49ers RB Raheem Mostert requests trade

https://www.nfl.com/news/raheem-mostert-requests-trade-from-san-francisco-49ers

RB Raheem Mostert requests trade from 49ers

f6b7udz3xm3jglfakq9q.svg

Michael Baca

NFL.COM DIGITAL CONTENT PRODUCER

Raheem Mostert played a pivotal role in the San Francisco 49ers' run to the Super Bowl last season, but the running back is now open to playing elsewhere.

After months of unfruitful negotiations in regards to a new deal, Mostert has requested a trade from the 49ers, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported Wednesday afternoon.

Brett Tessler, Mostert's agent, disclosed his client's request in a tweet, stating, "After months of unproductive talks with the 49ers about fairly adjusting Mostert's contract (which paid him for special teams) we have requested a trade. Disappointing that it would come to this for a guy for a guy who led all NFL RBs in YAC and helped lead them to a Super Bowl."

According to Rapoport, Tessler said Mostert's request is to simply be in line with the highest-paid running back on the team, which is Tevin Coleman, who is set to make $4.55 million in 2020. Mostert has two years left on his current deal and is due $2.57 million in base salary this season and $2.87 million in 2021, per OverTheCap.

The 49ers have already traded away a running back this offseason, sending Matt Breida to the Miami Dolphins for a fifth-round draft pick. Along with Mostert and Coleman, the Niners' current RB depth chart rounds out with Jerick McKinnon, Jeff Wilson and undrafted rookie JaMycal Hasty.

Mostert, 28, has been one of the best success stories in the NFL, going from an undrafted free agent to special teams nomad, to secret weapon in one of the NFL's best offenses last season. Mostert's breakout moment came in last year's NFC Championship Game against the Green Bay Packers, when the hard-nosed rusher tallied 220 yards on 29 attempts and scored four touchdowns, setting multiple playoff rushing records. Mostert also managed to score a touchdown in the team's loss to the Kansas City Chiefs in Super Bowl LIV.

After proving his value on the field last season, Mostert will now venture into the trade market while also looking for a new contract that reflects his worth. Time will tell if another team will look to attain Mostert's services and fulfill his needs, but recent history has shown that it's been easier said than done when it comes to the execution of a running back's demands.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Two years left on is deal, pound sand.

SF may pay him but their system makes RB's , just like Shanahan senior.

I sincerely doubt they'll pay Mostert.  They're already paying Tevin Coleman $4.9M and Jerick McKinnon $2.9M next year.  Throw in Mostert's $3.1M and that's a lot devoted to a RB trio.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I sincerely doubt they'll pay Mostert.  They're already paying Tevin Coleman $4.9M and Jerick McKinnon $2.9M next year.  Throw in Mostert's $3.1M and that's a lot devoted to a RB trio.

Mostert had a nice streak last year. I'd like to see what he'd do in a more featured role.

That's 10.9 mil on there trio, I wouldn't say that's all that much. I mean we have 14.5 into Bell alone.

That's not a knock on Bell, I hope he has a bounce back year but that one RB is costing us 3.6 Mil more than their three.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Lurker89 said:

Mostert had a nice streak last year. I'd like to see what he'd do in a more featured role.

That's 10.9 mil on there trio, I wouldn't say that's all that much. I mean we have 14.5 into Bell alone.

That's not a knock on Bell, I hope he has a bounce back year but that one RB is costing us 3.6 Mil more than their three.

It's a lot for a team like SF that's right up against the cap as it is.  They rank right up there with the most expensive backfields in the league in 2020:

1. Texans (David Johnson, Duke Johnson, B. Howell):  $16M
  2. Jets (Bell, Gore, Perine):  $15.9M
  3. Cowboys (Elliott, Pollard, Darius Anderson):  $12.4M
  4. Titans (Henry, Perry, Dalyn Dawkins):  $11.8M
  5. Panthers (McCaffrey, Mike Davis, Scarlett):  $11.5M
  6. Giants (Barkley, Dion Lewis, E. Penny):  $11.4M
  7. Patriots (White, Burkhead, Michel):  $11.1M
  8. 49ers (Coleman, Mostert, McKinnon):  $10.9M
  9. Jaguars (Fournette, Thompson, Armstead):  $10.8M
  10. Cardinals (Drake, Edmonds, D.J. Foster):  $10.2M

13 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

It's a lot for a team like SF that's right up against the cap as it is.  They rank right up there with the most expensive backfields in the league in 2020:

1. Texans (David Johnson, Duke Johnson, B. Howell):  $16M
  2. Jets (Bell, Gore, Perine):  $15.9M
  3. Cowboys (Elliott, Pollard, Darius Anderson):  $12.4M
  4. Titans (Henry, Perry, Dalyn Dawkins):  $11.8M
  5. Panthers (McCaffrey, Mike Davis, Scarlett):  $11.5M
  6. Giants (Barkley, Dion Lewis, E. Penny):  $11.4M
  7. Patriots (White, Burkhead, Michel):  $11.1M
  8. 49ers (Coleman, Mostert, McKinnon):  $10.9M
  9. Jaguars (Fournette, Thompson, Armstead):  $10.8M
  10. Cardinals (Drake, Edmonds, D.J. Foster):  $10.2M

Knew running backs had become passe still kind of surprised the list tops out at 16 mil for three salaries. 

Side note at least we are at the top of the league in something.... Misallocating funds ?.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Yeah, definitely a tough situation there.  Agree only so much you want to be sinking into the position, and I'm not really one for holdouts / trade demands, especially with multiple years left, but the flip side is that it also isn't that unreasonable of an amount he's asking for either, considering it isn't too hard to argue he deserves more than either of them.

It will come down to how they value him, as there likely will be little trouble finding a team willing to pay Mostert that much, and might get some decent trade offers too if a team is a big enough fan and feel they'd be getting a great deal at that price.

It may also be a question of how much they think they can count on a guy who last played 3 years ago as a backup for another team (McKinnon).

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

Special teams contract. He out-played in and has gotten a promotion. Compensation should be updated. Or trade. I’d do the same thing.

• Upvote 2

55 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

Yeah, definitely a tough situation there.  Agree only so much you want to be sinking into the position, and I'm not really one for holdouts / trade demands, especially with multiple years left, but the flip side is that it also isn't that unreasonable of an amount he's asking for either, considering it isn't too hard to argue he deserves more than either of them.

It will come down to how they value him, as there likely will be little trouble finding a team willing to pay Mostert that much, and might get some decent trade offers too if a team is a big enough fan and feel they'd be getting a great deal at that price.

It may also be a question of how much they think they can count on a guy who last played 3 years ago as a backup for another team (McKinnon).

No one is trading picks for Mostert and what he demands in salary. His last ten replacements were drafted in the mid to late rounds this year, and the next 5-10 will be drafted next year(crossing fingers there is a season). He's a dime a dozen RB that is on the wrong side of 27 and now wants too get paid. 

34 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Special teams contract. He out-played in and has gotten a promotion. Compensation should be updated. Or trade. I’d do the same thing.

Two years left on his deal.

Its funny how if you out perform a deal you signed over multi years you deserve a raise but if you are a dog like Tru johsnon or any of a many others you do not give the money back.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Exactly right. This guy is just trying to capitalize on what will likely be his best chance to do so.  I get it, but I'm tiring of the immediate gratification brigade in the NFL. 

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, RobR said:

He is the true definition of a career Jag that had one decent season, that he will never duplicate again. Hope he holds out and gets nothing.

With that said, you can understand his logic. Even if he gets a bump In salary it will be worth it. 

But I agree with you. Who's trading for this guy?  lol 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, RobR said:

He is the true definition of a career Jag that had one decent season, that he will never duplicate again. Hope he holds out and gets nothing.

It always surprises me that fans side with ownership on these issues.  Makes very little sense.  

• Upvote 1

Mostert used to be on our roster.  

I get what some of you guys are saying but I have watched him play.  He has a lots of tread left and he looked explosive.  While its true that its Shanahan's system, I saw him breaking tackles and running away from defenders.  

That being said running backs are a dime a dozen but dont be shocked if someone is interested.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, RobR said:

I called him a Jag last year and was blasted for it because some advanced stat said he was the best RB in the league.  lol 

He is 28?  Then this makes perfect sense.  He will be 30 when his deal is up.  He will never see  a big deal.  This is his chance to squeeze a couple of extra million out of his career.  They already traded Breida, so maybe he figures he has a bit of leverage.  Jason has a piece up on overthecap that explains how he signed a multi-year deal for slightly more than the tender he would have been forced to play under. He is suggesting that the Niners moving the escalators around would be a fair compromise.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, JiF said:

I called him a Jag last year and was blasted for it because some advanced stat said he was the best RB in the league.  lol 

He averaged 6.3 yards per carry in the playoffs, with 5 TDs.  His regular season advanced stats had a little bit of predictive power there.

He benefits greatly from his system and is mostly useless in the passing game.  But a JAG he is not.  

22 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

He averaged 6.3 yards per carry in the playoffs, with 5 TDs.  His regular season advanced stats had a little bit of predictive power there.

He benefits greatly from his system and is mostly useless in the passing game.  But a JAG he is not.  

Meh, he's a jag and easily replaceable in that offense. You stick Mostert on the Jets last year and he would have been a complete zero and out of the league this year. Not to mention he is 28 years old. 

No team in the NFL would trade for Mostert unless it's for a very late rd pick (likely conditional) and no team would give him more money. I feel bad for the kid but he is an old RB, who has very little history of success. He has zero leverage. 

4 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Meh, he's a jag and easily replaceable in that offense. You stick Mostert on the Jets last year and he would have been a complete zero and out of the league this year. Not to mention he is 28 years old. 

No team in the NFL would trade for Mostert unless it's for a very late rd pick (likely conditional) and no team would give him more money. I feel bad for the kid but he is an old RB, who has very little history of success. He has zero leverage. 

Eh.  I think he is probably worth more than Breida who is getting more money and net a 5th.  He also might fit what the Jets are doing well enough to have some of those games Jay Ajayi had with the Dolphins.  He obviously isn't going to get a big return in a trade or a monster contract (he isn't even asking for one) but he has very few options, so I don't blame him for taking his shot.

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

oh ok

3 hours ago, Butterfield said:

You get cut.  

And walk away with buckets of guaranteed money which is what contracts are all about.

Did we get good value for paying up front for Tru Johnson?  Mo Wilk?  Revis version 2.0?

Until the NFL changes the way they structures deals the simple fact is you are under paid for your 1st 5 years then you make up for it after that.

12 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

And walk away with buckets of guaranteed money which is what contracts are all about.

Did we get good value for paying up front for Tru Johnson?  Mo Wilk?  Revis version 2.0?

Until the NFL changes the way they structures deals the simple fact is you are under paid for your 1st 5 years then you make up for it after that.

This isn't really fair. 

Guys like Mostert slave away at the bottom/lower levels.  Comparing him to Revis, WIlkerson and Trumaine Johnson is ridiculous.  The inequity in their treatment is why players stick it to the man when they have the chance.

Mostert is 28 and his last contract was signed while he was under a tender.  He came out in 2005 and he will be 30 when he is a free agent.  The way the NFL structures the contracts is screwing him in the ass.  He won't be able to make up for sh*t.  I get not wanting to be the team that pays guys like this, but I do not understand begrudging the guy his attempt to get paid.

• Upvote 3