NFLPA discussing player opt out for this year.

On 7/3/2020 at 7:08 PM, Gibby said:

I guess...... My perspective has personally been a little different- because I never stopped working. I’m in construction.. That’s not to say we didn’t take it seriously.. It’s been extremely difficult with all the new regulations. I’m still just hoping  we can move forward already. I really wish they would stop canceling things.. I would much prefer that continue to work by all the protocols and the rest of the world come back.. If people respect the “ new normal” - for now at least and be safe.... There’s plenty we can still do.

I agree, I've never stopped working.

These guys are 20 to 30 year old professional athletes.   They are not going to die from Corona.   If people can work to get you food, work at walmart, work in waste disposal, work in construction, work in the medical field, these professional athletes can show up to work.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, chirorob said:

These guys are 20 to 30 year old professional athletes.   They are not going to die from Corona.   If people can work to get you food, work at walmart, work in waste disposal, work in construction, work in the medical field, these professional athletes can show up to work.

1) There is no way you can guarantee that not a single NFL player will die, just because 80% of deaths are over 65, there is still a non-zero percentage of healthy people under 35 that have passed away. 2) What is so hard to understand what businesses qualify as essential and which are literally entertainment? 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, chirorob said:

I wonder about the bigger guys in the NFL, the OL and DL. Many of those guys are way over 300 lbs. and may not be eating very healthy in order to stay so big.

29 minutes ago, TheClashFan said:

I wonder about the bigger guys in the NFL, the OL and DL. Many of those guys are way over 300 lbs. and may not be eating very healthy in order to stay so big.

Their cardio and lung capacity still far exceed the average person.

Their health issues would stem more from diet and weight.

Could Stefon Diggs opt out?

https://www.nfl.com/news/bills-stefon-diggs-not-comfortable-starting-back-up

Bills WR Stefon Diggs: Not 'comfortable starting back up'

Headshot_Author_Kevin-Patra_2020

Kevin Patra

AROUND THE NFL WRITER

With three weeks until players are scheduled to report to training camp, a lot of questions remain unanswered as to how returning to work for NFL players will look amid the COVID-19 pandemic.

The uncertainty is not lost on players.

In a series of tweets on Tuesday, new Buffalo Bills receiver Stefon Diggs highlighted the question many are asking as we barrel toward a year of football that promises to be unlike any other.

"I miss football..." Diggs wrote. "I love football... with all of me. But there's so many unanswered questions with this upcoming season. I'd be lying if I said I was comfortable starting back up."

"I've been training my butt off just trying to stay ready and prepared," Diggs added.

One of the many uncertainties is whether NFL fans will be allowed to attend games this season. Many teams have already reached out to season-ticket holders to note that capacity will likely be heavily curtailed at the very least.

"I've never played a game with zero fans in the stands," Diggs noted. "Even in little league we at least had parents and other family members... this will be weird if it happens."

With the NFL releasing its planned protocols to clubs for player health and safety, many more questions will need to be answered before training camp and games begin.

With some MLB players opting out of playing this season as baseball begins its return, Diggs' comments underscore the work that still must be done, and will need to continue throughout the year, to mollify player concerns and keep the game safe for those who make it happen.

1 hour ago, JetFreak89 said:

1) There is no way you can guarantee that not a single NFL player will die, just because 80% of deaths are over 65, there is still a non-zero percentage of healthy people under 35 that have passed away. 2) What is so hard to understand what businesses qualify as essential and which are literally entertainment? 

2)  How many people's financial lives depend on the NFL?  People who work for stadiums, who work for teams, who own bars/restaurants around stadiums?

There is a non zero % of people who die from the flu every year.   If a severe flu comes back next season, should the players not go to work?  

2 hours ago, chirorob said:

The issue is what Alex Lewis posted about, they need to see a plan as to how they will keep everyone safe. Yes these guys are in amazing shape but that doesn't mean their loved ones are too.

Not to mention I can't imagine the Chiefs want their 1/2 billion dollar man behind a backup OL for 2 weeks because their overweight OL are battling COVID or players like Von Miller who have asthma that could really be effected.

I understand the thought process behind your post, just know it's deeper that the individual player.

1 hour ago, chirorob said:

2)  How many people's financial lives depend on the NFL?  People who work for stadiums, who work for teams, who own bars/restaurants around stadiums?

There is a non zero % of people who die from the flu every year.   If a severe flu comes back next season, should the players not go to work?  

Players sit out when they have flu-like symptoms. They should probably let players choose if they want to play or not, if they don't want to play then their contract doesn't pay them for the season and a year gets added to the back end on the deal. No harm no foul, it allows a player who wants to play the ability to do so.

3 hours ago, jetscrazey said:

Jets have 5 new starters on o-line vs last season.  There's 0% chance they figure this out with 8 padded practice before games start.

Gase did a masterful job of this type of improvising on the fly last year, it's one of the things I'm actually not worried about.

The benefit of last year comes from the adversity faced and the same coaching staff returning.

SAR I

4 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

You are not wrong but there are some important factors to consider:

1) Lack of early testing, results in an inaccurate % of deaths compared to actual cases. There's a really high chance a lot of NY/NJ residents had Corona that were not factored into the headcount due to a lack of resources to test.

2) A late surge in cases regardless of political affiliation has the benefit of knowing more than areas of early surges. Meaning we know what to do and what not to do from a medical standpoint.

What Gibby probably should have said is if states were not surging now we'd have a better chance of having football.

1) lack of testing is why NYC case count isnt way bigger.  last seroprevalence test I saw was like 22% with antibodies, had there been wide spread testing in March / April NYC would have 2M cases. Deaths are a better indicator and show how poorly NYC did

2) Not buying it. Italy was a horror story and well reported.. The NBA, a private organization, shut down all while Cuomo and De Blasio were refusing to shut down. The morning after the NBA shutdown they refused to shut down broadway.  To act like NYC was blindsided is absurd, I know regular folks who refused to go into the city as early as late Feb. I pleaded with friends to stay off the subways in early march.

Cuomo should be known as the Albany Assassin but somehow hes been made a hero because Trump is a buffoon and sounds worse in comparison. 

Trump by the way should be impeached for refusing to wear a mask still.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, CTM said:

And seriously, cancel it. Large groups of people are the most dangerous thing to do. It's a game played and coached by millionaires for the profit of billionaires.  They can afford it 

Yep.  But we all know the NFL is going to hold on until the bitter end.

23 minutes ago, CTM said:

1) lack of testing is why NYC case count isnt way bigger.  last seroprevalence test I saw was like 22% with antibodies, had there been wide spread testing in March / April NYC would have 2M cases. Deaths are a better indicator and show how poorly NYC did

2) Not buying it. Italy was a horror story and well reported.. The NBA, a private organization, shut down all while Cuomo and De Blasio were refusing to shut down. The morning after the NBA shutdown they refused to shut down broadway.  To act like NYC was blindsided is absurd, I know regular folks who refused to go into the city as early as late Feb. I pleaded with friends to stay off the subways in early march.

Cuomo should be known as the Albany Assassin but somehow hes been made a hero because Trump is a buffoon and sounds worse in comparison. 

Trump by the way should be impeached for refusing to wear a mask still.

I'm not really disagreeing with you. You are absolutely correct on your first point. The only issue I have is that there was a ton of erroneous information at the start of this process from people in various positions of power. With hindsight being 20/20 I'm sure the CDC and WHO would like to retract some of the statements made back in February and March.

I do disagree with your second point, I think we absolutely know how to handle this virus better now than when NY/NJ were having their big spikes. Just because the NBA shutdown doesn't necessarily mean the country should shut down, the NBA did end up doing the right thing but I'm not sure I'd pull the trigger as a Governor because one of the sports leagues halted play.

Wearing a mask is like wearing a seatbelt. You don't have to wear one everywhere you go but if you wear them when you are supposed to you can help save lives.

21 minutes ago, CTM said:

And seriously, cancel it. Large groups of people are the most dangerous thing to do. It's a game played and coached by millionaires for the profit of billionaires.  They can afford it 

I couldn't have said it better myself!

14 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Yea we are definitely going to see the ability for players to opt out because that means owners are off the hook paying the current players while roping in replacement players who see this as the only way they can make their NFL dream come true.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

do disagree with your second point, I think we absolutely know how to handle this virus better now than when NY/NJ were having their big spikes. Just because the NBA shutdown doesn't necessarily mean the country should shut down, the NBA did end up doing the right thing but I'm not sure I'd pull the trigger as a Governor because one of the sports leagues halted play.

It's not  because of the sports league, it's because NYC had access to the same information as the nba plus more.. the sport league looked at the situation in Italy, saw it in seattle and said woah, time to pull the plug. 

NYC was always going to be the hot spot in USA and needed to shut down first. Not after the NBA, not after california. First. Many citizens were smart enough to avoid NYC in early March, NYC wasnt blindsided by this, they refused to risk thier economies knowing full well the risk 

On 7/4/2020 at 8:26 AM, The Crusher said:

Please go into the clubs to  discuss Covid. I appreciate everyone’s efforts to avoid politics by stating they are trying to not make it political right before they make it political. I do. 

shut up commie lover!!!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I think the owners will squeeze the players as hard as they can and as soon as it becomes clear it’d cost them one penny more than they’d make to run the season, they’ll call it off and blame the PA. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Larz said:

No vaccine, no football 

it’s just too much close contact 

To manage COVID, you can test a lot and weed out the positives and isolate them.  Many will not have symptoms.   You can also not test everyone but keep people separate and wearing masks.  Doing both is great. 

If the NFL can test the players and have them wear masks as much as possible (meetings, etc.), then the only problem is when they play.  If the players are tested on Friday and Saturday and isolated starting Thursday or Friday, there should not be any issues.

Kids are going to colleges and being tested constantly.   We can play football, if the players agree to isolate as much as possible.  That is where the wheels come off.  

52 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

And now this! The treachery!

24688353-8337-4F02-82E1-A0F812C41A58.png

College sports were doomed from the get go 

How can small colleges afford/justify the money it will cost for testing hundreds of kids? We might just see a few big schools play some modified version of a season in sports that actually generate income for the school.

• Upvote 3