Looks like Avery Williamson is staying?

2 hours ago, Jetster said:

Saw an article about the Jets keeping him. Makes sense as we're not at the cap. Always good to have good players. Mosely stays healthy Jets will have one of the best LB cores in the league. 

maybe.  there doesn't seem to be any reason to release him unless he gets beaten out.  they still have some pretty good cap room.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Jetster said:

Saw an article about the Jets keeping him. Makes sense as we're not at the cap. Always good to have good players. Mosely stays healthy Jets will have one of the best LB cores in the league. 

Can he play Strong Safety?  

Asking for a friend...

• Haha 3

37 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

I would not cut Burgess. He was very solid last year and we still need depth at ILB as shown last year. To be honest I expect Owunasor's role to be very similar to Jamal's.

Someone has to go.  If its not Burgess, then who?  Neville Hewitt would come with a $1M dead cap hit, so I wouldn't cut him.  That just leaves Blake Cashman as the only other option.

The only people who ever said he was leaving were fans on a message board playing amateur GM or capologist.

Who takes them seriously?

Mosely, Williamson and Adams are 3 weapons on this defense. If QW steps up, we’ll have elite talent on every level.

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1

10 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Very good player as is mosley, saying that ilbs do not move the needle and going from great play to good is not hard.  See last year.

Nope, they don't.  But we're stuck with Mosley (financially) until 2022 whether we like it or not.  And that keeps us in, primarily, 3-4 looks on defense, no matter how much we'd like to see a lot more 4-3 looks.

So we might as well double down on that "position of strength" for the time being, at least until it comes time to acquire/pay a quality pass rusher/CB.

1 hour ago, johnnysd said:

I would not cut Burgess. He was very solid last year and we still need depth at ILB as shown last year. To be honest I expect Owunasor's role to be very similar to Jamal's.

I wouldn't cut Burgess either. The guy did a great job last year, tackles everything, adds valuable depth, and is an asset on special teams. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Barry McCockinner said:

corps not cores

Not to be a stickler but you can say it both ways. If you are talking about the 'core' of the group- i.e. the center from which you build around- then that would make sense. If you are talking about the 'corps'- i.e. group or sub-group, like an army corps, but in this case referring to depth, that would also make sense. 

54 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Someone has to go.  If its not Burgess, then who?  Neville Hewitt would come with a $1M dead cap hit, so I wouldn't cut him.  That just leaves Blake Cashman as the only other option.

I think we could very well see Wesco and Cashman left off the 53 man. That would leave just Austin, Edoga, and QW left in 2018 draft after 1 season. Getting Kyle Phillips as an UDFA helps. 

• Upvote 2

55 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Its an interesting question. I don;t think Hewitt will be cut but not b/c of the cap hit. I think it will all come down to competition, health, and positional flexibility. Can they play OLB? Can they contribute on specials? Maybe they carry less OLBs, knowing that someone like Peanut can fill that role? I also would not be surprised if this was one of the positions where the Jets took advantage of the extra roster spots this year.

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, GreekJet said:

I think we could very well see Wesco and Cashman left off the 53 man. That would leave just Austin, Edoga, and QW left in 2018 draft after 1 season. Getting Kyle Phillips as an UDFA helps. 

True. And we shall see how QW pans out and I don't have a lot of faith in Edoga. 

However, you expect 2-3 starters out of your draft (assuming you have all of your picks) and the Jets pretty much got that with QW and Austin already showing that they belong in the NFL and barring a sophomore slump should at the very least be capable starters. Edoga struggled but was also put in an unenviable position having to go out and start his rookie year on the right side, then on the left with a terrible surround cast (marred by injuries) and then got hurt himself. So while I don;t have a ton of faith in him, he could still develop into a starter given a full offseason to recover and a fresh season to work on his craft. 

And like you said Kyle Phillips as an UDFA helps. 

47 minutes ago, PepPep said:

Not to be a stickler but you can say it both ways. If you are talking about the 'core' of the group- i.e. the center from which you build around- then that would make sense. If you are talking about the 'corps'- i.e. group or sub-group, like an army corps, but in this case referring to depth, that would also make sense. 

When you're referring to the linebacker corps, cores is incorrect. You can write it both ways if you want, but you'll be wrong if you write linebacker cores. Also, rule 14.

19 minutes ago, PepPep said:

However, you expect 2-3 starters out of your draft (assuming you have all of your picks) and the Jets pretty much got that with QW and Austin already showing that they belong in the NFL and barring a sophomore slump should at the very least be capable starters.

Blessuan Austin's spot as a starter is tenuous at best.  If he does start this year, I imagine it'll be the last year he holds that job, as Douglas will undoubtedly be looking for bigtime upgrades at CB.

And when you're picking # 3 overall, just getting 1-2 starters out of the deal isn't enough.  

Nothing we can do about it now, and the GM who made those picks is gone.  But still.  I don't think we should be looking back on that 2018 draft with much positivity.  Especially since Quinnen Williams hasn't shown much more than run-stuffing abilities to date as yet another high pick DT.  

2 hours ago, PepPep said:

i prefer corpse 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

There are extra roster spots this year, and Id likely keep him over Hewitt

5 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

There are extra roster spots this year, and Id likely keep him over Hewitt

Extra roster spots that should go to WRs, CBs and OL, not ILBs.  Keep Burgess and it means Cashman gets cut.  There's no justification for keeping all of them.

20 hours ago, Jetster said:

That combo has the potential to be the best linebacker duo in football. Williamson is a poor man's upper echelon linebacker. Moseley might very well be the best player on the team. Remember that was a debate before the beginning of last season. Before Moseley lost the season due to injury, many here believed he was a better player than Jamal Adams. I am so looking forward to seeing them play together.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, NYJ1 said:

That combo has the potential to be the best linebacker duo in football. Williamson is a poor man's upper echelon linebacker. Moseley might very well be the best player on the team. Remember that was a debate before the beginning of last season. Before Moseley lost the season due to injury, many here believed he was a better player than Jamal Adams. I am so looking forward to seeing them play together.

Mosely DOMINATED that 1st half, he was everywhere. I was like, holy sh*t this guy is everything he's cracked up to be. Even on the play he got hurt I couldn't believe he was breaking up a play 35 yards downfield in the Endzone. Williamson was out best LB in 2018, this duo with the rest of this crew are going to be awesome. We have a top Dline, if QW picks it up these guys are going to be able to flow wherever they want to make plays. I can't see any team running on this front 7. 

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Extra roster spots that should go to WRs, CBs and OL, not ILBs.  Keep Burgess and it means Cashman gets cut.  There's no justification for keeping all of them.

I would probably cut Cashman over Burgess because Cashman has not shown he can stay healthy, but also you have to realize that Williamson is in his last year likely with the Jets and Moseley probably has at most 2.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

I would probably cut Cashman over Burgess because Cashman has not shown he can stay healthy, but also you have to realize that Williamson is in his last year likely with the Jets and Moseley probably has at most 2.

Agreed. 

Williamson's final season here is this season unless maybe he shows he's still a force like he was in 2018.  Financially we can't cut Mosley until after 2021.  I'd say he's gone in 2022 and then we'll be primarily running 4-3 defensive fronts.