Leonard Williams trade looks better and better - DE looking for 18-20 million dollars per year.

So is this the assumed going rate for decent defenders with over inflated egos.

It's like players are trying to demand their way to a drastic cap increase.  If Mahomes is going to get some mythical $50 mil a year  contract and players like Leo are demanding $20 Mil they are just gonna have to raise the cap to $400 Mil.?

Just another 1st round pick that basically was a waste. Revis in 2007 was our really last great 1st rounder.

Every 1st rounder after has had or is having trouble except Adams...     Let's leave Darnold out of the mix.

The last 13 years our 1st rounders have been underwhelming except Adams and jury out on Darnold.

7 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

Just another 1st round pick that basically was a waste. Revis in 2007 was our really last great 1st rounder.

Every 1st rounder after has had or is having trouble except Adams...     Let's leave Darnold out of the mix.

The last 13 years our 1st rounders have been underwhelming except Adams and jury out on Darnold.

Can you do second rounders also?

we must be great in that round. Law of averages

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

Wilkerson was a very good pick (especially since he was drafted late in the first). He obviously mailed it in after getting paid, but he had a terrific five year run. 

5 hours ago, GreekJet said:

Wilkerson was a very good pick (especially since he was drafted late in the first). He obviously mailed it in after getting paid, but he had a terrific five year run. 

I disagree....  he was pedestrian at best and had maybe a 2 years of good play.  I always thought he was slow. Never passed the eye test for me.  Just slightly above average IMO. 

16 hours ago, jetscrazey said:

What do the Mara's and Tisch's see in Dave Gettleman?

He screwed the Giants out of the best QB prospect to come out since Luck, and then he gives a 3rd round pick for a bust.

Do you live in the NY area?

I don’t hear any Giants fans complaining about Barkley and Jones, do you? Gettleman did just fine with his last couple of drafts.

As far as the trade, yeah, it looks bad today, but let’s see how Davis pans out before we start crowing. At worst the Giants get another year from LW, then get back a high (3rd maybe?) comp pick if they let him go in ‘21. In that scenario, they had him a year and a half, who ended up costing them a 5th round pick two years later.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

I disagree....  he was pedestrian at best and had maybe a 2 years of good play.  I always thought he was slow. Never passed the eye test for me.  Just slightly above average IMO. 

Exactly! He had a couple of monster games vs Buffalo where he was all over the place, outside of that the dude was INVISIBLE. I was on here constantly saying DO NOT GIVE THIS SLUG A BIG CONTRACT. But, apparently the Jets didn't want to listen to me ?

• Upvote 1

I'm convinced that Leonard Williams is miscast. He plays DE and as a top 10 pick is expected to be a playmaker. He is not. What his though is a very effective space eater. He is not good at beating blocks, but he is good at occupying blockers. If you are looking for a guy to create a stalemate, he is your man. He should be told to get his weight up to 325lbs+ and be permanently moved to NT.   At 6'5" and with his natural athletic ability he would be a unicorn. 

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, Trolly McTrollface said:

I don’t hear any Giants fans complaining about Barkley and Jones, do you? Gettleman did just fine with his last couple of drafts.

As far as the trade, yeah, it looks bad today, but let’s see how Davis pans out before we start crowing. At worst the Giants get another year from LW, then get back a high (3rd maybe?) comp pick if they let him go in ‘21. In that scenario, they had him a year and a half, who ended up costing them a 5th round pick two years later.

Meanwhile the Giants defense is absolutely atrocious and the giants are actually in worse shape than the jets which has to be driving the Maras nuts

26 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

I'm convinced that Leonard Williams is miscast. He plays DE and as a top 10 pick is expected to be a playmaker. He is not. What his though is a very effective space eater. He is not good at beating blocks, but he is good at occupying blockers. If you are looking for a guy to create a stalemate, he is your man. He should be told to get his weight up to 325lbs+ and be permanently moved to NT.   At 6'5" and with his natural athletic ability he would be a unicorn. 

His ceiling is probably as a Sione Pouha

It’s amazing that this was Mac’s best draft pick his first 2 seasons here.  It really goes to show how horrific Mac was and actually worse than Idzik which is saying alot

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Meanwhile the Giants defense is absolutely atrocious and the giants are actually in worse shape than the jets which has to be driving the Maras nuts

Agreed.

Their defense sucks, lol.

DL isn’t bad, but their back 7 are embarrassing.

Mac always took the CONSENSUS pick. 
It was literally like he was watching ESPN & NFL networks highest ranked available. 
He lucked out that the Giants passed on Sam or even that the Browns took Mayfield. 
imagine Sam throwing to OBJ, Landry, Njoku, Higgins and handing off to Nick Chubb & Hunt? 

10 hours ago, batman10023 said:

Can you do second rounders also?

we must be great in that round. Law of averages

Our last quality 2nd round pick came from that same draft - 2007 (David Harris).

We haven't had as many 2nd rounders as 1st rounders.  Probably because of our poor history, we've decided to skip that round altogether.  Since 2007 we've made just 8 picks in the 2nd round:  Vlad Ducasse (2010), Stephen Hill (2012), Geno Smith (2013), Jace Amaro (2014), Devin Smith (2015), Christian Hackenberg (2016), Marcus Maye (2017) and then Mims.  

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

He had 2 excellent seasons of play.  10.5 and 12.0 Sack seasons (with 5 FFs over those seasons) out of an interior DL is damn impressive, no matter what he became later.  It's revisionist history to suggest otherwise.  

20 hours ago, David Harris said:

Let’s do the math here so he averages 0.5 sacks a year. So for $20 million a year that comes out to $40 million dollars per sack. 

A little pricey, cheaper to franchise him again next year. 

I am not exactly sure where you get this math from.  Williams is not a pass rusher, but he certainly averages more than 0.5 sacks a year.  He has been in the league for 5 years and had at least 7 in one season alone.

I agree that $20M is outrageous, but the Jets gave Henry Anderson 3/$25M with $17M guaranteed and more available in incentives.  Williams is a considerably better, if similar player.  He certainly should end up getting north of $10

2 hours ago, Trolly McTrollface said:

LOL did you watch the Giants/Jets game?  No question in my mind which team got the better QB.  Thank you Dave Gettleman.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

He had 2 excellent seasons of play.  10.5 and 12.0 Sack seasons (with 5 FFs over those seasons) out of an interior DL is damn impressive, no matter what he became later.  It's revisionist history to suggest otherwise.  

I still say he underwhelmed.  He gave up on plays, etc.  But it's just opinion.  

8 hours ago, jetscrazey said:

LOL did you watch the Giants/Jets game?  No question in my mind which team got the better QB.  Thank you Dave Gettleman.

I think both the jets and giants have good young QBs 

Tho Sam is probably better and so is his roster 

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Our last quality 2nd round pick came from that same draft - 2007 (David Harris).

We haven't had as many 2nd rounders as 1st rounders.  Probably because of our poor history, we've decided to skip that round altogether.  Since 2007 we've made just 8 picks in the 2nd round:  Vlad Ducasse (2010), Stephen Hill (2012), Geno Smith (2013), Jace Amaro (2014), Devin Smith (2015), Christian Hackenberg (2016), Marcus Maye (2017) and then Mims.  

Mac and Idzik shat the bed for 10 years

6 hours ago, Philc1 said:

I think both the jets and giants have good young QBs 

Tho Sam is probably better and so is his roster 

I think Jones has to prove a lot more to me before we can put him in the same conversation as Darnold as a QB of the future.

17 hours ago, Jetster said:

Exactly! He had a couple of monster games vs Buffalo where he was all over the place, outside of that the dude was INVISIBLE. I was on here constantly saying DO NOT GIVE THIS SLUG A BIG CONTRACT. But, apparently the Jets didn't want to listen to me ?

Give me a break! Over his first five seasons Wilkerson was probably the 2nd best interior DL in the game behind JJ Watt. He absolutely earned that contract and if the Jets didn’t pay him somebody else would have. 

Of the Wilkerson, Richardson, Williams trio it’s clear that Wilkerson was the best and Williams was the worst of the three. 

4 hours ago, GreekJet said:

Give me a break! Over his first five seasons Wilkerson was probably the 2nd best interior DL in the game behind JJ Watt. He absolutely earned that contract and if the Jets didn’t pay him somebody else would have. 

Of the Wilkerson, Richardson, Williams trio it’s clear that Wilkerson was the best and Williams was the worst of the three. 

We don't agree, pretty simple. I made many comments before the resigning. All of his best play came in bunches against poor teams. 

On 7/5/2020 at 7:16 AM, Jetster said:

Just imagine for one moment that Ashtyn Davis turns out to be an absolute stud free safety (pro bowl level), not out of the question based on his athletic ability & drive. 

Theres a lot of imagining that has to go on though.  

First that Davis is anywhere near as good a player at his position as Adams is.

Two that Davis was a SS like Adams, instead of a FS, not what Adams is.

Or that the two positions were one and the same, require the same skill set, which they do not

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jetster said:

We don't agree, pretty simple. I made many comments before the resigning. All of his best play came in bunches against poor teams. 

How many of Watts plays come against poor teams?  

How many times have the Jets been a poor team, enough that we can call other teams poor.

He was good, put up good numbers and was someone who made plays.  He got lazy and changed once he got his money, sucks

54 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Theres a lot of imagining that has to go on though.  

First that Davis is anywhere near as good a player at his position as Adams is.

Two that Davis were a SS like Adams, instead of a FS, not what Adams is.

With his speed Davis could conceivably play SS, FS or corner. He might be the fastest guy on the team.

• Upvote 2