Joey "Jaws" Chestnut Greatest Athlete Ever?

4 minutes ago, maury77 said:

My description of surfing is trying to do a burpee on a balance board that is moving

lol - and that's just the basics.  There so many factors that go in as well mostly physical.  But eliminate your own physicality for a second, getting past the breakers, timing the wave, standing up, doing more than just riding straight etc.  Try and go surf a popular surf break with real waves and small take off zone.  Like Trestles in California or Pipeline Hawaii for example. 70-100 guys in a 50 yard radius, 30 of them are Pro's to Semi-Pros, the other half super aggressive good surfers who are territorial ready to fight in an instant for getting in their way, now go out there in that line up and try to compete for a wave.  Get back me to me after that if you dont think it's a sport. 

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, JiF said:

lol - by your estimation of what makes a sport, then surfing is more of a sport than Basketball, Baseball, Football, Golfing, Gymnastics, Track and field, every winter sport in the world and so on lmfao 

Absolutely not. Apparently we have a different definition of the word sport so let me compare figure skating and surfing for you.

In surfing you have a surfer, a wave, and a judge. Figure skating you have a skater, a rink, and a judge. Both are basically competing against themselves and the winner is left up to someones judgement. They couldn't be more similar. Just because something is difficult does not make it a sport but apparently you can't understand that.

No need to have a little hissy fit when someone doesn't agree with the almighty jif. Good talking to ya.

14 minutes ago, RobR said:

Absolutely not. Apparently we have a different definition of the word sport so let me compare figure skating and surfing for you.

In surfing you have a surfer, a wave, and a judge. Figure skating you have a skater, a rink, and a judge. Both are basically competing against themselves and the winner is left up to someones judgement. They couldn't be more similar. Just because something is difficult does not make it a sport but apparently you can't understand that.

No need to have a little hissy fit when someone doesn't agree with the almighty jif. Good talking to ya.

So you have a narrow definition of what a sport is.  Understandable, but it flies in the face of the definition of the word:

Dictionary.com defines sport as "an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess". ...

Oxford Dictionary defines sport as "an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or a team competes against another or others for entertainment".

Under those definitions, Surfing and Figure Skating are both sports.  And I would argue NASCAR/Racing falls under that category too.

I prefer team sports over individual sports, but that would be the only meaningful difference Surfing and Figure Skating have with Football:  The former are individual sports, the latter is a team sport.

29 minutes ago, RobR said:

Hissy fit?  I think that's unfair but it's frustrating when you're having a conversation with someone that clearly has no idea what they're talking about but pretending like they do.  Surfing is my biggest passion in life and saying it's not a sport and comparing it to figure skating is insulting, quite frankly.  No offense to figure skaters but it's not even remotely the same.  And to make that comparison is asinine, sorry dude, it just is.  To compare an individual event with skates strapped on your feet in a stable environment to catching waves in the ocean and putting your life at risk is bonkers.  There is no other way to describe it. I like you and this isnt personal and I havent insulted you or anything like that but your opinion on this is completely and utterly wrong.  lol  

To educate you.  The only thing that is similar in this comparison is that they both uses judges.  However, in surfing you compete in the water vs. another surfer.  In fact, sometimes you compete with 3 other surfers at the same time.  During that allotted time you are in direct competition for the best waves.  Not just the best score but the best waves.  There is strategy.  There are defined rules.  You can use those rules to your advantage.  There are ways while you're in a heat to gain certain privileges based on priority that can create a disadvantage for you opponent/s which has nothing to do with the judges.  Your ability to paddle (swim) faster and navigate the elements to get to where you can actually catch the wave, plays a huge factor and again, has nothing to do with a judge.  Your ability to pick the right waves is crucial and all on you, not the judges.  There is never a time in a surfing contest where you are alone in the water by yourself and just having the judges score your waves.  Similar to the core sports, there is also a factor with your opponent known as "home field advantage".  For example, Jon Jon Florence, is from Hawaii, nobody surfs Pipeline like Jon Jon.  His house is literally 40 yards down the beach.   Kelly Slater is from Florida.  He's also 20 years older than Jon Jon.  They are in the water, in Jon Jon literal backyard, in a direct head to head competition battling for a world title after they eliminated 100 other surfers in a contest ranging over 4 days.  Jon Jon has a HUGE advantage (spoiler alert, Kelly has never lost to Jon Jon at Pipeline).   Knowing where to sit, what board to use, how to time the waves, etc etc etc etc I could go on dude but that's how different surfing is than figure skating and how wrong you are on this subject.  They couldnt be more different.  

❤️.

1 minute ago, JiF said:

Hissy fit?  I think that's unfair but it's frustrating when you're having a conversation with someone that clearly has no idea what they're talking about but pretending like they do.  Surfing is my biggest passion in life and saying it's not a sport and comparing it to figure skating is insulting, quite frankly.  No offense to figure skaters but it's not even remotely the same.  And to make that comparison is asinine, sorry dude, it just is.  To compare an individual event with skates strapped on your feet in a stable environment to catching waves in the ocean and putting your life at risk is bonkers.  There is no other way to describe it. I like you and this isnt personal and I havent insulted you or anything like that but your opinion on this is completely and utterly wrong.  lol  

To educate you.  The only thing that is similar in this comparison is that they both uses judges.  However, in surfing you compete in the water vs. another surfer.  In fact, sometimes you compete with 3 other surfers at the same time.  During that allotted time you are in direct competition for the best waves.  Not just the best score but the best waves.  There is strategy.  There are defined rules.  You can use those rules to your advantage.  There are ways while you're in a heat to gain certain privileges based on priority that can create a disadvantage for you opponent/s which has nothing to do with the judges.  Your ability to paddle (swim) faster and navigate the elements to get to where you can actually catch the wave, plays a huge factor and again, has nothing to do with a judge.  Your ability to pick the right waves is crucial and all on you, not the judges.  There is never a time in a surfing contest where you are alone in the water by yourself and just having the judges score your waves.  Similar to the core sports, there is also a factor with your opponent known as "home field advantage".  For example, Jon Jon Florence, is from Hawaii, nobody surfs Pipeline like Jon Jon.  His house is literally 40 yards down the beach.   Kelly Slater is from Florida.  He's also 20 years older than Jon Jon.  They are in the water, in Jon Jon literal backyard, in a direct head to head competition battling for a world title after they eliminated 100 other surfers in a contest ranging over 4 days.  Jon Jon has a HUGE advantage (spoiler alert, Kelly has never lost to Jon Jon at Pipeline).  I could go on dude but that's how different surfing is than figure skating and how wrong you are on this subject.  They couldnt be more different.  

❤️.

Thought I was

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

Surfing is a sport.

Individually or as competition.

On Long Island as a teen and older  I spent a good part of my life surfing Long Beach, Gilgo and Ditch Plains etc

Later In my 20's and 30's surfed Rincon PR, Hanalei  Bay Hi. and more. 

When younger I was a pretty good amateur but the guys who do it professionally are a completely different beast.

Tell them its not a sport hahahahahaha.

2 hours ago, JiF said:

lol - and that's just the basics.  There so many factors that go in as well mostly physical.  But eliminate your own physicality for a second, getting past the breakers, timing the wave, standing up, doing more than just riding straight etc.  Try and go surf a popular surf break with real waves and small take off zone.  Like Trestles in California or Pipeline Hawaii for example. 70-100 guys in a 50 yard radius, 30 of them are Pro's to Semi-Pros, the other half super aggressive good surfers who are territorial ready to fight in an instant for getting in their way, now go out there in that line up and try to compete for a wave.  Get back me to me after that if you dont think it's a sport. 

Long story short,  Surfers are douchebags just pretending to be chill. 

?

1 hour ago, JiF said:

To educate you.  The only thing that is similar in this comparison is that they both uses judges.  However, in surfing you compete in the water vs. another surfer.  In fact, sometimes you compete with 3 other surfers at the same time.  During that allotted time you are in direct competition for the best waves.  Not just the best score but the best waves.  There is strategy.  There are defined rules.  You can use those rules to your advantage.  There are ways while you're in a heat to gain certain privileges based on priority that can create a disadvantage for you opponent/s which has nothing to do with the judges.  Your ability to paddle (swim) faster and navigate the elements to get to where you can actually catch the wave, plays a huge factor and again, has nothing to do with a judge.  Your ability to pick the right waves is crucial and all on you, not the judges.  There is never a time in a surfing contest where you are alone in the water by yourself and just having the judges score your waves.  Similar to the core sports, there is also a factor with your opponent known as "home field advantage".  For example, Jon Jon Florence, is from Hawaii, nobody surfs Pipeline like Jon Jon.  His house is literally 40 yards down the beach.   Kelly Slater is from Florida.  He's also 20 years older than Jon Jon.  They are in the water, in Jon Jon literal backyard, in a direct head to head competition battling for a world title after they eliminated 100 other surfers in a contest ranging over 4 days.  Jon Jon has a HUGE advantage (spoiler alert, Kelly has never lost to Jon Jon at Pipeline).   Knowing where to sit, what board to use, how to time the waves, etc etc etc etc I could go on dude but that's how different surfing is than figure skating and how wrong you are on this subject.  They couldnt be more different.  

❤️.

Look, I'm not trying too marginalize surfing and say how easy it is because I know first hand it isn't. It can be a grueling activity that can take years to even become semi competent.

What my problem is with surfing is that the winner is a judgement call EVERY SINGLE TIME, just like figure skating and diving which is why I brought those up as a comparison. You can have five judges and they will all score an event differently, then you have to add in bias. Do you think a guy like Slater gets some preferential scoring from time to time just because of his name? Look no further than this message board to see how two people can watch the exact same thing and come away with differing views, sometimes a complete 180.

For me a sport should have a definitive winner whether it be a team sport or an individual sport. What I want to see is something tangible, who ran faster, who jumped further, what team scored more points.....not some judges opinion. 

50 minutes ago, RobR said:

Look, I'm not trying too marginalize surfing and say how easy it is because I know first hand it isn't. It can be a grueling activity that can take years to even become semi competent.

What my problem is with surfing is that the winner is a judgement call EVERY SINGLE TIME, just like figure skating and diving which is why I brought those up as a comparison. You can have five judges and they will all score an event differently, then you have to add in bias. Do you think a guy like Slater gets some preferential scoring from time to time just because of his name? Look no further than this message board to see how two people can watch the exact same thing and come away with differing views, sometimes a complete 180.

For me a sport should have a definitive winner whether it be a team sport or an individual sport. What I want to see is something tangible, who ran faster, who jumped further, what team scored more points.....not some judges opinion. 

No, it's really not a judgement call "every single time".  I'd say 95% of the time there is a clear cut winner and to win a world championship, there is a scoring system based on over a dozen events.  That said, yes, I've seen Slater win questionably so it's not a perfect system.  But that is not the norm at all, most of the time its a no brainer because again, you're not factoring in the competition for the waves and the fact you're not alone in the water.  There is strategy in how to keep your opponent off the best waves.  Therefore, making it more challenging to score.  In some cases, the better competitor can almost keep their opponent from getting any scoring waves at all.  For example; Kelly might get 5 waves, 3 great scores, 2 bad ones where as his opponent gets 3 waves 1 good, 2 bad.   That's any easy judgement call and more often than not, exactly how a heat goes.  It's not a level playing field over and over again like figure skating or a half pipe or ramp or rings or whatever etc. the better athlete/competitor, knows how to apply strategy in addition to skill and athleticism to catch more waves, to catch better waves, in addition to creating challenges for their opponent.  That's where surfing differs from any other contest scored by judging.  That's how its no different than any other sport with a score or time.  That's why some guys are incredible free surfers but just dont know how to win competitions.

54 minutes ago, RobR said:

Boxing judges can score fights differently, too.  Does that make Boxing not a sport?

In any sport, you're depending on officials to make judgment calls that are subjective.  Basketball refs call fouls differently on different players.  Baseball umps call balls and strikes, and each ump is different.  NFL refs can't seem to agree on what a catch is.  Do we question whether those are sports?  Of course not.  Because officials are given a certain level of trust that they're calling games/events fairly.  

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Boxing judges can score fights differently, too.  Does that make Boxing not a sport?

I was waiting for someone to bring up boxing because that is the one sport that I would put into a different category when it comes to judges deciding the outcome.

First of all you have mano y mano, or a women vs. a women and there is no way they will ever change the rules to let them fight until someone gets knocked out. That's how it was 100 years ago but those days are long gone.

1 hour ago, JiF said:

Pretty much. Cant tell you how many fights I've seen in the water in my days...

I grew up at Reef Rd, Pump House, Flagpole etc with Pete and Joey Media, Russ Blanton, and the old school crew buying boards at IWS on Singer Island. Enjoyed surfing, hated the phony zen douchebag lifestyle. 

7 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

How the hell can a thread about Joey Chestnut and hot dogs turn into a heated discussion???

Please.  Guys almost came to blows on JI over whether you call it "sauce" or "gravy".  lol

BTW, sauce ("salsa") is my choice unless it includes meat, which then is called "sugo". 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

I grew up at Reef Rd, Pump House, Flagpole etc with Pete and Joey Media, Russ Blanton, and the old school crew buying boards at IWS on Singer Island. Enjoyed surfing, hated the phony zen douchebag lifestyle. 

Ha!  My brother compares my surfing to Peter Mendia.  As much as I love surfing, surfers can be total dbags.  For sure.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, RobR said:

I was waiting for someone to bring up boxing because that is the one sport that I would put into a different category when it comes to judges deciding the outcome.

First of all you have mano y mano, or a women vs. a women and there is no way they will ever change the rules to let them fight until someone gets knocked out. That's how it was 100 years ago but those days are long gone.

As JiF pointed out, surfers have to compete with each other, also.

I used to think sports needed a narrow definition.  I now think the dictionary ones I posted earlier are fine.  

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I used to think sports needed a narrow definition.  I now think the dictionary ones I posted earlier are fine.  

Your links to the dictionary contradict each other. This is what you posted, "Oxford Dictionary defines sport as "an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or a team competes against another or others for entertainment".

Do you realize how many sports would not qualify under this criteria. I know for sure it would piss off the golfers because it not only says skill but physical exertion. How about the shooting sports? Should they be left out along with many other Olympic sports. 

All I will agree about is that it's a grey area that we will never agree about. 

Go Jets!!!

15 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

For some reason he's refusing to listen to that part of competitive surfing which is a distinct difference than any other sport decided by judges other than boxing.  Again, a surfer could be in the water with 3 other opponents and have 30 minutes to compete for the same waves.  Or they can be head to head but they are never alone in the water.   It's never solo surfer vs. judges.   This is where a guy like Kelly Slater stands out and why he's a 13 time world champion who has had to transform his surfing with the progression of the sports over the 3 decades he's been on tour.  He's a world class athlete in absolute perfect shape who can out padde, out surf and out strategize his opponents.  While his wave riding technique, speed, power, diversity, barrel riding is world class, there are many guys who can do all of that on an eye popping elite level as well.  Where Kelly differs, is he can beat you before he even stands up on the wave, which has nothing do with judges. 

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, munchmemory said:

Please.  Guys almost came to blows on JI over whether you call it "sauce" or "gravy".  lol

BTW, sauce ("salsa") is my choice unless it includes meat, which then is called "sugo". 

Oh man. Borgo was something else. Was he the one that drew the line in the sand when it came to onions in the pan?

I don’t actually care what anyone calls it, if i enjoy it, I’m going to do it/watch it. Whether you call beer pong, football, golf, frisbee and cornhole sports or not, I love them and will continue to play and watch them. Don’t care about someone else’s definition. 

That said, knowing absolutely nothing about surfing and not really having an opinion on what a sport is or isn’t, this was a good fun debate. If you’re going by the oxford definition, RobR is right. However, given everything Jif and 80 said about surfing, I’d certainly call it a sport myself. 

Well done on the discussion! 

• Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

I don’t actually care what anyone calls it, if i enjoy it, I’m going to do it/watch it. Whether you call beer pong, football, golf, frisbee and cornhole sports or not, I love them and will continue to play and watch them. Don’t care about someone else’s definition. 

That said, knowing absolutely nothing about surfing and not really having an opinion on what a sport is or isn’t, this was a good fun debate. If you’re going by the oxford definition, RobR is right. However, given everything Jif and 80 said about surfing, I’d certainly call it a sport myself. 

Well done on the discussion! 

Just to be clear (and I don't think you assumed it) I have not surfed, nor will I ever be able to surf, lol.  But I see the merits of it being a sport.  I wasn't aware until @JiF educated us all about the competition for waves.  Interesting stuff, indeed.

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Just to be clear (and I don't think you assumed it) I have not surfed, nor will I ever be able to surf, lol.  But I see the merits of it being a sport.  I wasn't aware until @JiF educated us all about the competition for waves.  Interesting stuff, indeed.

It's a big part of the contest, for sure, especially in 4 man heat set ups.  Once it gets down head to head, there are more waves to go around but still, there is a ton of strategy involved.  I'll give you an example of one of the more controversial heats in the history of pro surfing, if you're really interested watch the video below, its long so specifically 4-6:30 mark.  It shows more specifically what I mean regarding strategy (getting priority) and the competition between your opponent. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Oh man. Borgo was something else. Was he the one that drew the line in the sand when it came to onions in the pan?

Wasn't Borg.  I can't recall the guy's name.  But recall him referring to people who put onions in sauce as "animals".  LMFAO!