Most unexpected “good” and “disappointing” season in Jets history

I’ve been a fan since the 80s and had this debate with a few others. 

Most unexpected good season: 

2006: It really was amazing that the Jets made the playoffs that year given the fact that it was essentially the start of a complete rebuild. Pennington and Coles delivered solid seasons and Cotchery emerged. The defense got big years out of Kerry Rhodes and Bryan Thomas-beyond that it was a flawed team/roster that parlayed a soft schedule into the playoffs.

Most disappointing season:

1999 for most but for me it was 2003. I was super confident in that team heading into the year and was devastated when Pennington broke his wrist in the preseason. 

45 minutes ago, GreekJet said:

I’ve been a fan since the 80s and had this debate with a few others. 

Most unexpected good season: 

2006: It really was amazing that the Jets made the playoffs that year given the fact that it was essentially the start of a complete rebuild. Pennington and Coles delivered solid seasons and Cotchery emerged. The defense got big years out of Kerry Rhodes and Bryan Thomas-beyond that it was a flawed team/roster that parlayed a soft schedule into the playoffs.

Most disappointing season:

1999 for most but for me it was 2003. I was super confident in that team heading into the year and was devastated when Pennington broke his wrist in the preseason. 

That was not Chad.  Vinny ruptured his achilles.  Agree that after the "almost" 1998 season, 1999 was a huge disappointment.

• Upvote 1

Just from recent memory I would say 2015 and Fitzmagic was a really fun season. Lots of surprises and the team had a camaraderie that was obvious and made them very likable and easy to root for.

Rex Ryan's last few years here we're extremely painful to watch for many reasons. Not only the play on the field, but he came in so loud and boisterous and you wanted to believe in him so much and he was a shell of himself on the way out. It was absolutely pathetic.

• Upvote 2

I'm not able to see good as a Jets fan.

Bad I would say when Vinny tore his achilles the first week in 99 but that happened so early it was like tearing off the bandaid. That was our shot at a SB. It's probably the year we couldn't bench Favre with a torn bicep and Pennington who we released won the division with Miami. We've won the division twice since 1969, that's next level suck

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Unexpected good: ‘09

We had two different 0-3 streaks that season, and iirc, at one point Rex actually said in a post-game press conference (after a loss to the falcons or rams) that they were eliminated from contention. In reality, their next loss would be in Indy after being up at halftime and probably being a Shonn Green injury away from the SB. 

Unexpected bad: 2004 (Penny was supposedly finally healthy going into that year) and 2008 (10-3, sigh) are honorable mentions, but 2011 takes the cake. Coming off back to back conference title berths, Sanchez was supposed to take the next step. Instead, victor cruz salsas 99 yards and it’s game, set, match for the entire decade of jets football.

• Upvote 1

Unexpected bad: 2012....that team still should have won 8 games.  The O and D both soured, the Jets failed to score 300 points in a season for the first time in 5 years.  They also gave up 375 points....the most since 1996 under Kotite.  Yikes!

Unexpectedly good: 2015, Todd Bowles' first season. Came out of nowhere.  Fitzmagic clicked with Decker and Marshall, and the Jets put up the most points since the Favre season.  But it was all downhill from there.

In looking up team history and records the scary thing is that this past season's 7-9 record is the second most wins the Jets have had in the past 6 years!  Sheesh.  It's also the first time in 35 years that the Jets have had that exact record of 7-9.  35 years!  Weird.

• Sympathy 1

21 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Unexpected bad: 2012....that team still should have won 8 games.  The O and D both soured, the Jets failed to score 300 points in a season for the time in 5 years.  They also gave up 375 points....the most since 1996 under Kotite.  Yikes!

Unexpectedly good: 2015, Todd Bowles' first season. Came out of nowhere.  Fitzmagic clicked with Decker and Marshall, and the Jets put up the most points since the Favre season.  But it was all downhill from there.

In looking up team history and records the scary thing is that this past season's 7-9 record is the second most wins the Jets have had in the past 6 years!  Sheesh.  It's also the first time in 35 years that the Jets have had that exact record of 7-9.  35 years!  Weird.

2012 was one of the worst seasons in recent memory, but hardly unexpected. The offense was completely depleted by then and the defense got old. Losing Revis and Holmes for the season compounded things along with the Tebow side-show/butt fumble. 

46 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Unexpected good: ‘09

We had two different 0-3 streaks that season, and iirc, at one point Rex actually said in a post-game press conference (after a loss to the falcons or rams) that they were eliminated from contention. In reality, their next loss would be in Indy after being up at halftime and probably being a Shonn Green injury away from the SB. 

Unexpected bad: 2004 (Penny was supposedly finally healthy going into that year) and 2008 (10-3, sigh) are honorable mentions, but 2011 takes the cake. Coming off back to back conference title berths, Sanchez was supposed to take the next step. Instead, victor cruz salsas 99 yards and it’s game, set, match for the entire decade of jets football.

You're blaming the wrong receiver for 2011. The problem was we had 24 or so QB surrounded by Plaxico who Rex picked up from jail, Derrick Mason who got kicked out of Baltimore for going after his QB and the always stable Santonio Holmes. You couldn't screw up the huddle for a young QB worse if you tried and Rex/Tanny I at least think weren't trying. It was a sociopath dream team

• Upvote 2

I never truly-truly believed in Mark Sanchez, so while the 2012-and on years were disappointing it was like i wasn't surprised.

I remember being really bummed by 2003. 

I was all in on Favre down the stretch.... the highest highs and the lowest lows that year. 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Paradis said:

I never truly-truly believed in Mark Sanchez, so while the 2012-and on years were disappointing it was like i wasn't surprised.

I remember being really bummed by 2003. 

I was all in on Favre down the stretch.... the highest highs and the lowest lows that year. 

2008 was quite the ride. They started out 1-2 losing the Cassel at home in SOJ fashion and then getting boat raced out in San Diego the following week. Then they proceed to win 7/8 including dominant performances against Cards, Rams, and the undefeated Titans on the road. From there they limp to a 1-4 finish and play horribly the last five weeks of the year. 

• Upvote 1

I don't know how we can top 2008 as the most unexpectedly bad. With all the hype around Favre, going 8-3...a loaded roster, with a seemingly talented head coach...everything lined up perfectly. And then......

Made even worse with Favre ******* off to Minnesota the very next season and leading them to the NFC championship. Favre should be on that 'least favorite Jet' poll. **** him.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, SAR I said:

Unexpected good:  2015

Unexpected bad:  2003

SAR I

2015 wasn't good, that Buffalo loss is probably the worst non playoff loss in team history.

Unexpected good: 2009

With a rookie HC and QB no one expected the Jets to compete especially after they failed a year earlier with a HOF QB, weaker schedule and no Brady.

Unexpected bad: 1992

Coming off 1991 playoff app most expected the Jets to be a playoff team or at least a playoff contender.  They went 5-0 in preseason then won 4 games in the regular season.  This season also saw career ending injuries for Al Toon and Dennis Byrd.  I believe this was the worst season in franchise history.

• Upvote 1

1997 (Parcells first season) is the most unexpectedly good season. The team was 1-15 the previous year and came out of the gates tourching the Seahawks in Seattle. We could not believe our eyes.  Certainly one of the most disappointing ends of a season in Detroit - but going 9-7 after 1-15 is one of the greatest turnarounds in NFL history.

And obviously 99 is the most disapointing. It's not even a debate.  But I will give honorable mention to to the 1992 season. Theteam went 5-0 in the preseason, Naegle looked legit and some had us going to the SuperBowl if you can believe it.  The Jets went 4-12. They won more games in August than they did the entire season!

• Upvote 2

Good - 2006.  The team was not considered very good going into the season.

Bad - 1980. (showing my age) Under Walt Micheals, team was steadily improving - 3-11 in '77; 8-8 in '78; 8-8 in '79.  In 1979 the team played very well late in the season winning their final 3 games and knocking a very good NE team out of the playoffs with a big win in their final home game. They were considered legitimate contenders going into 1980 only to finish 4-12.  Richard Todd had a horrible season leading the NFL interceptions. It turned out to be a brief blip in the overall progress of a young team as they made the playoffs in 1981 and got to the AFC Chanmpionship game in 1982.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

Good - 2009.  While the team was talented, we were starting a rookie QB, didn't expect a trip to the AFC Title game in Mark's first season.

Bad - 1980. (showing my age) Under Walt Micheals, team was steadily improving - 3-11 in '77; 8-8 in '78; 8-8 in '79.  In 1979 the team played very well late in the season winning their final 3 games and knocking a very good NE team out of the playoffs with a big win in their final home game. They were considered legitimate contenders going into 1980 only to finish 4-12.  Richard Todd had a horrible season leading the NFL interceptions. It turned out to be a brief blip in the overall progress of a young team as they made the playoffs in 1981 and got to the AFC Chanmpionship game in 1982.

Which reminds me.. 1983 was also a tremendous disappointment after going to the AFC Championship. They were considered favorites to win the AFC that season and had a horrendous season (also the rumors and and eventual decision to move to Jersey mid season hung over the team).  Bad bad year.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, y2k8 said:

Which reminds me.. 1983 was also a tremendous disappointment after going to the AFC Championship. They were considered favorites to win the AFC that season and had a horrendous season (also the rumors and and eventual decision to move to Jersey mid season hung over the team).  Bad bad year.

1983 was a bad year also.  They also had a new HC as Michaels was replaced by Walton, which is a reason why the team regressed.

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

2015 wasn't good, that Buffalo loss is probably the worst non playoff loss in team history.

No one expected Geno Smith to go down and Ryan Fitzpatrick to set the team record for TD's in a season, to go 10-6, and to beat the Patriots in a December OT nailbiter.  2015 ended badly (what Jets season doesn't) but it was a surprising and fun season.

50 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

The 2008 Favre team should have won the division going away and would have been favored to make the AFC Championship Game.  So 2009 wasn't some sort of shock.  We had a very good playoff-caliber Mangini core already.

SAR I

• Upvote 3

12 hours ago, munchmemory said:

That was not Chad.  Vinny ruptured his achilles.  Agree that after the "almost" 1998 season, 1999 was a huge disappointment.

1999 was Vinnys and the achilles, Chad was 2003, he had it right I think

31 minutes ago, SAR I said:

No one expected Geno Smith to go down and Ryan Fitzpatrick to set the team record for TD's in a season, to go 10-6, and to beat the Patriots in a December OT nailbiter.  2015 ended badly (what Jets season doesn't) but it was a surprising and fun season.

The 2008 Favre team should have won the division going away and would have been favored to make the AFC Championship Game.  So 2009 wasn't some sort of shock.  We had a very good playoff-caliber Mangini core already.

SAR I

All the fun was thrown out the window with that Buffalo loss.  Fitz played well, the WRs were incredible, the D was solid but all against a very weak schedule and they couldn't beat a beat up biggest team with nothing to play for in week 17.

2009 was surprising to get to the playoffs and make the AFC Championship Game.  They couldn't win with Favre, a very weak schedule and Brady out so to do it with a rookie QB and a rookie HC was surprising.

Good......1998.....thought we would be good, not 12-4 good.

Bad...Easy one, as mentioned above,1980.Was our 2nd year of tix, and the team was ready. Jimmy the Greek picked us to go to the SuperBowl. The  season started at home vs the Colts and Bert Jones. We fell behind 14-0, but came back to tie it on a Darrell Ray int return. Lost 17-14, and lost 4 more to start out 0-5. We beat the Oilers later on at home, and they were really good, with Stabler and some guy named Campbell?We blew a big lead, but Leahy won it in OT. Finished 4-12, winning the last game vs Dolphins in the game with no announcers. It dropped us from 2 to 3 in the draft, and cost us LT. Doesn’t get any worse than that.

Recency Bias, but here are two that come to mind.

I am going to go with 2009 as unexpected good season.  So much about that late season/playoff run was unexpected.  Going into the season with a rookie QB and rookie HC.  Falling to 6-7.  Rex declaring the season was over.  Getting every break imaginable in week 16, including Colts pulling Manning in the 2nd half.  So much had to go right for us to get into the playoffs.  Even after the AFCCG loss, I still felt great about that team and what I thought the future held.

2005 as unexpected bad.  After almost beating Pitt in the playoffs the season before, I thought we had a legit shot at the SB in 05.  THen we got blown out week 1 in KC.  Chad and Fiedler go down, I htink it was week 3.  And the season was over.

1 hour ago, nyjunc said:

With a rookie HC and QB no one expected the Jets to compete especially after they failed a year earlier with a HOF QB, weaker schedule and no Brady.

Unexpected bad: 1992

Coming off 1991 playoff app most expected the Jets to be a playoff team or at least a playoff contender.  They went 5-0 in preseason then won 4 games in the regular season.  This season also saw career ending injuries for Al Toon and Dennis Byrd.  I believe this was the worst season in franchise history.

Right there with you on 1992.  After that preseason, while never arrogant about the Jets, I was really optimistic that this was going to start a good run.  A bit surprised this year didn't get more attention in this thread.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, y2k8 said:

1997 (Parcells first season) is the most unexpectedly good season. The team was 1-15 the previous year and came out of the gates tourching the Seahawks in Seattle. We could not believe our eyes.  Certainly one of the most disappointing ends of a season in Detroit - but going 9-7 after 1-15 is one of the greatest turnarounds in NFL history.

And obviously 99 is the most disapointing. It's not even a debate.  But I will give honorable mention to to the 1992 season. Theteam went 5-0 in the preseason, Naegle looked legit and some had us going to the SuperBowl if you can believe it.  The Jets went 4-12. They won more games in August than they did the entire season!

But Chaddy cakes took the 1-15 Fins to 11-5 and won the East in 2008..B)

6 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Hey, what's up, Jet Nut?  Nice to see you.

Yeah, you're right.  I misread the initial post from @GreekJet.  My error.  Sorry about that GJ.

Getting better, it was a bitch but slowly getting there, thanks man, appreciate it

And not a problem, I try and erase those bad years totally from my memory.

• Upvote 1