Adam Gase Approval Rating heading into Training Camp 2020

Adam Gase Approval Rating  

119 members have voted

1. 1. Do you Approve the job Adam Gase is doing as HC of NYJ?

• Approve
    • Disapprove

Personally, I do not believe Gase is a good Coach.  I do not believe he will succeed here.  In my view, any time with him is wasted time.

But he has every opportunity to prove me wrong, because he will be our Head Coach, at minimum, thru the end of the 2021 season.

• Upvote 1

Not really a fan but hoping to be proven wrong.

At least he helped to get us Joe Douglas.  To what degree he influenced this decision is unclear but that one at least is a solid mark in the plus column.

<edited to add>

The long term danger here is that he is not good but JD improves the roster to a degree which leaves us with an improved W/L record and that will be enough to keep Gase here a year or two longer than he would be without that.  Hopefully I am wrong and he can be a winning coach in this league.

1 hour ago, varjet said:

I disapproved for this exact reasoning, other than JiF approving.  

I don’t think he works out.  I would love to see the Jets and Gase do well this year, and I think the next HC hire will be based on other factors. 

he cannot have games like last year where his bad roster was completely unprepared.  

If I were a betting man, I'd be betting a new Head Coach with in the next 2 years...but again, I do think he earned this year and unless there was some super sexy upgrade out there, I dont think firing him after 1 disastrous season that you have to credit him for somewhat salvaging would be the right thing to do .

• Upvote 1

I am not willing to judge him by last season or the talking head, know nothing, so-called media experts.  So, right now - I approve.

On the other hand, I do have concerns.  I just hope we get a chance to play the 16 games and debate this every week  :)

45 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Speaking of 6-2, Gase has also made it clear he has nothing to do with the defensive side of the ball - so when you morons want to credit Gase for “6-2”, remember that they played the easiest schedule in the league over those last 8 games, and the defense carried them to 3 of those wins. And if it were for the defensive stand against the cowboys, Gase would have lost that one too.

This is the part that makes the whole 6-2/7-9 argument meaningless when looked at in a vacuum, because as you said it's well documented that Gase has no involvement with the defense whatsoever.  Meanwhile, the defense was just as torn apart (if not more) by injuries than the offense, yet performed infinitely better and ultimately carried this team last year.

That's not to mention, for all the offensive injury excuses, it's conveniently disregarded that a number of them proved to be beneficial to the team, considering Gase was so incompetent as to not realize that there were numerous instances of the backups actually being better than those he insisted on continuing to push out there as starters despite their awful play, namely every OL other than Beachum.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Trolly McTrollface said:

Anybody who predicted before last season started that Darnold would get mono raise your hand.

If you didn’t also predict all the injuries the Jets would have, take your hand down.

If your hand is still raised, and knowing both those things, did you still predict 7 wins? If not, take down your hand.

Now, if your hand is till raised after answering those questions, you get to say you disapprove of the job Gase did last season.

Injuries and illness are not predictable.  That is the nature of football.  Being able to lean on excuses to keep your job (and approval rating?) is ridiculous.  This entire 2020 situation is a built in excuse.  It is also an opportunity.   

I don't see how anybody can have an issue with him if they didn't want him fired at the end of the season.  I am concerned with his coaching, but I am fairly happy with the roster changes.  We will see how it goes on the field.  It should be interesting. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Personally, I do not believe Gase is a good Coach.  I do not believe he will succeed here.  In my view, any time with him is wasted time.

But he has every opportunity to prove me wrong, because he will be our Head Coach, at minimum, thru the end of the 2021 season.

Agreed.  The shame is that we're wasting Darnold's cheap contract years with Gase (who I also don't think is a good coach but I guess we'll see).

14 minutes ago, Kolchak said:

I have a call in to Peyton Manning.  I'll vote after he gets back to me.

OT: just have to say Kolchack is a great character.

Kolchack: The Night Stalker  one of the most underrated over forgotten TV shows ... A travesty it only ran 20 episodes.

Sorry don't mind me .....carry on.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

I've said this before and I will say it again. If you look at the NFL people who have worked with Gase, they have all had nothing but praise for him.

Nick Saban, Mike Martz, John Fox, Peyton Manning, Steve Mariucci, Josh McDaniels and the list goes on.

I have never read anywhere where somebody was quoted saying our head coach was an offensive Guru or an offensive genius. I believe Mike Martz said he has a brilliant mind for football that's the closest I've been able to find.

I happen to like Adam Gase in his interviews and press conferences.

I think many of you are jumping ship way too early with preconceived notions mostly because of the stupid eyes thing at his first press conference.

Yes he held the team together last year and that is very important. Yes we have Greg Williams and Joe Douglas and it looks like one of the Johnsons finally got it right.

I've been watching this team for a long time and the most telling sign that Adam Gase is the right guy, is the subtle respect we are suddenly getting from Belichick and Josh McDaniels. Suddenly they're trading with us? Check out Belichick's interviews about Gase. I will speak for myself when I tell you that instead of listening to the opinion of some fair-weathered fans I'll listen to the NFL people .

• Post of the Week 1

Oh yeah I would also like to add that Adam Gase was handed an entire jalopy of a first football season with the New York Jets. The grandest stage of them all in media, New York City

We went through the draft and then fired our GM, then our Star Quarterback, the main reason Gase came here, gets mono and is out for the first quarter of the season. Then we have an unprecedented amount of injuries and now he's dealing with covid-19 and a shortened season!? LOL

How about we give this guy a f****** break!? If anything we're lucky that he didn't abandon ship and just quit! I'm sure he didn't foresee any of this happening and this was not the plan LOL.

• Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, GKnight83 said:

I am not willing to judge him by last season or the talking head, know nothing, so-called media experts. 

So we can't evaluate him by his time in Miami.

And we can't evaluate him based on his first year here.

So, by your logic, he's basically a rookie Head Coach.  Cool.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Greenbloodblitz said:

Oh yeah I would also like to add that Adam Gase was handed an entire jalopy of a first football season with the New York Jets. The grandest stage of them all in media, New York City

We went through the draft and then fired our GM, then our Star Quarterback, the main reason Gase came here, gets mono and is out for the first quarter of the season. Then we have an unprecedented amount of injuries and now he's dealing with covid-19 and a shortened season!? LOL

How about we give this guy a f****** break!? If anything we're lucky that he didn't abandon ship and just quit! I'm sure he didn't foresee any of this happening and this was not the plan LOL.

Are you and @SAR I practicing social distancing when you guys hang out with Gase?? Seriously, I agree with both of your above posts. He has done far more good than bad here in the short time he's been the HC.

• Upvote 1

Gase's 2020 Excuses

• Covid 19
  • Lack of training camp
  • Difficult schedule
  • Too many new players
  • Jamal talks too much
  • Lingering effects of Sam's 2019 mono
  • Didn't play the Giants, Redskins, meaningless Buffalo game, UDFA Devlin Hodges-led Steelers
  • Doesn't have Ryan Tannehill anymore
  • Doesn't have DeVante Parker anymore

6 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I said I am not willing to evaluate him on the items specified.  You, sir, can do whatever it is you want  :)

• Haha 2

Gase is addicted to a particular system.  That fact alone, guarantees sustained failure.  Not even mentioning his personality and how he alienates players.   If you win, people respect you and follow your lead even if you are a doosh.  Gase wont win because he's not the capable leader that can adapt, improvise and create as needed and dictated by his assets.

What we have here is Adam "SQUARE PEG IN ROUND HOLE" Gase...

1 hour ago, Greenbloodblitz said:

I've said this before and I will say it again. If you look at the NFL people who have worked with Gase, they have all had nothing but praise for him.

Nick Saban, Mike Martz, John Fox, Peyton Manning, Steve Mariucci, Josh McDaniels and the list goes on.

I have never read anywhere where somebody was quoted saying our head coach was an offensive Guru or an offensive genius. I believe Mike Martz said he has a brilliant mind for football that's the closest I've been able to find.

I happen to like Adam Gase in his interviews and press conferences.

I think many of you are jumping ship way too early with preconceived notions mostly because of the stupid eyes thing at his first press conference.

Yes he held the team together last year and that is very important. Yes we have Greg Williams and Joe Douglas and it looks like one of the Johnsons finally got it right.

I've been watching this team for a long time and the most telling sign that Adam Gase is the right guy, is the subtle respect we are suddenly getting from Belichick and Josh McDaniels. Suddenly they're trading with us? Check out Belichick's interviews about Gase. I will speak for myself when I tell you that instead of listening to the opinion of some fair-weathered fans I'll listen to the NFL people .

Bowles was, and still is, very highly regarded throughout the league, and was actually the first Jets' head coach Belichick had shown respect towards.  Still, none of it made a damn bit of a difference.

Not to mention, the others you mentioned have a pretty strong track record of not having a particularly great grasp on head-coaching themselves.

It's one thing to take the perspective of others into consideration as one piece of many, but it is hardly enough to outweigh a complete lack of any success at the job itself.

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I hated the hire the when it was made and thought it was the worst mistake the Jets organization has made in twenty years. Nothing he's done since then has changed my mind. I think he's the worst coach we've had since I started following the team.

I agree.

55 minutes ago, BettyBoop said:

Gase's 2020 Excuses

• Covid 19
  • Lack of training camp
  • Difficult schedule
  • Too many new players
  • Jamal talks too much
  • Lingering effects of Sam's 2019 mono
  • Didn't play the Giants, Redskins, meaningless Buffalo game, UDFA Devlin Hodges-led Steelers
  • Doesn't have Ryan Tannehill anymore
  • Doesn't have DeVante Parker anymore

Hey! He also no longer had Kenyan Drake!

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

He's a head coach handed the worst possible assignment in the biggest media market in the world and figured out a way to turn a 1-7 turd not of his making into a 6-2 finish where he showed great leadership and creativity.

If the NFL gave awards for Second Half of The Season Coach of The Year, Adam Gase would have won it.

SAR I

25 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I hated the hire the when it was made and thought it was the worst mistake the Jets organization has made in twenty years. Nothing he's done since then has changed my mind. I think he's the worst coach we've had since I started following the team.

Based on? 

13 minutes ago, SAR I said:

He's a head coach handed the worst possible assignment in the biggest media market in the world and figured out a way to turn a 1-7 turd not of his making into a 6-2 finish where he showed great leadership and creativity.

If the NFL gave awards for Second Half of The Season Coach of The Year, Adam Gase would have won it.

SAR I

What was the difference between 1-7 and 6-2? I’ll give you a hint: it wasn’t Adam Gase. 

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

Bowles was, and still is, very highly regarded throughout the league, and was actually the first Jets' head coach Belichick had shown respect towards.  Still, none of it made a damn bit of a difference.

Not to mention, the others you mentioned have a pretty strong track record of not having a particularly great grasp on head-coaching themselves.

It's one thing to take the perspective of others into consideration as one piece of many, but it is hardly enough to outweigh a complete lack of any success at the job itself.

The thing that concerns me more is how inept his offenses have been for an offensive guru.  Honestly, I think that speaks to the bigger question about is coaching ability.  Taking over the Dolphins and the Jets arent going to do most coaches any favors but the inability to be just at basic competence level on the side of the ball he's supposed to excel is alarming.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, JiF said:

The thing that concerns me more is how inept his offenses have been for an offensive guru.  Honestly, I think that speaks to the bigger question about is coaching ability.  Taking over the Dolphins and the Jets arent going to do most coaches any favors but the inability to be just at basic competence level on the side of the ball he's supposed to excel is alarming.

Name me a single offense in NFL history that has not been average at best with a backup or below backup level QB.

11 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

What was the difference between 1-7 and 6-2? I’ll give you a hint: it wasn’t Adam Gase. 

It was entirely Adam Gase.  He held that team together, offense and defense.  He figured out a way to generate offense with the worst OL in the league and the worst running game in the NFL.  An amazing accomplishment.  Way to go, Adam.  

SAR I

Gase is not an awful head coach.  His record and optics is that of a lower-end of average coach. He has the opportunity now to progress, just like many NFL coaches have, such as Pete Carroll and BB.  The opportunity is his for the taking.

But as we all know, where there is smoke, there is fire.  He is a smart guy.  Something goes on with his leadership, flexibility and ability to get along with the players that gets in his way of ultimately succeeding.  

I would have hoped and expected that Gase availed himself to some type of management consultant to help him work through his issues.   I think how he prepared and transformed himself during this past off season will be apparent once the overall situation stabilizes.  

But my gut tells me Gase is not going to work out.  I hope I am wrong.  

• Upvote 1

I wish there was a neutral option

Gase has never been great even when he was with the dolphins, but he's never been bad.

I'm impressed that our team finished strong under his lead, but the guy that was hired to be the offensive guru happened to have his 3rd straight bottom 7 offense has a HC. 

The best word to describe how I feel is "meh".

20 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Hmmm....I gave this some thought before voting.  I weighed the Jets atrocious start to the year and their extremely low offensive rankings against their solid second half performance, how much more comfortable Darnold got in the system, and how the Jets overcame a horrid OLine and a ridiculous volume of injuries to reluctantly vote "Approve."

My exact thought process. I am a barely on the support side, will not be surprised if he completely fails, hopeful with better players he can emerge as a good coach. I also dont want to fire Gase and have Woody hire another offense allergic "hot" DC of the day

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, nico002 said:

Based on? 

My personal opinion?

Other than riding Peyton Manning's coattails for two years the guy has simply accomplished nothing in this league. His demeanor and personality isn't one of a leader. He isn't well liked or respected by players. He's a prickly, arrogant guru who isn't good at developing productive offenses.

I can't think of any one area where he's "above average" as a head coach. Even with deeply flawed coaches like Rex, Herm, Mangini, etc. you can point to things they do well. What does Gase do well? I have no idea. It certainly hasn't been offensive coaching.

• Upvote 1