If no preseason games, do you start Becton?

Risky move to have a guy start at LT with no NFL game experience.  Do you start Fant and let Becton work his way in or do you roll the dice with Becton at LT from day 1?

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Risky move to have a guy start at LT with no NFL game experience.  Do you start Fant and let Becton work his way in or do you roll the dice with Becton at LT from day 1?

Who said there would be no preseason games? We learned this week they are going to have two of them.

The reasoning was that coaches felt teams would be better served getting more practice time. I’ll assume they will try to have some scrimmages with other teams also.

With all due respect, the whole premise of this thread seems a little goofy. You’re really pushing the envelope here asking a question that has no reason to be asked.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Trolly McTrollface said:

Who said there would be no preseason games? We learned this week they are going to have two of them.

The reasoning was that coaches felt teams would be better served getting more practice time. I’ll assume they will try to have some scrimmages with other teams also.

With all due respect, the whole premise of this thread seems a little goofy. You’re really pushing the envelope here asking a question that has no reason to be asked.

The NFLPA is recommending no preseason. They haven't signed onto the two game plan yet. 

As for Becton, I've been advocating starting him at RT from the get go. 

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, AFJF said:

You start Becton. Sam's blindside is the most important position on offense. If he's getting hit every other play, we lose, and we lose our QB. Fant RT or bench.

9 minutes ago, slats said:

The NFLPA is recommending no preseason. They haven't signed onto the two game plan yet. 

And Fant is a qualified blindside based on what? Sam needs the best blocker on his blindside and I doubt its a converted tight end that could hardly start in Seattle. 

18 minutes ago, slats said:

I know you have, and I understand your reasoning, however I’d prefer they put him out there right away at LT. Put Fant on the right side, if for no other reason than that’s the end game anyway, and why put it off?

Lets face it, Fant isn’t exactly pro bowl caliber at the LT position, and we can afford to let Becton go through some inevitable rookie bumps in the road.

If the coaches see in camp that Becton looks overwhelmed to the point where they feel RT is the place for him, Okay, but people are going to be concerned that we took the wrong guy. I really don’t want to hear the Cee Dee Lamb guys complaining from the get go this year.

24 minutes ago, Trolly McTrollface said:

Players have said they'd like no pre-season.

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, AFJF said:

We should rename the thread: thank you Joe Douglas for getting Fant. Hell no you dont start him at LT except if he blows the coaches away in practice. Maybe RT if he looks capable in  scrimmages.

Just now, ljr said:

If Beachum is still on the team then he'd probably start week 1 at LT

since Fant is also an unknown I think it 100% depends on whatever they show in practice ... tie goes to Becton

Is Beachum still available or did he sign somewhere?

I had always thought the plan at LT should be to try to bring back Beachum on a 1 year deal while drafting a rookie like Becton, Thomas, etc.  It would be like the Josh McCown to Sam Darnold transition.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Is Beachum still available or did he sign somewhere?

I had always thought the plan at LT should be to try to bring back Beachum on a 1 year deal while drafting a rookie like Becton, Thomas, etc.  It would be like the Josh McCown to Sam Darnold transition.

good question

he appears to still be an UFA

https://www.nfl.com/players/kelvin-beachum/

I definitely have him as an option on the table i'm considering if there is no preseason.

what do we see out the youngsters in practice?  what numbers would we need to pay beachum to come in before the season?  what shape is he in now?  is it worth waiting until after week 1 and then if necessary bring him in without needing to be locked into a full season contract (if i remember terms of signing FA's correctly) ?

all of those should be considered in the decision

18 hours ago, slats said:

Well good  bye undrafted Fa , as the chances of making the roster just became a lot smaller.

Of there's no preseason games, then the decision if he starts should be made by the CS. However, do NOT play Becton just because he's a 1st rounder. ONLY start Becton if he's earned the opportunity via hard work.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, TNJet said:

And Fant is a qualified blindside based on what? Sam needs the best blocker on his blindside and I doubt its a converted tight end that could hardly start in Seattle. 

It was reported that Fant played better at LT in Seattle than he did at RT.  Not to imply he was good or anything.  But it seemed that he was preferred there at LT?  Not sure

17 hours ago, Trolly McTrollface said:

Jet fans: Yay we got Bechton! In JD we trust!

Also Jet fans: We’re not actually going to play him are we? We have Beachum...

Hey.  Trolface:    Of course you ignore this once-in-a-lifetime pandemic which will cancel most of training camp (certainly physical contact) and the entire pre season.   But go ahead and ride on Jets fans just because you saw a little opening.

You really are a Troll.  Capital T intentional.  Thanks @slats for the name change.  You were right.

more proof: Any real Jets fan can spell Mekhi Becton correctly.   

Hello?  Hello?  Anybody home?  Think McTroll...Think.... 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

19 hours ago, AFJF said:

Didnt they just announce 2 preseason games a couple of days ago?

EDIT:  One post below 

18 hours ago, slats said:

Thanks, missed that.  

28 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Hey.  Trolface:    Of course you ignore this once-in-a-lifetime pandemic which will cancel most of training camp (certainly physical contact) and the entire pre season.   But go ahead and ride on Jets fans just because you saw a little opening.

You really are a Troll.  Capital T intentional.  Thanks @slats for the name change.  You were right.

more proof: Any real Jets fan can spell Mekhi Becton correctly.   

Hello?  Hello?  Anybody home?  Think McTroll...Think.... 

A lot of words there, but unfortunately all they’ll amount to if we have a season this year is I’m right, and you’re wrong.

Becton (feel better now?) will be a starter. End of story.

Teams don’t sit the rookie they take at #9 in the draft. Especially if he plays Tackle on a team with an OL as bad as this one.

19 hours ago, AFJF said:

I guess practice is what will determine his starting position. Probably will start his rookie year at RT though a safe bet he will be at LT at some point.

17 minutes ago, Trolly McTrollface said:

Teams don’t sit the rookie they take at #9 in the draft. Especially if he plays Tackle on a team with an OL as bad as this one.

Point is the same though and I agree, hes starting 

• Upvote 1

I've seen a few "evaluate him in practice" replies.  Having to play the 49ers in week 2, which Jets defender best prepares Becton for his battle with Bosa during practice?

On 7/3/2020 at 4:30 PM, ljr said:

If Beachum is still on the team then he'd probably start week 1 at LT

since Fant is also an unknown I think it 100% depends on whatever each of them shows in practice ... tie goes to Becton

Fant is not an unknown he’s a an OK right tackle.  That’s what he is

Becton should start at LT

6 hours ago, AFJF said:

I've seen a few "evaluate him in practice" replies.  Having to play the 49ers in week 2, which Jets defender best prepares Becton for his battle with Bosa during practice?

Bosa usually lines up at LDE so Fant will actually be seeing him more