Redskins no more-team retires name

7 hours ago, Il Mostro said:

This crap is getting out of hand.  In my city's school district we have four high schools.  The snowflakes are tailgating the Redskins conversation about the high school named Warriors. (Not the movie p****tards -- pre-emptive strike).

So let's look at the other three schools.  

Spartans - Cultural appropriation of the Greek culture.

Saxons - Germanic people offended by cultural appropriation.

Tartars - Turkic appropriation.

Everything is potentially racist.  Anything and everything can be offensive to anyone in this batsh*t crazy society.

So what plain-wrap names are inoffensive enough for the ultra sensitive, skinny jeans, hair bun, testosterone deficient soy boys?  *Anything* can be manipulated and made offensive to people today, whether or not it has a shred of legitimacy.

**** this sh*t! I am done with any sport that panders to the idiotic whims of an ignorant, hypocritical and destructive mob. 

Is it the skinny jeans soy boys who are ultra sensitive because you seem super bent out of shape over in your wrangler jeans with your steak and  potatoes with your dip in your lip over something completely insignificant in the grand scheme of things.  It's just a silly name for a silly team in a silly sport.  Life, will indeed, go on.  Yet, you're so bent so bent out of shape over it, you now have to give up every single major sport because they've all pandered, homeboy!

I think curling still is cool with racism though...

• Upvote 3

Just a few random thoughts here...

As far as new team names being that just about anything can be deemed as offensive these days, if things are framed a particular way...

I'm a bit of a "foodie".  How about each NFL team has the name and logo of the food their state is most known for ???

Philadelphia Cheese Steaks

New England Chowdahs

Kansas City BBQ Ribs

Atlanta Biscuits & Gravy

Etc...

Also... Since the Confederate Battle Flag is out, there needs to be a new flag that represents the spirit of the south.  A collage of all the best the south has to offer.  

The sun (its warm and sunny down there)

A southern Belle in a pair of Daisy Dukes 

A big plate of shrimp and grits

Oranges, Peaches, etc

Biscuits & Gravy

Bourbon / Mint Julip

Peach Cobbler

A nice, juicy plate of fried chicken. 

Crawdaddies...

Etc. 

Get 'em all on one flag and you got the perfect replacement for the Confed battle flag...

10 hours ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

I think the team honored Native Americans with the logo and name. yes. can't really dispute that. To act like they are a bunch a racist is pretty ignorant.

The team owner who changed the name from Braves to Redskins was a blatant racist and the last team in the NFL to desegregate, seven years after the second to last team desegregated. His reason? He didn’t think fans of his team, which he had marketed successfully to the south via radio, didn’t want blacks on the team.  

To act like they weren’t racist is ignorant. To think that particular racist didn’t understand the different connotations between Braves and Redskins, and which name honored native peoples and which one was a slur, would also seem to be pretty dim. 

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

I guess the point I'm trying to convey is they used it to honor them

You are acting like it’s Florida State naming their team after the Seminoles - an actual tribe that was local to that area.

Calling a Native American a Redskin is like calling a Black person something I would get banned for even typing.  I don’t even think they should change the name but the fact the people are trying to rationalize that word as an honor is nonsense

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

We took out Tucker and the Redskins yesterday. We’re doing the Seattle Mariners and Chuck Woolery next week, just as a flex. 

But if we take out Chuck Woolery, who's going to guide us through this hoax i mean, pandemic?

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

We took out Tucker and the Redskins yesterday. We’re doing the Seattle Mariners and Chuck Woolery next week, just as a flex. 

Chuck "COVID is all a lie, there is no such thing as COVID, it's an Election Conspiracy!" Woolery?

6 hours ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

They are listening to a ridiculous  mob that decided redskin was offensive  bexaus they were ignorant of the teams history or actual native American viewpoint. 

There is definitely some ignorance here.  I just don't think it's where you think it is.  Reading this, I don't think you know very much about the history of the team or of Native Americans.

Again, I'd suggest a visit to the National Museum here in DC for Native Americans.  I think you'd find it eye opening.....presuming you don't pull a Chuck Woolery and decry the entire museum as fake news.

16 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Avoiding using team nicknames that are either racial slurs (Redskins) or not accurate to describe a people (Indians)?  I'd say that's a positive.  

Except the name was never a racial slur and was never meant to be.  The name was made up by the actual Indians we're trying to protect from the name.  

16 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

They do.  @TeddEY clearly demonstrated that earlier in the thread.

So you invent the name that was invented to differentiate yourselves from whites and blacks and then 80 or so years after a team like the Redskins, with so much tradition, branding etc tied up into that name, you decide you dont like it and they should dump it?  Spend millions on changing It everywhere?

I could care less but it does seem a little much, especially the name calling and finger pointing over a name.  Especially without it being a clear cut racial slur or insult to their heritage 

9 hours ago, The Crimson King said:

plus>

NOT OK:

Jets: produce noise and atmospheric pollution

Dolphins: May be more intellegent than certain humans

Steelers: More nasty pollution

Titans: Conjurs up evil Wall Street

Colts: Too close to Colt 45, a weapon

Saints: no politics, no religion

Falcons: poorly made Ford

Buccaneers: low farm prices hurt growers 

OK:

Bengals: transgender more than acceptable

BTW, love your updated avatar.

Sucks, ran out and got great King Crimson tickets for this past June and obviously shows were cancelled.  Good part is they were actually delayed, gave you the option to keep your same tickets for next year when they'll tour again, hopefully.  

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Except the name was never a racial slur and was never meant to be.  The name was made up by the actual Indians we're trying to protect from the name.  

Maybe consider that its OK for natives to use "red skin" in their vernacular and its in bad taste or worse for paleface to use it?

6 minutes ago, Kleckineau said:

Maybe consider that its OK for natives to use "red skin" in their vernacular and its in bad taste or worse for paleface to use it?

Really, is that what it is?  They named themselves red to differentiate themselves from those called white and black so that the natives would know the difference?  The natives, they were the ones confused?  LOL, somehow I'm not looking at that as the reason

I dont have a problem with the name change, whatever the team thinks, its their $$, their logo, history, etc.  I dont get crazy over names.  And other than a few white folk making most of the noise it wouldn't be the big deal it is.  

27 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

So you invent the name that was invented to differentiate yourselves from whites and blacks and then 80 or so years after a team like the Redskins, with so much tradition, branding etc tied up into that name, you decide you dont like it and they should dump it?  Spend millions on changing It everywhere?

I could care less but it does seem a little much, especially the name calling and finger pointing over a name.  Especially without it being a clear cut racial slur or insult to their heritage 

The team got its name when they were the Boston Braves and the owner George P. Marshall wanted a different name to differentiate from the Boston Braves baseball team

it was never meant to “honor” Native Americans and has been a pejorative term for Native Americans for hundreds of years

22 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

BTW, love your updated avatar.

Sucks, ran out and got great King Crimson tickets for this past June and obviously shows were cancelled.  Good part is they were actually delayed, gave you the option to keep your same tickets for next year when they'll tour again, hopefully.  

Adrien Belew and Jerry Harrison were gonna get together with a funk band from Brooklyn called Turkuaz to perform the Talking Heads' Remain In Light album this year. That's what's got me crying in my beer. 

3 minutes ago, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

Short people have no reason to live. 

5 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

The team got its name when they were the Boston Braves and the owner George P. Marshall wanted a different name to differentiate from the Boston Braves baseball team

it was never meant to “honor” Native Americans and has been a pejorative term for Native Americans for hundreds of years

The name was started by Native Americans.

The name was take for the team not to honor anyone.  So?  Name Ravens was taken to honor ravens everywhere?  Panthers?  etc

1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

The name was take for the team not to honor anyone.  So?  Name Ravens was taken to honor ravens everywhere?  Panthers?  etc

Wrong hill to die on. Ravens honors Edgar Allen Poe, who resided in the city. Who knows about any of those big cat names... lol. 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Really, is that what it is?  They named themselves red to differentiate themselves from those called white and black so that the natives would know the difference?  The natives, they were the ones confused?  LOL, somehow I'm not looking at that as the reason

I dont have a problem with the name change, whatever the team thinks, its their $$, their logo, history, etc.  I dont get crazy over names.  And other than a few white folk making most of the noise it wouldn't be the big deal it is.  

Ok then try this social experiment. Next time you meet any true native american (and I am not talking about an Elizabeth Warren type) when introduced, say with your warmest smile and firm hand shake  " wow, hey I am pleased to make the aquaintance of a real redskin!

Let us know how that works out for ya.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, slats said:

Adrien Belew and Jerry Harrison were gonna get together with a funk band from Brooklyn called Turkuaz to perform the Talking Heads' Remain In Light album this year. That's what's got me crying in my beer. 

Short people have no reason to live. 

How great would that have been?  Belew doing Heads?  

One of, if the best show I ever saw was the Heads back in their heyday with Belew at Radio City.  Amazing, incredible music and band.  

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

No it wasn’t.  You’re rewriting history to fit the half tailed argument you got from tv

3 hours ago, Kleckineau said:

Ok then try this social experiment. Next time you meet any true native american (and I am not talking about an Elizabeth Warren type) when introduced, say with your warmest smile and firm hand shake  " wow, hey I am pleased to make the aquaintance of a real redskin!

Let us know how that works out for ya.

Actually that's my other slant on all of this.  I've never, ever called anyone, anywhere redskin.  

And, no its not the same thing.  Having a long standing 80 year logo associated with an organization that never slighted your people, never came close to it and insulting someone by using it as and insult aren't the same.  Pass the cracker and calling someone a cracker to their face aren't the same either

As I said, if it bothers them strongly enough change the damn name

• WTF? 1

4 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

No it wasn’t.  You’re rewriting history to fit the half tailed argument you got from tv

Look above and I posted it.  Yes it was.  The name originated from NAs who wanted to differentiate themselves from "whites" & "blacks".  Especially blacks, who were slaves

Sorry if that doesn't fit your argument

7 hours ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

Sure but let's not act like those voices are the ones they are listening to. They are listening to a ridiculous  mob that decided redskin was offensive  bexaus they were ignorant of the teams history or actual native American viewpoint.  But I also dont thing sponsors or minor owners for that matter should be able to change the name. That should be the majority owner or maybe the fans.

Ignorance is a decidedly two way street.  The name change was petitioned by the American Indian council in 1968.  Before the "Mob" spoke up the intelligent, respectful Indians seeking some respect were completely ignored.  

The "mob" is actually American public opinion changing over 50 plus years so that it's no longer profitable to slander natives for commercial profit.   You may not like that but I'm a big believer in Capitalism and it's simply weeding out an unprofitable position by the owner of the Washington NFL franchise.  A man who has proved over and over again that he is a jackass, completely out of touch with common decency on many levels beyond this one issue.  He has been dragged kicking and screaming to this position for one reason, His wallet isn't heavy enough to give him the ballast he needs to keep the mob of NFL owners from forcing his hand. 

• Upvote 1