Redskins no more-team retires name

three where does it end..

It probably ends when we're not naming teams after racial slurs used against historicly oppressed or abused ethnic or racial groups, and don't use racial or ethnic stereotype imagery as sports teams logos without the buy-in of those racial or ethnic groups.

so huge mistake.... is there any benefit? if you have one tell me

Pragmatically, the benefit is the name/logo becomes non-controversial, the advertisers continue to buy-in to the team, the co-owners stop seeking to sell their shares, the team will sell more gear (which helps every NFL team, but the Washington team most) and they can perhaps shed their recent decades of horrible play with a "fresh new era" vibe.  And younger fans, more in-tune with modern ethics, will be more likely to root for the team.

Is the a cost we should be concerned about?  If so, you'll have to tell me.

6 minutes ago, sciond said:

Polling  done by the ream....

A new study from the University of California Berkeley surveyed more than 1,000 American Indians and reported Tuesday that a plurality of respondents find the Washington Redskins‘ team nickname offensive.

The poll found 49% of respondents either agreed or strongly agreed that the name is offensive, 38% “were not bothered by it” and the rest “were undecided or indifferent.”

The rate was higher among people who consider their heritage a strong part of their identities.

“Of those polled for the study, 57% who strongly identify with being Native American and 67% of those who frequently engage in tribal cultural practices were found to be deeply insulted by caricatures of Native American culture,” a news release from the university said.

This is the most recent major poll.

2 minutes ago, Warfish said:

This is the most recent major poll.

I don't trust that versus the team polling, but that is my opinion.They might as well used a poll from Siberia. Polling these days seems suspect, but who knows. No claim here to be an expert.

6 minutes ago, sciond said:

I don't trust that versus the team polling, but that is my opinion.They might as well used a poll from Siberia. Polling these days seems suspect, but who knows. No claim here to be an expert.

You mean the clearly biased one that would make the team look good?

Jennifer Lawrence Reaction GIF

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

You mean the clearly biased one that would make the team look good?

Jennifer Lawrence Reaction GIF

Show your evidence. Also what makes you think the one you like is not biased? Show your evidence for that as well.. This is the problem when people try to make statements of facts without them. If you look  I clearly said it was my opinion because I am no expert nor do I have all the facts. Seriously neither one of us can state anything as facts. We have opinions as I stated. But hey throw up a gif instead I guess... I am done.

5 minutes ago, UKPanda said:

Never heard of that one before. Will have a look, thanks

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

If you're into this kind of stuff, and ever find yourself down in DC/NoVA, definitely check out the Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center, part of the Smithsonian collection.  It is amazing, vastly better than the actual Air & Space museum in DC itself.  A treasure trove of history.

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Whether its 10 %, 30 %, 50 % or more Indigenous people who have a problem with the name, it doesn't really matter, does it?  

It absolutely matters. What if it was 1% or .1% - or 90% or 99.9%? That would matter greatly.

2 hours ago, sciond said:

one tradition

two principle.. why let a small group of vocal people control your decisions. Especially since I would bet they don't support the team

three where does it end..

so huge mistake.... is there any benefit? if you have one tell me

this actually has to be one of the most ignorant posts i have ever read.

congrats.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

1 hour ago, Losmeister said:

this actually has to be one of the most ignorant posts i have ever read.

congrats.

It isn't ignorant it is relevant.  I'd say yours is, for how you put it.  Falling for age old 'everything is absolutes' mantra.

11 hours ago, JTJet said:

Jets: Dropped bombs on civilians since WWI.

As we've learned so distinctly this year, the right framing can demonize anything. 

The team is named after commercial jets. The 60s.  Commercial flights were futuristic hip happening and groovy 

1 minute ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

i feel like this is pretty short sighted and ignorant by the team. Its almost as if they forgot the whole point honoring the native american with their name part. 

Lol. Good one. Imagine if someone actually believed that. Haha ?

• WTF? 1

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/washington-redskins/new-poll-finds-90-percent-native-americans-not-offended-redskins-name

this article and poll is old but the point is relevant. No one is offended by a team honoring native american, including native Americans. Only in todays world of fake outrage do we care about non nfl fans think about the name. You know what they should be listening to? Actual fans of the team. 

They should be concerned about fixing their team, i know we are exactly the best team to talk about it, especially since the uniform change was legit hot topic for us fans last year, but my point is. Letting these idgits trample on history and common sense is stupid.

6 minutes ago, Larz said:

Lol. Good one. Imagine if someone actually believed that. Haha ?

I think i am having trouble understanding your post. Believed what? the honoring the native Americans part? you disagree? maybe try googling Native American Walter “Blackie” Wetzel, or the black feet tribe.

I might be just reading your post wrong idk, but this is the basic problem with the whole thing, fake outrage about made up racism..literally turning honoring native Americans into the opposite because of ignorance. Mob rule baby, its terrible.

15 minutes ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/washington-redskins/new-poll-finds-90-percent-native-americans-not-offended-redskins-name

this article and poll is old but the point is relevant. No one is offended by a team honoring native american, including native Americans. Only in todays world of fake outrage do we care about non nfl fans think about the name. You know what they should be listening to? Actual fans of the team. 

They should be concerned about fixing their team, i know we are exactly the best team to talk about it, especially since the uniform change was legit hot topic for us fans last year, but my point is. Letting these idgits trample on history and common sense is stupid.

You think the word Redskin is an honor? ?

3 hours ago, sciond said:

2016: Polls show Hillary Clinton will be the next President of the United States. Polls are for losers. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

You think the word Redskin is an honor? ?

I think the team honored Native Americans with the logo and name. yes. can't really dispute that. To act like they are a bunch a racist is pretty ignorant.

14 minutes ago, Jetster said:

2016: Polls show Hillary Clinton will be the next President of the United States. Polls are for losers. 

ha this made me laugh...little context is needed. your poll was just made up of her supporters and prediction of an outcome based on one side - that pretty much everyone knew was BS. Mine was asking Native Americans without preposition if they take offense to word in relation to a team that used it to honor them.

No one reasonable thinks the redskins organization, team, players, fans etc used it in any pejorative/racist way. Quite the opposite, it is very well documented that is was to honor and respect the native peoples in the area.  Honoring the locale inherent to the team.

The team obviously has succumbed to the ignorant mob. As I'm sure others will too, its sad really.

• Thumb Down 1

7 minutes ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

I think the team honored Native Americans with the logo and name. yes. can't really dispute that. To act like they are a bunch a racist is pretty ignorant.

ha this made me laugh...little context is needed. your poll was just made up of her supporters and prediction of an outcome based on one side - that pretty much everyone knew was BS. Mine was asking Native Americans without preposition if they take offense to word in relation to a team that used it to honor them.

No one reasonable thinks the redskins organization, team, players, fans etc used it in any pejorative/racist way. Quite the opposite, it is very well documented that is was to honor and respect the native peoples in the area.  Honoring the locale inherent to the team.

The team obviously has succumbed to the ignorant mob. As I'm sure others will too, its sad really.

Every ethnic group has a derogatory name

What is the derogatory name for Native Americans if it’s not the word Redskin?

michael jackson popcorn GIF