Redrafting Jets drafts from the last 10 years

1 minute ago, slats said:

I preferred Mahomes, but I was so certain that the Jets' pick was going to be either Adams or Fournette that I checked out before that draft. I didn't even watch it, which is rare for me. Remember seeing the Adams pick and the flurry here and laughing. But then oh boy, when they took another safety in the second...  

When they doubled down in the second, my immediate feeling was the same as during the locker room celebration when Idzik announced Rex was coming back. 

• Haha 3

9 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Given his resume and who went after him in his respective draft, Gholston was an exponentially more forgivable selection than was Jamal Adams.  

Agreed, that said, Gholston was like 100% guaranteed to bust and they needed a corner opposite Revis and I remember a few of us back in the day being bout bout it for DRC or Talib even though they were reeaches because Gholston was a stiff and other options were positions they were flush at, DE and ILB.  

The pick that pissed me off the most though was Keller over Desean Jackson.  We needed WR help so bad and Jackson was just a straight game changer waiting to happen. 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Given his resume and who went after him in his respective draft, Gholston was an exponentially more forgivable selection than was Jamal Adams.  

This is the only pick I give Mangini credit for. Belichick spooked him into taking the workout warrior by trading right up behind the Jets and then trading back immediately after the pick. Gholston was supposed to be the last "blue chip," player that year. Ugh. 

17 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Not remembering that.

The posts still exist.

You remember calling Darnold a INT machine at USC?

I remember having doubts about Darnold, absolutely.  Especially in the area of turnovers and completion percentage.

In 2018, with 16 INT's (in only 13 games played) he was #2 in most INT's.  His INT rate (3.6%) was 4th worst in the NFL in 2018. His completion percentage (57.7%) was 3rd worst.

In 2019, with 13 INT's (in only 13 games played) he was #8 in most INT's.  His INT rate (2.9%) was 6th worst in the NFL in 2019.  His completion percentage (61.9%) was 9th worst.

So far, my concerns have been completely validated by the results. 

Darnold, to-date, is amongst the worst QB's (i.e. bottom 10) in the NFL in terms of throwing INT's and low completion rate over his first two seasons.

Nothing says he cannot improve.  After all he improved from 2018 to 2019.  And he certainly has the potential. 

But we're 40% done with his rookie contract, and so far, my pre-draft criticism is statistically valid.  

I am sure we both agree that we hope this changes in 2020, and that he is not in the bottom 10 of INT's or Completion %.

6 minutes ago, Warfish said:

The posts still exist.

I remember having doubts about Darnold, absolutely.  Especially in the area of turnovers and completion percentage.

In 2018, with 16 INT's (in only 13 games played) he was #2 in most INT's.  His INT rate (3.6%) was 4th worst in the NFL in 2018. His completion percentage (57.7%) was 3rd worst.

In 2019, with 13 INT's (in only 13 games played) he was #8 in most INT's.  His INT rate (2.9%) was 6th worst in the NFL in 2019.  His completion percentage (61.9%) was 9th worst.

So far, my concerns have been completely validated by the results. 

Darnold, to-date, is amongst the worst QB's (i.e. bottom 10) in the NFL in terms of throwing INT's and low completion rate over his first two seasons.

Nothing says he cannot improve.  But we're 40% done with his rookie contract, and so far, my pre-draft criticism is statistically valid.

I am sure we both agree that we hope this changes in 2020, and that he is not in the bottom 10 of INT's or Completion %.

And the point is Watson coming out of school, with tons of talent around him he had 17 INTs to Darnolds 13.  That was why he was questioned, heavily.  There was not a big group calling for Watson. 

16 INTs for a 21 year old rookie QB on a talentless offense isnt a lot.  And has been prosted, he pressured more than others and when the horrific rate of pressure comes down he movers to the top of the QB section.

Nothing is proven given the OL and lack of WRs around him.  

• Post of the Week 1

10 minutes ago, JiF said:

Agreed, that said, Gholston was like 100% guaranteed to bust and they needed a corner opposite Revis and I remember a few of us back in the day being bout bout it for DRC or Talib even though they were reeaches because Gholston was a stiff and other options were positions they were flush at, DE and ILB.  

The pick that pissed me off the most though was Keller over Desean Jackson.  We needed WR help so bad and Jackson was just a straight game changer waiting to happen. 

^Knew Gholston was a stiff/thought Jachai Polite would be great

8 minutes ago, slats said:

This is the only pick I give Mangini credit for. Belichick spooked him into taking the workout warrior by trading right up behind the Jets and then trading back immediately after the pick. Gholston was supposed to be the last "blue chip," player that year. Ugh. 

^Antagonizes #StanginiHive/Gets pissed when #StanginiHive blows up his notifications

• Haha 2

31 minutes ago, BROOKLYN JET said:

Unfathomable that we drafted a safety at 6 when we needed a QB and had Watson and Mahomes sitting there.

Not really.  MacStumbleBum was only going to take a QB in the 1st Rd (or pour the entire vault of Jet money on someone like Cousins) until the very last second when his back was to the wall and his job would finally be in jeopardy.  He was going to milk the Consensus 1st Rd pick until the end of days if he were allowed.  He knew if he showed any b*lls and picked a Mahomes or Watson over a Safety (at a time the Jets were starving for a QB) and the pick whiffed...he would be fired. Because he KNOWS himself that he’s an Idiot.  Better to cash more fat paychecks to pad his fat useless a*s.

With no threat of finally being Fired from a job he totally was incompetent to do the Jets might have fielded a roster of 53 DTs (as long as they were all Consensus which always gave him a built in excuse when/if the pick went bad).

11 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

So we'll see in 2020, because neither OL nor WR is below average, talent-wise, now.

As stated, I am sure we both agree that we hope this changes in 2020, and that he is not in the bottom 10 of INT's or Completion %.

Regardless, if I had a time machine and the power to change things, I still change the Adams/Watson selection, and would enjoy using the #1 and three #2's it cost us to get Darnold on other players.  That cost difference cannot be ignored in any Watson vs. Darnold comparison.  

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Redrafting Jets drafts from last 10 years: Patrick Mahomes over Jamal Adams, Josh Allen over Quinnen Williams; Sam Darnold still the pick in 2018?

Today 6:30 AM 
Jamal Adams

What if the New York Jets didn't draft Jamal Adams in 2017?AP

Jamal Adams turned into everything the Jets could have hoped for with the sixth overall pick of the 2017 NFL Draft.

But what if the Jets drafted Patrick Mahomes instead?

Mahomes went No. 10 overall to the Kansas City Chiefs, and the rest is history for the highest paid man in sports.

It’s easy to play the “What if?” game with past draft picks and imagine what could have been with a little bit of revisionist history. So that’s exactly what we’re doing here with the Jets and the past 10 NFL Drafts.

We’ll look at who the Jets picked in each of the first four rounds each season, and redraft it based on who was available at that pick.

A few rules:

1. Each year is done in a vacuum. We’re redrafting for each year, not for every year combined. So what we redraft in 2010 does not actually carry over into 2011, 2012 and so on.

2. To keep it semi-realistic, we didn’t venture too far past who the Jets picked at a given slot to make a change. So, if they picked a player early in the fourth round, we didn’t replace him with a guy selected in the sixth round. That would never have happened at the time. We’ll keep re-drafted picks to players taken within 10 slots of the original Jets pick.

So, with that, here are our picks for the redraft, based on value, talent and, when possible, the Jets’ needs at the time of that draft.

Original picks: CB Kyle Wilson (1st), T Vlad Ducasse (2nd), RB Joe McKnight (4th)

Redraft: CB Patrick Robinson (1st), T Jared Veldheer (2nd), DT Geno Atkins (4th)

Analysis: This draft class is one to forget. For one, the Jets made only four picks total — the three listed above and RB John Connor in the fifth round. Wilson was a starter for just one season with the Jets before playing his final season in 2015. Ducasse played just two of his seven seasons in New York and started only four games with the Jets. Instead, the Jets could have grabbed Robinson, who has never been a Pro Bowler, but has carved out a solid career with the New Orleans Saints and other teams. Veldheer was a starter for nine seasons with the Oakland Raiders, Arizona Cardinals and Denver Broncos, and he was still in the league with the Green Bay Packers in 2019. Atkins became a Pro Bowler with the Cincinnati Bengals.

Original picks: DT Muhammad Wilkerson (1st), DT Kenrick Ellis (3rd), RB Bilal Powell (4th)

Redraft: Wilkerson (1st), LB K.J. Wright (3rd), Powell (4th)

Analysis: There’s a case the Jets could have used their first pick to take DE Cameron Heyward, who went one spot after Wilkerson to the Pittsburgh Steelers. But Wilkerson’s 44.5 sacks and one Pro Bowl appearance in his seven seasons Jets made the pick worthwhile. Wright has made 533 career tackles after the Seattle Seahawks grabbed him with the second pick of the fourth round, five spots after the Jets selected Ellis. 

Powell ran for 3,675 yards in nine seasons with the Jets, primarily as a backup. TE Julius Thomas went three picks after Powell, but it’s hard to imagine Thomas’ career panning out the same way if he wasn’t catching passes from Peyton Manning on the Broncos.

Original picks: DE Quinton Coples (1st), WR Stephen Hill (2nd), LB Demario Davis (3rd)

Redraft: DE Melvin Ingram (1st), WR Alshon Jeffery (2nd), Davis (3rd)

Analysis: Coples was out of the league by 2015, while Ingram has been a staple on the San Diego/Los Angeles Chargers’ defensive line for nearly a decade. There are several options the Jets could have taken instead of Hill, who quickly busted out of the league, and we’ll settle on Jeffery, who turned into a star with the Chicago Bears before heading to the Eagles. Davis has had a fine career after becoming a full-time starter with the Jets in his second season.

Original picks: CB Dee Milliner (1st), DT Sheldon Richardson (1st), QB Geno Smith (2nd), G Brian Winters (3rd)

Redraft: Richardson (1st), S Eric Reid (1st), RB Le’Veon Bell (2nd), WR Keenan Allen (3rd)

Analysis: Let’s get the simple one out of the way first. The Jets got two unsuccessful seasons out of Smith at QB before he lost the starting gig, so they would have been better suited going in almost any other direction. Of 23 players picked after Smith in the second round, 14 are still in the NFL. So we’ll land on Bell, who the Jets ended up paying as a free agent anyway. 

As for the first two picks, the middle of the first round didn’t produce much game-changing talent. The Jets got one of those players with their second pick in Richardson, so we’ll slot him in as the Jets’ first selection in the redraft. The Jets could have used one of those two picks to grab EJ Manuel, the first QB off the board in the draft, rather than taking Smith in the second round, but Manuel never turned into a long-term starter, either. So safety Eric Reid, who went 18th overall to the San Fransisco 49ers, is the new pick to accompany Richardson.

Winters has been solid for the Jets after going 72nd overall the third round, but a pair of Pro Bowlers went three and four picks after him, respectively. They could have taken OT Terron Armstrong, with went to the Saints 75th overall, but we’ll tab Allen as the new pick, as the three-time Pro Bowler went 76th to the Chargers.

Original picks: S Calvin Pryor (1st), TE Jace Amaro (2nd), CB Dexter McDougle (3rd), WR Jalen Sanders (4th), WR Shaquelle Evans (4th), OG Dakota Dozier (4th)

Redraft: S Ha Ha Clinton-Dix (1st), WR Davante Adams (2nd), OG Gabe Jackson (3rd), DE Cassius Marsh (4th), LB Anthony Hitchens (4th), LB Telvin Smith (4th)

Analysis: The first half of the first round of the 2014 NFL Draft is littered with stars, including Khalil Mack, Mike Evans, Odell Beckham Jr. and Aaron Darnold, but by the time the Jets picked at No. 18, they settled on Pryor, who played just 46 career games. Brandin Cooks is also a first-round option in the redraft, though we’ll go with another safety in Clinton-Dix. Adams is a definitive upgrade in the second round, and Jackson represents another decent offensive lineman in the third.

There aren’t many standout names from the fourth round of this draft, but the Jets certainly could have secured something better than their original haul. Dozier is still active and has played 54 games, but Sanders and Evans never appeared in the NFL. Marsh, Hitchens and Smith all represent solid alternatives.

Original picks: DE Leonard Williams (1st), WR Devin Smith (2nd), LB Lorenzo Mauldin (3rd), QB Bryce Petty (4th)

Redraft: Williams (1st), LB Eric Kendricks (2nd), DE Danielle Hunter (3rd), WR Jamison Crowder (4th)

Analysis: Picking at No. 6, the only other realistic option over Williams would have been Atlanta Flacons Vic Beasley, but Williams put up strong numbers during his Jets tenure, so he remains the pick of choice.

Beyond that, the Jets could have addressed their needs by taking a page from the Minnesota Vikings’ book. Kendricks and Hunter both turned into Pro Bowlers in Minnesota. Petty never panned out at a project quarterback, and instead the Jets could have nabbed Crowder years before he arrived in New York as a free agent.

Original picks: LB Darron Lee (1st), QB Christian Hackenberg (2nd), LB Jordan Jenkins (3rd), CB Juston Burris (4th)

Redraft: DT Kenny Clark (1st), LB Deion Jones (2nd), Jenkins (3rd), DT Andrew Billings (4th)

Analysis: The Jets didn’t miss out on any superstars after picking Lee 20th. However, Lee never blossomed in New York. In the redraft, the Jets grab Kenny Clark, who has 12 sacks the past two seasons. Passing on Hackenberg in the redraft was a given, and the Jets instead land Jones, who was originally taken one pick later.

Jenkins is a suitable choice in the third round of the re-draft, while Billings could have turned into a regular on the defensive line and serves as a slight upgrade over Burris.

Original picks: S Jamal Adams (1st), S Marcus Maye (2nd), WR ArDarius Stewart (3rd), WR Chad Hansen (4th)

Redraft: QB Patrick Mahomes (1st), RB Dalvin Cook (2nd), WR Chris Godwin (3rd), TE George Kittle (4th)

Analysis: I know, this redraft looks at lot like one of the teams from the fantasy football draft you did last August.

The Jets didn’t miss when they picked Adams. He’s turned into one of the NFL’s top safeties during his time in New York. However, it’s impossible not to imagine what could have been with Mahomes, who has a Super Bowl ring, Super Bowl MVP, NFL MVP and a $503 million contract to his name. 

Maye has also turned out well for the Jets, but Dalvin Cook could have provided Le’Veon Bell-type production without the initial price tag.

The Jets certainly want their third- and fourth-round picks back. Godwin went five picks after Stewart and has turned into a star with the Buccaneers, while Kittle, who went in the beginning of the fifth round, would have given the Jets a dynamic tight end late in the fourth.

Let’s try not to think about this draft anymore.

Original picks: QB Sam Darnold (1st), DT Nathan Shepherd (3rd), TE Chris Herndon (4th)

Re-draft: Darnold (1st), DE Sam Hubbard (3rd), Herndon (4th)

Analysis: The Jets entered the 2018 in dire need of a franchise quarterback. After Baker Mayfield went No. 1 to the Cleveland Browns and the Giants picked Saquon Barkley No. 2, Darnold was the clear choice. LT Quenton Nelson went No. 6 overall, and he quickly turned into one of the game’s best blockers. While the Jets still need that type of talent on the offensive line, it’s hard to pass up a chance to land a potential franchise-changing quarterback, even in a redraft.

Shepherd hasn’t turned into a starter for the Jets, and just two years into his career, it’s still too early to say exactly what he’ll end up becoming. But Hubbard already has 14.5 sacks in his first two NFL seasons with the Bengals. Herndon remains a good choice in the fourth round. Despite his lost 2019 season, he showed plenty of promise as a rookie.

Original picks: DT Quinnen Williams (1st), LB Jachai Polite (3rd), OT Chuma Edoga (3rd), TE Trevon Wesco (4th)

Re-draft: LB Josh Allen (1st), WR Terry McLaurin (3rd), Edoga (3rd), Tony Pollard (4th)

Analysis: There’s still plenty of reason to believe Williams will turn into an impact player on the defensive line for years to come with the Jets. Allen just showed he was ready to make a major impact in the NFL right away. The Jacksonville Jaguars drafted the New Jersey product seventh overall, and he posted 10.5 sacks as a rookie.

Polite was cut before he ever played a regular-season snap for the Jets, and landing McLaurin, who pieced together an impressive rookie season in Washington, would have been a far preferable alternative. Edoga is still a work in progress, but there aren’t many other options that have jumped off the page from that part of the draft yet. 

Wesco had just two catches as a rookie, while Pollard put in solid work as the Dallas Cowboys’ backup running back.

I really hate articles like this 

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

^Knew Gholston was a stiff/thought Jachai Polite would be great

^Antagonizes #StanginiHive/Gets pissed when #StanginiHive blows up his notifications

Please. I laughed at the Polite pick.  It's here for all to see, I said he wasnt the type of athlete to excel next level the minute he was drafted.  I only came to his defense when people said he should have been cut after the 1st preseason game and for that, I feel shame but dont try to throw shade on my elite drafting ability.  I'm basically the best there is at this sh*t.

17 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

And the point is Watson coming out of school, with tons of talent around him he had 17 INTs to Darnolds 13.  That was why he was questioned, heavily.  There was not a big group calling for Watson. 

16 INTs for a 21 year old rookie QB on a talentless offense isnt a lot.  And has been prosted, he pressured more than others and when the horrific rate of pressure comes down he movers to the top of the QB section.

Yep and Vinny had 35 picks in his 2nd year with the Buc's in 1988.. He had 25 with the Jets in 2000..

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, JiF said:

Please. I laughed at the Polite pick.  It's here for all to see, I said he wasnt the type of athlete to excel next level the minute he was drafted.  I only came to his defense when people said he should have been cut after the 1st preseason game and for that, I feel shame but dont try to throw shade on my elite drafting ability.  I'm basically the best there is at this sh*t.

Eh. @Matt39 is better than you. You’re top five. @#27TheDominator is better than both of you in rounds 3-7

2 minutes ago, Warfish said:

As stated, I am sure we both agree that we hope this changes in 2020, and that he is not in the bottom 10 of INT's or Completion %.

Regardless, if I had a time machine and the power to change things, I still change the Adams/Watson selection, and would enjoy using the #1 and three #2's it cost us to get Darnold on other players.  That cost difference cannot be ignored in any Watson vs. Darnold comparison.  

TOTALLY agree on both counts.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

TLDR:  Jets Draft horribly.

Few at the time saw Mahomes as what he became.  I can give a pass on that one.

What I cannot give a pass to is selecting Adams over Watson in the 2017 NFL Draft.

I'd trade, today, Watson for Adams strait up.  Watson is better than Sam Darnold, and thus far, it's not close.

Doing so gets me back my 2018 #1 and THREE #2 picks.  That's a ton of talent to add to a roster improved by replacing Darnold with Watson.

No, IMO, that one pick, Adams over Watson, is one of the worst of the modern era.  Not because Adams isn't good, he is.  But because of how much it then cost us to get a worse (so far) QB in Darnold.  

Imagine Watson here, but add a #1 and three #2's worth of Offensive talent to what we already have.

Darnold fanbois will hate this opinion, of course, but if I could change any single pick in the period covered, it's be Adams and Watson.

But if I got to change more, definitely Geno Smith and Hackenberg, lol.

I advocated for Watson on draft day. The Jets had NO OFFENSE at the time. To take 2 safeties at the top of your draft in that circumstance was criminal. 

• Upvote 4

4 hours ago, nico002 said:

Lmao as wanting a ******* guard over Darnold. You idiots shouldn’t be allowed to enjoy what’s to come. 

I'd take Russell Wilson and Quentin Nelson over just Darnold. No matter how awesome he is, he can't do anything when he's on his back constantly. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, nico002 said:

Lmao as wanting a ******* guard over Darnold. You idiots shouldn’t be allowed to enjoy what’s to come. 

Nope.  It's about wanting Pat Mahomes and a Guard over Adams and Darnold.

Or, in my scenario, taking Russell Wilson in Rd 2 in 2012 and not needing a QB for the rest of the decade.

And if your next post is to say Darnold > Mahomes/Wilson you need to delete your account.

5 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Um but we landed the consensus best picks in every single one of those drafts so...

I went through all 10 drafts.  The only time the Jets legitimately ended up taking what could be considered the best player available in all of those picks was Lac Edwards, Rd 7, 2016.  

• Haha 1