Jump to content
jetstream23

Darnold hit piece on ESPN front page, "Is his talent salvageable?"

Recommended Posts

16 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

Darnold is an MVP candidate this year

:-k

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Trolly McTrollface said:

Forget the headline of this thread, it wasn’t a “hit piece.”

i'd lay good money that the OP didntg even read the article before posting it as a hit piece....

 

  • Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, MindOverMatter said:

As always people only have 2 extreme takeaways. 1. Either Darnold is trash and a 20 yr old QB was supposed to turn this franchise around with a bunch of UPS drivers blocking for him, and since he hasn't he is garbage.

Or 2. Darnold is a top 5 QB in hiding and when all the stars align he will be Rodgers outside the pocket and Manning inside the pocket.

And as usual both takes are ridiculously stupid. Darnold set a record before either throwing a football in a regular season game, he was the youngest QB to start EVER. It's almost like that doesn't cound for anything? I get we gave up alot to draft him but TBH it was the right move. When you have a chance to draft a FQB you do it. And that is what Darnold is, a FQB. Only QB that would have thrived the past 2 seasons on the Jets would have been Wilson, Rodgers, and maybe a few others. Only because Wilson and Rodgers have had to overcome poor offensive talent and or injuries more than most QB's in the NFL. 

I can't wait for Darnold to have a fair playing field so he can shut up all you lame ass naysayers up. Bottom 3 OLine and Bottom 5 WR's and TE's, with basically no run game and what many he consider to be a sh*tty coach. But yeah you're right it's all Darnold's fault.

i know this is completely unrelated - but this was my exact point when arguing about Dak being a good QB.  everyone says "but he needs those weapons and o-line".  well no sh!t.  he can't do it by himself.  

  • Post of the Week 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Lith said:

I don't know. 

The hyperbole on both sides of the Darnold argument drive me crazy.  I am disappointed in his first two years.  Team has not been good and he has not been what I had hoped.  There are legitimate reasons for this which have been disucssed on this site for the last 10 months 

For a national writer to refer to his numbers as "horrid" is ridiculous click bait.  It is also crazy to refer to him as a sure fire 10-year franchise QB.  I am optmistic about Sam, I hope to see a big leap this season.  But I think it is okay to be a Jet fan and to recornize that the jury is still out .  And he needs to be better this season.

This is the sane view. The jury is definitely still out.

 

btw

I want to thank you for the replies the other day about the exercise machine. I haven’t gone back home yet and ordered anything, but the pop up adds I now get on this site have become fantastic.

Nothing but young female fitness models in work out gear riding equipment from companies like Nordic Track and Peloton.   👍

  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Lith said:

I don't know. 

The hyperbole on both sides of the Darnold argument drive me crazy.  I am disappointed in his first two years.  Team has not been good and he has not been what I had hoped.  There are legitimate reasons for this which have been disucssed on this site for the last 10 months 

For a national writer to refer to his numbers as "horrid" is ridiculous click bait.  It is also crazy to refer to him as a sure fire 10-year franchise QB.  I am optmistic about Sam, I hope to see a big leap this season.  But I think it is okay to be a Jet fan and to recornize that the jury is still out .  And he needs to be better this season.

the numbers ARE quite bad...   theres a lot of different ways to say that...  but they are BAD.....    

the piece isnt a HIT PIECE...  ffs...   this is the last 3 paragraphs..  my bold

My concern is that Darnold might only be as good as the people around him, and his development could depend more on players such as Becton, Mims and Perriman becoming instant contributors. Darnold can play a role in making them better, but he hasn't been able to do that with the likes of Anderson or Bell. It's also fair to question whether Gase is truly effective at developing young quarterbacks, given that all of his work as a pro before Darnold has really been with veterans, outside of serving as Tim Tebow's quarterbacks coach.

Compare that to the Browns, who went out of their way to add talent for Mayfield over the past two years. During the brief moments when they've each been at their respective zenith as pros, Darnold has looked better than Mayfield, the one quarterback who was chosen ahead of him in 2018. Given their respective supporting casts, though, Mayfield has a better chance of producing above-average efficiency in 2020 than Darnold.

For Darnold to break through in 2020, he needs something to really go his way. He needs that brutal schedule to lighten up thanks to injuries, or for Bell to have a big year as a runner. He needs one of Perriman, Mims or Herndon to emerge as a star target. There's still upside in Darnold's profile, and at his best, he still looks like that prototypical quarterback prospect. I just don't think he's going to be able to deliver on his own.

 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

image.png.38b34178fb1f2a259a7c3d4dee43748d.png

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29402013/is-sam-darnold-last-chance-progress-report-jets-qb-expect-2020

Darnold just doesn't make them often enough to push the Jets toward success -- so far. Watch him play and you see brilliance interspersed with disappointment. There are stretches in which he looks like a 10-year veteran, easily spraying the ball around the field on time as he finds open receivers. There also are plays, possessions and even games in which he looks worse than your typical young quarterback. It's tough to guess what's coming next when you follow one of your best starts as a pro with arguably the worst start in Jets history.

(Read the rest at the link)

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Btw, I still have full confidence in Sam.  I just wanted to post the inflammatory headline - lol.

  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

i'd lay good money that the OP didntg even read the article before posting it as a hit piece....

 

Booo!

I read the whole thing.  Did you read the title?  That's the definition of an attention-grabbing hit piece.  Is his talent salvageable?.... I mean really, is that even a fair question?  It's like asking whether its possible Cam Newton is the starter this year for NE?  OF COURSE its possible.  OF COURSE Darnold can possibly be salvaged.

come on please GIF

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

i'd lay good money that the OP didntg even read the article before posting it as a hit piece....

 

Also, when do you Venmo me?

:D

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Btw, I still have full confidence in Sam.  I just wanted to post the inflammatory headline - lol.

Beat you to it! 

 

Be careful, @Losmeister might accuse you of not reading it and your use of the word inflammatory. :P 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bitonti said:

bob GIF

 

there there Jets fans 

he's actually really awesome

everyone in the national media is wrong

and dumb

and a poopy pants

YOU'RE right 

just like always

In summary Sam Darnold is amazing, he's TOTALLY worth all those picks and Quenton Nelson

Drafting USC QBs is always a great idea, especially in New York City. 

It’s pathological at this point. It was crazy when people did the hear-no-evil bit on Sanchez, but at least he won four playoff games.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Also, when do you Venmo me?

:D

 

if we HAD, I would absolutely pay you...   

yesterday was can Baker mayfield be fixed. is that somehow ok more than todays headline on Sam?

the whole hypersensitivity to crit of Sam is juvenile and lame. ffs, he's had 2 bad years where we're out of playoff contention by week 9.

Sam seems like a earnest, good kid and is very likeable. I like him. 

But , in the end, his footwork sucks whcih concerns me...

we though we were getting perennial top 10 type talent...    i dont think that what he will become..

i think he's as good as the talent around him...aka Andy Dalton

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

namathbum.jpg

LOL "Numbers"

Look at this bums "numbers", let me know what you think.  Super Bowl?  You must be kidding.  Hall of Fame, not a chance.

SAR I

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

somehow i stumble on this... 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

It’s pathological at this point. It was crazy when people did the hear-no-evil bit on Sanchez, but at least he won four playoff games.

Sanchez was unintentionally entertaining too. The corn rows, the hot dogs, even the butt fumble was funnier than it was hateable. With Darnold all we've gotten is mono and that f'ng ghost quote.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

namathbum.jpg

LOL "Numbers"

Look at this bums "numbers", let me know what you think.  Super Bowl?  You must be kidding.  Hall of Fame, not a chance.

SAR I

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

These people who obsess over box scores but don't watch the games...team america vomit GIF

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm seriously close to locking the thread just for the title alone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, SAR I said:

namathbum.jpg

LOL "Numbers"

Look at this bums "numbers", let me know what you think.  Super Bowl?  You must be kidding.  Hall of Fame, not a chance.

SAR I

Those were also the days before the rules changes when qb's took a beating 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

His last chance ??? How about this will be his first chance to play in back of a decent stable of offensive lineman and a fair handful of pass catchers.  The worry is not Sam.  The worry is Gase. 

  • Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, bitonti said:

bob GIF

 

there there Jets fans 

he's actually really awesome

everyone in the national media is wrong

and dumb

and a poopy pants

YOU'RE right 

just like always

In summary Sam Darnold is amazing, he's TOTALLY worth all those picks and Quenton Nelson

Drafting USC QBs is always a great idea, especially in New York City. 

Trolly McTroll 2.0.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/every_throw_graded_ultimate_scouting_report_of_jets_sam_darnold/s1_13132_31475993

here's the CODA

f the Jets improve the pieces around him, Darnold is capable of becoming a top-15 quarterback. When his line plays well. he'll play well. When Darnold has taken a pressure rate of below 34 percent (about league average), he is 7-1 with a 108.3 passer rating and the Jets average 29 points.

Keep in mind Darnold's age -- he'll only be 23 when he begins his third season. Still, Darnold must demonstrate progress in 2020. Three straight mediocre seasons -- regardless of his age or quality of support –- will not give New York much hope. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Take away ONE game, the largest statistical outlier in NFL history, and he is a “top 10 QB”... playing with mono, a disease that normally affects people for months, behind the worst OL in the NFL, without his #1 WR and #1 TE...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

reason 4288 not to watch or read anything put out by espn.  they are terrible.  at the end of the day, the only thing that matters is wins and losses.  and, imo, no qb would have been able to get more wins out of the jets past two season cast of characters.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

fwiw, 

the article does substantive work on whether Gase is worth a ****...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, nico002 said:

the largest statistical outlier in NFL history,

you rea;lize that what you are saying is that Sam Darnld played one of the worst games for any QB who has ever played, right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

you rea;lize that what you are saying is that Sam Darnld played one of the worst games for any QB who has ever played, right?

Yes, I do. And he will also never come close to repeating that performance. It’s the equivalent of calling a DE who had a 12 sack game and ended with 16 a great pass rusher. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Sanchez was unintentionally entertaining too. The corn rows, the hot dogs, even the butt fumble was funnier than it was hateable. With Darnold all we've gotten is mono and that f'ng ghost quote.

Good point. Sanchez had an engaging personality and an ability to laugh at himself which made him very likeable.

Sam seems beyond boring. A lot of guys here might see that and turn it into him being an all business type of guy. That might be true, I don’t know.

It seems to me that he isnt the type to exude any signs of vocal leadership either in the press, the locker room, or on the field. Maybe he has done/does do that, but it’s certainly not something that jumps out at you.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Trolly McTrollface said:

Good point. Sanchez had an engaging personality and an ability to laugh at himself which made him very likeable.

Sam seems beyond boring. A lot of guys here might see that and turn it into him being an all business type of guy. That might be true, I don’t know.

It seems to me that he isnt the type to exude any signs of vocal leadership either in the press, the locker room, or on the field. Maybe he has/does do that, but it’s certainly not something that jumps out at you.

He just doesn’t strike me as a guy players would rally around, or even particularly want to hang with. That story about him and the steak knives he bought for the OL always bothered me a lot. It went beyond a team prank level, I thought.

I can’t imagine teammates taking and slashing the tires off a truck, and placing it on blocks in the parking lot for everyone to see, being the thing you do to a team leader.

The phrase that always stops me dead in my tracks when reading posts "It seems to me he isn't the type".

  • Post of the Week 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

The phrase that always stops me dead in my tracks when reading posts "It seems to me he isn't the type".

Funny, it always seemed to me you weren’t that type...

😜

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Losmeister said:

if we HAD, I would absolutely pay you...   

yesterday was can Baker mayfield be fixed. is that somehow ok more than todays headline on Sam?

the whole hypersensitivity to crit of Sam is juvenile and lame. ffs, he's had 2 bad years where we're out of playoff contention by week 9.

Sam seems like a earnest, good kid and is very likeable. I like him. 

But , in the end, his footwork sucks whcih concerns me...

we though we were getting perennial top 10 type talent...    i dont think that what he will become..

i think he's as good as the talent around him...aka Andy Dalton

 

Fair assessment, although I partially disagree.  I don't think Sam is a passenger on the bus who can only go as far as some superior talent around him takes him.  I think he has the ability to make guys around him a little better, to create something out of nothing when plays break down, etc.  Mark Sanchez was a passenger on the bus.  Sam Darnold can be a bus driver.  I'm just hoping that with Joe D at the helm we finally have some gas in the bus.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company
×
×
  • Create New...