The NFL and MLB - Your vote on whether they start and finish their seasons as currently planned.

Will the the NFL and MLB start and finish their seasons as currently planned?  

54 members have voted

1. 1. NFL - What percentage chance do you give the NFL of starting on time?

• 0% chance. They won't start the season as scheduled (or at all)
    • 25% chance
    • 50% chance
    • 75% chance
    • 100% chance. They will definitely start the season as scheduled.
  2. 2. NFL - What percentage chance do you give the NFL of completing its season as scheduled?

• 0% chance. They won't finish the season as scheduled (or at all).
    • 25% chance
    • 50% chance
    • 75% chance
    • 100% chance. They will definitely finish the season as scheduled.
  3. 3. MLB - What percentage chance do you give the Baseball season of starting as planned?

• 0% chance. They won't start the season as scheduled (or at all)
    • 25% chance
    • 50% chance
    • 75% chance
    • 100% chance. They will definitely start the season as scheduled.
  4. 4. MLB - What percentage chance do you give Baseball of completing its season as scheduled?

• 0% chance. They won't finish the season as scheduled (or at all).
    • 25% chance
    • 50% chance
    • 75% chance
    • 100% chance. They will definitely finish the season as scheduled.

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

The date is October 18th, 2020. Roger Goodell steps up to the podium, places several index cards in front of him, looks into the camera and says, glumly, “Andy Reid meant a lot to the NFL family and we are all going to miss him.”

Yup.

The second there are signs of a second wave, the whole thing is going kaput.

• Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

With individual sports like tennis and golf having players affected it's almost inconceivable that sports involving teams of 25 -53 players + coaches and staffs will be able to get through a season.  As a country, we haven't been able to resolve things on a month to month basis with lockdowns, reopenings, etc. How on earth is a league going to string together 4 months of continuous play?  Even a limited spread of infection amongst something like 7 or 8 guys could doom a team.  Imagine a team's whole linebacking corps getting sick and missing 2-4 weeks.

I'm hopeful but very pessimistic about the chances of everything working out as planned.

I’m with you, with the recent upticks in cases in the south and out west, I don’t see how these seasons will not be severely altered.   Players, coaches and staff WILL contract the virus, it’s just at what point is too much and how many is too many?   You can’t lock these guys in bubbles, it’s not realistic, I’m just very curious as to how many have to be infected before they abandon the season.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

13 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

I’m with you, with the recent upticks in cases in the south and out west, I don’t see how these seasons will not be severely altered.   Players, coaches and staff WILL contract the virus, it’s just at what point is too much and how many is too many?   You can’t lock these guys in bubbles, it’s not realistic, I’m just very curious as to how many have to be infected before they abandon the season.  

Agreed.  Was just saying to friend this AM that I will believe that there will be baseball played this month when the first games are acutally played.  I will believe they will get through a full 60 game season when game 60 is played.  I feel the same way fo the NFL, I will believe the games will be played only when I actuallly see them.

• Upvote 1

let's start a new league. cats in quasi-cooperative teams (bc they're cats) of 5 in a giant obstacle course hunting rabbits and birds. obviously, the rabbits will have rocket launchers and the birds, talons, and the course will be booby trapped like Indiana jones.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, CTM said:

Having a hard time caring tbh, play dont play, whatevs 

34 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Cancel sports. It’s over. The fallout is going to be glorious. 

Are either of you guys surprised at how little you care if they ever play again? I know I’m personally surprised that it doesn’t matter to me one bit if they take the field. I’ve just found other stuff to do that’s better.

• Upvote 3

14 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Are either of you guys surprised at how little you care if they ever play again? I know I’m personally surprised that it doesn’t matter to me one bit if they take the field. I’ve just found other stuff to do that’s better.

Mike Trout has to feed his family

• Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I’ll be honest, unlike you, I haven’t really found things I enjoy more than I did watching sports at night. Its not like I’ve been going to restaurants, bars, movies or shows. I haven’t picked up any new hobbies, or started reading more.

Like most of you I’ve been sheltering at night. If you asked me 6 months ago, I couldn’t even imagine living like that, and not having sports to watch.

Surprisingly though, I really don’t miss it. As much as I love to golf, I don’t even watch that on tv, and they’ve been playing about a month now.

• Upvote 2

50 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

With all the BS that is part of sports now and the attitudes of the players, I honestly don’t care if any sport is ever played again. Athletes, musicians and actors have become some of the least likable people on the planet behind reporters and politicians.  

Serious question: is this just because of Jamal or are there other athletes you’re annoyed with! I ask because there have been sports douches forever.

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

Serious question: is this just because of Jamal or are there other athletes you’re annoyed with! I ask because there have been sports douches forever.

Athletes have cornered the media into promoting not playing and getting paid type of leverage. 

29 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Unfortunately social media and mental programming from a very young age has produced massive douche bags. Like Rosie O’Donnell size douche bags. 

• Upvote 4

17 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

Unfortunately social media and mental programming from a very young age has produced massive douche bags. Like Rosie O’Donnell size douche bags. 

The goose is cooked. Fans wont come back. 

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Athletes have cornered the media into promoting not playing and getting paid type of leverage. 

Listening to Schefter and Buster Olney, it sounds an awful lot like the media doesn’t want to get on team planes with a pack of Ezekiel Elliots and that’s inflecting their perspective

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

The goose is cooked. Fans wont come back. 

I agree Matt...to Toms point I’m shocked how little I miss sports , when it comes back I feel like they are in for a rude awakening. The gamblers will be there but the real fans are gone . 

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I havent been a diehard sports fan for awhile now but I'm definitly surprised as to the depth of my apathy about professional sports or really many of the things I used to care about. 

Some of that is finding new things, I have a much greater appreciation for the outdoors than I had 3 months ago, for instance.  However I wouldnt be being completely honest if I omitted the fact that the stress of the uncertainly of all of this doesnt have me preoccupied with more important issues and at times feeling discouraged.  

Our #1 trait as a species is adaptation, but it doesn't mean change isnt stressful. 

• Upvote 4

14 hours ago, CTM said:

I havent been a diehard sports fan for awhile now but I'm definitly surprised as to the depth of my apathy about professional sports or really many of the things I used to care about. 

Some of that is finding new things, I have a much greater appreciation for the outdoors than I had 3 months ago, for instance.  However I wouldnt be being completely honest if I omitted the fact that the stress of the uncertainly of all of this doesnt have me preoccupied with more important issues and at times feeling discouraged.  

Our #1 trait as a species is adaptation, but it doesn't mean change isnt stressful. 

100% Getting tough to see the light at the end of the tunnel. 

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Jolot said:

They’re going to come for the Yankees . Watch . 

Eh. I’m sure someone will say something and it’ll get a lot of play in the media, but it’ll be such an insignificant fringe like the dopes who want to tear down Lincoln statues that, in reality, it will get rightfully hand-waved.  

I think the MLB will attempt to start as normal. I don't think they'll finish the season as scheduled and the NFL will take cues from them(and the NHL/NBA).

NFL will cancel preseason, then push the season start back, then postpone altogether until spring 2021. Everyone's trying to kick the can down the road until there's an effective theraputic/vaccine.