chance-progress-report-jets-qb-expect-2020

I agree with most of the analysis here. I think he does a good job using the analytics while also trying to provide some context. Where I disagree with him is that I don’t see 2020 as a make or break year for Sam. I think the Jets/Douglas realize that this is still a flawed roster and would try to run it back with Darnold in 2021 with a new head coach and a more stable environment on offense. 

Its true Joe Douglas/Adam Gase didn’t draft Sam Darnold, but ownership hired them to develop his game and build an infrastructure around him. If he fails, they failed IMO. 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

he did pieces on all the 2018 qbs.

look at paradis icon...    bad footwork....

the piece also includes a healthy dose of gase criticism...

and invokes comps to alex smith and troy aikman.....

i mean...   this is the 2nd paragraph...

only thing is....it also ends up with the types of questions that i and a few others around here ask....which are so unpopular...

If you were crafting a quarterback prospect from scratch, you would likely end up with something close to Sam Darnold. The New York Jets quarterback has prototypical size and arm strength. He is tough and an above-average athlete. He anticipates windows coming open and makes accurate passes to give his receivers opportunities to run after the catch. He makes the sort of unstoppable, breathtaking throws that only a few human beings on the planet can make.

It’s not really a hit piece, but the headline does suggest it would be (generate those clicks). 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

you act as if anything that doenst procliam that darnold is god himsef is an unsult......

btw, yesterdays headline was 

What went wrong for Baker Mayfield, and can he be fixed? A progress report on the Browns QB

Didn’t all four teams that drafted a QB in 2018 pass on Mahomes/Watson? Kiem looks like a genius for cutting bait on Rosen.

14 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

My biggest worry about Sam Darnold is Adam Gase. 

I feel the GM is legit trying to add enough talent to succed.

Keep in mind that Tannheill used to always be at the bottom of the league in these advanced metrics under gase. Football outsiders had a stat I read somewhere that Gase offenses always lead the league in failed completions. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

who has said this????

Who said Lamar would be last year?

11 hours ago, Trolly McTrollface said:

Good point. Sanchez had an engaging personality and an ability to laugh at himself which made him very likeable.

Sam seems beyond boring. A lot of guys here might see that and turn it into him being an all business type of guy. That might be true, I don’t know.

It seems to me that he isnt the type to exude any signs of vocal leadership either in the press, the locker room, or on the field. Maybe he has done/does do that, but it’s certainly not something that jumps out at you.

I actually go the chance to personally meet Sam at an ESPN radio function my company was involved in. He’s a very nice/mature kid that seems to really have his head on straight. There is nothing wrong with his personality that I’m aware of. 

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, slats said:

I think so. Even if they did decide to fire Gase, I’d expect the Johnsons and Joe Douglas to want their new head coach to try to make it work with Darnold. 

I agree wholeheartedly. For what the Jets gave up to draft Darnold they are going to give him every possible chance to be successful before pulling the plug. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Losmeister said:

there is no slamming sam cos he's got bad character...     hes a good kid. 

his lame footwork does not bode well...

the odds are against him being above average based on the data we have....

can it happen? yes. will it? 

we the jets, so ...the odds say no. but???    miracles DO happen. 

Based on the data? He’s started 25 games as a 21-22 year old on an awful team and has held his own. The “data” offers zero context.

Let me also be clear football “analytics” is totally worthless, and PFF is total click bait at this point. We are talking about team sport with a ton of variables and a limited sample size. 

• Upvote 2

On 7/3/2020 at 11:55 AM, Savage69 said:

John Elway never completed 60% of his passes till his 10th year and in his first 3 years he had 47 tds and 52 picks.. Not everyone starts out like Marino..

Totally different era. If you look at John Elway’s stats and compare them to guys today you’d wonder how he even got consideration for the hall. 

I heard Steve Young mention once in an interview that he could probably step in today and rack up some yards as there are so many easy completions for QBs in today’s game.

To that point back then most QBs didn’t start as rookies and had a much a longer leash to develop. Barnwells point is that in today’s NFL if a QB doesn’t show he’s an upper echelon player after three seasons teams will generally move on. Darnolds rookie contract window is over after the 2021 season. If the Jets finish with a top 5 pick and Darnold is still having moments where he looks lost it’s reasonable to think the Jets should draft another guy and restart the clock on the rookie QB contract window. 

On 7/3/2020 at 11:55 AM, Savage69 said:

John Elway never completed 60% of his passes till his 10th year and in his first 3 years he had 47 tds and 52 picks.. Not everyone starts out like Marino..

Totally different era. If you look at John Elway’s stats and compare them to guys today you’d wonder how he even got consideration for the hall. 

I heard Steve Young mention once in an interview that he could probably step in today and rack up some yards as there are so many easy completions for QBs in today’s game.

To that point back then most QBs didn’t start as rookies and had a much a longer leash to develop. Barnwells point is that in today’s NFL if a QB doesn’t show he’s an upper echelon player after three seasons teams will generally move on. Darnolds rookie contract window is over after the 2021 season. If the Jets finish with a top 5 pick and Darnold is still having moments where he looks lost it’s reasonable to think the Jets should draft another guy and restart the clock on the rookie QB contract window. 

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company