Darnold hit piece on ESPN front page, "Is his talent salvageable?"

50 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

just so I am sure...

only Jets fans doubt Sam Darnold?

I wouldn't put much stock in anything non-Jets fans have to say about the individual players (whether positive or negative).  The team hasn't made the postseason in a decade and thus has had precious few nationally televised games for a long time.  And how many NFL ticket owners are ever bothering to turn on a Jets game?

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I wouldn't put much stock in anything non-Jets fans have to say about the individual players (whether positive or negative).  The team hasn't made the postseason in a decade and thus has had precious few nationally televised games for a long time.  And how many NFL ticket owners are ever bothering to turn on a Jets game?

only Jet fans are qualified to analyze our own players...??

unless they are applauding Sam Darnold? 

• WTF? 1

4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

This reeks of 2013 offseason when the people knew everything said the jets were going 0-16

Just now, Losmeister said:

Jets fans have watched more of Darnold than some ignorant beat writer who is probably a Steelers or Cowboys fan and has watched Sam play an entire game maybe once or twice

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

unless they are applauding Sam Darnold? 

If you're not watching the players play, then you're not equipped to analyze those players.  So that is correct.  AFC East fans would  be the only ones that are in that "in group" who can make a decent analysis of Jets players.

I'll listen to qualified, intelligent analysts who are paid to watch games.  But other teams' fans, who only see the Jets maybe one time every 2 years or so (and even less if they're NFC fans)?  Nah.  Once the Jets start getting more nationally televised games, then those opinions will be more valid.

And I'm also speaking about the fans of other teams who give huge praise to Jamal Adams despite rarely seeing him play.  Not just Sam Darnold.

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

If you're not watching the players play, then you're not equipped to analyze those players.  So that is correct.  AFC East fans would  be the only ones that are in that "in group" who can make a decent analysis of Jets players.

I'll listen to qualified, intelligent analysts who are paid to watch games.  But other teams' fans, who only see the Jets maybe one time every 2 years or so (and even less if they're NFC fans)?  Nah.  Once the Jets start getting more nationally televised games, then those opinions will be more valid.

And I'm also speaking about the fans of other teams who give huge praise to Jamal Adams despite rarely seeing him play.  Not just Sam Darnold.

Not only that but Sam’s stats aren’t as bad as the media meltdown over him is trying to say it is

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Jets fans have watched more of Darnold than some ignorant beat writer who is probably a Steelers or Cowboys fan and has watched Sam play an entire game maybe once or twice

Yup.  National writers and guys who cover other teams do not watch the full 3 hour games of every one of the 16 games played each weekend.  But, you can be sure they watch the 3 or 4 prime time games each week (Thursday Night, Sunday Night, MNF).  To that end, Sam Darnold had his single worst game as a Pro on national TV vs. the Patriots last year.  His "seeing ghosts" comment became easy ridicule.  Those writers probably haven't seen more than 3 or 4 other Darnold games, and based on how bad the Jets have been it's likely those weren't great games either.

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Not only that but Sam’s stats aren’t as bad as the media meltdown over him is trying to say it is

Out side of NY, when NFL fans are asked what they think about Sam Darnold the first two things they say are

1. Mono

2. Ghosts

On 7/3/2020 at 12:56 PM, Trolly McTrollface said:

Forget the headline of this thread, it wasn’t a “hit piece.”

This piece was nothing more than Barnwell’s evaluation of Darnold. He’s done the same with other QBs, it’s not like he’s out to get Sam here.

He talked about weakness in his game we all know are there.

He talked about the poor OL play, and lack of skill players to help him.

He talked about how Gase really could’ve helped him more.

As far as evaluations go, I thought it was very fair. He brought up areas where Sam hasn’t been good, gave him blame where he deserved it, gave reasons for why he wasn’t always the culprit, and talked about the possibility of Darnold overcoming those issues and allowed for him succeeding in the NFL.

Well isn't that nice of you to say. Lets get off the fence here, you have put Darnold down every change you can here, every thread. At the same time being a big Jamal supporter. I have never seen more of a Troll (Trolly) in any forum.

giphy.gif

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

54 minutes ago, Eaton Beaver said:

Well isn't that nice of you to say. Lets get off the fence here, you have put Darnold down every change you can here, every thread. At the same time being a big Jamal supporter. I have never seen more of a Troll (Trolly) in any forum.

giphy.gif

Classy as always, aren’t you?

Yeah I like Jamal. 

What can I say, I like good players on my team.

btw I like Gase too.

• Thumb Down 1

On 7/3/2020 at 12:25 PM, MindOverMatter said:

As always people only have 2 extreme takeaways. 1. Either Darnold is trash and a 20 yr old QB was supposed to turn this franchise around with a bunch of UPS drivers blocking for him, and since he hasn't he is garbage.

Or 2. Darnold is a top 5 QB in hiding and when all the stars align he will be Rodgers outside the pocket and Manning inside the pocket.

And as usual both takes are ridiculously stupid. Darnold set a record before either throwing a football in a regular season game, he was the youngest QB to start EVER. It's almost like that doesn't cound for anything? I get we gave up alot to draft him but TBH it was the right move. When you have a chance to draft a FQB you do it. And that is what Darnold is, a FQB. Only QB that would have thrived the past 2 seasons on the Jets would have been Wilson, Rodgers, and maybe a few others. Only because Wilson and Rodgers have had to overcome poor offensive talent and or injuries more than most QB's in the NFL. 

I can't wait for Darnold to have a fair playing field so he can shut up all you lame ass naysayers up. Bottom 3 OLine and Bottom 5 WR's and TE's, with basically no run game and what many he consider to be a sh*tty coach. But yeah you're right it's all Darnold's fault.

Why is it always ups drivers?  Nobody ever says FedEx drivers

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Trolly McTrollface said:

Classy as always, aren’t you?

Yeah I like Jamal. 

What can I say, I like good players on my team.

btw I like Gase too.

If you think, Adams is classy in any way then you are 100 percent wrong..sorry... if you think he would be a good addition to this team with a  new contract..you are absolutely wrong ..as far as the contract that he wants it is too high...hopefully we can get some compensation that is acceptable.....I trust JD.

• Thumb Down 1

14 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Yup.  National writers and guys who cover other teams do not watch the full 3 hour games of every one of the 16 games played each weekend.  But, you can be sure they watch the 3 or 4 prime time games each week (Thursday Night, Sunday Night, MNF).  To that end, Sam Darnold had his single worst game as a Pro on national TV vs. the Patriots last year.  His "seeing ghosts" comment became easy ridicule.  Those writers probably haven't seen more than 3 or 4 other Darnold games, and based on how bad the Jets have been it's likely those weren't great games either.

It’s embarrassing watching reporters and commentators expose themselves as blatant hacks by acting like Sam is worse than Akili Smith so far in the NFL.  

Not only do the stats not indicate it if these ignorant clowns even just watched 10 minutes of tape on YouTube they would no so far he has played fairly well

11 hours ago, Eaton Beaver said:

If you think, Adams is classy in any way then you are 100 percent wrong..sorry... if you think he would be a good addition to this team with a  new contract..you are absolutely wrong ..as far as the contract that he wants it is too high...hopefully we can get some compensation that is acceptable.....I trust JD.

This guy is on a crazy agenda because some posters here now are making fun of the sucky midget

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Philc1 said:

This guy is on a crazy agenda because some posters here now are making fun of the sucky midget

Agenda? I’m positive about almost everything Jets related. I like Gase, Adams and Bell. Even QW. I’m a fan of GW and our defense.

What I don’t do is buy into the hype with Darnold. I don’t think he’s going to be a bust, but I see nothing elite about him, and I say it.. 

The midget stuff you throw back at me? I love it. All’s fair. If I’m going to dish it out, I have to take it.

If other people get upset with it, that’s on them, not me. I can’t help a grown man who can’t deal with another person for not seeing what he sees in a particular player

On 7/6/2020 at 8:14 PM, Trolly McTrollface said:

Out side of NY, when NFL fans are asked what they think about Sam Darnold the first two things they say are

1. Mono

2. Ghosts

1. Shades of Fran Tarkenton while costing us Nick Bosa. Outplayed Josh Allen.

2. Beating the Cowboys in first game back after a serious health scare. Outplayed Dak. 

• Upvote 1

look at the Jets stats/record with and without Darnold last year.  He is the definition of a difference maker.  Not even considering that he played the first game of the season with mono and coming back from mono is physically tough and not the type of thing where you flip a switch and it is gone.

• Upvote 1

I don't think this article is off base or negative.

It's a fair look at Sam. He hasn't played to the hype level and definitely not at a consistent level.

Let's hope we see more a lot more from him the next time we see him

Man the people who hate Sam act as if the NE game is the only game he played and place MUCH bigger value on that performance than all others. It's annoying.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

On 7/3/2020 at 11:55 AM, Savage69 said:

John Elway never completed 60% of his passes till his 10th year and in his first 3 years he had 47 tds and 52 picks.. Not everyone starts out like Marino..

Totally different era. If you look at John Elway’s stats and compare them to guys today you’d wonder how he even got consideration for the hall. 

I heard Steve Young mention once in an interview that he could probably step in today and rack up some yards as there are so many easy completions for QBs in today’s game.

To that point back then most QBs didn’t start as rookies and had a much a longer leash to develop. Barnwells point is that in today’s NFL if a QB doesn’t show he’s an upper echelon player after three seasons teams will generally move on. Darnolds rookie contract window is over after the 2021 season. If the Jets finish with a top 5 pick and Darnold is still having moments where he looks lost it’s reasonable to think the Jets should draft another guy and restart the clock on the rookie QB contract window. 

On 7/3/2020 at 11:55 AM, Savage69 said:

John Elway never completed 60% of his passes till his 10th year and in his first 3 years he had 47 tds and 52 picks.. Not everyone starts out like Marino..

Totally different era. If you look at John Elway’s stats and compare them to guys today you’d wonder how he even got consideration for the hall. 

I heard Steve Young mention once in an interview that he could probably step in today and rack up some yards as there are so many easy completions for QBs in today’s game.

To that point back then most QBs didn’t start as rookies and had a much a longer leash to develop. Barnwells point is that in today’s NFL if a QB doesn’t show he’s an upper echelon player after three seasons teams will generally move on. Darnolds rookie contract window is over after the 2021 season. If the Jets finish with a top 5 pick and Darnold is still having moments where he looks lost it’s reasonable to think the Jets should draft another guy and restart the clock on the rookie QB contract window. 

17 hours ago, Losmeister said:

Interesting list.  Especially when you consider that people think that you need to have the top overall pick and can never get a decent QB any other way.  There are only 3 guys on that list that were not available to the Jets in the draft.  Rodgers, Wentz and Stafford. 

Brees and Brady both were available to us in the draft and as free agents.  The rest were sitting there when we picked.  Hell, Rodgers went 24th overall.  I'm pretty sure we could have moved up from 26th and taken him if we didn't somehow become enamored with the idea of Doug Jolley and a kicker.  In fact, the Raiders took our pick, packaged it with a 5th and moved up ahead of the Packers.  They took 4.29 CB Fabian Washington.  I guess they were set on offense having made the big deal for Moss with Kerry Collins and 40 year old Rich Gannon at QB.

On 7/6/2020 at 8:53 PM, Eaton Beaver said:

giphy.gif

Jamal is a pro bowl, all pro player.

You do realize that, right?  Hes a really good player so from that standpoint why shouldnt he like him

And its lame to up vote your own posts.  No one cares

On 7/8/2020 at 11:08 AM, GKnight83 said:

It should be noted that John Elway and Peyton Manning are the biggest choke artists of all time too!

Peyton Manning threw as many picks his rookie year as Sam threw his first 2 seasons combined 

Thank God he was “salvaged”

On 7/8/2020 at 3:55 PM, Losmeister said:

No Baker, no Josh Allen, no Rosen

Lamar Jackson has been tremendous but he plays on a great team with the NFL’s best head coach. 

and how the F is Stafford in the top 10????  Did 50 Max Kellermans vote?

Absolutely!  Look at his work this offseason.  He has saved his technique that was getting ruined by horrendous OL play.  With even just an AVERAGE offensive line, Darnold will be amazing.  I wrote a piece on this very topic yesterday, about how Darnold is the most unfairly disrespected QB in the entire NFL. https://sidelinesports.report/2020/07/10/sam-darnold-is-the-most-underrated-and-disrespected-qb-in-the-nfl/

• Post of the Week 1

19 minutes ago, Dylan Ciorra said:

Absolutely!  Look at his work this offseason.  He has saved his technique that was getting ruined by horrendous OL play.  With even just an AVERAGE offensive line, Darnold will be amazing.  I wrote a piece on this very topic yesterday, about how Darnold is the most unfairly disrespected QB in the entire NFL. https://sidelinesports.report/2020/07/10/sam-darnold-is-the-most-underrated-and-disrespected-qb-in-the-nfl/

Sam def has a wide range on how his 2020 season will look

---

would be interested on more details about the "qb pressured rate" info  ... how valid these #'s are ... what league average is ... where other qb's fall on that spectrum ... seeing it broken down by week ... etc

---

a big fan of the Connor McGovern signing

how the reset of the OL comes together though is a work in progress and very up in the air ... particularly at the OT spots ... hope the unknowns turn out in our favor

---

Mim's is also an unknown who we hope comes through ... as is the whole WR group

---

a lot of variables still in  play regarding how the rest of the O will perform around Sam ... and what ability he will have to elevate/lead them

please let these turn out in our favor

• Upvote 1