Excited about Our New Secondary

TNJet

Great youth and competition available. Also underrated talent. 

Desir

B. Austin

Q. Wilson

Hall

Adams

Maye

Davis

L. Jackson

Poole

Hairston

I'd like to remind people here how smart Joe Douglas is. He creates continuity by bringing in guys that have already played together in some capacity. Creating a close knit team is obviously his goal. Desir, Hairston and Wilson all played together in Indy. Wilson, Maye and Poole all started together at Florida. They may even know Zuniga and Perine already. Just great team continuity building here, thanks JD!

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

I see what you're going for here and I give you props for keeping it positive. I don't know how much of this is on Douglas though. I believe Rex Hogan would be the Indy connection?

I do find it kind of strange that we brought in a bunch of players from a not-so-great secondary. Maybe it was just bad scheme fit?

I also wonder how much of this is on the players connecting with each other. Is it possible that a few guys like our scheme and some of the coaches? It's possible they all have a hand in it , just trying to get something good going.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, GKnight83 said:

A very interesting observation.  I think we will find out how much of this will be on the players.  I can see it going down as the OP suggests.  I can also see it breaking down into cliques,  Let us hope for the positive. 

I expect a lot of gossiping of out this bunch.

I look at this group this way.  

They havent proven they're good but hopefully they'll add to a pretty good starting point for a solid defense off a year ago from Williams.  They needed help in the secondary so hopefully they do.  I'll hold judgment with this unit before getting too excited though

• Upvote 1

On a more serious note. I love what might come of Bryce Hall and Bless Austin. 

We can poopoo Bless’s performance but 6th round rookies don’t perform at his level, it just doesn’t happen unless that player is legit. There’s something there and I think that’s why Gregg Williams benched him. He made a boneheaded play and then got down on himself, so Williams took it upon himself to teach the rookie a lesson. I think he snags the starting role and becomes a very good press man/ Cover 3 corner. 

I have no hope for Quincy Wilson and think that the depth chart ends up 

CB1 - Bless 

CB 2 - Desir 

Slot- Poole 

CB 3 - Maulet 

CB 4 - Hall 

CB 5 - FA pickup/ Hairston

52 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

On a more serious note. I love what might come of Bryce Hall and Bless Austin. 

We can poopoo Bless’s performance but 6th round rookies don’t perform at his level, it just doesn’t happen unless that player is legit. There’s something there and I think that’s why Gregg Williams benched him. He made a boneheaded play and then got down on himself, so Williams took it upon himself to teach the rookie a lesson. I think he snags the starting role and becomes a very good press man/ Cover 3 corner. 

I have no hope for Quincy Wilson and think that the depth chart ends up 

CB1 - Bless 

CB 2 - Desir 

Slot- Poole 

CB 3 - Maulet 

CB 4 - Hall 

CB 5 - FA pickup/ Hairston

I agree with everything you said except the part about Wilson. Kid has potential, led Florida in ints his last year, and is 6foot1. The odd men out will be Hairston he was awful last year, and probably rookie Jackson. Maybe even Maulet.

I just am pretty sure that about all of these guys are better players than we've had the last 4 years.

Skrine

Roberts

Trumaine

Might have been the worst our corners ever were. Complete 5th string scrubs starting. I also thought we gave up on Justin Burris we drafted out of NC State too soon. He made some good plays and had potential.

9 hours ago, Greenbloodblitz said:

I do find it kind of strange that we brought in a bunch of players from a not-so-great secondary. Maybe it was just bad scheme fit?

I believe Indy switched from primarily using Man-to-Man to primarily using Zone.  That prompted a complete turnover in their secondary. 

• Upvote 2

It is much improved but still shaky.

Desir - Stop gap but could be serviceable or better

B. Austin - Showed potential early last year but will have to pick it up from there.

Q. Wilson - This one is not good imo, he'll be off the team by mid season.  In essence I think the guy sucks.

Hall - This was a very good get, could be a steal player

Adams - no comment

Maye - One foot out the door, if Davis is good he is gone after this year.

Davis - Hated the pick originally but one of adams or maye is gone probably after this year.

L. Jackson - Don;t expect much but he may suprise.

Poole - Pretty good player glad we got him back.

Hairston - I don;t expect much,

• Upvote 1

similar to the OL situation  ... hope that the group will come together ... an upgrade in talent from last year ... but still could totally blow up ... or could wind up being very good.

the extra positive with the DB's is we have a superstar, when he's on the field, idiot playing there at the moment

32 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

It is much improved but still shaky.

Desir - Stop gap but could be serviceable or better

B. Austin - Showed potential early last year but will have to pick it up from there.

Q. Wilson - This one is not good imo, he'll be off the team by mid season.  In essence I think the guy sucks.

Hall - This was a very good get, could be a steal player

Adams - no comment

Maye - One foot out the door, if Davis is good he is gone after this year.

Davis - Hated the pick originally but one of adams or maye is gone probably after this year.

L. Jackson - Don;t expect much but he may suprise.

Poole - Pretty good player glad we got him back.

Hairston - I don;t expect much,

I agree Adams has one foot out the door, and Maye our best cover guy, no comment needed more.

8 hours ago, TNJet said:

I agree with everything you said except the part about Wilson. Kid has potential, led Florida in ints his last year, and is 6foot1. The odd men out will be Hairston he was awful last year, and probably rookie Jackson. Maybe even Maulet.

I see your good in college point and raise you “bad throughout his professional career”.

• Thumb Down 1

5 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

I see your good in college point and raise you “bad throughout his professional career”.

He didn't fit the Colts system. Gregg Williams has made average players good. See Jets 2019 CBs.

8 minutes ago, TNJet said:

He didn't fit the Colts system. Gregg Williams has made average players good. See Jets 2019 CBs.

He’s a press man cover 3 zone corner and was mediocre at that role. That’s the best he’s ever done, mediocrity. His athletic profile doesn’t give much room for improvement outside of that system.

What Bless and Maulet did last season is better than Wilson has ever played. 

15 hours ago, Greenbloodblitz said:

I see what you're going for here and I give you props for keeping it positive. I don't know how much of this is on Douglas though. I believe Rex Hogan would be the Indy connection?

I also wonder how much of this is on the players connecting with each other. Is it possible that a few guys like our scheme and some of the coaches? It's possible they all have a hand in it , just trying to get something good going.

Lol so he gets all the blame...but...

20 hours ago, TNJet said:

Great youth and competition available. Also underrated talent. 

Desir

B. Austin

Q. Wilson

Hall

Adams

Maye

Davis

L. Jackson

Poole

Hairston

I'd like to remind people here how smart Joe Douglas is. He creates continuity by bringing in guys that have already played together in some capacity. Creating a close knit team is obviously his goal. Desir, Hairston and Wilson all played together in Indy. Wilson, Maye and Poole all started together at Florida. They may even know Zuniga and Perine already. Just great team continuity building here, thanks JD!

I thought we traded Jamal Adams and signed Logan Ryan when I saw your excitement about "our new secondary."

• Haha 2