jetstream23

Darnold hit piece on ESPN front page, "Is his talent salvageable?"

854937692_ScreenShot2020-07-03at8_39_20AM.png.14a5ff1654c8062d59710225939144d0.png

Is this Sam Darnold's last chance? A progress report on the Jets QB and what to expect in 2020

This week, I checked in with progress reports for quarterbacks from the 2018 NFL draft. Five quarterbacks were drafted in the first round that year, and I took detailed looks at Lamar Jackson (Tuesday), Josh Allen (Wednesday), Baker Mayfield (Thursday) and Sam Darnold (Friday). Sorry, Josh Rosen; I'll get to you another time.

If you were crafting a quarterback prospect from scratch, you would likely end up with something close to Sam Darnold. The New York Jets quarterback has prototypical size and arm strength. He is tough and an above-average athlete. He anticipates windows coming open and makes accurate passes to give his receivers opportunities to run after the catch. He makes the sort of unstoppable, breathtaking throws that only a few human beings on the planet can make.

Darnold just doesn't make them often enough to push the Jets toward success -- so far. Watch him play and you see brilliance interspersed with disappointment. There are stretches in which he looks like a 10-year veteran, easily spraying the ball around the field on time as he finds open receivers. There also are plays, possessions and even games in which he looks worse than your typical young quarterback. It's tough to guess what's coming next when you follow one of your best starts as a pro with arguably the worst start in Jets history.....(continued here https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29402013/is-sam-darnold-last-chance-progress-report-jets-qb-expect-2020 )

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 3

45 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

i'd lay good money that the OP didntg even read the article before posting it as a hit piece....

Booo!

I read the whole thing.  Did you read the title?  That's the definition of an attention-grabbing hit piece.  Is his talent salvageable?.... I mean really, is that even a fair question?  It's like asking whether its possible Cam Newton is the starter this year for NE?  OF COURSE its possible.  OF COURSE Darnold can possibly be salvaged.

come on please GIF

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

i'd lay good money that the OP didntg even read the article before posting it as a hit piece....

Also, when do you Venmo me?

:D

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Btw, I still have full confidence in Sam.  I just wanted to post the inflammatory headline - lol.

Beat you to it! 

Be careful, @Losmeister might accuse you of not reading it and your use of the word inflammatory. :P 

2 hours ago, Losmeister said:

if we HAD, I would absolutely pay you...   

yesterday was can Baker mayfield be fixed. is that somehow ok more than todays headline on Sam?

the whole hypersensitivity to crit of Sam is juvenile and lame. ffs, he's had 2 bad years where we're out of playoff contention by week 9.

Sam seems like a earnest, good kid and is very likeable. I like him. 

But , in the end, his footwork sucks whcih concerns me...

we though we were getting perennial top 10 type talent...    i dont think that what he will become..

i think he's as good as the talent around him...aka Andy Dalton

Fair assessment, although I partially disagree.  I don't think Sam is a passenger on the bus who can only go as far as some superior talent around him takes him.  I think he has the ability to make guys around him a little better, to create something out of nothing when plays break down, etc.  Mark Sanchez was a passenger on the bus.  Sam Darnold can be a bus driver.  I'm just hoping that with Joe D at the helm we finally have some gas in the bus.

• Upvote 3

14 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Jets fans have watched more of Darnold than some ignorant beat writer who is probably a Steelers or Cowboys fan and has watched Sam play an entire game maybe once or twice

Yup.  National writers and guys who cover other teams do not watch the full 3 hour games of every one of the 16 games played each weekend.  But, you can be sure they watch the 3 or 4 prime time games each week (Thursday Night, Sunday Night, MNF).  To that end, Sam Darnold had his single worst game as a Pro on national TV vs. the Patriots last year.  His "seeing ghosts" comment became easy ridicule.  Those writers probably haven't seen more than 3 or 4 other Darnold games, and based on how bad the Jets have been it's likely those weren't great games either.

• Upvote 2

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company