I Love It (Redskins Fans Outrage) - How Would YOU Feel?

10 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Nah, no love, just liked those plate.  And Bum Phillips 

They got robbed on the Renfo TD.  Another in the long list of teams that got screwed over by league zebras calling the game dirty in favor of the Squeelers. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, johnnysd said:

Not sure. Names are pretty important. As is actual location. Look what happened with the Browns. They became the Ravens and it seems like many fans bailed and then just all became Browns fans again when the team came back. I think Washington will be OK since they are not moving, are keeping the color scheme and looks like they will keep "Red" in the name.  Kind of moot though because I doubt the Jets will ever move from the Tri State area

NY Jets are staying in NJ... LOLZ... 

I'd be totally fine with a name change, though I'd hope for a cool name rather than something lame.  If the Jets were to change to the Starships, for example, so be it.  Yeah, get rid of silly team names that refer to skin color or ethnicity. 

Shakespeare, in Romeo and Juliet, says something about a rose by any other name would still smell as sweet.

How about just give me a good team to root for?

11 minutes ago, y2k8 said:

So you were in DC when the Bullets became the Wizards. Did anyone care then?

There was definitely some who cared, aye.  There is a great article someplace about the process the Bullets went through to get to Wizards, and how little support there was for Wizards, or any name in the pool really.  It was a bad process, involved the fans too much (a bad idea IMO, you'll never make them all happy), and there really wasn't a huge winner, just a "yeah, ok, I guess the Wizards" end result.  

And literally no one loves Wizards today.  It's just a bad name tbqh.  Definitely a lesson for the Redwolves (or whatever) to avoid.

Of course, winning trumps all. Had the Wiz won a title, maybe that name would be beloved now.  Fans love winners.

11 minutes ago, y2k8 said:

If I recall, the owner did not want to be associated with gun violence, but it was sort of odd because they were originally the Baltimore Bullets (as in Bullet Train, not bullets to shoot people with),  I could see changing the name bc it was no longer relevant (altho the Los Angeles (trolley) Dodgers and Lakers don't make sense either) but picking Wizards was a bit silly.

The Owner had a friend (family?) that was a victim of gun violence, and the City at the time was the murder capital of the world.  A real cesspool crime wise at that time.  No one really pressured them the way the Skins have been pressured for decades.  The Owner just made a decision, and folks were like "yeah, makes sense" or "Noooooooo!". 

Great example, as this is a name change I didn't support and wasn't (IMO) necessary.

• Upvote 1

I genuinely like the name "New York Titans" more, lmao.  When I first learned that was the Jets original name, all I could think of is "why in the world did we change that?"

Relocation of the team (not including a move to NJ entirely/another local area)?  Yeah I'd probably become a Ravens fan (my next favorite "local" team).  

Simple name change?  I could easily live with it.

Suspect in a few weeks they will get over it in a deluge of marketing and merchandising for the new nickname.

Only yahoos and losers would bother calling into a sports radio show. If the last few months have taught us anything, it is that sports really is the toy department of life. 

If they try to come for the Fightin' Irish, will readily bash them off the head with a Jameson's bottle on my way to the bar.  ND  named for the Fighting 69th Regiment of the US Army that at it's origin was composed mostly of Irish guys. The unit  still exists today. And fulfills a stereotype that ...kinda fits. In 23andme, I'm 95% Irish, Had one grandpa who despite an engineering degree from RPI drove a Schaefer beer truck for 25 years, the other owned a bar. My father-in-law from Belfast managed his dad's bar there, before joining the US Army where he... managed an officers' club on a NATO base for 2 years, and then became a cop. Don't think this is very unusual. At all. Don't know any person who is Irish or has Irish ancestry that views it as a slur. Quite the contrary. 

• Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

I genuinely like the name "New York Titans" more, lmao.  When I first learned that was the Jets original name, all I could think of is "why in the world did we change that?"

Relocation of the team (not including a move to NJ entirely/another local area)?  Yeah I'd probably become a Ravens fan (my next favorite "local" team).  

Simple name change?  I could easily live with it.

Same for me.  Given how long I've lived away from NY, the Jets being a NY team is one of the few ties I have left to NY.

They move to Topeka....yeah, I just say screw it, and go full bore Washington Redwhatevers fan at that point.  Least then I get TV games, sports talk and ability to go to games easy.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Same for me.  Given how long I've lived away from NY, the Jets being a NY team is one of the few ties I have left to NY.

They move to Topeka....yeah, I just say screw it, and go full bore Washington Redwhatevers fan at that point.  Least then I get TV games, sports talk and ability to go to games easy.

Titans very intentionally aped the Giants. Jets is kinda sterile though, it's settled. Suspect they got it from "West Side Story" more than anything else. 

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Except I'm Scottish, and it is part of my everyday vocabulary.  

If you say so.

You not understanding the difference between "it's just a name" when the name is inoffensive and "no offensive names" as a general rule, doesn't really paint you in a great light in my book, but to each their own.  It's clear which side of this issue you're on.

would explain why most of your posts are c rap!

ugh... just googled who said that and the saying from SNL is "if its not scottish it's craop!"...

/fail

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, TeddEY said:

Can't believe I cut this gem out...

Holy sh*t.  If White Boomers want to stop being called racist, stop saying insanely racist sh*t, like "walking around the reservation."

I went to school with everybody on the reservation starting in 6th grade. They are my friends and I'm allowed to speak for them. We've always been to each other's weddings funerals cookouts Etc. Trust me they're not offended by the term Washington Redskins

1 minute ago, Greenbloodblitz said:

Trust me they're not offended by the term Washington Redskins

Some 49 percent of more than 1,000 Native Americans in a recent University of California, Berkeley, study indicated the name (Redskins) was offensive, while the rate rose to 67 percent among people “heavily engaged in their native or tribal cultures.”

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, TheClashFan said:

I'd be totally fine with a name change, though I'd hope for a cool name rather than something lame.  If the Jets were to change to the Starships, for example, so be it.  

Well then we'd have to move to one of the 25 or so towns/cities in the US called Jefferson.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, sourceworx said:

Rams and Lions are animals that are supposed to exude toughness. Giants are mythical creatures known for being big and strong. I wouldn't consider those outdated.

By that same token the Jets are supposed to symbolize flight and speed, so I guess there's that. 

Yeah, I get it. But they're all terribly old and cliched ways of labeling teams. Time to get creative and edgy. TomShane will come up with some brilliant alternatives, I'm sure. :)

3 minutes ago, Greenbloodblitz said:

I went to school with everybody on the reservation starting in 6th grade. They are my friends and I'm allowed to speak for them. We've always been to each other's weddings funerals cookouts Etc. Trust me they're not offended by the term Washington Redskins

Well that settles it.  You've got indigenous friends so you must be right!

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, TeddEY said:

Imagine typing this out, and thinking, "Indeed, this will prove my point.  The color of a fictional spacesuit is, in fact, the same thing as an actual racial slur."

It did prove my point... if you don't get it .maybe you're just one of the Sheep? So go follow along and say what you think is correct and acceptable  according to the latest media.

My girlfriend is Hispanic my kids are Italian, I'm Irish and German and most of my friends are Black.

I could care less what you think. Stick it up your ass Mr. Politically correct. I don't have to like everybody we all don't have to get along and that's reality. go save some whales or something LOL. Get yourself some solar panels

The Colts/Ravens is a great example IMO.

The Colts left, Baltimore was crushed at the time.  I have family from there, and heard the stories.  

Then the Browns moved into town and became the Ravens (the right way for a move IMO, leaving the HISTORY behind in Cleveland).

Colts fans didn't say "Can't root for them, not the Colts".  They near-universally embraced the team, many liked the name (some were more meh on it), but they didn't reject the new team because they weren't named the Colts.

The hierarchy of loyalties for most fans:  City/Region <-------Team/Name/Colors <-------- Players/Coaches

I think alot of folks will SAY they won;t root for their team they've rooted for for 30 years if they change thier name, but I think the vast majority of those fans will, in fact, be there, in new logo gear, on opening day just as usual.  

Moving, THAT is the one that is the most fatal for fans.  In the above example, very few Colts fans rooted for them after they left Baltimore.    

I think you have it backwards.  The reason for the Browns name staying in Cleveland was that Baltimore was sympathetic to being seen as team thieves.  The Colts didn't just leave.  They ran off secretly in the night.  I'm pretty sure that Mayflower uses a different name on their moving trucks here.  They were constantly vandalized.  I actually went to a CFL Baltimore Stallions game.  They supported that team to show that they could support an NFL team. 

1 hour ago, y2k8 said:

I live in New Jersey and when I go other places say I'm from New York. 

So, you're a liar?

1 hour ago, y2k8 said:

So you were in DC when the Bullets became the Wizards. Did anyone care then?

If I recall, the owner did not want to be associated with gun violence, but it was sort of odd because they were originally the Baltimore Bullets (as in Bullet Train, not bullets to shoot people with),  I could see changing the name bc it was no longer relevant (altho the Los Angeles (trolley) Dodgers and Lakers don't make sense either) but picking Wizards was a bit silly.

Utah Jazz.

13 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Titans very intentionally aped the Giants. Jets is kinda sterile though, it's settled. Suspect they got it from "West Side Story" more than anything else. 

The Jets name is on life support.

Jets - West side story = hispaniphobic trope.

Fighter Jets = Built by the military / government war monger industrial complex.

NY Butterflies.

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Greenbloodblitz said:

It did prove my point... if you don't get it .maybe you're just one of the Sheep? So go follow along and say what you think is correct and acceptable  according to the latest media.

My girlfriend is Hispanic my kids are Italian, I'm Irish and German and most of my friends are Black.

I could care less what you think. Stick it up your ass Mr. Politically correct. I don't have to like everybody we all don't have to get along and that's reality. go save some whales or something LOL. Get yourself some solar panels

Imagine comparing a racial slur to Darth Vader's suit, then typing out this angry post to someone who called you out for it.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Imagine comparing a racial slur to Darth Vader's suit, then typing out this angry post to someone who called you out for it.

I'm not angry dude I'm laughing. Also I'm proving my point that it's okay to have an opinion. Most people don't even get along with their family and the people they grew up with in their house it's okay to accept our differences.

Jefferson Airplane to Jefferson Starship, worst name change ever! ?

The Screaming Abdabs went with a pretty cool name change.

3 hours ago, Savage69 said:

I was a Titan fan from the teams start in 1960. In 1963 I joined the AF and was a part of SAC so when they changed the name to Jets it was cool for me. :beer:

Jets were part of the reason I went USAF

2 hours ago, bgivs21 said:

Also, you should drop the I'm smarter and better than everyone I don't agree with persona you're clearly trying to exude here. It's not really working for ya

Dont forget more handsome. War fish is way more handsome than the rest of us too. 

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Sure.  Everyone says "stick it up your ass" to a stranger in a light-hearted way.  

Stick it up your ass may have been a little harsh. I'll take that back. However I do not like, nor do I agree with being forced into thinking a certain way. My friends don't mind being called black they call themselves black. I didn't say anything racist whatsoever. And I don't like being called a racist. in fact James Earl Jones who was born with a stutter and is the voice of Darth Vader, is a thespian Shakespearean actor and calls himself a negro. That's kind of outdated isn't it?

The only point I'm trying to make is that this ridiculous politically correct culture we're living in has everybody about to pop like a zit! I'm just saying it's silly. when I was growing up I thought the Redskins uniforms and logo were fierce. I never thought of it as anything other than that and that's the way it was meant. We are all just going overboard with the P.C. thing at this point.

I don't want to live in a frigid world where I have to walk on eggshells all the time and nobody can even laugh at each other or ourselves-

All of our cultures and differences is what makes the world go round-