NFLPA discussing player opt out for this year.

16 minutes ago, Gibby said:

Yeah. I think you’re right.

In all honesty I think the players are also right in wanting to scrap PS games all together. Limit travel and interaction as much as possible.

4 weeks or so of team practices, then start a season if the situation changes come September.

• Upvote 2

Who would have thunk the XFL would play more games than the NFL in 2020.

I was never too optimistic about this season happening.  Well at least JD gets another draft and offseason to shore up the WR's and CB's.

• Upvote 1

Both of those things point to the season happening... not the other way around 

they are recommending the pre season get canceled, not the season 

they are also working on a way that players who don’t feel comfortable playing don’t have to play (they also won’t get paid, just like the NBA), you don’t create this policy of the season isn’t happening 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, nico002 said:

they are also working on a way that players who don’t feel comfortable playing don’t have to play (they also won’t get paid, just like the NBA), you don’t create this policy of the season isn’t happening 

Could care less about pre season... Hope you’re right... I’m concerned things will be worse not better in September given the state of things in other parts of the Country at the moment.

1 minute ago, Gibby said:

I was feeling pretty good about things until last week. Not a political statement here... But if states in the South handled things like NY & NJ.... we wouldn’t be heading backwards now.

Meh... California?

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Trolly McTrollface said:

Meh... California?

I guess...... My perspective has personally been a little different- because I never stopped working. I’m in construction.. That’s not to say we didn’t take it seriously.. It’s been extremely difficult with all the new regulations. I’m still just hoping  we can move forward already. I really wish they would stop canceling things.. I would much prefer that continue to work by all the protocols and the rest of the world come back.. If people respect the “ new normal” - for now at least and be safe.... There’s plenty we can still do.

• Upvote 3

Agree that the season will go on, but I hope Jamaal doesn’t get a year of service if he doesn’t play. 
As far as the increase in COVID cases around the US, I agree that the # of cases is less important than the number of hospitalizations and deaths. Just like the flu, protect the elderly and those with underlying medical conditions while allowing the 98% of Americans get back to life with precautions in place. You can’t selectively put an industry or small business on lockdown out of fear of catching COVID. Let the consumer & individual decide. 

• Upvote 1

I think the NFL shortened the preseason in hopes that they get thru the two weeks between the preseason and the regular season without anything looking like an outbreak and then plow forward. I don't know if that's the result they'd get or not. I do think the league will not want to cancel the preseason mostly because they don't want to experiment while also starting to pay the players. If there's a outbreak after one or two weeks of preseason ball, they could move to postpone (read: potentially cancel) the regular season before writing any pay checks. 

• Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, slats said:

I think the NFL shortened the preseason in hopes that they get thru the two weeks between the preseason and the regular season without anything looking like an outbreak and then plow forward. I don't know if that's the result they'd get or not. I do think the league will not want to cancel the preseason mostly because they don't want to experiment while also starting to pay the players. If there's a outbreak after one or two weeks of preseason ball, they could move to postpone (read: potentially cancel) the regular season before writing any pay checks. 

While good in theory, using the Jets as an example we lost Week 1 and 4 of the preseason which are our games requiring no hotel stay-  Giants and at Eagles.  We're home for the Steelers and at the Lions.  The NFL should have reconsidered re-sorting the preseason schedule for these types of in/out games where its just a shower and back on the bus.

SAR I

15 hours ago, nico002 said:

yeah, you do.  It's a safety net precursor to more draconian decisions that may very well be coming as the summer progresses. 

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

While good in theory, using the Jets as an example we lost Week 1 and 4 of the preseason which are our games requiring no hotel stay-  Giants and at Eagles.  We're home for the Steelers and at the Lions.  The NFL should have reconsidered re-sorting the preseason schedule for these types of in/out games where its just a shower and back on the bus.

SAR I

I agree.  Also with the 2nd preseason game at Philadelphia, I wouldn't even let the players who are not going to play make the trip. 

• Upvote 2

Why not make the whole season something like MadMax/Thunderdome ?

Every team gets a 3 game schedule.  One game against each Division opponent.  At the end the 3-0 teams get Byes, The 2-1 teams host the 1-2 teams in a 1st Round playoff.  The 0-3 teams never play another game.  It's single elimination after that.  The math may not work perfectly and we could get odd numbers of teams, but we could even out the teams using tiebreakers like point differential, etc.

Shorter season and It would be the most intense season ever, every game super critical.  Essentially an NCAA style tournament after you get through those first three games.  And, the intensity of those first 3 Division games would be great.  A 1-1 Jets team playing an 0-2 NE team with the chance to eliminate them....sign me up! :P

• WTF? 1
  • Post of the Week 1

16 hours ago, Jetsbb said:

The opt out is an easy way for Jamal Adams to hold out without getting fined and loosing a year of FA eligibility

I was just going to post this: this is a perfect loophole for Jamal, or any player, to hold out without penalty

16 hours ago, Gibby said:

I guess...... My perspective has personally been a little different- because I never stopped working. I’m in construction.. That’s not to say we didn’t take it seriously.. It’s been extremely difficult with all the new regulations. I’m still just hoping  we can move forward already. I really wish they would stop canceling things.. I would much prefer that continue to work by all the protocols and the rest of the world come back.. If people respect the “ new normal” - for now at least and be safe.... There’s plenty we can still do.

Shut it all down for a month and subsidize the sh*t out of everything, or do this slow-burn nonsense with no fans/half fans/player opt outs/eating outside but not inside/end bars/NBA bubbles/ golf!/kill all the olds/ whatev forever, and get laughed at by the rest of the Earth outside of Brazil. What a ******* disgrace. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, flgreen said:

NJ population 8.8M  15,164 dead

NY population 19.45M  31,836 dead

Fl population 21.4M  3,683 dead

Yep if only the South had done what the NY and NJ did.

The death rates in the Northeast are the worst in the world, by far.  

New York and NY did a great job in reducing the infection, but they allowed it to spread too far in the early stage.  The infection of the elderly was particularly bad.  Florida actually avoided that. 

The South closed down when the Northeast closed down, but there was not really that much infection there yet.  As we know, here in America, you can only stay closed for too long.  The right answer, unfortunately, was to allow every state to get a base level of infection, have it infect the most vulnerable while you shut down, and then muddle along a minor form of herd immunity.   That is basically what they did in the Europe that everyone thinks is so great.

Here in the US as a whole, our deaths/1mm are more than half of what they are in the European countries.   I predict that the NY area does not see the severe spike that it saw before, but that the virus continue to linger in a pesky way.  The vulnerable areas of the South and West will see infection and drive the death rate up, but we in the US will never see the rate in the UK, Spain or Italy.  

The vulnerable who have to work are just in a terrible position.  But if I were in charge, I would shutdown bars, nightclubs, theatres and gatherings to reduce the infections there and focus on betting people back to work and in school.  For now.  

• Post of the Week 1

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I was just going to post this: this is a perfect loophole for Jamal, or any player, to hold out without penalty

The impact of an opt out has to be that the player doesn’t get a year of service or get paid. It’s hitting the pause button for that player. Otherwise what is the point of the option?

• Upvote 2

On 7/3/2020 at 6:56 PM, Gibby said:

I was feeling pretty good about things until last week. Not a political statement here... But if states in the South handled things like NY & NJ.... we wouldn’t be heading backwards now.

14 of 15 top death per 1m pop have democratic governors. 

NY and NJ death rate almost 10x more than Florida, and most NJ deaths come from NYC

Hard to believe how anyone can come to the conclusion above based on data today. Long way to go but as of now NY has been the worst and its not even close.

On 7/3/2020 at 7:56 PM, Gibby said:

NY and NJ handled things horrendously and is the primary reason why things got as bad as they did. The NYC health commissioner and Mayor were both insisting all was well up until early March. As a RN in the ED I was infuriated by this. 

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, CTM said:

14 of 15 top death per 1m pop have democratic governors. 

NY and NJ death rate almost 10x more than Florida, and most NJ deaths come from NYC

Hard to believe how anyone can come to the conclusion above based on data today. Long way to go but as of now NY has been the worst and its not even close.

You are not wrong but there are some important factors to consider:

1) Lack of early testing, results in an inaccurate % of deaths compared to actual cases. There's a really high chance a lot of NY/NJ residents had Corona that were not factored into the headcount due to a lack of resources to test.

2) A late surge in cases regardless of political affiliation has the benefit of knowing more than areas of early surges. Meaning we know what to do and what not to do from a medical standpoint.

What Gibby probably should have said is if states were not surging now we'd have a better chance of having football.

• Post of the Week 1

44 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

You are not wrong but there are some important factors to consider:

1) Lack of early testing, results in an inaccurate % of deaths compared to actual cases. There's a really high chance a lot of NY/NJ residents had Corona that were not factored into the headcount due to a lack of resources to test.

2) A late surge in cases regardless of political affiliation has the benefit of knowing more than areas of early surges. Meaning we know what to do and what not to do from a medical standpoint.

What Gibby probably should have said is if states were not surging now we'd have a better chance of having football.

While you are probably correct in saying the % of deaths are lower in the tri-state because of lack of early testing what the OP said is just completely lieing about the way NY & NYC specifically handled everything. It was abysmal. Thats why there are 35k deaths in NY and not anywhere else. 

We also need to take into account the fact the southern states had the opportunity to protect their most vulnerable populations because they saw what happened in NY. Add in the amount of testing being done and the fact that we just had nation wide riots where people were literally sweating on top of each other like a game of basketball and the fact you have college aged kids having coronavirus parties so they can just get it and be done with it and that's why we have an increase. 

It has nothing to do with NY doing a "great job". We didn't. All this being said, I don't blame a player if they wouldn't play, just don't expect to be paid for this year.