Brian Baldinger: Jets fans deserve a Super Bowl this season more than any NFL fan base

https://www.nfl.com/news/which-nfl-fan-base-most-deserves-a-super-bowl-title-this-season

Which NFL fan base most deserves a Super Bowl title this season?

Fifty-four years into the Super Bowl era, 12 NFL franchises have yet to hoist a Lombardi Trophy. The front offices, coaching staffs and players feel the pain of never winning the big game, but some of the most tortured souls are the long-suffering fans.

In contrast, a handful of fan bases have been absolutely spoiled with Super Bowl victories, with the winningest franchises being the New England Patriots (six Lombardi Trophies), Pittsburgh Steelers (six), Dallas Cowboys (five) and San Francisco 49ers (five).

Ahead of the 2020 NFL season, we ask: Which fan base is most deserving of a Super Bowl title?

Nate Burleson: The great Larry Fitzgerald is back for one more season. Why not send the future Hall of Famer out with a championship like the Denver Broncos did with John Elway or the Baltimore Ravens with Ray Lewis? Fitz and the Cardinals were thisclose to winning the title in the 2008 season, when they narrowly lost to Pittsburgh. That was Arizona's only Super Bowl appearance, but the Cardinals fans have been loyal nonetheless. The team has made huge moves this offseason to move up the ladder in the NFC West, NFC and league as a whole. I wouldn't be all that surprised to see Kliff Kingsbury's team catch fire in the desert this season. This organization is due.

Brian Baldinger: J-E-T-S! JETS! JETS! JETS! Most fans weren't even alive for -- or at least old enough to remember -- the New York Jets' Super Bowl III win in January of 1969. But this franchise's fans have been loyal. They share a stadium with a team that has won four Lombardi Trophies and has been the talk of the town, yet the Jets faithful continue to show up with hope. It's been an ugly 50 years. It's time to eradicate that history.

David Carr: It's got to be Cleveland. This team has spent nearly two decades -- which included an 0-16 season in 2017 -- trying to get back to the playoffs. Despite all of the turmoil, Browns fans remain loyal and show up every week. And in 2020, it feels like hope is high with a talented roster in place. Wouldn't it be something if the team with the longest playoff drought ran the table in January/February, returning to Cleveland hoisting the Lombardi Trophy?

Joe Thomas: You would think my answer would be the Cleveland Browns, but ... it's actually the Detroit Lions! The original 0-16 team actually has a longer NFL title drought than Cleveland. The Browns last won it all in 1964, while the Lions' dry spell goes back to '57. Detroit, it's your time!

Maurice Jones-Drew: The Jacksonville Jaguars have made seven postseason appearances since they joined the NFL as an expansion team in 1995 -- and they actually punched a playoff ticket in four of their first five seasons. It's been few and far between ever since, but the fan base has been loyal -- even while hearing rumors of an eventual move to London. This city, rejuvenated by Minshew Mania, deserves a Lombardi.

• Upvote 3

28 minutes ago, Aaron Hernandez said:

I don't even think its debatable that it's us. There's no fake Jets fans. We're not like the Pats fans who can't name 3 people from the roster prior to 2000. We live in this misery cause we're men, we're stuck in our ways and we go down with this ship every year. It's the only thing I inherited from my dead beat father. He missed my birth on December 14th 1985 cause it was taking too long and we where 10-4 playing the 85 Bears that day. We lost that day 19-6, Hell of a Bears team. The rest has been history though

I was at that game.

To a 12 year old, it was cold.

• Upvote 2

47 minutes ago, predator_05 said:

I agree with the sentiment, but i can assure you, there's other starved franchises.

The jets, technically have 1 super bowl. I can think of several, age-old NFL teams that have zero:

- Vikings

- Browns

- Bills

- Lions

- Bengals

Strong fanbases, especially our cousins in upstate NY.

Title starvation is relative. Whatever happened or didn't happen before you were born (or can remember) is irrelevant.

I'm 48 and never have seen the Jets in the SB.  I'm running out of seasons. 

2 minutes ago, slats said:

You get called a troll because you're a one-hit wonder and need to share that hit in every thread, in case you were wondering. 

I'll make you a deal I'll stop sharing that hit when the Jets climb above the cap floor 

not the ceiling, the floor 

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, LockeJET said:

Of course we're going to win the Super Bowl. Why? Because it will be an 8 game season. We'll get into the playoffs at 4-4. 

Last time we had a shortened season in the 80s we arguably would have won it all if it wasn't for Shula and the mud bowl. 

• Upvote 1

It's nice to be an honorable mention in these conversations, but we aren't even in the same air as CLE and DET... you could posit that Ohio and Michigan are the heart and soul of Football, and they've largely been clown cars of the sport

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, HawkeyeJet said:

If the season is going to be weird or tainted at all this year(which is seemingly more likely every day) I'd prefer to wait.

Not that we're exactly contenders at the moment, but I agree. Finally winning the Super Bowl in a season with empty stadiums would not be the all lifetime catharsis I'm looking for.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

If the season is going to be weird or tainted at all this year(which is seemingly more likely every day) I'd prefer to wait.

Me too actually.  No * please.

I'm ok with my Nats repeating for MLB tho.  No issues there! :)

2 hours ago, bitonti said:

I'll make you a deal I'll stop sharing that hit when the Jets climb above the cap floor 

Or, how about you’ve made this point and if you keep your reminders down to once a week, I’m sure we’ll all remember... ? 

7 minutes ago, slats said:

Or, how about you’ve made this point and if you keep your reminders down to once a week, I’m sure we’ll all remember... ? 

there's this reese's commercial there's no wrong way to be a Jets fan 

over the course of 20,000 Jet nation posts,

this is the way I currently root for the team 

they are lucky to have any fans left at all 

the ones that are left are getting an involuntary lesson in league economics

48 minutes ago, bitonti said:

there's this reese's commercial there's no wrong way to be a Jets fan 

over the course of 20,000 Jet nation posts,

this is the way I currently root for the team 

they are lucky to have any fans left at all 

the ones that are left are getting an involuntary lesson in league economics

Dude, your online personality has shifted into such a dark and dreary place that I sometimes worry about you. Like, really, are you okay? 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

On 7/6/2020 at 1:01 PM, bitonti said:

not quite sure what your point is.  are you saying the jets don't spend enough?  that's pretty much an outright lie, at least historically.  in recent times they may not have spent much because they've had a lame gm and coaches who couldn't win.  winners get the money.  plus let's be clear about the players that have been available for them to spend money on.  not many. and guys they do sign like bell aren't able to perform because the rest of the team just doesn't have the talent.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

On 7/6/2020 at 12:08 PM, predator_05 said:

I agree with the sentiment, but i can assure you, there's other starved franchises.

The jets, technically have 1 super bowl. I can think of several, age-old NFL teams that have zero:

- Vikings

- Browns

- Bills

- Lions

- Bengals

Strong fanbases, especially our cousins in upstate NY.

Not technically, actually have a Super Bowl.  We have the trophy to prove it

The Jets have one hell of a loyal fan base, its been discussed many times.  We've had horrendous years, like the Kotite years and we still come back, buy our tickets and most show up in the hardest of times, good or bad weather.

I know someone will come back talking about the number of people in the area but we also add another team into the mix with the Giants fighting for the same $$ and support.  All the teams you list are the only show in town.

No one can name a more loyal fan base that we have, no matter how many times they say GB or whoever 

On 7/6/2020 at 12:40 PM, bitonti said:

they don't pay for players 

they don't pay for good coaches

how are they going to win a super bowl exactly? 

Still running this wrong statement even after it was proven that you are wrong.  And always have been wrong about the cheap theory, that they dont spend?  

Is there a cap floor and ceiling left in you?  

When did you become a troll?  

On 7/6/2020 at 11:40 AM, Jetsfan80 said:

https://www.nfl.com/news/which-nfl-fan-base-most-deserves-a-super-bowl-title-this-season

Which NFL fan base most deserves a Super Bowl title this season?

Fifty-four years into the Super Bowl era, 12 NFL franchises have yet to hoist a Lombardi Trophy. The front offices, coaching staffs and players feel the pain of never winning the big game, but some of the most tortured souls are the long-suffering fans.

In contrast, a handful of fan bases have been absolutely spoiled with Super Bowl victories, with the winningest franchises being the New England Patriots (six Lombardi Trophies), Pittsburgh Steelers (six), Dallas Cowboys (five) and San Francisco 49ers (five).

Ahead of the 2020 NFL season, we ask: Which fan base is most deserving of a Super Bowl title?

Nate Burleson: The great Larry Fitzgerald is back for one more season. Why not send the future Hall of Famer out with a championship like the Denver Broncos did with John Elway or the Baltimore Ravens with Ray Lewis? Fitz and the Cardinals were thisclose to winning the title in the 2008 season, when they narrowly lost to Pittsburgh. That was Arizona's only Super Bowl appearance, but the Cardinals fans have been loyal nonetheless. The team has made huge moves this offseason to move up the ladder in the NFC West, NFC and league as a whole. I wouldn't be all that surprised to see Kliff Kingsbury's team catch fire in the desert this season. This organization is due.

Brian Baldinger: J-E-T-S! JETS! JETS! JETS! Most fans weren't even alive for -- or at least old enough to remember -- the New York Jets' Super Bowl III win in January of 1969. But this franchise's fans have been loyal. They share a stadium with a team that has won four Lombardi Trophies and has been the talk of the town, yet the Jets faithful continue to show up with hope. It's been an ugly 50 years. It's time to eradicate that history.

David Carr: It's got to be Cleveland. This team has spent nearly two decades -- which included an 0-16 season in 2017 -- trying to get back to the playoffs. Despite all of the turmoil, Browns fans remain loyal and show up every week. And in 2020, it feels like hope is high with a talented roster in place. Wouldn't it be something if the team with the longest playoff drought ran the table in January/February, returning to Cleveland hoisting the Lombardi Trophy?

Joe Thomas: You would think my answer would be the Cleveland Browns, but ... it's actually the Detroit Lions! The original 0-16 team actually has a longer NFL title drought than Cleveland. The Browns last won it all in 1964, while the Lions' dry spell goes back to '57. Detroit, it's your time!

Maurice Jones-Drew: The Jacksonville Jaguars have made seven postseason appearances since they joined the NFL as an expansion team in 1995 -- and they actually punched a playoff ticket in four of their first five seasons. It's been few and far between ever since, but the fan base has been loyal -- even while hearing rumors of an eventual move to London. This city, rejuvenated by Minshew Mania, deserves a Lombardi.

agreed.

We are the most deserving.

We've been tied to the whipping post for 50 years.  

It's not even close.

17 hours ago, pajet said:

Hmm...this scenario sounds vaguely familiar.

5b099cb0b8e984b7f4a466ee93502669.jpg

As long as the field isn't 100% mud in the AFC Championship game, we'll be ok.   Somebody better check if Don Shula is still buried.   Just to be sure.  And be sure to pour a truckload of mud on top of the grave before you leave.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Dcat said:

As long as the field isn't 100% mud in the AFC Championship game, we'll be ok.   Somebody better check if Don Shula is still buried.   Just to be sure.  And be sure to pour a truckload of mud on top of the grave before you leave.

40 years since that game and it still p****** me off.   Couldn't stand that smug azz.   As much as I hate Belichick, Shula was still the worst.    First major let down as a Jets fan....Of course little did i know back then there were many many more to come

• Upvote 1