Adam Gase Approval Rating heading into Training Camp 2020

Adam Gase Approval Rating  

119 members have voted

1. 1. Do you Approve the job Adam Gase is doing as HC of NYJ?

• Approve
    • Disapprove

No, not a fan, although that's really because I was adamantly opposed to the hire from day one.  With that said, at this point it obviously makes complete sense to give him the year and then reevaluate, just as long as he isn't given excuses if he oversees another failed season (as has been repeatedly done for the entirety of his coaching career).

I'm certainly hoping this is the year he finally puts it all together and shows some real strides in coaching, but regardless, now's definitely not the time to be getting too worked up over it.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 2

Hmmm....I gave this some thought before voting.  I weighed the Jets atrocious start to the year and their extremely low offensive rankings against their solid second half performance, how much more comfortable Darnold got in the system, and how the Jets overcame a horrid OLine and a ridiculous volume of injuries to reluctantly vote "Approve."

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

21 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Disapprove.

But he got us rid of Mike Maccagnan and replaced him with Joe Douglas, and for that I'll be eternally grateful.

Just wish he was better at coaching football.

The problem is, even that's more an indictment of Chris Johnson than anything else.

Adam Gase's inability to work with someone after only a few months wouldn't be seen as particularly celebratory if we didn't already despise the other person.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

Incomplete. I don’t want to judge him on hear say from another organization. The team wasn’t all that talented and played without their QB for a quarter of the season- even some games he did play he wasn’t 100%.  yet he nearly finished 500.

Having said that... I’m still not ready to say approve yet either.. I want to see what he does if the QB stays healthy and how he navigates a very tough schedule.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

He's bad and his long term record says he is bad.   Now some may argue he is not terrible but he sure as heck is not good and we should be looking for a good coach.

His being bad is totally based on the offensive rankings of an offensive coach in four years of head coaching.

A good coach gets at more out of his situation than he is handed a bad one does not.

The defense was talent poor and injured, Gregg Williams got something out of them.

In the wise words of Seuss  "Stink Stank, Stunk"

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, BurnleyJet said:

I’m willing to give him another go.

Same here.  It's not like we have another choice.  Part of my criticism of him is that I don't think he's shown the ability to "do more with less" (and I saw a Dolphin fan say the same thing after he left Miami).  However, if the team is improved this year (e.g. Darnold healthy and OL much improved), I'm holding out hope that he can at least win with a solid team (and potentially very good defense - though I say that every year about our defense).

If he can't win this year, though, he needs to be shown the door.  And maybe have his hand held on the way out the door since who knows what his eyes are focusing on.

• Upvote 1

Anybody who predicted before last season started that Darnold would get mono raise your hand.

If you didn’t also predict all the injuries the Jets would have, take your hand down.

If your hand is still raised, and knowing both those things, did you still predict 7 wins? If not, take down your hand.

Now, if your hand is till raised after answering those questions, you get to say you disapprove of the job Gase did last season.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Just now, Trolly McTrollface said:

Anybody who predicted before last season started that Darnold would get mono raise your hand.

If you didn’t predict all the injuries the Jets would have, take your hand down.

If your hand is still raised, tell me if knowing both those things, would you have predicted 7 wins? If not, take down your hand.

Now, if your hand is till raised after answering those questions, you get to say you disapprove of the job Gase did last season.

(Hand raised).  I even started the "I predict Darnold will get mono" thread the day before the season.  You can look it up.

2 hours ago, Bleedin Green said:

The problem is, even that's more an indictment of Chris Johnson than anything else.

Adam Gase's inability to work with someone after only a few months wouldn't be seen as particularly celebratory if we didn't already despise the other person.

Of course.  Ownership has always been the biggest problem by far.  Hopefully, Douglas is so good that they just hand him the keys.  

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Disapprove.

But he got us rid of Mike Maccagnan and replaced him with Joe Douglas, and for that I'll be eternally grateful.

You keep say this over and over, and I can’t understand why.

Its almost like you know it’s a fact, rather than something you think happened.

It’s strange, because not one person in the Jets organization has ever said it is true. In fact, when asked, the owner has denied it.

Serious question. Did I miss the part where Macc, Gase, or CJ said it’s what really happened?

• Thumb Down 1

I was not in favor of the hire (because of his losing record as a HC), then 1-7 record and the dismal showing of the O.  The biggest issue was in one of the games - I do not recall which one - SAM came over to the sideline "flustered" seeking advice and AG says, "you know what to do go score."  he didn't BTW...  Then seeing him sitting on the bench - BY HIMSELF not once but a couple of times - seemly trying to figure out what his scheme wasn't working instead of trying to coach up his players (like I have seen BB do many times)  just reinforced my concerns,,,

BUT the team stayed together and posted a 6-2 record so as others have stated, lets see what he can do with a "certainly" better roster on O.  If the the O is still statistically a bottom feeder,,, then he has to go , no ifs and or buts... 

• Post of the Week 1

It also bears mentioning that sometimes when you fire your HC you don't always get a better HC. Rex Ryan, for all of his problems, was a BETTER HC than Todd Bowles will ever be. Jet nation became enamored with the idea of firing Rex Ryan for some strange reason. They actually believed there were better candidates out there. When toilet was hired, just about everybody here celebrated Woody's genius. Lol 

Fast forward to today and one thing is VERY obvious..... MANY HC's are better than toilet. Adam Gase is better by a landslide. The Jets got better at both GM and HC in the last year. 

• Upvote 1

I acknowledge that the Jets are better off for the future because of the presence of Adam Gase but I am of the opinion he's a terrible leader, who can not adjust and/or handle adversity well and has produced embarrassing results on the side of the ball he's supposed to be an expert in.  For those reasons, I disapprove but I also think he deserves this year for salvaging last season and ridding us of Mac, so for those reasons I approve.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

19 minutes ago, JiF said:

I acknowledge that the Jets are better off for the future because of the presence of Adam Gase but I am of the opinion he's a terrible leader, who can not adjust and/or handle adversity well and has produced embarrassing results on the side of the ball he's supposed to be an expert in.  For those reasons, I disapprove but I also think he deserves this year for salvaging last season and ridding us of Mac, so for those reasons I approve.

I disapproved for this exact reasoning, other than JiF approving.  

I don’t think he works out.  I would love to see the Jets and Gase do well this year, and I think the next HC hire will be based on other factors. 

he cannot have games like last year where his bad roster was completely unprepared.  

• Post of the Week 1

24 minutes ago, afjetsfan said:

delete.  Just out of curiosity why can't we delete a post?  Seems like an easy add to the board.

Even better, we should all have the ability to delete certain posters posts.  That would be fun for about 5 minutes on a rainy day.

• Haha 2

I approve as of now. 

I wasn't against his hiring, I didn't know alot about him before. I just didn't want McCarthy here at all so I was ok with Gase giving it a go. I don't give 2 chits about what his record was on other teams, it's irrelevant to his job today coaching the Jets. 

He simply needs to put an offense out there that can function and compete. Score points and let the D do the heavy lifting and I'm good. This should be realistic now (as opposed to last year) because there are upgrades to the Oline. Basic offensive football should be attainable with an average or above line, so let's just start there and branch out.

I'm not asking for top 10 anything, or highlight reel domination. Just basic football that gives us a foundation and a chance. I think Gase is fully capable of that.

Essentially what everyone here is saying is that Adam Gase has a track record of being an awful head coach and being especially bad at coaching offense, and has done nothing in 16 games with the Jets to disprove it - but because Mac was a disaster that CJ didn’t move on from, you approve of Gase.

The logic pfail on crediting Gase for being a snake ? and claiming that “we don’t know what we have yet because of injuries” is so ******* idiotic it makes me question how some of you can walk and chew gum at the same time. 

This goon wants to be known as a QB whisperer and some sort of genius on offense. Well, average points scored in the league last year was around 22 ppg - the Jets offense (not including D or ST scores) only hit that number 3 times all year! I’ll give him credit for being able to scheme the “first 15” as the Jets were able to move the ball and sometimes score on their first possession, but his offenses got worse as the game went on. And that was a red flag on him from his time with the dolphins! The guy was never a good in game coordinator or coach. Whenever there was resistance or adversity, his offenses always seemed to fold up, and he’d sit on the bench trying to figure out what the heck was going wrong.

As a HC last year, the guy started out 1-7 in part because Sam was out, and he couldn’t even get a first down with his hand picked backup. So how the **** does he then get credit for wins when Sam came back?! The constant in the wins and losses were Gase, the variable was Sam. Take him out, Jets suck. Put him in, they still suck, but to a lesser degree. Gase should get no credit for that, especially since he’s the HC that gave 3 different teams their first win of the season last year! The Browns were 0-1, the dolphins were 0-7, and the bengals were ******* 0-11. Only the browns game does Gase get the “no Darnold” excuse. The Bengals disaster was right smack in the middle of this “6-2”. 

Speaking of 6-2, Gase has also made it clear he has nothing to do with the defensive side of the ball - so when you morons want to credit Gase for “6-2”, remember that they played the easiest schedule in the league over those last 8 games, and the defense carried them to 3 of those wins. And if it were for the defensive stand against the cowboys, Gase would have lost that one too.

And I’ll quote SOJ here because he summed up a big part of my frustrations perfectly:

11 hours ago, SOJ said:

The biggest issue was in one of the games - I do not recall which one - SAM came over to the sideline "flustered" seeking advice and AG says, "you know what to do go score."  he didn't BTW...  Then seeing him sitting on the bench - BY HIMSELF not once but a couple of times - seemly trying to figure out why his scheme wasn't working instead of trying to coach up his players (like I have seen BB do many times)  just reinforced my concerns

tldr: Disapprove because he sucks, and has proven it year after year for 7 straight years. Look at his track record: his only good seasons as a HC or OC were with one of the GOAT QBs, and even then, when adversity hit, his offenses folded. No different on the Jets.

• Upvote 2