I Love It (Redskins Fans Outrage) - How Would YOU Feel?

Not sure. Names are pretty important. As is actual location. Look what happened with the Browns. They became the Ravens and it seems like many fans bailed and then just all became Browns fans again when the team came back. I think Washington will be OK since they are not moving, are keeping the color scheme and looks like they will keep "Red" in the name.  Kind of moot though because I doubt the Jets will ever move from the Tri State area

20 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I'm being pointedly general here specifically in respect to Max's no-politics rules for the very reason that we're not debating the politics aspect.  

I'm honestly surprised this thread  has managed to avoid the "shutdown" so far ....

avoid evasive action GIF

Side note: Isn't all slop slippery?

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

I've been closely following the Redskins name issue (full disclosure, I'm a huge fan of the pending name-change,  no matter what the new name turns out to be).

I am absolutely LOVING how pissed off so many Redskins fans are over this issue.  Especially today, they are in full blown outrage mode, claiming they'll drop the team and never watch again (despite claiming to be Skins fans for 30, 40, 50 years, etc.)

Doesn't seem to matter that it's just a name.  Doesn't seem to matter that the team is the same team (this isn't the Ravens/Browns issue).  Doesn't seem to matter that it's still the home town Washington Team (I'm in the DC area, hence why I hear this all day not Jets stuff, lol).  And winning/losing is rarely cited as a reason, this is 100% the name.  Seems the colors will stay the same, so it's literally just a name and logo.

I got to admit, I am thoroughly enjoying this.  

With that said, how would YOU, as a Jets Fan, feel is next year Woody Johnson comes back to the States and says "the name Jets is old fashioned and boring and outdated, it was cool in the 60's when Jets were the new thing, now, it's old tech.  We're going to change the name in 2021".

Would you be like the Redskins fans and be in full outrage?

Would you stop being a Jets/New Name Fan and seek out a new team?

Would you no longer see the new named team as "your team"?

Would you (as some of the pissed off callers today) start rooting for the Bills, the Patriots, the Phins?  Some of these guys are saying they'll start being Philly fans, lol.

And do you think it would be different because of the socio-political aspects of the Skins name change (i.e. the pressure, the political correctness, etc.) vs. "just changing it" in my scenario above?

What do you think?

I'm still pissed they changed the name to the Jets from the Titans.  

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

36 minutes ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

Yup. But then.... Packers, Rams, Giants, Lions... what isn't outdated? They're all kind of lame, but that's the nature of sports monikers.

The soccer clubs do it better. Just clean, classic FC Barcelona, AC Milan or Manchester United. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Lurker89 said:

Warren Moon made that baby blue cool... He's the only one who could make it cool. 

Dude, guys like Ken Burrough, Earl Campbell, Dan Pastorini, Robert Brazile, Curley Culp and White Shoes Johnson were all ultra-cool in that outfit before Warren Moon even made it out of Canada.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

12 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I kind of agree with this, but I see the other side.  Do you expect the 25 year old fan to grow more forgiving after another 15 (ahem, 25+ for some of us) years rabidly supporting their team?  You would hope that age brings maturity, but when I go to games, the 40 year olds I see don't strike me as particularly mature.

I think this probably also goes with maturity and how much you buy into what the team is selling.  It can be a political discussion, but also goes with diet and exercise advice, and almost anything else.  Some people pick a side and then believe what that side is selling.  Most of us, I would hope, can look at something and see that, no matter what you think of the majority, something like "Redskins" could reasonably offend or insult. 

I think those that are outraged, lost sight of this and are probably doubly betrayed by the team first telling them that this was just some politically correct stunt that didn't actually bother any actual native americans (the only legit native american I knew referred to himself, without fail, as a "native american indian.") They also had Snyder telling people they "would NEVER, you can use caps, change the name."  Now they are betrayed, both by the name change and the fact that the bill of goods that the name wasn't racist is also being pulled out from under them.  That can hurt.  Add to that the fact that it will probably be something lame with "red" in it, we knew it wouldn't be pretty.

Personally, I would have kept rooting, but been embarrassed by the whole thing if I had been a Redskins fan.  Sort of the way I was embarrassed to root for Vick or Jason Taylor, or the way I am ashamed to root for Gregg Williams and his bounties and head hunting.  Eventually, all these people will feel relief and move on.

In fairness Snyder has been an embarrassment to the fan base and the NFL for years.   He really should have been forced to sell the franchise years ago.  

I really never cared about the name of the teams I rooted for.  I root for the teams in the area I grew up in and have the ability to go to the games live and root for them or watch the home feed.  I moved to AZ a few years ago and attend and root for the Cardinals.   In many ways the Jets and Cardinals are like rooting for the same team one in red one in green both run by incompetents.  

I grew up a Met and Jets fan and still have allegiance to both of them.  When I lived in Boston I rooted for the Yankees who I hated as a kid because they had the NY on the cap.  My hatred of the Giants have faded simply because they are a NY team and since they are in a different division it generally has no impact on the Jets.   Of course when I was younger and living in NY that wasn't the case.

I view it like the baseball song take me out to the ballgame.  Root for the home team.  Doesn't matter what the sport is rinse repeat.  

30 minutes ago, bgivs21 said:

I love how people on the internet use the term mate when it's not part of their everyday vocabulary. 

Except I'm Scottish, and it is part of my everyday vocabulary.  

Also, you should drop the I'm smarter and better than everyone I don't agree with persona you're clearly trying to exude here. It's not really working for ya

If you say so.

You not understanding the difference between "it's just a name" when the name is inoffensive and "no offensive names" as a general rule, doesn't really paint you in a great light in my book, but to each their own.  It's clear which side of this issue you're on.

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, PS17 said:

The soccer clubs do it better. Just clean, classic FC Barcelona, AC Milan or Manchester United. 

I kinda agree actually.  Teams represent their cities first and foremost.

With that said, I do love me some cute logos.  After all, it helps us make fun of the Phins every year, lol.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, #27TheDominator said:

Dude, guys like Ken Burrough, Earl Campbell, Dan Pastorini, Robert Brazile, Curley Culp and White Shoes Johnson were all ultra-cool in that outfit before Warren Moon even made it out of Canada.

Alright fine...   I concede there were other cool players in that horrible baby blue color.  ?

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

Yup. But then.... Packers, Rams, Giants, Lions... what isn't outdated? They're all kind of lame, but that's the nature of sports monikers.

Rams and Lions are animals that are supposed to exude toughness. Giants are mythical creatures known for being big and strong. I wouldn't consider those outdated.

By that same token the Jets are supposed to symbolize flight and speed, so I guess there's that. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, slats said:

As I've gotten older, I've dropped just about every sport outside of the Jets and the NFL. A name change, quite honestly, would probably result in another degree of separation between me and whatever they chose to call themselves. I don't think I'd be outraged or anything, just think I'd be like, "ho-hum," and potentially, subtly start to drift away. 

Bungalow Bill

• Haha 1

If the name change To my team came after years of debate, was as to understand with the reasons given over the Redskins, who cares?  The owners the same, HC the same, the players the same, my seats at games the same.   

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

The owners the same.....

For the 'skins, THAT is the best reason to drop the team, lol.  Snyder is god awful as an owner, lol.

I betcha if the name change was going hand-in-hand with an OWNERSHIP change, there would be near-universal applause here in DC.

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

With that said, how would YOU, as a Jets Fan, feel is next year Woody Johnson comes back to the States and says "the name Jets is old fashioned and boring and outdated, it was cool in the 60's when Jets were the new thing, now, it's old tech.  We're going to change the name in 2021".   

Would you be like the Redskins fans and be in full outrage?

YES. I'm a Jets fan. Like it or not, it's part of my identity. (Sad but true).

Would you stop being a Jets/New Name Fan and seek out a new team?  

No

Would you no longer see the new named team as "your team"?

It wouldn't be the same. 

Would you (as some of the pissed off callers today) start rooting for the Bills, the Patriots, the Phins?  Some of these guys are saying they'll start being Philly fans, lol.

No, that's ridiculous.

And do you think it would be different because of the socio-political aspects of the Skins name change (i.e. the pressure, the political correctness, etc.) vs. "just changing it" in my scenario above?

It would be worse. Completely arbitrary decision vs one that if you agree with or not, understand why it is happening.

What do you think?

I think if you remember the new uniform thread, you know changing the Jets to something else would blow that one out of the water.

• Upvote 2

I wouldn't mind a name change, it would give me an excuse to buy a new set of hats, hoodies, and jackets.

Especially changing the name from New York to New Jersey, which is a legitimate beef, it's disrespectful to the citizens of the Garden State. 

SAR I

• Thumb Down 1

It would hard for me to know how I'd truly feel unless it happened but I definitely wouldn't like it.

Like all reasonable adults I think we inevitably all realize we're rooting for the laundry, a corporate brand. And the older you get the more other things in life take priority. But the three things that connect my memories and fandom from childhood and adolescence with the team today are the team being 1) New York based, 2) called the Jets, and 3) the color green. So frankly, changing any one of those things is a pretty big departure that wouldn't be easy to accept.

• Upvote 3

34 minutes ago, Lurker89 said:

Warren Moon made that baby blue cool... He's the only one who could make it cool. 

Not close to being the only one.

Earl Campbell?  Eddie George? 

They’ve had more than a few cool players through their history.  Bruce  Mathews, Brazile.  Good list

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Not sure. Names are pretty important. As is actual location. Look what happened with the Browns. They became the Ravens and it seems like many fans bailed and then just all became Browns fans again when the team came back. I think Washington will be OK since they are not moving, are keeping the color scheme and looks like they will keep "Red" in the name.  Kind of moot though because I doubt the Jets will ever move from the Tri State area

The Colts/Ravens is a great example IMO.

The Colts left, Baltimore was crushed at the time.  I have family from there, and heard the stories.  

Then the Browns moved into town and became the Ravens (the right way for a move IMO, leaving the HISTORY behind in Cleveland).

Colts fans didn't say "Can't root for them, not the Colts".  They near-universally embraced the team, many liked the name (some were more meh on it), but they didn't reject the new team because they weren't named the Colts.

The hierarchy of loyalties for most fans:  City/Region <-------Team/Name/Colors <-------- Players/Coaches

I think alot of folks will SAY they won;t root for their team they've rooted for for 30 years if they change thier name, but I think the vast majority of those fans will, in fact, be there, in new logo gear, on opening day just as usual.  

Moving, THAT is the one that is the most fatal for fans.  In the above example, very few Colts fans rooted for them after they left Baltimore.    

It's pretty simple. 

If anyone outside of the native american population truly cared about changing the name for altruistic reasons, it would have happened in the first 87 years the team was in existence. 

This happened for one reason and one reason alone, big corporate entities were scared of losing customers or being "cancelled". 

I reveal in the irony that cancel culture comes for everyone eventually. There are probably hundreds of thousands of skins fans that called for some celebrity or business to be cancelled for any reason over the last couple years, but now that it comes for something of theirs.... derrrrpppp. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Samtorobby47 said:

Don’t give a damn about the name. Care more about the city/location. 

The location is who I am, where I’m from
, so if they changed to the San Antonio Jets.....that’s rough. 

Generally I agree.

Although I go a step further, it's where you grew up in your formative/first-started-liking-sports years, even more than where we are today.

I lived on Long Island for a now rather brief period of my childhood.  Age 1-11.  I'm in my mid-40's now, and spent 30 years here in DC.

If it was about where I was, I'd be a Redskins Fan (and pondering if I liked Redwolves or not).

But nope, I'm a Jets Fan.  Because of those formative years.

28 minutes ago, Warfish said:

With that said, I do love me some cute logos. 

Growing up, one of my favorite uniforms in sports was the Toronto Raptors. I'm now 34 and still annoyed they changed it, and I actually don't care one bit about the raptors, and am generally ambivalent about the NBA as a whole. 

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Not close to being the only one.

Earl Campbell?  Eddie George? 

They’ve had more than a few cool players through their history.  Bruce  Mathews, Brazile.  Good list

Always loved Eddie George. Class act with a fierce running style and a lot of fun to use in Madden in the early 2000's.

A lot of closeted Titans/Oilers fandom around here.?

But baby blue is still ?

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Generally I agree.

Although I go a step further, it's where you grew up in your formative/first-started-liking-sports years, even more than where we are today.

I lived on Long Island for a now rather brief period of my childhood.  Age 1-11.  I'm in my mid-40's now, and spent 30 years here in DC.

If it was about where I was, I'd be a Redskins Fan (and pondering if I liked Redwolves or not).

But nope, I'm a Jets Fan.  Because of those formative years.

So you were in DC when the Bullets became the Wizards. Did anyone care then?

If I recall, the owner did not want to be associated with gun violence, but it was sort of odd because they were originally the Baltimore Bullets (as in Bullet Train, not bullets to shoot people with),  I could see changing the name bc it was no longer relevant (altho the Los Angeles (trolley) Dodgers and Lakers don't make sense either) but picking Wizards was a bit silly.

2 hours ago, Lurker89 said:

Always loved Eddie George. Class act with a fierce running style and a lot of fun to use in Madden in the early 2000's.

A lot of closeted Titans/Oilers fandom around here.?

But baby blue is still ?

Nah, no love, just liked those players.  

And Bum Phillips