Mahomes agrees to 10 year extension

2 minutes ago, bitonti said:

these splashy signings are spends to get above the floor not the same as funding the roster properly 

they haven't spent to the cap since the Rex era a decade ago

the last time they made the playoffs coincidentally 

Please define to the cap.  Curious

Because you need a lesson in spending to the cap

Also, really is comical that you think 100 Mil on a practice facility, 635 mil on the team, 900 mil on a stadium and the Johnsons are looking to save 3 mil payroll of 150 mil

Makes perfect sense

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Like we never spend to the cap.  Total nonsense and completely wrong

there's 92 percent floor 

there's 100 percent cap 

that 8 percent difference on a 188 mil cap is about 15 mil 

the Jets have not spent to the cap for a decade

it's not my opinion. it's how the team operates. 

everyone shredded manish for that "1 year deal" article but a broken clock is right twice a day.

Other teams do in fact spend much more than the Jets on their roster. They are bottom 5 in roster spend. 

Which is kind of shameful considering the tri state area luxury box prices they charge

5 hours ago, bitonti said:

there's 92 percent floor 

there's 100 percent cap 

that 8 percent difference on a 188 mil cap is about 15 mil 

the Jets have not spent to the cap for a decade

it's not my opinion. it's how the team operates. 

everyone shredded manish for that "1 year deal" article but a broken clock is right twice a day.

Other teams do in fact spend much more than the Jets on their roster. They are bottom 5 in roster spend. 

Which is kind of shameful considering the tri state area luxury box prices they charge

Really?  I can tell you that you are dead wrong.  Not that I follow it because your obsession is pointless beyond belief, but they were discussing how the Jets were under by 8 mil, another year 6, another same.  Why?  in case of injuries and or a player coming free that they need or want to sign.  No one spends up to the cap, you just dont know the game

Other teams do not spend anything significantly more that the Jets nothing close to making the Jets cheap, thats comical

What is true is other teams dont spend what the Jets have spent on a practice facility, a stadium etc.  A couple of million either way in cap dollars is nothing, its not an argument worth making if I were you.

• Upvote 3

Just now, Grandy said:

Congrats brotha! Getting that money you deserve! Texas boys gotta get that bag $$$. Now I'm just waiting on mine. All Luv!!! -Jamal probably

Until I saw "probably" I was fully convinced this was Jamal's actual tweet.  Well done, lol.

• Sympathy 1

The deal will almost definitely have escalations (or deescalation) based on what the cap does in any year. So next year for example if the cap goes down Pat would make less. I can't imagine he'd sign something for 10 years w/o that language, and I can't imagine the Chiefs would give him flat 40mm if the cap does take a hit next year. 

43 minutes ago, chirorob said:

Cap is a % of gross.

If no one can go to a game, revenue may go down 50+ million a year (or up to 80 according to overthecap.com).    Say it only goes down 40 million, that means the cap goes down 20 million the following season.   Could be even more.

I don't believe they'll reduce the cap next year no matter what. I think they'll instead borrow from future years with new TV revenue coming in. I think you'll see a flat cap the next 3 or 4 seasons to make up for the lost revenue. That's why tying contracts to the cap make more sense now.

3 minutes ago, choon328 said:

And this is why you don't sign Adams right now. If Darnold explodes next year we're looking at a similar contract.

Ehh yes and no 1) I love Darnold but there is no fn way he is going to produce enough next year to warrant a Mahomes like contract. He'd have to throw 50+ TDs and win a superbowl and MVP and even then he'd have only matched SOME of Pat's accomplishments. Dude is just on a different level. 2) The chiefs are paying 6 guys 15mm plus in 2020, and have a bunch of commitments in 2021. The Jets are only paying CJ and Leveon more than 15mm and Crowder is next at 10mm. For 2021 they are basically only committed to CJ. They have a way they could make it work if they wanted to - they could also potentially offer Jamal 15mm/yr with escalations based on cap to mitigate COVID risks I just don't think they want to do that and/or set the precedent. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Columbia Jet Fan said:

Ehh yes and no 1) I love Darnold but there is no fn way he is going to produce enough next year to warrant a Mahomes like contract. He'd have to throw 50+ TDs and win a superbowl and MVP and even then he'd have only matched SOME of Pat's accomplishments. Dude is just on a different level. 2) The chiefs are paying 6 guys 15mm plus in 2020, and have a bunch of commitments in 2021. The Jets are only paying CJ and Leveon more than 15mm and Crowder is next at 10mm. For 2021 they are basically only committed to CJ. They have a way they could make it work if they wanted to - they could also potentially offer Jamal 15mm/yr with escalations based on cap to mitigate COVID risks I just don't think they want to do that and/or set the precedent. 

Bro if Darnold throws for 50tds and is the mvp with this cluster **** of a roster he is getting 500 million. Let’s not forget mahomes has Andy Reid and the best supporting cast in the leuage, Alex smith led the NFL in deep TDs on that team. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2

13 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

Largest contract in sports history! Mahomes deserves it 

Devil is always in the details.

Actual money received wont even be in the top 20 for professional athletes. MLB players get far more guaranteed money from their contracts. 

Mahomes is likely to see probably 50-60% of that 400 million at best. It's just the way the NFL works.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

49 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Also, really is comical that you think 100 Mil on a practice facility, 635 mil on the team, 900 mil on a stadium....

You don't think they actually paid that in cash do you?  You understand how financing works, I presume?

1 hour ago, johnnysd said:

Who's to say we don't????

would you give sam a 10 year deal rumored to avg 40 mil per right now? its reasonable to want to see more consistent play from him, ala... packers, texans game from rookie year, Dallas past season and improved play from the last 8 game of this year agains teams that aren't the worst 8 teams in the league. with additions to the line we all hoping sam shows out this year, because the sooner you know and get a deal done the cheaper he will be. cheaper is not really appropriate when talking about that much money.

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

You don't think they actually paid that in cash do you?  You understand how financing works, I presume?

So, youre saying the money was spent just it will be a lot more than 100 mil when all is said and done

You find me where it says paying it off on time isnt the same as spending money.  Did you pay cash for your house?  I didnt, I still felt like I was spending a fortune at closing.

And I presume when he financed it through a series of loans he agreed to pay more than the 100 mil back.  High finance and all.  

Stay tuned.

This place is going to be fun when Jimmy Sexton decides to swing his weight around next year.

Darnold could be the 17-25 ranked QB in ‘20 and he’s still going to ask for Mahomes like $$$$$ I’m thinking about 7 years, $300 million.

A lot of guys on this board are going to be doing 180’s on our young QB.

12 minutes ago, Warfish said:

You think Sam Darnold will get close to a 10 year, 400+million contract? :-k

I think he'll be one he higher paid. Not because he's better but when he's a FA. Its not always if you're better. It's when you are Free. Look at Cousins.