JetsLife

Gase Malaise - I Tried

23 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

No he is not a good oc at all.  He has totally been in charge of the offense side of the ball in his hc years and the offenses have been consistently terrible.

(1-7) + (6-2) = 20.19

SAR I

35 minutes ago, Butterfield said:

Not the type of coach i would hire.  

Because the team you predicted to go 6-10 perfectly healthy went 7-9 completely injured. 

Because the team that opened 1-7 with every reason to quit finished 6-2 and bought in to the coaching staff.  

Because the quarterback that needed to take the next step, did, going 7-5 through mono and ending the season 6-2 with 14 TD, 4 INT, 93.3 RAT. 

What a bad coach.   Makes Kotite look like Lombardi.  

SAR I

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dcat said:

that sizes it up for me.  The problem is not his being HC.  The problem is the lunacy of his offense. 

Darrell Loggains doesn’t get paid $400,000 a year to hold a clipboard.  He was a rookie OC. If the offense struggles, Loggains will potentially be replaced.  If Darnold excels but the team’s record doesn’t reflect it, Loggains will be retained. 

Gase is the head coach.  The head coach did a great job in a catastrophe last season.  

SAR I

6 minutes ago, Butterfield said:

What?  I didn’t predict any of that.  

Post a link to your prediction for the 2019 New York Jets from last August.  

SAR I

3 minutes ago, Dcat said:

The players like him well enough.  Landry was a primadonna biatch in Miami.  What you saw last year was an incoherent Gase offense.   Just like they have been everywhere except for Denver when Manning did what he wanted.   LOL @ it being a "Loggains" offense.  You will have to prove that one.  That's just pure nonsense. 

I look forward to seeing vast improvement in the game plan.  

Well, if Gase gets 100% of the criticism of the offense then he also gets 100% of the praise for the defense.  Not bad. 

SAR I

2 hours ago, Dcat said:

Williams runs the defense.  Gase runs the offense with help from his sidekick.  What is it you don't understand about this fact?  Why are you trying to distort the truth about who runs this offense?  It is Gase.   Not Loggains.

I've been to Jets camp and I'm in field level seats 2 hours before kickoff for 8 home games last season.  Loggains is running the offense.  Like many head coaches Gase has influence on the plays called, but Gase is not our offensive coordinator and Loggains is more than a puppet.  I know this breaks the convenient narrative that Gase runs the O but that's simply not true.  He's a head coach.  He has too much responsibility to be just the OC.  Loggains comes to NJ to become an OC, not carry a clipboard, he's not interested in that type of career destruction.

2 hours ago, Dcat said:

Defense is Williams and no one else. 

Williams is surely given a level of autonomy based on his age and experience level, but Gase is the head coach and Gase surely has input during weekly gameplan prep and in-game situations.  Gase demands a blitz, Adams steals the ball for a TD, and everyone praises Gregg as if Adam had nothing to do with it. 

It's just silly.  Gase is the head coach.  He gets credit when we win, he gets criticism when we lose, this media creation that Gase is responsible for all the failure and Darnold and Gregg get all the credit for the surprising victories is boiler-plate Manish-level media trolling at its finest.

SAR I

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Butterfield said:

I didn’t make any projections.  I don’t spend my time doing such things.  I certainly don’t have time to be looking through old posts anyways.  

Let's agree as gentlemen that you didn't have the Jets making the playoffs or having a winning record.  And, if you're like 90% of the posters on JN, you had the Jets at 6-10 or 7-9 and that's what Adam Gase delivered.

You can't criticize a head coach who achieved the expectation you had at the start of the season, especially considering the obstacles thrown at him during the season.  If anything, you should be impressed that he was able to achieve your performance goal with either a sick or third-string quarterback for the first half of the season.  Either way, Jets players, Jets coaches, and the majority of Jets fans see it my way, not yours.

SAR I

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Very knowledgeable post.  Darrell Loggains, first name Dowell, was a rookie OC, despite having been OC for Tennessee in 2014 under Munchak, for Chicago in 2016 and 2017 under Fox and in 2018 in Miami.  

Spellcheck.  First year in New York.  

Loggains is an OC, not a clipboard holder.  Blame Gase for the hire if you like, but you don't blame Gase for the offense.  Head coaches and offensive coordinators are different things.  

SAR I

1 hour ago, slats said:

That didn't happen, though, so Gase is going to have to get this ragtag offense performing a lot better against a tougher schedule this year, with much less time to prepare. It's a tall order but, unlike the previous six Jet HC hires, Gase failed to secure a winning season in his first year, so he doesn't really get a honeymoon period. The fans already have the pitchforks out. 

The extenuating circumstances of this upcoming season are likely going to give every NFL head coach a pass, I wouldn't expect any turnover frankly.  Which owner could properly judge his HC if we are (assumed to be) playing under restricted practice conditions, no preseason games, virus outbreaks, sick players replaced by backups, starters quarantined from backups, road game anxieties, and the rest.

This isn't going to be a typical season on many levels, and the owner that fires a head coach during a pandemic season isn't going to endear himself to quality candidates in 2021.  Based on his past successes, the '19 finish, and Darnold's need for consistency, I don't think Adam Gase gets fired under any circumstances.  In fact, I think the Jets are extremely fortunate to have everything in place and a patient plan for growth at this unfortunate moment in history.  The teams with a brand new head coach or a Bowles lame-duck head coach are in a world of trouble, not us.

SAR I

1 hour ago, Lith said:

I am beginning to come around to this way of thinking.  That he may be a better HC than he is an OC.

Bingo.

And that's exactly what we want and have wanted for the last 20 years-  a great (hell, just competent would have been nice) Head Coach.  What Gase proved last year by going 6-2 after 1-7 was an amazing accomplishment on so many levels.  Head Coaches have to be great at these things:

1  Culture
2  Motivation
3  Leadership
4  Strategy

Gase aced 1, 2, and 3 last season in buckets, no Jets head coach had so many challenges thrown at them in a single season let alone a first season in tumultuous conditions.  As for 4, we get to see that when the roster is improved and the injuries are controllable.  I'm hopeful.  We all should be.

SAR I

32 minutes ago, Dcat said:

We may not be in disagreement.  Let's clarify what we both mean by the vague term "running the offense".  

Offensive play design: 100% Gase
Seeing that the team does the reps in practice and follows the script: Louggains

It is Gase's offense.  Loggains just doing the grunt work.  

After Darnold had his awful ghosts game, I pictured Sam, Loggains, and Gase in a room working together to come up with a set of plays and situations to suit the skills of the ragtag offense they were forced to run after the injuries took out half the squad.  Would you not agree?

Put it this way-  1-7 was inevitable considering the roster and injuries.  Someone gets the credit for 6-2.  So it's either:

A  Gase, because you think he's 100% responsible for play design, well, there you go, had to be him.  We can end the conversation right there.  Gase proved he's a good OC going 6-2 with that heap of crap O.

B  Loggains, because he's the OC and he threw down his clipboard and threw Gase out of the room, it was a coup, took complete control of the offense in November.

C  Darnold, because a 22 year old kid would throw both Gase and Loggains out of the room after getting his mom's permission and some plays on the back of napkins from Jordan Palmer.

So what is it?  Who gets credit for 6-2?  It happened.  It wasn't a fluke.  Someone did a great job of turning ghosts into goalposts.

SAR I

8 hours ago, whodeawhodat said:

my excitement to see our offense with more "gase" personnel on the offensive side of the ball is tempered by the limited offseason.  Will need time to gel/mesh so hopefully we can pull out a couple of early games until we get into a rhythm. 

Untitled.jpg

2-2
6-2
2-2

That's the path to 10-6 and the AFCE championship.  I can see us opening 4-0, actually.

SAR I

8 hours ago, PS17 said:

This. Gase is decent at managing personalities. Problem is his offenses the past four years have ranked in the bottom third of the league each year. Dead last in 2019, and 31st in 2018 with Miami. 

Lost Darnold for 5 weeks in 2019 and lost Tannehill for 6 weeks in 2018.

Like do you think we're going to forget these facts?  Do you take us for stupid?

SAR I

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, vic said:

The Johnson brothers are in my mind the main reason for years of ineptitude. They have never followed the road map to success. I hope they allow Douglas to do what he sees fit. He is the one providing hope for this organization.

Johnson brother, not brothers.

Christopher Johnson is the reason for the Jets quick turnaround.  He announced a rebuild and rid the locker room of malcontents in 2017, quickly moved up to draft Sam Darnold in 2018, aggressively hired Adam Gase in 2019, and green lit the hiring of Gregg Williams and Joe Douglas.  Unlike the Bills and Dolphins who have been rebuilding for 30 years, we are done in less than 3 and ready to take the AFC East title.

Christopher Johnson is the man.  Everything good that's happened to us since 2016 is directly due to him.  We'd better hope he's still the CEO when his brother comes home.

SAR I

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company