Throwback Uniforms

21 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

73068146_medium.jpg

Still say these made us look bigger and stronger. Loved those huge shoulder numbers.  Leave the Steinberg black outlines out and put all this numbering on our uniforms and I'd be happier

I love those uniforms with darker green, later on they seemed to lighten them a bit but the uniforms in this photo are perfect.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

I love those uniforms with darker green, later on they seemed to lighten them a bit but the uniforms in this photo are perfect.

Think its a bit of the lighting and a lot underexposed by the photog but I agree, they were a bit darker at some point and that offset by the large white numbers were the shlt

And I'm not one who advocated bringing those units back, just think they looked sharp

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Mogglez said:

69272197-844C-4635-A5F6-FADDBE8DE3C7.thumb.jpeg.4d8373c3bf985134e234d6189ab121fb.jpeg

36D36EF6-0D6E-440C-A1B2-69677A6DE630.thumb.jpeg.f3f2efd8e3300b60a0a96b2af30daac0.jpeg

7E3C6909-C3A2-4E59-BF01-FA79AA42B9EE.thumb.jpeg.2d9127fb31ff9a7333c5001aabe62ef9.jpeg

36750DB0-25A8-40B2-A90B-5F7BEB36FBF9.thumb.jpeg.132704e751101d549ab3fc36a071f11a.jpeg

33227127-53F5-445C-90C9-238C1123AD3F.thumb.jpeg.4c6612d2a68e248b030bcd0c7e80c3ea.jpeg

I agree with @SAR I.  All the new uniforms are gorgeous.  However, as I've said before, my friends and I are Nike's target demographic so I get why the older crowd isn't a fan.

Older in my 30s? 

They suck compared to our classics. All the classics needed was the current green.

3 minutes ago, Drums said:

Why does the rule about the one colored helmet even exist?

Concussions.  Some study that the NFL did to defend itself against lawsuits said that changing the helmets to versions with different padding inside was increasing the risk, it was better if a helmet was broken-in and had more of a fit/cushioning effect.  So the league said there shall be one helmet per player per season.

In the decade since, the NCAA did not have the same rule and the amount and degree of concussions did not differ from the NFL.  So the NFL is reconsidering the rule.

SAR I

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Think its a bit of the lighting and a lot underexposed by the photog but I agree, they were a bit darker at some point and that offset by the large white numbers were the shlt

And I'm not one who advocated bringing those units back, just think they looked sharp

In some photos it could be the lighting or game conditions but they did seem darker in early 80s. 

Early vs mid-late 80s

111021-24907295Fr.jpg

images.jpeg

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, TNJet said:

Older in my 30s? 

They suck compared to our classics. All the classics needed was the current green.

The mistake we all make is think we, as individual speak for all.

All dont love them and all dont think they suck.

They never were going to get loved by all but most are fine or just dont really care

4 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

In some photos it could be the lighting or game conditions but they did seem darker in early 80s. 

Early vs mid-late 80s

111021-24907295Fr.jpg

images.jpeg

I agree.  A little darker but that picture of Freeman I posted and the Lam Jones above are underexposed and the colors are off.

8 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Concussions.  Some study that the NFL did to defend itself against lawsuits said that changing the helmets to versions with different padding inside was increasing the risk, it was better if a helmet was broken-in and had more of a fit/cushioning effect.  So the league said there shall be one helmet per player per season.

In the decade since, the NCAA did not have the same rule and the amount and degree of concussions did not differ from the NFL.  So the NFL is reconsidering the rule.

SAR I

Well that makes sense but I figured theyd use the same type of helmet with a different color instead of changing the helmet. I get the broken in part though

8 hours ago, SAR I said:

Come now.  Look at the Yankees road jersey.  Look at the Mets road jersey.  And for decades no NFL team had any text on the front of the jersey at all.   And with all the color rush and alternate jerseys, its even more confusing. NFL fans know who whose jersey is whose.  Saying "New York" on the front of any garment increases sales markedly as non-NFL fans just like the association with the big fancy city.

It's identical.  Nike took that element from the old logo and incorporated it in the new design.  It looks like the nose of a jet, or a jet engine contrail, or a stripe showing fast motion.  It works.

Why?  The 80's logo had a terrible italic font and looked like an SST which might have been cutting edge back in the 70's but the Concorde has been rendered obsolete and to copy a stealth fighter would have looked too military.

And a new logo was created.  The helmet logo uses an adjusted font and an adjusted football.

SENTENCE.jpg

The Jets logo has always said "New York Jets Football".  Because the "New York" lives on the front of the jersey, the helmet only needs to say "Jets Football".  And it does.

SAR I

Too bad that they play in Jersey .

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SAM SAM HE'S OUR MAN said:

Too bad that they play in Jersey .

Doesn't matter.  It's one big geographic area feeding off of Manhattan.  And it's great for me; I'm 20 minutes from the stadium.  Tough after the games though, takes me 25.

SAR I

• Haha 1

I don’t care about the jerseys. My emotions fluctuate about them. I feel like they look awesome when the sun is beaming but they look awful when it’s not. 

The real question is when we’re leaving that GARBAGE stadium of ours. ?

6 minutes ago, Ghost said:

I don’t care about the jerseys. My emotions fluctuate about them. I feel like they look awesome when the sun is beaming but they look awful when it’s not. 

The Johnsons decided to change from one of the best jerseys in the league to one of the worst.  And to add insult to injury, we play in a $1.6B air conditioner. 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Ghost said:

SAR I

3 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

The Johnsons decided to change from one of the best jerseys in the league to one of the worst.  And to add insult to injury, we play in a $1.6B air conditioner. 

Untitled.jpg

You didn't pay for the stadium so you shouldn't concern yourself with how much it cost.

It looks like a skyscraper, consistent with the skyline behind it.

The jerseys are an attempt to attract younger fans, they aren't meant for you.

SAR I

56 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Untitled.jpg

You didn't pay for the stadium so you shouldn't concern yourself with how much it cost.

It looks like a skyscraper, consistent with the skyline behind it.

The jerseys are an attempt to attract younger fans, they aren't meant for you.

SAR I

If you asked 1,000 people if MetLife Stadium reminds them more of a skyscraper vs an air conditioner, I'm confident "air conditioner" would win.  Either way, it's hard to believe someone signed off on spending 1.6 billion BTUs on that design.

As for the jerseys, I'm guessing the same people must've signed off on those, too:

image.png.13c6371ea799e2b92be357797b00367a.png

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

If you asked 1,000 people if MetLife Stadium reminds them more of a skyscraper vs an air conditioner, I'm confident "air conditioner" would win.  Either way, it's hard to believe someone signed off on spending 1.6 billion BTUs on that design.

As for the jerseys, I'm guessing the same people must've signed off on those, too:

image.png.13c6371ea799e2b92be357797b00367a.png

LOL, that was funny.

SAR I

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Ghost said:

I hope not. That stadium needs to be destroyed immediately. 4th graders can design something more modern than that. 

I've been to about 12 NFL stadiums and MetLife is on par with them all.  It's a seating bowl.  The rest is just fluff.  MetLfe, to its credit, has very quick ingress and egress, short bathroom lines, short concession lines, and great food and souvenir choices.  Foxboro is a mess in all those areas, Kansas City, Indianapolis, Miami, Jacksonville, Green Bay too.

SAR I

33 minutes ago, SAR I said:

I've been to about 12 NFL stadiums and MetLife is on par with them all.  It's a seating bowl.  The rest is just fluff.  MetLfe, to its credit, has very quick ingress and egress, short bathroom lines, short concession lines, and great food and souvenir choices.  Foxboro is a mess in all those areas, Kansas City, Indianapolis, Miami, Jacksonville, Green Bay too.

SAR I

Besides Jacksonville, all those stadiums have home field advantage. We do not. 

1 hour ago, Ghost said:

No, I’m smart. I attend 4-6 games per year at the fraction of a price. The other games I sit in my basement eating stale pretzels. 

Then don't complain.  You get bargain-basement pricing on seats from kind season ticket holders like me and you're in a modern stadium that, unlike the last two dumps we were stuck in, doesn't leak, has short bathroom lines, has short concession lines, doesn't put a Montreal Expos pennant between the goalposts, and lets us play home games in September.

SAR I

4 hours ago, SAR I said:

Then don't complain.  You get bargain-basement pricing on seats from kind season ticket holders like me and you're in a modern stadium that, unlike the last two dumps we were stuck in, doesn't leak, has short bathroom lines, has short concession lines, doesn't put a Montreal Expos pennant between the goalposts, and lets us play home games in September.

SAR I

I don’t give a sh*t if I’m a STH or not. I go to just as many games as you do, if not, more. Does that make me a bigger fan than you? Or are there other variables that must be considered such as distance being traveled, time arriving at the parking lot, who has the more expensive clothing. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Ghost said:

I don’t give a sh*t if I’m a STH or not. I go to just as many games as you do, if not, more. Does that make me a bigger fan than you? Or are there other variables that must be considered such as distance being traveled, time arriving at the parking lot, who has the more expensive clothing. 

Season ticket holders have a commitment to the team and the building; a Stubhubber does not.  The experience is built for us, not you.  You'll take your air conditioner and your 75% of tickets and you'll like it.

SAR I