jetstream23

Darnold hit piece on ESPN front page, "Is his talent salvageable?"

4 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

what a hit piece!!! u guys really are ******* pussies...     

Please refrain from this sort of thing. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

3 hours ago, Losmeister said:

For Darnold to break through in 2020, he needs something to really go his way. He needs that brutal schedule to lighten up thanks to injuries, or for Bell to have a big year as a runner. He needs one of Perriman, Mims or Herndon to emerge as a star target. There's still upside in Darnold's profile, and at his best, he still looks like that prototypical quarterback prospect. I just don't think he's going to be able to deliver on his own.

The lack of weapons argument lives in 2020! Woohoo! 

As it should, because the Jets' OL and WRs are still something of a hodgepodge until they prove otherwise. If we're talking about Becton and Mims looking like stars early, that'll probably mean that Sam Darnold is off to a terrific start. 

4 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Why should we extract his four worst games?

How are his stats if we just extract his four best games?

We all hope he plays materially better this year, right?  Ok then.

I did the numbers somewhere else, but if you took out Darnold's best and worst game last year, his stats rose to close to the middle of the pack. I don't remember exactly, but it was a fairly significant move up. It was really only that Cheatriot game that was the outlier of the whole season. But that was a national TV game and it sticks in people's minds. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, SackExchangeNYJ said:

So what you're saying is that there is a gray area? That it is possible to say Darnold has some developing to do, that he has some work to do to develop his game, but he's still young and has potential, and has had a terrible supporting cast around him in his first two years that is starting to get a bit better?

Lol! I feel like I’ve been trying to say that for some time, now. 

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, SackExchangeNYJ said:

Well, Barnwell's piece talked about if Gase was dumped by the Jets, a new HC could be looking for his own choice at QB. So that would mean Darnold would be tossed aside at the age of 23. 

I agree that if he is bottom five, the idea of the starting job being his will no longer be guaranteed. He'd have to win the job. But I don't see the Jets dumping him after this year. At worst, they would choose not to pick up his fifth year option, and if he became a stud in his fourth year, they'd tag him and try to extend him. And honestly, that's not likely. He will quite likely be here at least two more years after 2020, whether he is starting or not.

I think so. Even if they did decide to fire Gase, I’d expect the Johnsons and Joe Douglas to want their new head coach to try to make it work with Darnold. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

I'll just quote you, because I honestly don't think anything additional is required here.

We agree.  He has to get better, of course.

Lol, fine. But his overall numbers are skewed pretty significantly by that single game. I did remember where he wound up with my little math game, right next to Brady and Rivers. Two guys on the downside, but still worth $20M+? 

Oh, and before you ask, I didn’t do the math for Brady and Rivers, but I did eyeball it. I’d guess that Brady’s numbers wouldn’t move, but that Rivers would drop a bit. Unlike Darnold, his best game was much more of an outlier than his worst. 

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company