I Love It (Redskins Fans Outrage) - How Would YOU Feel?

I've been closely following the Redskins name issue (full disclosure, I'm a huge fan of the pending name-change,  no matter what the new name turns out to be).

I am absolutely LOVING how pissed off so many Redskins fans are over this issue.  Especially today, they are in full blown outrage mode, claiming they'll drop the team and never watch again (despite claiming to be Skins fans for 30, 40, 50 years, etc.)

Doesn't seem to matter that it's just a name.  Doesn't seem to matter that the team is the same team (this isn't the Ravens/Browns issue).  Doesn't seem to matter that it's still the home town Washington Team (I'm in the DC area, hence why I hear this all day not Jets stuff, lol).  And winning/losing is rarely cited as a reason, this is 100% the name.  Seems the colors will stay the same, so it's literally just a name and logo.

I got to admit, I am thoroughly enjoying this.  

With that said, how would YOU, as a Jets Fan, feel is next year Woody Johnson comes back to the States and says "the name Jets is old fashioned and boring and outdated, it was cool in the 60's when Jets were the new thing, now, it's old tech.  We're going to change the name in 2021".

Would you be like the Redskins fans and be in full outrage?

Would you stop being a Jets/New Name Fan and seek out a new team?

Would you no longer see the new named team as "your team"?

Would you (as some of the pissed off callers today) start rooting for the Bills, the Patriots, the Phins?  Some of these guys are saying they'll start being Philly fans, lol.

And do you think it would be different because of the socio-political aspects of the Skins name change (i.e. the pressure, the political correctness, etc.) vs. "just changing it" in my scenario above?

What do you think?

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 6
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

18 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Being from the same general area let me answer the question if another thread was necessary? YES, sports radio DC area fan outrage is like unlimited hot wings, it’s never anything but delicious. 

Didn't realize a thread existed (the last one got locked), and I didn't presume they'd be another already today, my bad.

Point is a bit different tho, this isn't about the Skins, it's more about how Jets Fans would feel if WE changed our name.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Didn't realize a thread existed (the last one got locked), and I didn't presume they'd be another already today, my bad.

Point is a bit different tho, this isn't about the Skins, it's more about how Jets Fans would feel if WE changed our name.

Please don't apologize I enjoy the taste of their tears. Thank you. 

• Haha 4

2 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

"
Washington Walruses, "Coocoocachoo"

When I finally get TV service in Mexico, I'll probably be connected to a Cincinnati feed. Don't ask me why, that's what the guy told me. If I want NY in HD, I need bigger, more expensive equipment. So the Bengals will probably be a team I follow a bit. Probably see quite a bit of the Cleveland Mayfields, too. 

But yeah, if Washington changed the name to the Glass Onions, it would probably peak my interest. 

• Haha 4

6 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Please don't apologize I enjoy the taste of their tears. Thank you. 

Oh Crush, didn't even realize that was you when I quoted, the avatar change threw me, lol.

You and me, at a Redwolves game in 2021 post-COVID?  Lol!

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, slats said:

As I've gotten older, I've dropped just about every sport outside of the Jets and the NFL. A name change, quite honestly, would probably result in another degree of separation between me and whatever they chose to call themselves. I don't think I'd be outraged or anything, just think I'd be like, "ho-hum," and potentially, subtly start to drift away. 

Same here... still a Yankee, Rangers Knicks fan BUT living in NC, not listening to local sports radio, I could take it or leave it.   In Mexico for example...  you forget that sports even exists.  

• Haha 2

38 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Would you (as some of the pissed off callers today) start rooting for the Bills, the Patriots, the Phins?  Some of these guys are saying they'll start being Philly fans, lol.

And do you think it would be different because of the socio-political aspects of the Skins name change (i.e. the pressure, the political correctness, etc.) vs. "just changing it" in my scenario above?

What do you think?

I was a Titan fan from the teams start in 1960. In 1963 I joined the AF and was a part of SAC so when they changed the name to Jets it was cool for me. :beer:

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

38 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I've been closely following the Redskins name issue (full disclosure, I'm a huge fan of the pending name-change,  no matter what the new name turns out to be).

I am absolutely LOVING how pissed off so many Redskins fans are over this issue.  Especially today, they are in full blown outrage mode, claiming they'll drop the team and never watch again (despite claiming to be Skins fans for 30, 40, 50 years, etc.)

Doesn't seem to matter that it's just a name.  Doesn't seem to matter that the team is the same team (this isn't the Ravens/Browns issue).  Doesn't seem to matter that it's still the home town Washington Team (I'm in the DC area, hence why I hear this all day not Jets stuff, lol).  And winning/losing is rarely cited as a reason, this is 100% the name.  Seems the colors will stay the same, so it's literally just a name and logo.

I got to admit, I am thoroughly enjoying this.  

With that said, how would YOU, as a Jets Fan, feel is next year Woody Johnson comes back to the States and says "the name Jets is old fashioned and boring and outdated, it was cool in the 60's when Jets were the new thing, now, it's old tech.  We're going to change the name in 2021".

Would you be like the Redskins fans and be in full outrage?

What do you think?

I like how you claim you're a big fan of the team changing its name and then in the next paragraph laugh at the fans outrage claiming its "just a name". By that logic, why were you a fan of changing it in the first place then? 

Personally, professional sports is on a downward slope for me. I already stopped watching NBA, mlb etc. I have watched a bit more UFC though. With that said, I'm on the fans side, it just seems as though the league has continued to kow tow to a vocal minority. I certainly would be pissed if the Jets changed their name, why what's the point? 

If there is any football this year, I plan on streaming it online. No more redzone money for the NFL from me and I am certainly not alone. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

It depends. The whole “bleed green” sh*t makes sense when you are younger. If you are a fully grown adult and your identity is still tied that heavily to the names of your favorite sports teams from when you were a kid, you’re kind of a ******* weirdo. 25? I get it. 40? Settle down old fella. 

That said if the nickname was a racial epithet I would have stopped rooting for them a while ago, I’d be happy about the change, and I would probably embrace the team again.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

4 minutes ago, bgivs21 said:

I like how you claim you're a big fan of the team changing its name and then in the next paragraph laugh at the fans outrage claiming its "just a name". By that logic, why were you a fan of changing it in the first place then? 

Think about it for a while, you'll get it eventually, lol. :-k

Personally, professional sports is on a downward slope for me. I already stopped watching NBA, mlb etc. I have watched a bit more UFC though. With that said, I'm on the fans side, it just seems as though the league has continued to kow tow to a vocal minority. I certainly would be pissed if the Jets changed their name, why what's the point? 

If there is any football this year, I plan on streaming it online. No more redzone money for the NFL from me and I am certainly not alone. 

You very much echo many of the Redskins fans today.  Especially those of a particular political affiliation.

• Thumb Down 3

21 minutes ago, slats said:

As I've gotten older, I've dropped just about every sport outside of the Jets and the NFL. A name change, quite honestly, would probably result in another degree of separation between me and whatever they chose to call themselves. I don't think I'd be outraged or anything, just think I'd be like, "ho-hum," and potentially, subtly start to drift away. 

Me to a T

I like the Jets I like the green and white yes I'd be pissed. Don't really know how I'd react but yes I'd be pissed.

For the record I like the Redskins name and uniform and I don't care. I think it's stupid and PC that we're tearing everything in the world apart right now. It's the name of a f****** football team like the Vikings and the Cowboys that's all it ever meant!

What's next are people going to be offended that Darth Vader is black and was voiced by a black man? Does that mean black people are bad in the universe? This is just ridiculousness.

Somebody needs to go back to the 90s and find a big box of chill pills lol!

Oh yeah this is not a political statement it's a current cultural opinion. George Carlin was right and the pussification of this country continues! Everybody should stop being such an over-sensitive Cry-Baby! Where is it written that people are not to be offended and constantly have to be catered to?

Does anybody really think that Native Americans are walking around on the reservation offended by the Washington Redskins!? Seriously?

in the words of Robby Anderson.. 

"people be stupid"

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 2
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, bgivs21 said:

I get the forum rules, but this entire name change subject has a huge basis in politics. You cannot have a conversation without it. 

In some regard yes but comment from the other poster was just inserted to inflame.

• Upvote 2

39 minutes ago, Lurker89 said:

Take the Titans name back from Tennessee and go to our old school Titans jerseys.

I'll never understand why the Tennessee takes a decent team name and then sullies it with the softest baby blue color. It's heretical.

The baby blue is homage to their roots.  Love Ya Blue Oilers.  It is a shame the little oil derrick logo is gone.  That was a neat logo. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, bgivs21 said:

lol you contradict yourself and then cant even answer the question. 

It's not rocket science mate, really.  

I'll repeat what I wrote in the other thread:

Teams should not be named after ethnic groups and logos shouldn't be outdated racist caricatures of those ethnic groups.  

10 minutes ago, bgivs21 said:

Im just using your own reasoning against you, "it's just a name"?

Which is a reason why changing away from an offensive name isn't an issue.  It's not a defense OF an offensive name.

Again, not rocket science, not the "gotcha" you seem to think it is, lol.

8 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

In some regard yes but comment from the other poster was just inserted to inflame.

No, it was inserted because it's an observation of reality.  The vast majority of the most angry and "slippery slop", "what's next", "what about" folks over this issue appear to also share another similarity in their political views. 

I'm being pointedly general here specifically in respect to Max's no-politics rules for the very reason that we're not debating the politics aspect, even if at least some have turned this into an us vs. them political issue.  Hence why I didn't name a particular party or person or anything else to debate.  

10 minutes ago, Warfish said:

It's not rocket science mate, really.  

I'll repeat what I wrote in the other thread:

Teams should not be named after ethnic groups and logos shouldn't be outdated racist caricatures of those ethnic groups.  

Which is a reason why changing away from an offensive name isn't an issue.  It's not a defense OF an offensive name.

Again, not rocket science, not the "gotcha" you seem to think it is, lol.

I love how people on the internet use the term mate when it's not part of their everyday vocabulary. 

And you're right, it's not rocket sciene, if only you'd listen to yourself. You can claim whatever you want, the fact remains you said "it's just a name " why is every upset about it being changed. I can use your very same words and say "it's just a name" why are you upset if it doesn't change. And you can list every reason under the sun, it doesn't change the fact that it's just name, not hurting anyone on the planet. 

Also, you should drop the I'm smarter and better than everyone I don't agree with persona you're clearly trying to exude here. It's not really working for ya

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1

14 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

The baby blue is homage to their roots.  Love Ya Blue Oilers.  It is a shame the little oil derrick logo is gone.  That was a neat logo. 

Warren Moon made that baby blue cool... He's the only one who could make it cool. 

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

It depends. The whole “bleed green” sh*t makes sense when you are younger. If you are a fully grown adult and your identity is still tied that heavily to the names of your favorite sports teams from when you were a kid, you’re kind of a ******* weirdo. 25? I get it. 40? Settle down old fella. 

I kind of agree with this, but I see the other side.  Do you expect the 25 year old fan to grow more forgiving after another 15 (ahem, 25+ for some of us) years rabidly supporting their team?  You would hope that age brings maturity, but when I go to games, the 40 year olds I see don't strike me as particularly mature.

That said if the nickname was a racial epithet I would have stopped rooting for them a while ago, I’d be happy about the change, and I would probably embrace the team again.

I think this probably also goes with maturity and how much you buy into what the team is selling.  It can be a political discussion, but also goes with diet and exercise advice, and almost anything else.  Some people pick a side and then believe what that side is selling.  Most of us, I would hope, can look at something and see that, no matter what you think of the majority, something like "Redskins" could reasonably offend or insult. 

I think those that are outraged, lost sight of this and are probably doubly betrayed by the team first telling them that this was just some politically correct stunt that didn't actually bother any actual native americans (the only legit native american I knew referred to himself, without fail, as a "native american indian.") They also had Snyder telling people they "would NEVER, you can use caps, change the name."  Now they are betrayed, both by the name change and the fact that the bill of goods that the name wasn't racist is also being pulled out from under them.  That can hurt.  Add to that the fact that it will probably be something lame with "red" in it, we knew it wouldn't be pretty.

Personally, I would have kept rooting, but been embarrassed by the whole thing if I had been a Redskins fan.  Sort of the way I was embarrassed to root for Vick or Jason Taylor, or the way I am ashamed to root for Gregg Williams and his bounties and head hunting.  Eventually, all these people will feel relief and move on.