Adam Gase Approval Rating heading into Training Camp 2020

Adam Gase Approval Rating  

119 members have voted

1. 1. Do you Approve the job Adam Gase is doing as HC of NYJ?

• Approve
    • Disapprove

2 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

My personal opinion?

Other than riding Peyton Manning's coattails for two years the guy has simply accomplished nothing in this league. His demeanor and personality isn't one of a leader. He isn't well liked or respected by players. He's a prickly, arrogant guru who isn't good at developing productive offenses.

I can't think of any one area where he's "above average" as a head coach. Even with deeply flawed coaches like Rex, Herm, Mangini, etc. you can point to things they do well. What does Gase do well? I have no idea. It certainly hasn't been offensive coaching.

He establishes culture.  That's about it.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Probably the worst coach in the league. Other than that he’s probably an okay guy.

No, not a fan, although that's really because I was adamantly opposed to the hire from day one.  With that said, at this point it obviously makes complete sense to give him the year and then reevaluat

I'm in between. On one hand, I want to see him do better with his gameplans and playcalling.  On the other hand, half the team was six feet under by seasons end and Maccagnan didn't exactly leave

1 hour ago, varjet said:

Gase is not an awful head coach.  His record and optics is that of a lower-end of average coach. He has the opportunity now to progress, just like many NFL coaches have, such as Pete Carroll and BB.  The opportunity is his for the taking.

But as we all know, where there is smoke, there is fire.  He is a smart guy.  Something goes on with his leadership, flexibility and ability to get along with the players that gets in his way of ultimately succeeding.  

I would have hoped and expected that Gase availed himself to some type of management consultant to help him work through his issues.   I think how he prepared and transformed himself during this past off season will be apparent once the overall situation stabilizes.  

But my gut tells me Gase is not going to work out.  I hope I am wrong.  

There's a reason for your gut, because regarding the bold, as I said at the time of the hire, the second time successes are all irrelevant as a point of comparison to Gase, as they never once happened under the same circumstances.  Every example that has ever been given in which first-time failures worked out with their second chances saw many years between head-coaching gigs, over which the coaches learned and adjusted.  Gase had no such time, and was immediately rewarded for his Miami performance, so was given absolutely no incentive to change anything he does.  If anything, the Jets' decision would suggest they didn't even want him to change, and to date he has shown no reason to believe he will.

I'm certainly rooting for it to suddenly click with him, but historically speaking the odds are excessively against Gase, as those immediately handed a second job after their first failures have far more often than not been a complete dumpster fire.  The Carroll and Belichick comparisons don't have much meaning to them considering this situation shares far more in common with the second time disasters of the likes of Kotite with the Jets, or Herm, Mangini, and Rex with their next teams.

• Upvote 1
27 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

My exact thought process. I am a barely on the support side, will not be surprised if he completely fails, hopeful with better players he can emerge as a good coach. I also dont want to fire Gase and have Woody hire another offense allergic "hot" DC of the day

You go on my list of pragmatic people around here! lol

There are definitely pros and cons with Gase.  His track record isn't good and the idea that he's some kind of offensive expert is severely lacking in evidence.  With that said, there are several valid reasons, other than coaching, as to why the Jets performed the way they did last year.  On that front, there are several reasons to be optimistic that his Year 2 will be significantly better.  And, if it isn't then I'll likely switch over to the Fire Gase crowd.  My reasons for hope are...

• Completely upgraded OLine in Year 2.  Still not perfect and inexperience will be a challenge with guys like Becton.  But we'll have either 80% or 100% new starters on the Line and the Jets decided to keep OLine Coach Frank Pollack who is very respected.  This tells me the Jets are highly confident they had a personnel problem, not a coaching problem, and the independent observation of Joe Douglas supports this. As we know, nothing can happen on offense if the OLine is inept.  You can't develop game flow,  you can't mix run/pass the way you want to, your playbook gets chopped in half because you can't run deep route concepts without QB protection, etc.  In other words, I don't know if we got to see what Gase can really cook up with Darnold because many plays were a disaster right from the snap.
  • Year 2 in an offensive system for Sam Darnold + No Mono.  QBs typically do better in their second year of a new offensive system, they're thinking less and simply playing more comfortably. And, Darnold didn't even get a full Year 1 in the system due to Mono.  Not being physically present to play games and then coming back to play when he was likely only 80-90% healthy (Mono can take a full year or more to completely recover from) really hampered his growth.  I think we started to see the real Sam in this system during the finally games of the year.
  • Injuries.  At one point the Jets had more than $48M of their Salary Cap on Injured Reserve.  Think about that for a minute.  And, that doesn't include the $13M for CJ Mosley who was kept off IR most of the time but didn't appear in more than 2 games.  That $48M number is more than DOUBLE what 26 other NFL teams had.
  • Positive trends at the end of the year.  The team finished fairly strong and obviously never quit on the coach, which they easily could have given all of the above.  This tells me that Gase still has the locker room and that players were motivated to play and win despite nothing to play for.

The above hint at potential for this team in 2020.  It's the glass-half-full perspective.  Now, they're a young team and I'm expecting bumps since the offensive could be counting on rookies like Becton and Mims pretty heavily.   However, the door has now been opened for Adam Gase and the Jets....but they need to actually walk through it.  This is likely Gase's last chance to turn around a track record that hasn't been particularly good in recent years.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1
10 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

He establishes culture.  That's about it.

With the exception of relying on Ryan Kalil a little too long, I think Gase did begin to show some elements of a culture based on meritocracy.  Meritocracy is one of my favorite management constructs.  It essentially means that those who perform well and earn playing time, promotions, etc. get those opportunities.  You don't play or get promoted simply because of who you are, how much we're paying you or how high you were drafted.  Gregg Williams exemplified this with the Defense.  Cheap, lesser known guys on the DLine like Fatukasi, Phillips, Shepherd got more and more time as the year went on.  Similarly on offense a bit....Vyncint Smith, Berrios, the decision to start playing Bilal Powell more while paying Bell a fortune, etc.

That is a winning approach, it makes veterans and high draft picks uncomfortable because they know they have to work to keep their jobs.  There's accountability and, as a player, when you know that there truly is opportunity it makes you work harder.  You don't have that, "I'll never play no matter what I do because they have a 1st round draft pick who plays the same position I do," attitude.

Gase isn't very relatable at press conferences, he can come off pretty obtuse and disinterested.  Although he's much more interesting to listen to in casual interviews and one-on-one discussions.  But, he's an alpha guy, a seemingly Type A personality without too much BS.  I like that.  To me, he's a bit like Parcells but without the affability and some of the soft-touch management skills that Parcells had.  There's no "Camp Cupcake" here like we've seemingly had with Herm's barbecues, Rex's loose ship, and Bowles' complete absence of a pulse.  With Gase (and Williams) this seems to be a culture of hard work and no shenanigans.  Sometimes that doesn't work if you're too much of a hard ass (like Mangini and his "process") but I haven't seen any signs of guys not wanting to play here and the team's efforts last November and December show that they were competing through the finish line.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, SAR I said:

If the NFL gave awards for Second Half of The Season Coach of The Year, Adam Gase would have won it.

I guess it's shame for him they don't.

But hey, bright side, if you're right about how good he is, then we're playoff bound in 2020. 

Results silence all critics.

So at least there is that.  We all like that.

4 hours ago, Bleedin Green said:

Bowles was, and still is, very highly regarded throughout the league, and was actually the first Jets' head coach Belichick had shown respect towards.  Still, none of it made a damn bit of a difference.

Not to mention, the others you mentioned have a pretty strong track record of not having a particularly great grasp on head-coaching themselves.

It's one thing to take the perspective of others into consideration as one piece of many, but it is hardly enough to outweigh a complete lack of any success at the job itself.

Your point is well made and taken. However Todd Bowles as well as Rex Ryan we're both highly regarded and have been very successful in this league. Then there are the careers of Bill Parcells, Brian Billick, and Bill Cowher-

None of the above had a smooth and easy ride....

Hell Andy Reid just won his first Super Bowl how long has he been coaching? How did Kyle Shanahan look his first two years as head coach?

4 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

You go on my list of pragmatic people around here! lol

There are definitely pros and cons with Gase.  His track record isn't good and the idea that he's some kind of offensive expert is severely lacking in evidence.  With that said, there are several valid reasons, other than coaching, as to why the Jets performed the way they did last year.  On that front, there are several reasons to be optimistic that his Year 2 will be significantly better.  And, if it isn't then I'll likely switch over to the Fire Gase crowd.  My reasons for hope are...

• Completely upgraded OLine in Year 2.  Still not perfect and inexperience will be a challenge with guys like Becton.  But we'll have either 80% or 100% new starters on the Line and the Jets decided to keep OLine Coach Frank Pollack who is very respected.  This tells me the Jets are highly confident they had a personnel problem, not a coaching problem, and the independent observation of Joe Douglas supports this. As we know, nothing can happen on offense if the OLine is inept.  You can't develop game flow,  you can't mix run/pass the way you want to, your playbook gets chopped in half because you can't run deep route concepts without QB protection, etc.  In other words, I don't know if we got to see what Gase can really cook up with Darnold because many plays were a disaster right from the snap.
  • Year 2 in an offensive system for Sam Darnold + No Mono.  QBs typically do better in their second year of a new offensive system, they're thinking less and simply playing more comfortably. And, Darnold didn't even get a full Year 1 in the system due to Mono.  Not being physically present to play games and then coming back to play when he was likely only 80-90% healthy (Mono can take a full year or more to completely recover from) really hampered his growth.  I think we started to see the real Sam in this system during the finally games of the year.
  • Injuries.  At one point the Jets had more than $48M of their Salary Cap on Injured Reserve.  Think about that for a minute.  And, that doesn't include the $13M for CJ Mosley who was kept off IR most of the time but didn't appear in more than 2 games.  That $48M number is more than DOUBLE what 26 other NFL teams had.
  • Positive trends at the end of the year.  The team finished fairly strong and obviously never quit on the coach, which they easily could have given all of the above.  This tells me that Gase still has the locker room and that players were motivated to play and win despite nothing to play for.

The above hint at potential for this team in 2020.  It's the glass-half-full perspective.  Now, they're a young team and I'm expecting bumps since the offensive could be counting on rookies like Becton and Mims pretty heavily.   However, the door has now been opened for Adam Gase and the Jets....but they need to actually walk through it.  This is likely Gase's last chance to turn around a track record that hasn't been particularly good in recent years.

Nice post, completely with you

13 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

It's not a small thing, but Gregg Williams has a big say in that too.  

If you think Adam Gase has an unimpressive history as a head coach, look up what Gregg has achieved in his career. 

• Upvote 1
Just now, T0mShane said:

If you think Adam Gase has an unimpressive history as a head coach, look up what Gregg has achieved in his career. 

Never said GW had an impressive HC career.  But as a DC and culture creator, he's one of the best.  Until he leaves 2-3 seasons after his arrival, of course.

• Haha 1
Just now, Barry McCockinner said:

I am shocked this is even close let alone approve being in the lead. Wow. Just wow.

The silent majority is heard from.  They don't post in threads, they don't want to face the angry mob, but they know what's what.

SAR I

• Upvote 1
7 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I am shocked this is even close let alone approve being in the lead. Wow. Just wow.

5 minutes ago, SAR I said:

The silent majority is heard from.  They don't post in threads, they don't want to face the angry mob, but they know what's what.

SAR I

The fact that it’s this close for a coach going into his second year with the team and the finish they had at the end of last year is disturbing.  Plus Sar I know you logged onto a couple of your burner accounts to put some votes in for your boy Gase.  

34 minutes ago, BallinPB said:

The fact that it’s this close for a coach going into his second year with the team and the finish they had at the end of last year is disturbing.  Plus Sar I know you logged onto a couple of your burner accounts to put some votes in for your boy Gase.  

The people who voted for the winning candidate in 2016 knew that speaking out during the election cycle would get them dirty looks from their wives and co-workers.  So they didn't.  Turns out the popular opinion wasn't so popular.

The Gase hate is so thick on social media same thing all over again.

SAR I

3 minutes ago, SAR I said:

The people who voted for the winning candidate in 2016 knew that speaking out during the election cycle would get them dirty looks.  So they didn't.  Turns out the popular opinion wasn't so popular.

The Gase hate is so thick on social media same thing all over again.

SAR I

So you’re saying half the team will literally die next year and the organization will go bankrupt but ok. 

7 hours ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

I am literally  shocked anyone voted to approve he literally was bad at every part of his job. Every single part. Disapprove times 1 million 

5823bbd9e1673.image.jpg?resize=1200,800

SAR I

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

So you’re saying half the team will literally die next year and the organization will go bankrupt but ok. 

8009714-3x2-940x627.jpg

SAR I

• Post of the Week 1
3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Of course not, but it is amusing to see those who worship the popularly held forum narrative in utter disbelief that Adam Gase might actually be thought of positively by a huge swath of the fanbase.

6-2 meant something.  Told ya so.

SAR I

Just now, T0mShane said:

Don’t get us banned, you bastard. No one will remind these skells of 6-2.

It's not meant to be political.  Just an amazingly parallel circumstance.  People read so much Gase hate and giggle at so many Gase memes they think they're in this big cauldron of common thought, where every sane person must see just how bad Adam is. 

Oops.

SAR I

12 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Don’t get us banned, you bastard. No one will remind these skells of 6-2.

Lots of positives in that second half of the year. Gase made some lemonade out of lemons, massaging his system into something that could work with a horrible offensive line and mediocre skill position talent. Gave Darnold options for quick throws and they executed.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
11 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Lots of positives in that second half of the year. Gase made some lemons out of lemonade, massaging his system into something that could work with a horrible offensive line and mediocre skill position talent. Gave Darnold options for quick throws and they executed.

very interesting stat ... i did sign up to follow his twitter feed ... not going to pay him for his website though ... but would like to know more about this type of info ... where he got it from  ... how they determined this ... how Sam looked each week individually  ... basically how legit this is ... comparisons to qb's in other years ... all that stuff

Just read a rumor that gase is pushing a Marchus maye trade again. My biggest fear with gase comes from his time in Miami where he basically fought with all his decent players before they got traded away for penuts. I hoped he didn't bring that kind of drama with him here but honestly it does not look like that has changed. The guy fought to get Mac fired which I know most people support but then he whined about how he wanted x player and how the players we signed weren't worth the contracts we gave them. He continued to contribute to drama with players on the roster throughout the year. Imo gase is garbage and is more likely to tear a good roster apart than he is to make the playoffs.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

1 hour ago, bealeb319 said:

Just read a rumor that gase is pushing a Marchus maye trade again. My biggest fear with gase comes from his time in Miami where he basically fought with all his decent players before they got traded away for penuts. I hoped he didn't bring that kind of drama with him here but honestly it does not look like that has changed. The guy fought to get Mac fired which I know most people support but then he whined about how he wanted x player and how the players we signed weren't worth the contracts we gave them. He continued to contribute to drama with players on the roster throughout the year. Imo gase is garbage and is more likely to tear a good roster apart than he is to make the playoffs.

The difference between Gase Miami and Gase New Jersey is that the Dolphins had a broken culture and Gase was vetting players that didn't buy-in to his philosophies and system.  Any new leader of any organization would do the exact same thing. 

As Christopher Johnson recognized the Jets had a cultural problem before the last year of the Bowles regime, he was able to start cleaning house before hiring his next head coach.  Gase dosen't have to be the same guy he was in Miami because in New Jersey he inherited a cleaned-up locker room and we actually have some skill players with good personalities. 

52 out of 53 Jets players support Adam Gase.  29 of 30 coordinators, coaches, and assistant coaches are returning this year (the 1 who left took a big promotion).  Christopher Johnson has a great strategy and he knows that Gase is the man to execute it.  You should be very happy with Jets management right now.  We need roster improvement.  Focus on that.

SAR I