49ers RB Raheem Mostert requests trade

7 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Yes, top 15.  Only 8 RBs in the league faced more 8+ man boxes than Mostert did last year, and he was still highly successful, then put up a monster postseason.  I believe his yards after contact was upper tier as well.  If he ends up a 1-year wonder, I'll adjust my evaluation accordingly.

You and @JiF love a non-sexy RB like Bilal Powell but refuse to give a guy like Mostert proper credit. 

Ahem. I already said he should get paid. I simply think calling him too-15 after part of a years production is excessive. I’m not not giving credit. I’m giving him appropriate credit. While you are generously extrapolating his partial season of success to being more valuable than it is.

Consider his system. Consider his history. Consider the sample size. He’s definitely earning more than special teams pay, but too 15 is presumptuous.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Pay every player $20M a year and pay them now!  No waiting! SAR I

Two years left on is deal, pound sand. SF may pay him but their system makes RB's , just like Shanahan senior.

Yup.  As I noted earlier in the thread, we have more money tied up in RBs in 2020 than 30 other teams in the league.  It didn't help the team last year and probably won't this year, either: Te

Posted Images

20 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I'm sure you're right, I was just using the top 3 salaries of each RB group for convenience purposes.  Including the 4th-highest paid RB for each team doesn't significantly adjust the list from a salary perspective, as they're all in the $600-$750k range in 2020.

yea, i was just being silly. I love Wilson but i know he's never amongst the names/salaries quoted. 

• Upvote 1
On 7/8/2020 at 9:58 PM, Rhg1084 said:

Give up a 6th or 7th for this guy and bring him in! Can’t have old man Gore as number 2 guy on this team. Need some speed out of the backfield, Mostert has it

No. Stop paying RBs big money. They are very replaceable. Look at what a waste of money Bell was last year. 

• Upvote 2
19 hours ago, neurotik said:

No. Stop paying RBs big money. They are very replaceable. Look at what a waste of money Bell was last year. 

Yup.  As I noted earlier in the thread, we have more money tied up in RBs in 2020 than 30 other teams in the league.  It didn't help the team last year and probably won't this year, either:

1. Texans (David Johnson, Duke Johnson, B. Howell):  $16M
  2. Jets (Bell, Gore, Perine):  $15.9M

Maybe once Bell is off the books in 2021, we can consider spending a little coin at RB again.  But I have a feeling Douglas is smart enough to recognize you should use the middle rounds to to try to find starting RBs, not free agency or trades.  Veteran additions should, typically, be backups (like Frank Gore).

• Upvote 3
  • 2 weeks later...

https://www.nfl.com/news/raheem-mostert-49ers-speak-to-clear-air-after-rb-s-trade-request

Raheem Mostert, 49ers speak to clear air after RB's trade request

Headshot_Author_Kevin-Patra_2020

Kevin Patra

AROUND THE NFL WRITER

Perhaps the San Francisco 49ers can repair their relationship with Raheem Mostert after the running back requested a trade in early July.

NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported Monday that Mostert spoke to a high-ranking member of the Niners' organization to clear the air and get on the same page moving forward, according to sources informed of the conversation.

When asked about the situation possibly being worked out, Mostert's agent, Brett Tessler, responded, "Hopefully, that'll be the case."

Mostert's camp requested a trade earlier this month after what Tessler termed at the time "months of unproductive talks" about the 49ers adjusting the running back's contract.

The 28-year-old Mostert sought to be paid in line with what Tevin Coleman is making as the highest-paid RB on the team. Coleman is set to earn $4.55 million in 2020. Mostert has two years left on his current deal and is due $2.57 million in base salary this season.

Mostert's contract, however, was negotiated when he was primarily a special teams standout. Last year, as the Niners ran to the Super Bowl, Mostert became the lead rusher. He compiled a team-high 772 yards and eight TDs on 137 carries (5.6 YPC) in 16 regular-season games. Coleman, meanwhile, earned 544 yards on a similar 137 carries with six rushing TDs in 14 games played.

Unless the conversation with Mostert included promise of a pay raise, it's unclear whether the RB will rescind his trade request.

This offseason, the 49ers traded Matt Breida to Miami. Mostert sits atop the Niners' RB depth chart with Coleman, Jerick McKinnon (coming off injury) and Jeff Wilson.

• 2 months later...