Mims calls Philadelphia a 'dirty-a--, trash-a-- city

My firm did a lot of expansion in the 90s and 00s.  I opened offices in Philly (I lived in East Goshen which is very nice), Cleveland (I lived in Westlake which is very nice) and Buffalo (I lived in East Amherst/Williamsville which is very nice).

I think calling a city disgusting or filthy is rather subjective if you never lived there.

I mean there was a time I would have called Manhattan and Central Park filthy and disgusting.

15 minutes ago, Butterfield said:

To be honest, NYC is no different.  

Agree... I know it's a place that everyone should visit at least once to see some of the iconic buildings, but other than that I worked in NYC for many years, and couldn't wait to get the hell out of there. I actually left a full time job for a part time job in NJ, when I was in my 30's and took a huge risk to do so, but getting out of that city was my main goal. I've visited many cities in this country, and up until the last 5 years, Seattle, and Portland OR, were always my favorite. Now I rank those 2 as the 2 cities I NEVER want to step another foot in.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, New York Mick said:

That’s a matter of opinion. I think just as many people if not more hate NYC and want nothing to do with it. 
There’s a reason why people have been leaving the metro area like there’s a plague. 

I think he’s still angry that Philly past on him. Didn’t he say he was going to make every team that passed on him pay? He might be a sensitive as Adams. 

Its called and known as the Greatest City In The World, thats what its called so I used it in a joking kind of way.  

Philly is fine.  But that's not thepoint.  WHy use soc media to crap on it?  I don't get it.  Philly isnt even a Jets rival.  

This was one dumbass tweet.  No purpose other than to stir ppl up in a look-at-me manner. 

I'll wager Mims doesn't even know that the Jets have never beaten the Eagles in the regular season.  0-11 since the AFL-NFL merger in 1971.  

another mouthy? 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Philly is fine.  But that's not thepoint.  WHy use soc media to crap on it?  I don't get it.  Philly isnt even a Jets rival.  

This was one dumbass tweet.  No purpose other than to stir ppl up in a look-at-me manner. 

I'll wager Mims doesn't even know that the Jets have never beaten the Eagles in the regular season.  0-11 since the AFL-NFL merger in 1971.  

another mouthy? 

Mims did give off some not so great vibes post draft in the interviews and such. Maybe he just felt slighted...IDK. 

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Mims did give off some not so great vibes post draft in the interviews and such. Maybe he just felt slighted...IDK. 

NBD.  But a yellow flag as to his being ballsdeep in social media stupidity.

5 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I don't give two sh*ts about what Mims said, I'm just sad because I can foresee this turning into another player Jets fans hate because of things they say on social media. 

Maybe he shouldn't say dumb stuff on social media then?

2 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I don't give two sh*ts about what Mims said, I'm just sad because I can foresee this turning into another player Jets fans hate because of things they say on social media. 

It takes some getting used to...  especially for us boomers...   this social media stupidity.  But you are correct.  Social media inappropriate comments are the new normal and guys like me just have to accept it.

But it is about as fking stupid as stupid can get.  IMO.  Allow us to air our grievances on this message board.  So I'll say this:  I get that social media post stupidity is here to stay and there is nothing we can do to stop it.  But this board is for whining, complaining, kvetching et. al.  so is it ok by you if we still whine about it?  Please?  

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Dcat said:

It takes some getting used to...  especially for us boomers...   this social media stupidity.  But you are correct.  Social media inappropriate comments are the new normal and guys like me just have to accept it.

But it is about as fking stupid as stupid can get.  IMO.  Allow us to air our grievances on this message board.  So I'll say this:  I get that social media post stupidity is here to stay and there is nothing we can do to stop it.  But this board is for whining, complaining, kvetching et. al.  so is it ok by you if we still whine about it?  Please?  

Complain about mims all you want. I never told anyone not to post anything ?‍♂️

It just makes me sad the guy is probably gonna be crapped on regardless of what he does on the field if this is how he uses social media. If I get annoyed by what people say on the internet I stop following them. I'll never understand people letting social media voices live in their heads when it's so easy to unplug.

fwiw - talking like these guys do goes against everything I was ever taught. I'd never do it myself and I'd slap the sh*t outta my son if he did it. 

• Upvote 2

On 7/8/2020 at 8:43 AM, Barry McCockinner said:

Complain about mims all you want. I never told anyone not to post anything ?‍♂️

It just makes me sad the guy is probably gonna be crapped on regardless of what he does on the field if this is how he uses social media. If I get annoyed by what people say on the internet I stop following them. I'll never understand people letting social media voices live in their heads when it's so easy to unplug.

Nobody is going to crap on him for complaining about Philly while he was talking shlt on Call Of Duty on his Xbox 

There is a huge difference between Phillys is a dirt ass city and look at me tweets or talk that people hate

• Upvote 1

No one likes people from Philly down here in SC. They have an arrogance about them that annoys the locals here bigtime. Ohio people too.

Its funny how these locals can point them out with just one meeting. The bartenders are like savants in culling aholes. 

• Haha 1

Just now, Matt39 said:

Is he? 

don't know.  I don't read twitter much.  Mostly just the twitter re-posts here.  But it seems like the entire generation of players is addicted to saying whatever comes to mind, no matter what it is, on social media... so not an unreasonable generalization.  In any event... someone here will undoubtedly invest the time digging into Mims' soc. med. history to find out now.    As I said before...  one of these days I'll get used to it.  Maybe.

18 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

But they do have cheesesteaks

And my wife is a Philadelphian.  Big Eagles fan too (season tickets in her fam since the '70's).  I've never had a problem with the Eagles primarily because they're in the NFC, I'll root for them against the Giants, Cowboys, etc.  My problem is with the Flyers and most other things from Philly besides the cheesesteaks. :D 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Douglas interviewed him twice, so hopefully his judgment can be trusted on Mims.  Granted, he wasn't exactly in a rush to take him, only snagging him at 59 after a trade down.  

He may well end up being a guy who is a WR1 here, but one we aren't interested in re-signing once he reaches the end of his rookie deal.

4 hours ago, Dcat said:

another mouthy? 

Curtis Martin never liked football, and he hated New York and the Jets. 

Curtis Martin remembers hating New York, and especially hating the Jets., the running back counted the Jets among the two teams in the NFL he would simply never play for.

“I wasn’t the biggest football fan to begin with, but if I was going to play, I didn’t want to play for what was in my mind the worst team, ever,”

https://www.nj.com/jets/2012/07/curtis_martin_never_liked_foot.html

• Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, New York Mick said:

That’s a matter of opinion. I think just as many people if not more hate NYC and want nothing to do with it. 
There’s a reason why people have been leaving the metro area like there’s a plague. 

I think he’s still angry that Philly past on him. Didn’t he say he was going to make every team that passed on him pay? He might be a sensitive as Adams. 

People leave mostly due to the taxes.  Especially in the NJ burbs.  $15,000 a year in property tax for a cape and a lot the size of a postage stamp

6 hours ago, GKnight83 said:

My firm did a lot of expansion in the 90s and 00s.  I opened offices in Philly (I lived in East Goshen which is very nice), Cleveland (I lived in Westlake which is very nice) and Buffalo (I lived in East Amherst/Williamsville which is very nice).

I think calling a city disgusting or filthy is rather subjective if you never lived there.

I mean there was a time I would have called Manhattan and Central Park filthy and disgusting.

That's because at the time you're talking about Manhattan and Central Park where objectively disgusting and dangerous, it used to be a mess. Seems like NYC is working it's hardest to head back to that. All my friends still living and working in the city are looking to get out post Covid with the direction it's going and lots of job functions moving to a remote setting. I've helped move 3 different couples I know out in the last month or so back to the suburbs.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, EM31 said:

Lucky they have changed preseason rules.  Under the old rules we played Philly every ear in preseason.  Not sure it is wise to bait the bear.

Oh good thing our third and fourth string scrubs won't be playing their third and fourth string scrubs in game 4.  Think I actually read that

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, THE BARON said:

People leave mostly due to the taxes.  Especially in the NJ burbs.  $15,000 a year in property tax for a cape and a lot the size of a postage stamp

NYC has low Realestate taxes.

NJ is high, there you are.  I paid over $16,000.  But I wasn't on a postage stamp or the lot the size of a postage stamp.  I'd say over an acre and 4500 Sq feet in an expensive area doest fit that description

On 7/8/2020 at 1:04 PM, Savage69 said:

Curtis Martin never liked football, and he hated New York and the Jets. 

Curtis Martin remembers hating New York, and especially hating the Jets., the running back counted the Jets among the two teams in the NFL he would simply never play for.

“I wasn’t the biggest football fan to begin with, but if I was going to play, I didn’t want to play for what was in my mind the worst team, ever,”

https://www.nj.com/jets/2012/07/curtis_martin_never_liked_foot.html

In your dreams does every football player love the game?  You actually cant see how someone would treat it as a job?  I didnt love getting up and going to work but I did it.  Add in the millions he made and your confused by this?  Really you roll this out every so often as if its a shocker.  Guess what, I knew Jumbo Elliot, he hated the game, looked for ways to miss practices whatever.  Always said where else could he make that money, so?

Now he hated the Jets because at the time, coming off of the Kotite years he thought they were bottom of the barrel, which they were?  Wow, he wasn't thrilled with going to a one win team, a team that won what 4 games total the prior two seasons?  Off of a Super Bowl appearance.  A bad team in a league he never followed a fan according to his HOF speech.  I'm shocked. 

I would bet if you asked him how it all worked out with the Jets you would get a completely different story.  He would be happy with the way things worked out.  I start in NYC.  Bet he doesnt complain.  

He was a quiet leader on the Jets, a player who played hard on every single down.  Harder than any football player I've ever seen in green.  Ever, not even close actually.  Broken bones , hell a broken back and he played.  Missed only a handful of games over his career, played to a HOF level and we're supposed to give a shlt about this kind of stuff based entirely on the fact that he blocked your guy, LaMont Jordan from playing.  Well that and just about every time he got a shot to start he shlt the bed and looked like any other fill in back.  

No matter what Curtis Martin thought before coming here, who cares, he played like a HOF player and was one of the greatest Jets players ever.  

• Post of the Week 2

29 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

In your dreams do every football player love the game?  You actually cant see how someone would treat it as a job?  I didnt love getting up and going to work but I did it.  Add in the millions he made and your confused by this?  Really you roll this out every so often as if its a shocker.  Guess what, I knew Jumbo Elliot, he hated the game, looked for ways to miss practices whatever.  Always said where else could he make that money, so?

Now he hated the Jets because at the time, coming off of the Kotite years he thought they were bottom of the barrel, which they were?  Off of a Super Bowl appearance.  I'm shocked.

I would bet if you asked him how it all worked out with the Jets you would get a completely different story.  Wow, he wasn't thrilled with going to a one win team, a team that won what 4 games total the prior two seasons?

He was a quiet leader on the team who played hard.  Harder than any football player I've ever seen in green.  Broken bones ,hell a broken back and he played.  Missed a handful of games, played to a HOF level and were supposed to give a shlt about this kind of stuff based entirely on the fact that he blocked your guy, LaMont Jordan from playing.  Well that and just about every time he got a shot to start he shlt the bed and looked like any other fill in back

Glad to see your well again and in fighting form and protecting your guy.. Martin said that when he was drafted before Kotite's first season as the HC.. The point of the post was to contrast it to what Mim's said.. As far as Jordan goes I have never been for a 1 back gets all the carries fan.. I liked the Snell Boozer, Boozer Riggens, Freeman Hector conbo's better.. One of the best ever was Csonka,Kiick and mercury Morris combo's the fins had..

• Thumb Down 1

44 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

NYC has low Realestate taxes.

NJ is high, there you are.  I paid over $16,000.  But I wasn't on a postage stamp or the lot the size of a postage stamp.  I'd say over an acre and 4500 Sq feet in an expensive area doest fit that description

NYC low real estate tax, IF you can afford real estate there to begin with.  Manhattan Some of the highest $$$ on the planet.  Boroughs a different story. 

7 hours ago, Dcat said:

another mouthy? 

It wasn't a tweet.  Someone recorded him saying it while he was playing Call Of Duty.

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Warfish said:

facepalm-kain-678x381px.jpg

Such empty stupid trash talking by a guy who hasn't even put on a NFL uniform yet.  But of course, JN loves it.  Double facepalm....

I will never wear an NFL uniform and I think he's pretty spot on. Only area of that city I've found nice is the area around UPenn.